Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Ah... it's good to be back home - even in temperatures well below zero. Now I can focus on things like participating in the quiz and JL's excellent set of head scratchers.

37. It's 1977 and you are in Winnipeg. You need to travel to Phoenix and are surprised to find there's a direct flight from YWG to PHX. Of course, it makes five stops en route but so much the better! Identify the airline, all five stops in order and the equipment. Frontier operating a B737-200. The first stop was MOT and the second stop was BIS. This flight also stopped at DEN and ABQ.....but it did not stop at RAP.

The only thing that comes to mind for me is Casper, Wyoming. Especially given the 737 operation. In the old days, the 580s used to route down through Nebraska.

56. If you wanted to fly into Summerside (YSU) on Prince Edward Island on board a jet at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you travel on?

I only have a clue on this one from having recently perused the OAG for future questions. Without grabbing the OAG to look it up (where's the fun in that?) the airline name was Atlantic something or other and it operated a Fokker F.28. As for the name, geez - shot in the dark here. Atlantic Provincial Airways sounds like a nice name... Pray I'm not wasting my time and it's EPA, but I think they were gone by '95.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 17, 2020 at 11:57 am
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
46. Let's try Eastern via MCI

The status of the French overseas departments to France would be analogous to Hawaii to the U.S. The collectives and territories (such as St Pierre & Miquelon and Polynesia) would be more akin to Puerto Rico, USVI and Guam (and Channel Islands and Manx to the U.K.) except the French territories and collectives are represented in the French legislature (as are French citizens.residing in non-French lands).

The Channel Islands are a weird historical and political relic as they owe their nominal allegiance to a pre-British figurehead.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Ah... it's good to be back home - even in temperatures well below zero. Now I can focus on things like participating in the quiz and JL's excellent set of head scratchers.

37. It's 1977 and you are in Winnipeg. You need to travel to Phoenix and are surprised to find there's a direct flight from YWG to PHX. Of course, it makes five stops en route but so much the better! Identify the airline, all five stops in order and the equipment. Frontier operating a B737-200. The first stop was MOT and the second stop was BIS. This flight also stopped at DEN and ABQ.....but it did not stop at RAP.

The only thing that comes to mind for me is Casper, Wyoming. Especially given the 737 operation. In the old days, the 580s used to route down through Nebraska.
Sounds a bit chilly up there in the far north country! We've had a mild winter here in southern Louisiana thus far with only four mornings where the temperature was below freezing (and only one hard freeze where the temp dropped to 25 degrees F in the LFT area). There's a strong cold front now headed out way from Canada and it appears we'll experience our fifth occurrence of freezing overnight temperatures this coming week......and our supply of firewood is in good shape.

37. Ah, it wasn't Casper (CPR). Please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
46. Let's try Eastern via MCI

The Channel Islands are a weird historical and political relic as they owe their nominal allegiance to a pre-British figurehead.
46. Nope, it wasn't Eastern. And I do not recall any nonstop service between Toronto and Kansas City, but I could be wrong, of course. Please guess again, sir!

As for the Channel Islands, I just might resemble your remark as my Grandfather's antecedents on my Mom's side of the family are from Jersey and I look just like my Grand-dad.....
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
55. You're in Chicago in 1991 and it's time to head back to Los Angeles. Now you could catch a nonstop.....but where's the fun in that?! Especially when you've found an interesting direct flight which makes three stops en route and operates six days a week to LAX. Identify the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the airline, all three stops and the aircraft.
55- we have had few if any answers that involve Southwest Airlines, but I think WN fits the bill here ... a 737-500 operating from Midway (MDW) with stops at Nashville (BNA), Houston Hobby (HOU), and Phoenix (PHX)
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
45. If you wanted to depart from Palm Springs on board a DC9-10 in 1987, what airline would you call and where would you fly to nonstop? And there was only one nonstop destination served by the airline in question from PSP at this time.
It wasn't Sunworld or Republic and the destination wasn't LAS or PHX
45- I think Continental still had the baby Nine in their fleet at this time, and that would imply Denver (DEN) as the destination
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
55- we have had few if any answers that involve Southwest Airlines, but I think WN fits the bill here ... a 737-500 operating from Midway (MDW) with stops at Nashville (BNA), Houston Hobby (HOU), and Phoenix (PHX)
Now that is an excellent guess as we indeed have not had any quiz items concerning Southwest for awhile now.

However....

55. It wasn't Southwest, the equipment wasn't a B737-500 and stops were not made at Nashville, Houston Hobby or Phoenix. And we can also safely say the flight in question departed from Chicago O'Hare (ORD).
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
45- I think Continental still had the baby Nine in their fleet at this time, and that would imply Denver (DEN) as the destination
45. Correct! And the DC9 operated on this flight probably came from Texas International. Here's the complete sched.....

CO 1768: Palm Springs (PSP) 3:05p - 6:05p Denver (DEN) 6:55p - 9:10p Lincoln (LNK)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y (8 seats in F and 75 seats in Y)
Equip: DC9
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Only idle curiosity on my part, but how does it work for the Isle of Man?
The Isle of Man, like Jersey, is not legally part of the UK nor the EU, is also part of the immigration control area, but unlike Jersey they apply UK taxes like VAT so there are no customs either. Thus flights from Britain are treated as wholly domestic. The few flights from Dublin are the same. There are odd holiday flights per year returning from Spain, for which one officer from the tax department dons a uniform and checks both passports and customs. Being the Isle of Man, most of the returning passengers probably know him, or are even related. Because it's a significant offshore banking centre they do have a heavier presence in financial fraud detection. The UK regional tax office in Liverpool has long helped them out.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-governm...cise-division/

I have to do all this for my day job, having customers in both places ! Last flight from London City to the Isle of Man was on an Eastern Airways Saab 2000, standing in for a BA commuter one. For the equivalent of a major piece of complex UK tax legislation, with many manuals, I phoned up their tax office. Finding the relevant officer only worked 3 mornings a week I called again and she said she would email me the whole literature in a 10 page Word document, mentioning in passing that she knew all the relevant organisations anyway, including the couple that needed watching ...
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

56. If you wanted to fly into Summerside (YSU) on Prince Edward Island on board a jet at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you travel on?

I only have a clue on this one from having recently perused the OAG for future questions. Without grabbing the OAG to look it up (where's the fun in that?) the airline name was Atlantic something or other and it operated a Fokker F.28. As for the name, geez - shot in the dark here. Atlantic Provincial Airways sounds like a nice name... Pray I'm not wasting my time and it's EPA, but I think they were gone by '95.
56. Close enough! The airline in question was Atlantic Island Airways (UZ) which apparently was the only air carrier serving Summerside on Prince Edward Island up in the Canadian maritimes at this time. Here are the inbound eastbound schedules which I think were also the only two scheduled flights of the day into YSU in early 1995.....

UZ 628: Ottawa (YOW) 10:15a - 12:45p Summerside (YSU)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays and Sundays
Service class: Y
Meal service: Snack
Equip: Fokker F.28 Fellowship

UZ 504: Toronto (YYZ) 8:20p - 11:05p Moncton (YQM) 11:20p (est.) - 11:55p Summerside (YSU)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays
Service class: Y
Meal service: Snack
Equip: Fokker F.28 Fellowship

I think the F.28 aircraft operated by Atlantic Island may have come from USAir.....and I also believe this start-up wasn't around very long.

Eastern Provincial was definitely no longer around by 1995 but had served Summerside back in the late 1960's and early 1970's with the Handley Page Dart Herald.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 17, 2020 at 9:23 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
In 2018 I spent a day in France with two people from the Isle of Man, who took pains to explain to everyone who would listen that they were not from the UK. Another person in our party told French people that the two of them were from Angleterre, but as she said it in French, they may not have noticed. I've also read a number of detective novels by George Bellairs that are set on the Isle of Man.

For a couple of other unusual island situations: Aruba, Curacao, and Sint Maarten are constituent countries of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, but are not part of the Netherlands, nor are they in the EU, nor do they use the Euro. The other Dutch islands in the Caribbean are "special municipalities" of the Netherlands and residents are Dutch nationals, although the special municipalities are not part of the EU. French Saint Martin, on the other hand, is an overseas collectivity of France and uses the Euro. (I'm deliberately overlooking all the EU "special provisions" that may apply.)

The Faroe Islands are a constituent of the Kingdom of Denmark, but not part of the EU. The Faroes issue their own currency, which is interchangeable (in the Faroes) with Danish currency, which also circulates, but Faroese currency doesn't circulate in Denmark and no one there, except possibly a bank, will accept it. The Faroes are not in the Schengen Area, but there is free travel throughout the Nordic Passport Union, so air passengers from Denmark, Norway, or Iceland encounter no customs or immigration, but passengers from Scotland do (or should - there is not necessarily anyone on duty).
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a couple of other unusual island situations: Aruba, Curacao, and Sint Maarten are constituent countries of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, but are not part of the Netherlands, nor are they in the EU, nor do they use the Euro. The other Dutch islands in the Caribbean are "special municipalities" of the Netherlands and residents are Dutch nationals, although the special municipalities are not part of the EU.....
A hopefully interesting little fact which we learned during our birthday trip last year.....

The highest point in the Netherlands is stated as being Mr. Scenery which has a summit elevation of 2,910 feet. And Mt. Scenery is located on the Dutch-controlled island of Saba in the Caribbean.

Some also may recall our air travel adventure to Saba (SAB) courtesy of WinAir last April. Our flight was delayed due to a decision by WinAir to stop at St. Bart's en route to Saba. This stop wasn't on the schedule and the resulting delay was compounded by an apparent paper work problem with WinAir's flight operations dept. which meant we sat on the tarmac at St. Bart's for awhile longer. Well, the airfield at Saba is a strictly daytime only affair with the airport only open from sunrise to sunset. So now we were fast approaching sunset as we departed St. Bart's for Saba. The flight crew got the old Twin Otter up to around 170 knots on the way over and we landed at Saba ten minutes before sunset. SBH has a very interesting runway as well as it's only 1,300 feet in length with sea cliffs on both ends and no overruns. It took several glasses of wine at the resort we were staying at before Lady K would forgive me following our landing at Saba......
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 17, 2020 at 9:24 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
It took several glasses of wine at the resort we were staying at before Lady K would forgive me following our landing at Saba.
I've heard before that the approach to Saba is quite, um, er, exciting.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
46. This airline was operating three daily direct one stop flights from Toronto to Houston at this time. All three flights stopped at the same city with the same aircraft type being operated on every one of these flights. Identify the air carrier, the stop, the equipment and the airport in Houston these flights arrived into

---
We're running out of airlines to ask if they fly to Houston! DFW was ruled out, which suggests AA but not really AA. I'm heading to the AA ticket counter!

American Airlines, YYZ - BNA - IAH, Boeing 727-200.

BNA was the fAAiled hub at Nashville, which had a number of lofty spokes, such as YYZ and IAH. Around 1989, AA's Sabre was famous for the one stop through hubs even though the equipment used might be different on the different legs of a flight number. So BNA is my current answer.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've heard before that the approach to Saba is quite, um, er, exciting.
Well, I thought it was absolutely great as I got to sit in the first row in the middle seat of the Twin Otter (which essentially translated to a jump seat position on the DHC-6 as there is no door between the pax cabin and the flight deck, of course) and got to witness and photograph the approach and landing at Saba. Wow! It reminded me of my time with Era Aviation up in Alaska when we would fly into short strips (not all of them paved) on board Era's Twin Otter aircraft. As a local on Saba explained to me, "Relax, mon, and have another rum drink. WinAir be OK".
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.