Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
2- I seem to recall that PHX wasn't actually AM's gateway city ... all their transborder flights actually went thru Tucson/TUS
2. Yep, the stop we are looking for here is Tucson. Here are the scheds....

AM 101: Phoenix (PHX) 1:45p - 2:15p Tucson (TUS) 2:30p - 8:50p Mexico City (MEX)
Freq: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays only
Service class: Y
Meal service: Dinner TUS-MEX (with tequila for dessert)
Equip: DC-9-10 ("El DC-9-oh")

Connecting to....

QF 581: Mexico City (MEX) 10:00p - 10:55p Acapulco (ACA) 11:55p - 4:00a+1 Papeete (PPT)
Freq: Saturdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service (ACA-PPT): F- "Champagne Supper", Y - "Supper"
Equip: Boeing 707 V-JET
Note: Complete routing for QF 581 was LHR - BDA- NAS - MEX - ACA - PPT - NAN - SYD
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
6- DEN-XXX-TPA-SRQ, 1985, not OZ D9S via STL -- how about a United 727-100 with the first stop in Cleveland/CLE
6. Nope, nope and nope.....

And I do not think United ever called their domestic first class "Executive Class" (see the hint).....

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 5, 2022 at 2:32 pm
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
5. It's 1980 and you've just stepped off a sailboat at the marina located adjacent to the old town section of San Juan. You will now travel to Munich. And this will be a fun trip as you will be picking up a brand new BMW at the car manufacturer's plant in Munich, the BMW Welt, and then embarking on a road trip to Austria, Switzerland and France. Two airlines will be involved with your journey from SJU to MUC with both operating nonstop flights with aircraft built by different manufacturers. You'll also have just under two and one half hours to make your connection. Identify both air carriers, the connecting airport and the different aircraft types.

Viasa, DC-8, San Juan - Paris Orly
Air France, 727-200, Paris Orly - Munich Riem
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
10. How about a DL 767-400 operating OGG-LAX connecting to a UA A320 doing LAX-PDX.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
5. It's 1980 and you've just stepped off a sailboat at the marina located adjacent to the old town section of San Juan. You will now travel to Munich. And this will be a fun trip as you will be picking up a brand new BMW at the car manufacturer's plant in Munich, the BMW Welt, and then embarking on a road trip to Austria, Switzerland and France. Two airlines will be involved with your journey from SJU to MUC with both operating nonstop flights with aircraft built by different manufacturers. You'll also have just under two and one half hours to make your connection. Identify both air carriers, the connecting airport and the different aircraft types.

Viasa, DC-8, San Juan - Paris Orly
Air France, 727-200, Paris Orly - Munich Riem
5. Nope, it wasn't Viasa departing from San Juan, the connection was not made at Paris Orly and the second flight was not operated by Air France with VA and AF not being involved with the itinerary in question. Nor was a B727-200 operated on the service into Munich.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 6, 2022 at 8:57 am Reason: clarification
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
10. How about a DL 767-400 operating OGG-LAX connecting to a UA A320 doing LAX-PDX.
10. Ah, it wasn't Delta departing from Maui, the connection was not made at LAX and the second flight wasn't operated by United. So we can completely rule out DL and UA while the B767-400 and the A320 were not operated on the flights in question as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 6, 2022 at 8:57 am Reason: clarification
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:24 am
Suspended

5. It's 1980 and you've just stepped off a sailboat at the marina located adjacent to the old town section of San Juan. You will now travel to Munich. And this will be a fun trip as you will be picking up a brand new BMW at the car manufacturer's plant in Munich, the BMW Welt, and then embarking on a road trip to Austria, Switzerland and France. Two airlines will be involved with your journey from SJU to MUC with both operating nonstop flights with aircraft built by different manufacturers. You'll also have just under I

I am starting to venture into fantasy land...

Spantax, DC-8. San Juan - Santa Cruz (Canary Islands)
Condor, 727-100 Santa Cruz - Munich Riem
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
1. It's 1963 and you need to travel from Port of Spain in the Caribbean to Atlanta. You've found a convenient schedule involving two airlines with a departure first thing in the morning out of POS. This flight will make two intermediate stops en route to the connecting airport where you'll have a leisurely two hours and 45 minutes to connect. Your second flight will make one intermediate stop en route and you'll arrive into ATL in time for dinner with friends. The same basic aircraft type will be operated on both flights. Identify both airlines, the two stops made by the first flight, the connecting airport, the stop made by the second flight and the equipment. Hint: These flights were operated with a jet aircraft type
1- I think the key here is "same basic aircraft type"

the only jet type with variants of significant size difference was the 707 (-100 and -300); while the OAG often differentiated between turbojet and turbofan variants (DC8/D8F, B3J/B3F for the 707-320), I don't recall a similar distinction for the 707-100 or the 720; that being said, there was little if any 707 service at ATL, and moreover I don't think a 707/720 combination would meet the "basic aircraft type" criterion

so I'll offer that this trip started with a Dominicana 720B from POS to Santo Domingo/SDQ and continuing to Montego Bay/MBJ, followed by a straight-pipe Eastern 720 from MBJ to ATL via Miami/MIA
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
5. It's 1980 and you've just stepped off a sailboat at the marina located adjacent to the old town section of San Juan. You will now travel to Munich. And this will be a fun trip as you will be picking up a brand new BMW at the car manufacturer's plant in Munich, the BMW Welt, and then embarking on a road trip to Austria, Switzerland and France. Two airlines will be involved with your journey from SJU to MUC with both operating nonstop flights with aircraft built by different manufacturers. You'll also have just under I

I am starting to venture into fantasy land...

Spantax, DC-8. San Juan - Santa Cruz (Canary Islands)
Condor, 727-100 Santa Cruz - Munich Riem
5. I completely ruled out Spantax in a clarification added this morning which can be found in post # 24925.

Meantime, the connection was not made in the Canary Islands while Condor was not involved with this itinerary as well nor was a B727-100.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:49 am

10. AA 757-200 OGG-SFO to AS/QX CRJ700 SFO-PDX
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1- I think the key here is "same basic aircraft type"

the only jet type with variants of significant size difference was the 707 (-100 and -300); while the OAG often differentiated between turbojet and turbofan variants (DC8/D8F, B3J/B3F for the 707-320), I don't recall a similar distinction for the 707-100 or the 720; that being said, there was little if any 707 service at ATL, and moreover I don't think a 707/720 combination would meet the "basic aircraft type" criterion

so I'll offer that this trip started with a Dominicana 720B from POS to Santo Domingo/SDQ and continuing to Montego Bay/MBJ, followed by a straight-pipe Eastern 720 from MBJ to ATL via Miami/MIA
1. Well, I certainly would not wish to lead anyone astray here with regard to the aircraft as I believe there were several airline-specific differences concerning the equipment we are looking for. However, it was indeed the same basic jet aircraft type.

Please also note I have always considered the turbojet-powered Boeing 720 and the turbofan-powered Boeing 720B to be different aircraft types. This distinction has indeed been noted as well in the OAG with "720" and "B2F" being the aircraft codes used for the respective types.

So the equipment in question wasn't the Boeing 720/720B while Domincana and Eastern were not involved with this itinerary with the connection not being made in Montego Bay. Please also note the first flight made two intermediate stops en route to connection airport - you've only included one stop in your guess. But one of those stops was Santo Domingo.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
10. AA 757-200 OGG-SFO to AS/QX CRJ700 SFO-PDX
10. American and Horizon Air operating code share service for AS are not involved in this itinerary, the connection was not made in San Francisco, and the aircraft types in question do not include the B757-200 or CRJ700.

And BTW, I do not think the CRJ700 as operated by Horizon Air had a first class cabin - I believe it was flown in an all-coach configuration.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
typing before coffee
  • completely missed the "two stops" for the first leg
  • I didn't remember "B2F" coding in the OAG until you mentioned it above, but haven't laid hand on a paper copy in a verrrrrrry looooooooong time
I don't have perfect recall of all ~25000 Quiz posts, but am well aware that certain team members are extremely finicky about type distinctions such as 720/720B and variants such as -100/-200/-300

let's try Pan Am with a DC8 POS-San Juan/SJU-SDQ-MIA and Delta with a D8F MIA-Orlando/MCO-ATL

Originally Posted by jlemon
10. ... I do not think the CRJ700 as operated by Horizon Air had a first class cabin - I believe it was flown in an all-coach configuration.
the one I was aboard in 2012 (N216AG, LGB-PDX) was all-Y, so if Horizon was flying them in 2005 they would have certainly been similarly configured

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 6, 2022 at 10:37 am
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:33 am
Suspended

I am determined to pick up the car in Munich. (I might add that the BMW Welt had not been built by 1980 but car pickup was possible in a BMW parking garage on the factory grounds).

Next answer is beyond fantasy land but borders on the psychiatric ward...
Air Canada, DC-8, San Juan - Montreal Mirabel
Philippines, 707, Montreal Mirabel - Munich Riem (and continuing to Manila)
Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:43 am

10. Aloha 737-700 OGG-BUR connecting to Alaska MD-80 BUR-PDX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.