FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 20, 12:40 pm
jlemon

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post

56. If you wanted to fly into Summerside (YSU) on Prince Edward Island on board a jet at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you travel on?

I only have a clue on this one from having recently perused the OAG for future questions. Without grabbing the OAG to look it up (where's the fun in that?) the airline name was Atlantic something or other and it operated a Fokker F.28. As for the name, geez - shot in the dark here. Atlantic Provincial Airways sounds like a nice name... Pray I'm not wasting my time and it's EPA, but I think they were gone by '95.
56. Close enough! The airline in question was Atlantic Island Airways (UZ) which apparently was the only air carrier serving Summerside on Prince Edward Island up in the Canadian maritimes at this time. Here are the inbound eastbound schedules which I think were also the only two scheduled flights of the day into YSU in early 1995.....

UZ 628: Ottawa (YOW) 10:15a - 12:45p Summerside (YSU)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays and Sundays
Service class: Y
Meal service: Snack
Equip: Fokker F.28 Fellowship

UZ 504: Toronto (YYZ) 8:20p - 11:05p Moncton (YQM) 11:20p (est.) - 11:55p Summerside (YSU)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays
Service class: Y
Meal service: Snack
Equip: Fokker F.28 Fellowship

I think the F.28 aircraft operated by Atlantic Island may have come from USAir.....and I also believe this start-up wasn't around very long.

Eastern Provincial was definitely no longer around by 1995 but had served Summerside back in the late 1960's and early 1970's with the Handley Page Dart Herald.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 17, 20 at 9:23 pm