Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
jlemon, your answer's got my vote.

I was once booked on a Presidential Airways flight but my inbound flight on a different airline was late and I midded my chance. Another late flight caused me to miss my chance to fly an Arrow Air DC-8 in the mid-eighties.

Speaking of flights aboard secondary airlines that I did manage to successfully connect to, here's a bonus question:

Back in the fall of 1984 I did a combination plane and train trip that involved flights aboard six airlines I'd never flown before. I'll supply you with the city pairs and see if you can fill in the blanks as to the airline and aircraft flown. Remember, none of the airlines involved were majors, and only one of them is still flying today.

After flying from Los Angeles into Phoenix aboard an America West 737-130, I made my way north to Las Vegas where we'll begin the question:

19 SEP Las Vegas to Ontario ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________
25 SEP Seattle to Pasco ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________ (Hint: I flew on a prop)
25 SEP Pasco to Seattle ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________ (Hint: The leased jet involved was on short term lease.)
07 OCT Miami to St. Petersburg ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________
07 OCT St. Petersburg to Orlando ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________
18 OCT St. Louis to Kansas City ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________
I'll kick this off....

19 SEP - LAS to ONT

Airline: Sunworld International

Aircraft: DC-9-10

BTW, I do not believe that Sunworld ever flew any scheduled international services.....but they did operate a small hub at LAS.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
I'll kick this off....

19 SEP - LAS to ONT

Airline: Sunworld International

Aircraft: DC-9-10

BTW, I do not believe that Sunworld ever flew any scheduled international services.....but they did operate a small hub at LAS.
Right on. Next?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
25 SEP Seattle to Pasco ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________ (Hint: I flew on a prop)
25 SEP Pasco to Seattle ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________ (Hint: The leased jet involved was on short term lease.)
I think Columbia Pacific had ceased operating by then so I'll go with Cascade both ways. HS748/Bac111 ?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I think Columbia Pacific had ceased operating by then so I'll go with Cascade both ways. HS748/Bac111 ?
Hmmm.....the "leased jet" comment got me thinking....

25 SEP - SEA to PSC

Airline: Horizon Air

Aircraft: F-27

25 SEP - PSC to SEA

Airline: Horizon Air

Aircraft: DC-9
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

What a couple of detectives you two are! Remember though, it's six airlines as I'm trying to fly on a different one each time.

Wally, you're correct with Cascade down to Pasco. This flight was supposed to be aboard a BAC-111 but a mechanical issue forced a last minute substitution of a HS-748.

The return flight was Horizon all the way, aboard a leased DC-9 wearing AllStar colors. This remains the oldest DC-9 I've flown, coming in at number 4 of the assembly line at Long Beach. Shortly thereafter Horizon received its first F28.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: All of them!
18 OCT St. Louis/Kansas City---AIR ONE-- Boeing 727-100
Old Mar 22, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA
The return flight was Horizon all the way, aboard a leased DC-9 wearing AllStar colors. This remains the oldest DC-9 I've flown, coming in at number 4 of the assembly line at Long Beach.
What a coincidence. Because I recall I was on this very aircraft just a year earlier, 1983. At that time it belonged to Finnair, but they had too many of the pocket-sized DC-9s, so it was leased to British Midland who had just started running London Heathrow to Edinburgh, and needed extra aircraft. It kept its Finnish registration OH-LYC on these UK services. I fancied the recent service (I was of course the only one in the office who knew about such things) as a change to the hourly BA Edinburgh Shuttle of the era we normally took, still operating with Tridents, with pay-on-board and no catering. BMA were giving hot meals and drinks. Later that year the aircraft was returned to Finnair, who promptly resold it to All Star in the USA.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Briti...4d25a4eabeb698

I guess it's the oldest DC-9 I've been on as well !
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cs57
18 OCT St. Louis/Kansas City---AIR ONE-- Boeing 727-100
That's right, cs57. Air 1 operated a small fleet of 727-100s and I believe perhaps a -200 or two. The ex-National 727-35 I flew into MCI was in an all First Class configuration. Unfortunately, the flight from STL into MCI was too short to enjoy any real service except a small bowl of mixed nuts with our drinks.

Originally Posted by WHBM
What a coincidence. Because I recall I was on this very aircraft just a year earlier, 1983. At that time it belonged to Finnair, but they had too many of the pocket-sized DC-9s, so it was leased to British Midland who had just started running London Heathrow to Edinburgh, and needed extra aircraft. It kept its Finnish registration OH-LYC on these UK services. I fancied the recent service (I was of course the only one in the office who knew about such things) as a change to the hourly BA Edinburgh Shuttle of the era we normally took, still operating with Tridents, with pay-on-board and no catering. BMA were giving hot meals and drinks. Later that year the aircraft was returned to Finnair, who promptly resold it to All Star in the USA.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Briti...4d25a4eabeb698

I guess it's the oldest DC-9 I've been on as well !
This airplane apprears to have seen a lot of miles for a lot of airlines. It was originally delivered to Air Canada as CF-TLB in 1966. In subsequent years it flew for Hawaiian Airlines, Southern Airways, Finnair, British Midland, All Star Airlines, Midwest Express, East African Safari Express and, last I heard for Kenyan airline Fly540 as 5Y-XXB in 2010. That's impressive! It'd be a shame to see that airplane scrapped after such a varied career but that's its likely fate I suppose...
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: BA
It'd be a shame to see that airplane scrapped after such a varied career but that's its likely fate I suppose...
I believe it's this one at the top, dumped at Nairobi, Kenya

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=-1.3190...02642&t=h&z=19
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by WHBM
I believe it's this one at the top, dumped at Nairobi, Kenya

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=-1.3190...02642&t=h&z=19
Never again to feel the wind beneath her wings

Old Mar 23, 2013, 9:22 am

Whereas a meal was offered up in Coach, we weren't offered one, even to buy. Perhaps because the domestic flights were shorter, the meal purchase option available on Hawaii flights was not offered.

On Hawaii flights, the airlines advertised Economy Class flights for less money but otherwise offering the same seating as Coach. As previously mentioned, you could buy a meal on board. While Continental had a separate cabin for Economy, aboard Western's narrow bodied Boeings it would have been sit wherever. I will do a search for an old ad promoting the three services to Hawaii and if I find it I'll post it.
If I remember correctly (flights to/from HNL in the 1960s), K/Economy was called Thrift Class on Pan Am.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

07 OCT - St. Petersburg (PIE) to Orlando (MCO)

Airline: Florida Express

Aircraft: BAC One-Eleven

Bonus question: What other airline flew the BAC One-Eleven on services within the state of Florida in the mid 1980s besides Florida Express/Braniff II?

And speaking of new questions, I've got a whole bunch waiting in the wings, so to speak......
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
07 OCT - St. Petersburg (PIE) to Orlando (MCO)

Airline: Florida Express

Aircraft: BAC One-Eleven

Bonus question: What other airline flew the BAC One-Eleven on services within the state of Florida in the mid 1980s besides Florida Express/Braniff II?

And speaking of new questions, I've got a whole bunch waiting in the wings, so to speak......
Right you are, Mr. Lemon! I paid $19.00 for that flight - in today's money closer to $60.00 I suppose.

As to the other BAC-111 operator in Florida, I'm going with Atlantic Gulf, who I believe acquired their 1-11 via a merger with Air Illinois.

I will close my remaining unanswered questions out tomorrow in anticipation of your new set of questions. ^

Here's what's left of those questions:

2. What was “The Lavender Hill Monster”?

6. What was the Council Club?

9. What did FAA regulations of the early 1960s require of U.S. airliners with a MTOW over 80,000 pounds?

15. Name three scheduled airlines that operated their jet(s) over only a single route. That is to say that the airline’s entire scheduled route network comprised only a single route. What the heck – name the aircraft involved as well if you like.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right you are, Mr. Lemon! I paid $19.00 for that flight - in today's money closer to $60.00 I suppose.

As to the other BAC-111 operator in Florida, I'm going with Atlantic Gulf, who I believe acquired their 1-11 via a merger with Air Illinois.

I will close my remaining unanswered questions out tomorrow in anticipation of your new set of questions. ^
Correct! I believe Atlantic Gulf operated a former Air Illinois BAC One-Eleven series 200 after the struggling carriers had merged.

Atlantic Gulf also reportedly operated several BAC One-Eleven series 400 aircraft which had been formerly flown by Cascade....or tried to as I think there were some issues raised by the FAA.......
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
If I remember correctly (flights to/from HNL in the 1960s), K/Economy was called Thrift Class on Pan Am.
Yes, and otherwise, the Y class on PA in the 1960s was called Rainbow Class. The K Thrift Class folks used to sit towards the middle of the Boeing 707, whereas the Rainbow Class folks sat in back of Thrift Class so that they were closer to the rear galley, where they were served complimentary meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.