Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Indeed, although they didn't last into the 1970s, they were leased secondhand from Douglas for just 12 months from spring 1968. Continental had handed them back after less than two years service and Douglas probably saw an opportunity with this upstart carrier from just down the 405. There were few smaller jets available secondhand at the time. However, just a month or two after they arrived Air California picked up the start of their mainstream 737 fleet, six very early 737s (the first was aircraft #13) which had been ordered by Pacific Airlines but were abruptly cancelled when they merged into Air West, and fell back to the leasing company. A sudden change of plan for OC but stood them in good stead for the years ahead, and a real snatch at the last moment by Boeing from Douglas, who now had the two aircraft back for a second time. They then went on to Texas International.
Excellent commentary, as usual, from WHBM!

I believe the aircraft that Air California operated were DC-9-14 models.

Also a question (but not a quiz item as I do not know the answer): how many Boeing 737-100 aircraft were operated by Air California / AirCal?

BTW, I recently mentioned that I thought I had seen an AirCal Boeing 737-200 many years ago with an Irish registration. Turns out I actually did. It was a B737-248 flying as EI-ASH. I think AirCal had leased this aircraft from Aer Lingus.......
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
BTW, I recently mentioned that I thought I had seen an AirCal Boeing 737-200 many years ago with an Irish registration. Turns out I actually did. It was a B737-248 flying as EI-ASH. I think AirCal had leased this aircraft from Aer Lingus.......
This aircraft EI-ASH had an amazing Houdini-like experience. New in 1970, it had been short-term leased to various other operators (Air Cal had it in the mid-1980s), particularly in the winter season, which was always very quiet in those earlier times for EI. After 22 years service it was retired in Dublin in 1992, taken off the register, and was significantly dismantled down to just a hulk laying behind the hangars. But three years after it was retired, Aer Lingus suddenly got an offer for it as a flying aircraft, and it was put back together again, recertified, and sent off to Chile, where surprisingly it carried on in service for another 10 years.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
2. The Chicago to Orlando route enjoyed considerably more competition with three airlines offering nonstop flights. One of those airlines offered a single daily nonstop operated with an all economy class configured jet. Name the airline and the aircraft type operated.
Originally Posted by miniliq
I'll go with Eastern -- DC-9; National -- 727; but the last one I had trouble finding -- Altair (AK) -- F28.

With this question I am looking only for the operator of the all-coach configured jet. Addressing all three airlines flying the route will work just fine as well. In this case, Eastern is indeed one of the airlines offering nonstop service on the ORD-MCO route, doing so with a DC-9-50 (at least in the 10-15-81 schedules). However, I don't believe either National or Altair ever served either Chicago airport.
Well, another senior moment -- I was actually trying to answer question #4, regarding 3 airlines offering nonstop JAX-DCA. The answer to #2 was supposed to be Republic, with a DC-9. I need to drink my morning coffee before I post.

Actually, Air California operated two DC-9-10s, beautifully painted in its 1970s sunburst livery. You find a photo of it HERE.
And I'm glad you clarified that for me -- I had a 4/15/82 OAG showing a DC-9 for that AirCal service, but a check of AirCal history at Wikipedia showed no DC-9s in the fleet, but it did show the MD-80, as jlemon suggested. Since I don't always trust Wikipedia, I went with the DC-9.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2. The Chicago to Orlando route enjoyed considerably more competition with three airlines offering nonstop flights. One of those airlines offered a single daily nonstop operated with an all economy class configured jet. Name the airline and the aircraft type operated.

The answer to #2 was supposed to be Republic, with a DC-9.

A good guess, miniliq, but no - it was a different airline... Now that I think of it, did Republic ever fly nonstop from Chicago to anywhere in Florida? I seem to remember a lot of RC service southeast of Chicago routing through Memphis.

4. Three airlines offer a single nonstop flight each between Jacksonville, Florida and Washington DC's National Airport. Each of these airlines operates a jet built by a different manufacturer on the route. Name the airlines and the equipment used.

Well, another senior moment -- I was actually trying to answer question #4, regarding 3 airlines offering nonstop JAX-DCA. (to wit) I'll go with Eastern -- DC-9; National -- 727; but the last one I had trouble finding -- Altair (AK) -- F28.

Now we're cookin'! Eastern operated a DC-9-50 on this route, while Altair checked in with a daily F28. However, by 1981 National was no more. Any thoughts?

I need to drink my morning coffee before I post.

Perhaps a plateful of delicious beignets might help as well!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Also a question (but not a quiz item as I do not know the answer): how many Boeing 737-100 aircraft were operated by Air California / AirCal?
I believe there were just two ~ both of them ex-Avianca birds (-159s) that came to Air California in the late 1970s after stints with Avianca, the West German Air Force and Aloha. I found a photo HERE.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
4. Three airlines offer a single nonstop flight each between Jacksonville, Florida and Washington DC's National Airport. Each of these airlines operates a jet built by a different manufacturer on the route. Name the airlines and the equipment used.
I'll go with Eastern -- DC-9; National -- 727; but the last one I had trouble finding -- Altair (AK) -- F28.
Now we're cookin'! Eastern operated a DC-9-50 on this route, while Altair checked in with a daily F28. However, by 1981 National was no more. Any thoughts?
You're right of course -- PanAm absorbed National in 1980, so assuming they didn't drop JAX-DCA service immediately, the third carrier should be PanAm.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
You're right of course -- PanAm absorbed National in 1980, so assuming they didn't drop JAX-DCA service immediately, the third carrier should be PanAm.
And I'll bet Pan Am was flying JAX-DCA with a B727 at the time.......
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pan Am is correct and according to the schedule, a 727-100 was the aircraft of choice on the JAX-DCA route.

That leaves just three unanswered questions from this batch:

11. This airline offered a single daily nonstop flight between White Plains, New York and Bermuda. Name the airline and the aircraft it operated on this route.

12. This U.S. airline offered a single daily nonstop flight between El Paso Texas and Mazatlan, Mexico. The same airline also served Mazatlan thrice weekly from Albuquerque.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12. This U.S. airline offered a single daily nonstop flight between El Paso Texas and Mazatlan, Mexico. The same airline also served Mazatlan thrice weekly from Albuquerque.
Let's go with the original Frontier Airlines (FL) with Boeing 737-200 service.....
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Let's go with the original Frontier Airlines (FL) with Boeing 737-200 service.....

Let's do. Good call, Mr. Lemon! Frontier also served ELP and ABQ with nonstop flights from Zihuatanejo.
Here's a quick bonus question: Sticking with the 10/15/81 OAG, which airline offered the only nonstop service between El Paso and Puerto Vallarta?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:06 pm

Pan Am is correct and according to the schedule, a 727-100 was the aircraft of choice on the JAX-DCA route.

That leaves just three unanswered questions from this batch:
I hope to get one right if I keep trying -- how about Republic with a DC9-50.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I hope to get one right if I keep trying -- how about Republic with a DC9-50.

Well, let me see if I can help you out a bit here, miniliq... It definitely wasn't Republic, which if I remember correctly did offer a Business Class cabin on its jets. At least they did back in February of 1982 when I took a weekend and did a ten flight, 6250 mile jaunt around the country on a collection of DC-9s and 727s. Back in those days non-revs could reasonably expect to be sat up front and I was on all but one flight, a DC-9-50 between Minneapolis and Denver. But I digress ~

Getting back to the question, the airline I'm looking for operated a Boeing in the all Y class configuration...

Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It looks like these remaining questions have run their course, so I'll go ahead and answer them now...

That would be United with an all-Economy Class configured 727-200.

11. This airline offered a single daily nonstop flight between White Plains, New York and Bermuda. Name the airline and the aircraft it operated on this route.

Air Florida operated this daily service with a 737-200.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, since we are discussing classic aeroplanes, I think it's time for several quick bonus questions before we head back to the latest quiz items courtesy of the intrepid and irrepressible Seat 2A!

1) One version of the Britten-Norman Islander, being the BN-2T, featured turboprop engines. Identify these engine types.

2) The Britten-Norman Trislander featured three (3) reciprocating engines. Were turboprop engines ever offered on this aircraft as well?

3) The Trislander could also be equipped with an auxiliary propulsion system. Identify exactly what this system was.
I'll close out these questions as well....

1) I believe these turboprop engines were Allison 250-B17C models....

2) I do not think the Trislander was ever converted to turboprop power (paging WHBM.....)

3) It appears the Trislander could be equipped with "rocket-assisted takeoff equipment".....in other words, a JATO system.

BTW, STOL Air Commuter in northern California operated scheduled Islander and Trislander service from several communities into SFO during the 1970s. This small carrier went on to become WestAir operating as United Express and eventually flew BAe 146s in addition to turboprop aircraft.....
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I'll close out these questions as well....

1) I believe these turboprop engines were Allison 250-B17C models....
Lycoming LTP-101 in fact
Before we leave the Islander:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.