Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
I'll try a few that haven't been addressed, mostly guesses:
2) DC-9-10 svc out of PHL -- I'd guess Allegheny
3) 720's between GEG and BFI -- I'm going to guess Western; I was going to say West Coast, but they had DC-9s on that route.
5) Launch customer for Electras: I'll guess Eastern -- had several delivered in Oct-Dec 1958
6) Ozark birds -- swallows (currently there is a Silver Swallows club for ex-Ozark employees)
12) Transcon 727-100 -- I'm torn between TWA and United -- will go with the latter.

Looking forward to the details in the correct answers!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
[QUOTE=miniliq;18386956]I'll try a few that haven't been addressed, mostly guesses:
The airline was Best Airlines which flew some of the more colorful DC-9s of its era.

5) Launch customer for Electras: I'll guess Eastern -- had several delivered in Oct-Dec 1958
The launch customer for the Electra was American.

12) Transcon 727-100 -- I'm torn between TWA and United -- will go with the latter.
The other operator of transcon 727-100 service was MGM Grand Air/Regal Air with a LAX-NYC route.[/QUOTE]

That leaves the following questions unanswered. I'll check back leter today to answer them if someone hasn't by then...

7.) What was the first U.S. airline to charge a fee for each checked bag? ($3.00 per bag)

9.) What U.S. airline once used a Boeing 707 solely for intrastate services? In What state?

10.) Everyone knows that Howard Hughes once owned Hughes Airwest and TWA. What other major U.S. airline did he own?

By the way, for those of you who may have wondered what I've been up to the past month, here are a couple of trip reports:

Travel to South Africa

Travel From South Africa
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
As to the unanswered questions...

7.) What was the first U.S. airline to charge a fee for each checked bag? ($3.00 per bag)
People Express

9.) What U.S. airline once used a Boeing 707 solely for intrastate services? In What state?
Air Florida

10.) Everyone knows that Howard Hughes once owned Hughes Airwest and TWA. What other major U.S. airline did he own?
Northeast

By the way, for those of you who may have wondered what I've been up to the past month, here are a couple of trip reports:

Travel to South Africa

Travel From South Africa
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Good Morning Everyone!

It's another beautiful Saturday here in south Louisiana and today's chores are at hand......rev up the tractor and get the chainsaw ready for some good, old fashioned "bush hogging" in the aftermath of a rather large oak tree smashing into a fence during a recent thunderstorm....can't let the horses escape, you know!

But first.....let us return to the quiz:

1) In the fall of 1969, what airline operated B737 jet service into Sandspit, BC (YZP)?

2) In the fall of 1994, what airline operated Fokker F-28 "Fellowship" jet service into Sandspit, BC (YZP)?

3) What airline operated MD-80 service between Eugene, OR (EUG) and Portland (PDX)?

4) What airline operated Lockheed L-188 "Electra" service between Long Beach (LGB) and San Diego (SAN)?

5) What major airline operated DC-6B service into Huron, SD (HON)?

6) Back in 1973, what were the two aircraft types used by Quebecair on their Montreal (YUL) - Quebec City (YQB) route?

7) What type of jet equipment did LANICA operate in the late 70's? Also, name the only U.S. city served by this Central American carrier at this time.

8) What airline operated the BAC One-Eleven nonstop between Toronto (YYZ) and Rochester, NY (ROC)?

9) Back in 1969, what international destinations did Pan Am serve from New Orleans with the B727? (Hint: PA served six intl. destinations from MSY with the 727 at this time).

10) Also back in 1969, what North American airline operated "Chieftain Airbus" shuttle service? Also name the two cities linked by this service and the three different aircraft types used on the route at this time.

BTW, if you haven't had the chance to check out the recent trip reports from Seat 2A concerning his flights on Cathay Pacific to South Africa and back in F, I highly recommend you do so. I'm only halfway through his saga and it's terrific!

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 14, 2012 at 8:20 am
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by jlemon
1) In the fall of 1969, what airline operated B737 jet service into Sandspit, BC (YZP)?
Pacific Western

2) In the fall of 1994, what airline operated Fokker F-28 "Fellowship" jet service into Sandspit, BC (YZP)?
Time Air dba Canadian Regional

3) What airline operated MD-80 service between Eugene, OR (EUG) and Portland (PDX)?
PSA

4) What airline operated Lockheed L-188 "Electra" service between Long Beach (LGB) and San Diego (SAN)?
Air California

6) Back in 1973, what were the two aircraft types used by Quebecair on their Montreal (YUL) - Quebec City (YQB) route?
BAC111 and F.27

7) What type of jet equipment did LANICA operate in the late 70's? Also, name the only U.S. city served by this Central American carrier at this time.
Convair 880 to MIA

8) What airline operated the BAC One-Eleven nonstop between Toronto (YYZ) and Rochester, NY (ROC)?
Allegheny

10) Also back in 1969, what North American airline operated "Chieftain Airbus" shuttle service? Also name the two cities linked by this service and the three different aircraft types used on the route at this time.
Pacific Western again, Calgary/Edmonton. 737,CV640 and Electra. Could have been a DC-4 or DC-6 but I think they had gone by1969
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Excellent responses from Wally Bird!

Here's how he did.....

1) Correct!

2) Correct!

3) Guess again! (Hint: I should have said, "What major airline.....?")

4) Guess again! (Hint: again, I should have said, "What major airline.....?")

6) Correct!

7) MIA is correct....but please guess again concerning the aircraft type!

8) Guess again!

10) Correct, but with one minor clarification.....the three aircraft types used by PWA at this time for their "Chieftain Airbus" service between Calgary and Edmonton were the B737-200, the Convair 640 turboprop and the Douglas DC-6.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 14, 2012 at 8:36 am Reason: More hints
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here's a bonus question.....

Back when Northwest acquired Republic, what were the four (4) different jet aircraft types being operated by RC at the time? (Hint: the DC-9 series will count as one type in this question).....
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: BA

Pacific Western. By then they had two 737s which were quite wide-ranging. I first visited Vancouver (and North America) in summer 1969 and managed to see them at various places, including landing at Penticton BC one evening.

Canadian Airlines

Western

5) What major airline operated DC-6B service into Huron, SD (HON)?
Western again

Fairchild F.27, BAC One-Eleven

7) What type of jet equipment did LANICA operate in the late 70's? Also, name the only U.S. city served by this Central American carrier at this time. Guessing (not looking up) they still had their One-Elevens. Into New Orleans?

8) What airline operated the BAC One-Eleven nonstop between Toronto (YYZ) and Rochester, NY (ROC)? Mohawk

9) Back in 1969, what international destinations did Pan Am serve from New Orleans with the B727? (Hint: PA served six intl. destinations from MSY with the 727 at this time).All the points from Guatemala down to Panama, one in each country
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;18388077][QUOTE=miniliq;18386956]I'll try a few that haven't been addressed, mostly guesses:
The airline was Best Airlines which flew some of the more colorful DC-9s of its era.

And I seem to recall that Best Airlines also served Alexandria, LA (ESF, which was the airport used before AEX) for a short period of time with DC-9 flights after DL pulled their mainline 72S and D9S service out of the market......
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:01 am

7) MIA is correct....but please guess again concerning the aircraft type!
After cheating I find the CV880s continued until November 1976, which I suppose isn't "late" 1970s. 727 after that.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
After cheating I find the CV880s continued until November 1976, which I suppose isn't "late" 1970s. 727 after that.
Yep, 1976 probably qualifies as "mid 70's"......and the B727 is the correct answer!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:12 am

And here's a bonus question.....

Back when Northwest acquired Republic, what were the four (4) different jet aircraft types being operated by RC at the time? (Hint: the DC-9 series will count as one type in this question).....
OK, I give up. DC-9, 727 and 757 I get but the fourth?

Even cheating I can't find it. Put me out of my misery, please.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As usual, great answers from WHBM.......

Here's how he did.......

1) Correct! PWA also operated the 72S at one point but not into Sandspit, I think.....

2) CP is correct, although the F-28 service was actually flown by Time Air via a code sharing arrangement.....

4) Correct! Actual routing of the WA operated "Electra" service was SAN-LGB-SFO. Western was also operating BUR-SFO service with the DC-6 at this time.....

5) Correct! Actual routing was SLC-CPR-RAP-PIR-HON-FSD-MSP. And when WA replaced their DC-6 aircraft with "Electra" turboprops, service to Huron was dropped.

6) Correct!

7) See above......

8) Correct!

9) Pan Am served the following six (6) international cities from MSY with B727 service:

Merida
San Pedro Sula
Managua
San Salvador
Guatemala City
Panama City

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 14, 2012 at 9:27 am
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
OK, I give up. DC-9, 727 and 757 I get but the fourth?

Even cheating I can't find it. Put me out of my misery, please.
The MD-80! Which is "almost" a DC-9 but not quite!

You will also recall that NW experienced a rather nasty accident with an ex-RC MD-80 after which they eliminated the type from the fleet.....although NW kept the DC-9s, some of which (several DC-9-50s) are still flying with DL to this very day.......
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Did'nt Republic buy Southern Airways, did Southen operate anything besides the DC9-10

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.