Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As for the remaining questions:

7. Which airport of a major U.S. city was originally named for a man who had died in an airplane crash on the land upon which that airport is built?

The next 2 questions are based upon schedules in 1981.

12. This airline offered the only nonstop between Houston and Cincinnati

13. These two airlines provided the only nonstop flights between Milwaukee and Kansas City
Somehow I missed noticing question 7 -- of course it's here in New Orleans -- MSY -- Moisant Stock Yards, named after John Moisant, who crashed in 1910 in the area that became MSY. Interestingly he designed, built and flew the first metal (aluminum) airplane in 1909.

12: My 4/82 OAG showed a DL nonstop, and my 6/79 shows AA, so I correct my earlier answer to try AA.

13: I'll try Braniff and United.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Too many "airlines" worldwide to list; browse your way through this:
http://rzjets.net/aircraft/?typeid=119

I think the 3 mentioned were the only US operators.

Lovely airplane the G1.
And two more Gulfstream I operators in the U.S., I believe: Bonanza Air Lines (!) and Southeast Air. I'm not sure whether Bonanza operated their G-I in sched pax service or whether it was their corporate aircraft.....

Also, a Canadian operator: Ptarmigan Airways (which was subsequently acquired by First Air, I think)......
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
After bugging me for days, it finally clicked.

MD-83 launch customer - Alaska
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2. What airline was the launch customer for the MD-83?

Good job, Wally. I knew you'd come up with it sooner than later! ^

7. Which airport of a major U.S. city was originally named for a man who had died in an airplane crash on the land upon which that airport is built?

Somehow I missed noticing question 7 -- of course it's here in New Orleans -- MSY -- Moisant Stock Yards, named after John Moisant, who crashed in 1910 in the area that became MSY. Interestingly he designed, built and flew the first metal (aluminum) airplane in 1909.

Right on, miniliq! What took you so long?

12. This airline offered the only nonstop between Houston and Cincinnati?

My 4/82 OAG showed a DL nonstop, and my 6/79 shows AA, so I correct my earlier answer to try AA.

Alas, your OAG is one year too late for this question which is based upon the 1981 schedules. So - we know it wasn't AA or DL... What other airline could it possibly be...?

13. These two airlines provided the only nonstop flights between Milwaukee and Kansas City (in 1981)

I'll try Braniff and United.

United is correct, but not Braniff. The answer is a bit surprising but here's a hint - the equipment used by this other airline was not manufactured by Boeing.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
Found what I think were a couple of other European operators of the Gulfstream I, being Air Provence and Cimber Air........
I'm afraid that linked listing of Gulfstream operators is not particularly complete.

It's interesting to note that Grumman was apparently never especially interested in producing regional airliners based on the Gulfstream I.
Grumman actually put quite a lot of work and expense into certifying the G1 both for its mainstream exec role (typically 10 seats) and an airline density 24-seat configuration. I can't see one airline that bought a new one, but as they got replaced by executive jets they became an interesting and already certified option to use as an airliner.

The first ones in the UK were a handful of exec aircraft operated by large corporates like Shell and Ford (the latter had, and indeed still has, a decidedly airline-like operation across Europe from a base at Southend) so they were a known type. Field Aviation at East Midlands developed a modification to used exec aircraft to bring them up to UK airline regulations, and several were imported and modified.

Britain has a number of mid-length secondary domestic air routes, around 300-400 miles, where the main demand is morning and evening business travel by those making day-return trips and having high fares paid by their company. A key aspect is being able to do the morning and evening trips in both directions on the route with just one aircraft, without one being excessively early or the other being undesirably late and not giving a day's work at both ends, so it has to be fast and do quick turnrounds. A secondhand, high-speed, turboprop, not too large, was ideal for these minor runs, and that is how the Gulfstream 1 was operated by most of its users over here. They would tend to stand on a ramp somewhere during mid-day.

What took me the longest time was finding a picture of one of the British Airways ones on the web. Finally got there ! BA used them, contracted from multiple actual operators, on a range of the smaller commuter routes they no longer do, Birmingham to Aberdeen being a prominent one, or Newcastle to Frankfurt, and also some of the minor "Berlin Corridor" routes in their final years, Berlin Tegel to Bremen and Munster.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1036927/

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 17, 2013 at 3:07 am
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
I'm afraid that linked listing of Gulfstream operators is not particularly complete.
It depends on input from users, sort of a Wiki and like that, there is no editing. Does give a general idea but if you know of a better one, please post it.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

Grumman actually put quite a lot of work and expense into certifying the G1 both for its mainstream exec role (typically 10 seats) and an airline density 24-seat configuration. I can't see one airline that bought a new one, but as they got replaced by executive jets they became an interesting and already certified option to use as an airliner.
Well, I wondered about that....and this engenders another question: the Gulfstream I had large oval windows in the passenger cabin. In a 24-seat airline density seat layout, did this mean that some seats did not have a view outside of the aircraft? It appears that Grumman designed the G-I primarily for executive transport......

And I still wish that I had had the opportunity to take a ride on the airliner version!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A U.S. operator of the standard fuselage length Grumman Gulfstream I (G-159) was Royale Airlines, a commuter/regional air carrier based in Shreveport (SHV). Royale operated some of their G-Is as Continental Connection flights feeding CO's hub in Houston (IAH) as well as also operating a small independent hub in New Orleans (MSY).

And speaking of Royale Airlines, here's a quiz item: Although this carrier primarily operated turboprops during its existence, it also flew jet equipment at one point. Identify this aircraft type (hint: it was not a regional jet).
This quiz item remains unanswered as well.....

And I'm really looking forward to the answers concerning questions .12 and .13 from Seat 2A.

I do know that Braniff flew MCI-MKE in 1982 with 727s. I also do not believe that Midwest Express was around yet in 1981 with DC-9-10 service on the same route......
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:48 am

And I'm really looking forward to the answers concerning questions .12 and .13 from Seat 2A.
Going by the hint, I'd guess Air Wisconsin BAe146 MKE-MCI before they joined United Express.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:05 pm

Going by the hint, I'd guess Air Wisconsin BAe146 MKE-MCI before they joined United Express.
The question is set in 1981 and the first Air Wisconsin 146 was delivered in June 1983, so not that. In my August 1980 ABC* it's one Braniff and three United, so must have changed after that.

* : Now some of you know these are nowadays stored up in the far reaches of our attic, slightly beyond the Gulfstream 1 production list (and for a month or two more, the infamous lawnmower as well). Fortunately it's the weekend and some more household items needed to go up and down.

Mrs W (distantly) : "Been a long time up there, dear, not looking at the aeroplane books are you ?"

Self : "Now would I do something like that ?"

Mrs W (closer) : "When there's a long silence like that - yes .....".
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:24 pm

The question is set in 1981 and the first Air Wisconsin 146 was delivered in June 1983, so not that.
Dash-7 then ?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
12. This airline offered the only nonstop flights between Houston and Cincinnati

Hard to believe if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes - and the airline is:

Piedmont, which served the route with two 737-200 "Pacemaker" nonstops per day.

13. These two airlines provided the only nonstop flights between Milwaukee and Kansas City (as of 10/15/1981)

And those two airlines would be United and Texas International

Being as the October 15th, 1981 edition of the OAG has been such a treasure trove of questions for schedule and route buffs, here are fifteen more questions from that terrific tome:

1. This airline operated the only nonstop flights between Orlando and Indianapolis with a single nonstop per day. No other airline offered any more than connecting service on this route. ANSWERED

2. The Chicago to Orlando route enjoyed considerably more competition with three airlines offering nonstop flights. One of those airlines offered a single daily nonstop operated with an all economy class configured jet. Name the airline and the aircraft type operated.

3. After a nice weekend in Cleveland, Ohio, you've been informed that you need to be in Rochester, New York on Monday morning. You could just hop on I-80/90 and drive there in about 4.5 hours but this airline offers a single early morning nonstop operated with a Convair 580. Never one to pass up a flight aboard an Allison 501 powered aircraft , you book yourself a seat on that morning flight, returning on the CVR flight later that evening. Which airline operates the Convair 580 in this market? ANSWERED

4. Three airlines offer a single nonstop flight each between Jacksonville, Florida and Washington DC's National Airport. Each of the airlines providing nonstop service on this route operates a jet built by a different manufacturer. Name the airlines and the equipment utilized.

5. This airline offers the only service of any type between Birmingham, Alabama and Houston, Texas with a single daily nonstop flight. Which airline is this?

6. This airline operated the only nonstop flights between Los Angeles and Baltimore. Both were operated with the same aircraft type but interestingly, one flight was operated in an all-coach configuration while the other offered both First Class and Coach. Name the airline and the equipment used.

7. This airline operated four nonstop Convair 580s a day between Columbus and Cleveland. And the airline is…?

8. Between New York and Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, two airlines offered nonstop service. One of them, the Dominican national airline, served the route with a twice weekly 727 flight. The other airline was a U.S. carrier that served the route with a twice weekly flight operated in an all economy configuration. Name thius U.S. airline and the equipment used on this route.

9. Which U.S. airline operated the only nonstop flights between Grand Turk, BWI and Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic?

10. Name the only U.S. airline offering nonstop service between Los Angeles and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

11. This airline offered a single daily nonstop flight between White Plains, New York and Bermuda. Name the airline and the aircraft it operated on this route.

12. This U.S. airline offered a single daily nonstop flight between El Paso Texas and Mazatlan, Mexico. The same airline also served Mazatlan thrice weekly from Albuquerque.

13. Which airline operated its jets along this route: PDX-RNO-SNA-LAS?

14. The complete routing for this airline’s Flight #009 was SLC-BOI-SEA. The flight was operated with a 737-200. What airline was this? ANSWERED

15. This foreign carrier enjoyed fifth freedom rights between Philadelphia and Toronto, operating a single nonstop that included dinner in both First Class and Coach. Which airline was this? ANSWERED

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 19, 2013 at 12:29 pm
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A U.S. operator of the standard fuselage length Grumman Gulfstream I (G-159) was Royale Airlines, a commuter/regional air carrier based in Shreveport (SHV). Royale operated some of their G-Is as Continental Connection flights feeding CO's hub in Houston (IAH) as well as also operating a small independent hub in New Orleans (MSY). Alas, I never had the chance to fly in the standard G-I, either.....although I have been on board the G-Is younger sibling, being the turbofan powered Gulfstream IV.

And speaking of Royale Airlines, here's a quiz item: Although this carrier primarily operated turboprops during its existence, it also flew jet equipment at one point. Identify this aircraft type (hint: it was not a regional jet).
In view of the latest excellent set of questions posed by Seat 2A, I'll close this item out as well. Royale operated a pair of DC-9-14s which were formerly operated by Continental (I believe they were actually ex-Texas International aircraft). These DC-9s were still in CO colors but with Royale titles as well as Royale's fleur-de-lis marking on the tail (there's a photo of one of these aircraft on airliners.net).

Royale primarily operated these aircraft on a IAH-BRO routing several times a day as CO codeshare flights. And I think they may have showed up as well on the IAH-SHV route, again as CO codeshare flights. Royale also operated the Grumman Gulfstream I on the IAH-SHV route on behalf of CO.......
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:37 pm

It depends on input from users, sort of a Wiki and like that, there is no editing. Does give a general idea but if you know of a better one, please post it.
Well, I can but mention .....

http://www.tahs.com/books/turbo.htm

http://www.tahs.com/books/piston.htm

For the Gulfstream 1 on-line, you can also see

http://www.planelist.net/rare-props.zip

Lines 17346-19173 for this month. It's a Zip file spreadsheet.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 17, 2013 at 4:54 pm
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:21 pm

Well, I can but mention .....

http://www.tahs.com/books/turbo.htm

http://www.tahs.com/books/piston.htm

For the Gulfstream 1 on-line, you can also see

http://www.planelist.net/rare-props.zip

Lines 17346-19173 for this month. It's a Zip file spreadsheet.
I have ancient editions of the TAHS books; saved the .xls and the next rainy day I'll update rzjets.net ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.