Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:29 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by WHBM
I can assure you that all is not quiet on the WHBM front - and a few of you know why, especially when those questions were posted .... !!!

I think our colleague cs57 was first in with the three TWA stops of 1939 between New York and LA; it's surprising nowadays to think that DC3s were the regular aircraft on New York to Chicago nonstops, for all operators. And S2A was close with suggesting the Boeing Stratocruiser, as those came along for TWA the following year and took over several of these runs.
Please pardon my correction: TWA flew the Boeing 307 Stratoliner in 1940, and not the Stratocruiser, which was the model 377 that Boeing had developed later for UA, PA and others but not TW.

Originally Posted by jlemon
Seat 2A is correct with regard to both of his answers concerning quiz items 1) and 9)!

9) United operated the following westbound schedule....

UA 199: IAD-DEN-LAX-HNL-KOA
Equip: DC-10
Op: Daily

The return flight, UA 192, operated daily KOA-HNL-LAX. And according to the OAG, UA did offer seats for sale between HNL and KOA.

BTW, Aloha (AQ) was operating B737-200, B737-300 and B737-400 equipment between HNL and KOA at this time while Hawaiian (HA) was operating the DC-9-30 on all of its flights on this route........

Very interesting UA schedule using DC-10s!
Hmm... from memory, HA actually flew MD-80s (DC-9 Super 80) from around 1982 but phased out the MD-80s in the mid-1990s because they were too big. HA went back to operating DC-9-50s, which is the last DC-9 series aircraft they had before they took delivery of the MD-80s. I stand to be corrected on this but by 1994, HA had already retired the DC-9 30 series from several years back.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Please pardon my correction: TWA flew the Boeing 307 Stratoliner in 1940, and not the Stratocruiser, which was the model 377 that Boeing had developed later for UA, PA and others but not TW.
Silly me JL, where are those ear defenders !
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:43 am

An excellent guess, Wally!

the First Air northbound sched was a bit different.....

7F 862: Ottawa (YOW)-Iqaluit (YFB)-Nanisivik (YSR)-Resolute (YRB)
Equip: 72M
Op: Tuesdays only

The airline operating from Montreal to Resolute was actually CP Air with Boeing 737-200 Combi service. ..... Montreal (YUL)-Iqaluit (YFB)-Nanisivik (YSR)-Resolute (YRB)
Equip: 73M
Op: Tuesdays & Thursdays only

Prior to CP Air, Nordair (ND) had flown the route with a 73M.....
I wasn't sure when the transition was made on this far north route was made from Nordair, to CP in its various incarnations, and now on to First (the current operator); notable that they both competed for a while. First have always made Ottawa their main start point for their northern routes. First Air is the scheduled service operating name for longtime northern operator Bradley Air Services. If you ever saw the BBC television series "Pole to Pole" by Michael Palin (of Monty Python fame), which I believe was also shown in the USA, he started from the North Pole having got there by a Bradley Twin Otter (two operating together, for security), which routed from Resolute to land on the ice at the North Pole, thence to Svalbard on Spitsbergen, north of Norway, over 1,600 miles total, which is quite a haul for a Twin Otter.

Having flown a few times over the years from London to Vancouver BC by what is sometimes called the "polar route" (although it passes well short of the pole), it does typically transit overhead one or more of these far north points, and I have looked down on both Iqaluit (then known as Frobisher, hence the IATA code) and Resolute over time. The first time I ever did the trip with good old Wardair the captain announced them all along the way, nowadays you have to rely on the BA moving map. Just a couple of years ago a December 5.00 pm departure from London meant the entire trip was in the dark, but clear skies and a northern track gave great views of Akureyri in northern Iceland, a handful of dim lights somewhere on the Greenland west coast, Resolute itself, and Yellowknife NWT.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

Very interesting UA schedule using DC-10s!
Hmm... from memory, HA actually flew MD-80s (DC-9 Super 80) from around 1982 but phased out the MD-80s in the mid-1990s because they were too big. HA went back to operating DC-9-50s, which is the last DC-9 series aircraft they had before they took delivery of the MD-80s. I stand to be corrected on this but by 1994, HA had already retired the DC-9 30 series from several years back.
Hey Tony! I remember seeing an MD-80 in Hawaiian colors but with PSA titles at Burbank (BUR) back in the day.

According to the schedules in the Sept. 1994 OAG, all of the HA flights between HNL and KOA were operated with "D9S" equipment. Perhaps HA used the "D9S" aircraft code for both the series 30 and series 50?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
hey tony! I remember seeing an md-80 in hawaiian colors but with psa titles at burbank (bur) back in the day.

According to the schedules in the sept. 1994 oag, all of the ha flights between hnl and koa were operated with "d9s" equipment. Perhaps ha used the "d9s" aircraft code for both the series 30 and series 50?
I flew on a Hawaiian Air DC-9-30 back in 1976 between Maui and Kamuela on the big island. The -30s seemed a rare bird even then. I remember looking up the HA fleet in a JP Fleets book back in the early 90s just to see if any more of the -30s (or even -15s) were still flying for HA but as I recall the last service with the -30s was in the mid-eighties. Who knows though - maybe they followed Northwest's lead and picked up a couple used birds for cheap later on...

By the way, my flight log notes indicate that I paid $31.00 each way to fly those United DC-10s between HNL and KOA. I paid $29.00 to fly a Hawaiian Air L-1011 from PDX to SEA back in 1988. Even factoring in inflation, those are still pretty good fares. In 1979 I paid $13.00 for a standby seat aboard a Pan Am 747SP SFO-LAX - my first ride on that type!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I flew on a Hawaiian Air DC-9-30 back in 1976 between Maui and Kamuela on the big island. The -30s seemed a rare bird even then. I remember looking up the HA fleet in a JP Fleets book back in the early 90s just to see if any more of the -30s (or even -15s) were still flying for HA but as I recall the last service with the -30s was in the mid-eighties. Who knows though - maybe they followed Northwest's lead and picked up a couple used birds for cheap later on...

By the way, my flight log notes indicate that I paid $31.00 each way to fly those United DC-10s between HNL and KOA. I paid $29.00 to fly a Hawaiian Air L-1011 from PDX to SEA back in 1988. Even factoring in inflation, those are still pretty good fares. In 1979 I paid $13.00 for a standby seat aboard a Pan Am 747SP SFO-LAX - my first ride on that type!
Well, I have been trying to remember all of my many flights into and out of Maui (OGG) on Hawaiian Air.....and I seem to recall that even when HA was operating the DC-9-50 on all of their interisland jet services, the aircraft code in the OAG was still "D9S".......
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well, I have been trying to remember all of my many flights into and out of Maui (OGG) on Hawaiian Air.....and I seem to recall that even when HA was operating the DC-9-50 on all of their interisland jet services, the aircraft code in the OAG was still "D9S".......
Yeah, the OAG is hardly the end all reference on services or aircraft. For some years, back when Aloha Airlines used to use the airline code TS, all of their inter-island flight schedules showed their 737s offering only "F" class service.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
That's correct. HA took delivery of the DC-9-50s in 1975. Perhaps a few 30 series were operating but by 1982, most D9S flights were actually the 50 series. It was in the same year that HA took delivery of the MD-80s and operated them until somewhere around the early to mid-90s. HA felt that operating an all Y class MD-80 with 172 seats every hour from HNL-LIH for example, an 18 minute flight was way overkill, especially when each MD-80 was staffed with 4 flight attendants on those flights. HA brought back the DC-9-50s in the 1990s, where these planes stayed with HA until 2001, when HA received their 717-200s.

Oh, I'm not doubting you or OAG for a minute. But yes, HA was already back to flying the DC-9-50s again in 1994.

This is a bit of trivia for a question so I'll just mention this as part of HA flying history. In the second time around in the 1990s, HA ironically replaced their relatively new MD-80s with second hand DC-9-50s. The second hand planes did not have a North American registration number. Where did these planes come from? I seem to remember they were former IB birds.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:14 am

The second hand planes did not have a North American registration number. Where did these planes come from? I seem to remember they were former IB birds.
Iberia never had the DC9-51; the only European purchasers were Swissair, Austrian and Finnair. The first two introduced them as "The DC9 King Size". Hawaiian took secondhand aircraft from the first two, sometimes after they had gone through other operators like Muse Air first. The DC9-51 gained a reputation, especially in Switzerland, for being excessively noisy, and both Swissair and Austrian got rid of them fairly soon after the MD-80 came on line. The Finnair ones however lasted a quarter of a century, I saw them in Helsinki as late as 2003.

However the three Hawaiian ones with overseas registrations were ex-BWIA, which had been registered in the Caribbean, but when handed back to lease company Guinness Peat, based in Shannon, Ireland, they got Irish registrations and operated with Hawaiian from 1990 to 1997 as such before finally being re-registered in the normal US series. Aircraft operating with overseas registrations in US fleets are very unusual (unlike some other countries around the world), but Irish-registered GPA lease aircraft seemed to find a way to do it; there were others at the time.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Iberia never had the DC9-51; the only European purchasers were Swissair, Austrian and Finnair. The first two introduced them as "The DC9 King Size". Hawaiian took secondhand aircraft from the first two, sometimes after they had gone through other operators like Muse Air first. The DC9-51 gained a reputation, especially in Switzerland, for being excessively noisy, and both Swissair and Austrian got rid of them fairly soon after the MD-80 came on line. The Finnair ones however lasted a quarter of a century, I saw them in Helsinki as late as 2003.

However the three Hawaiian ones with overseas registrations were ex-BWIA, which had been registered in the Caribbean, but when handed back to lease company Guinness Peat, based in Shannon, Ireland, they got Irish registrations and operated with Hawaiian from 1990 to 1997 as such before finally being re-registered in the normal US series. Aircraft operating with overseas registrations in US fleets are very unusual (unlike some other countries around the world), but Irish-registered GPA lease aircraft seemed to find a way to do it; there were others at the time.
I seem to recall an Air Cal 737 with an Irish registration, at least to the best of my recollection....
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, the OAG is hardly the end all reference on services or aircraft. For some years, back when Aloha Airlines used to use the airline code TS, all of their inter-island flight schedules showed their 737s offering only "F" class service.
Another interesting aircraft code in the OAG was the use of 73M by US Airways.....and the aircraft was not a B737 Combi....but it was a B737-200.

I believe the "M" in the 73M a/c code used by US Airways indicated a US MetroJet flight.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 30, 2013 at 1:42 pm
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The following items all have a time line of the fall of 1994.....

1) This airline flew nonstop several times a week between Denver (DEN) and Los Cabos (SJD) in Mexico. Identify the air carrier and the equipment operated on the route. ANSWERED

2) At the same time, two airlines were operating daily nonstop flights between Phoenix (PHX) and Los Cabos (SJD). Name both carriers and the respective aircraft types they operated on the route. ANSWERED

3) Two airlines were competing on the Columbus (CMH)-Washington, DC (DCA) route at this time. Both offered nonstop flights. Identify both as well as the jet aircraft types they operated on the route. ANSWERED

4) Four airlines were offering flights from Baltimore (BWI) to New Orleans (MSY). Three of the carriers flew direct, no change of plane service while the fourth airline operated the only nonstop flights. Name all four carriers and the equipment they operated on the route.

5) This airline was operating nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Aguadilla, Puerto Rico (BQN). Identify the carrier and the aircraft flown.

6) Three airlines were flying nonstop between Miami (MIA) and Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ). One carrier was Air Jamaica (JM), of course, which operated two different aircraft types on the route. Identify both aircraft types flown by JM MIA-MBJ and also name the other two airlines as well as the equipment they flew on the route. ANSWERED

7) Two airlines were competing between Miami (MIA) and Merida, Mexico (MID) at this time. One carrier offered daily nonstop as well as daily onestop, direct service while the other airline operated a daily onestop direct flight. Identify both carriers and the respective equipment they flew on the route. ANSWERED

8) This airline was offering the only service from New York City (LGA) to Huntsville (HSV) at this time with a onestop, direct flight. Identify the air carrier, the aircraft type and for bonus points the intermediate stop.

9) This airline was operating the only service from Los Angeles (LAX) to Kona, Hawaii (KOA) at this time with a onestop, direct flight. Name the carrier, the equipment flown on the route and for more bonus points the intermediate stop. ANSWERED

10) This airline was flying the only service between Resolute (YRB) in far northern Canada (Resolute is located about 400 miles from the North Pole) and Montreal (YUL). The flight operated twice a week, made two (2) intermediate stops and covered a distance of 2123 miles between YRB and YUL. Identify the airline, the equipment flown and for even more bonus points the two intermediate stops. ANSWERED
Well, it's a beautiful Friday afternoon here at the Acadiana Regional Airport (ARA) in south Louisiana (which just happens to be the location of my office).....and as you can no doubt see above, I still have a number of quiz items up for grabs in case anyone is interested......

Meantime, we are now prepared for our first :-: Mardi Gras parade :-: of the season tomorrow night in LFT....and, oh by the way, it also appears there will be some kind of football match held in a domed stadium located not too far east of MSY on Sunday.....

Getting back to ARA, here's a couple of bonus questions:

Just a short time ago, a FedEx DC-10-10 (actually a MD-10-10F) landed at ARA en route from MEM for some paint work at the AvEx hangar facility complex located here on the airfield. The registration of this aircraft is N564FE. Identify a former operator of this DC-10 and also explain the difference between a DC-10 and a MD-10. ANSWERED

Also on the AvEx ramp at ARA at present is a B777-300. This aircraft has a uniform gray paint job with no distinguishing markings of any kind although the tail is painted white. The registration of this aircraft is N720AN. Who does this triple-7 belong to at present and who do you think will be operating the aircraft in the future? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 7, 2013 at 6:41 pm
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC

Just a short time ago, a FedEx DC-10-10 (actually a MD-10-10F) landed at ARA en route from MEM for some paint work at the AvEx hangar facility complex located here on the airfield. The registration of this aircraft is N564FE. Identify a former operator of this DC-10 and also explain the difference between a DC-10 and a MD-10.

Also on the AvEx ramp at ARA at present is a B777-300. This aircraft has a uniform gray paint job with no distinguishing markings of any kind although the tail is painted white. The registration of this aircraft is N720AN. Who does this triple-7 belong to at present and who do you think will be operating the aircraft in the future?
What are American and American, Alex.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
What are American and American, Alex.
Hey Wally! Well, I ran registration N720AN on the FAA website and the owner came up as being the Boeing company! However, the aircraft is actually a B777-323ER so you are correct that American will be the operator. It appears that Boeing has not handed the airplane over to AA just quite yet, at least according to the FAA website......
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

P.S. concerning the B777-323ER at ARA.....

I was able to watch it take off from a vantage point not too far from the runway about an hour ago. Impressive! The aircraft is heading to PAE in Washington state and just passed right over the top of DFW at FL 400. It appears the airplane is using a Boeing call sign:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE304

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.