Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
WHBM is indeed correct in that it is not an African airline. In fact, now that I think of it, do any African airlines operate the -900 variant of the 737?
OK, this is getting frustrating. The only 737-900 operator to these destinations I can find is Turkish Airlines (TK) -- am I finally getting close?

New airlines for me flown this past week include Korean Air, Asiana, EVA Air, ANA All Nippon and Peach Aviation.
New airline miniature liquor bottle for me this week is from Druk Air (Royal Bhutan Airlines) -- haven't flown them, but are they on your list?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: BA
WHBM, I'll bet you know the answer to this one...
Post #3685.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by WHBM
Post #3685.
hmmm coffee
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22
1- how about ONT-ATL-MIA aboard a Delta 757

5- this could also be Delta: perhaps ANC-PDX-SLC-CVG-MIA with a 72S
1) Delta with an ONT-ATL-MIA routing is correct; however, the flight was not operated with a B757-200, it was a different aircraft type......

5) Delta is correct; however, this flight did not stop in PDX, SLC or CVG nor was the equipment a B727-200.......

So please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm Reason: question number correction......
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by jlemon
4) Delta with an ONT-ATL-MIA routing is correct; however, the flight was not operated with a B757-200, it was a different aircraft type......

5) Delta is correct; however, this flight did not stop in PDX, SLC or CVG nor was the equipment a B727-200.......

So please guess again!
4- fat finger on my phone, and not wearing my reading glasses so I thought all was well ... meant to type "767" since you had mentioned that you were surprised by the equipment type

5- to my recollection DL's only other Lower 48 service to ANC was thru SEA, but I can't place 757s or the ex-WA 733s on the route

that said ... I will hazard another guess: L-1011, ANC-SEA-LAX-DFW-MIA
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
OK, this is getting frustrating. The only 737-900 operator to these destinations I can find is Turkish Airlines (TK) -- am I finally getting close?]
Well, I think you may well be there, miniliq!

WHBM asked how the coffee was.....and perhaps he was referring to Turkish coffee.

So I'm thinking this was TK as well with a 739 on a routing of KGL-EBB-IST......
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1- fat finger on my phone, and not wearing my reading glasses so I thought all was well ... meant to type "767" since you had mentioned that you were surprised by the equipment type

5- to my recollection DL's only other Lower 48 service to ANC was thru SEA, but I can't place 757s or the ex-WA 733s on the route

that said ... I will hazard another guess: L-1011, ANC-SEA-LAX-DFW-MIA
1) Yep, it was Delta with B767-200 service. Here's the sched.....

DL 1668: ONT-ATL-MIA
Op: Daily
Equip: 767
Note: DL 1668 departed ONT at 8:45am and arrived MIA at 7:10pm

I think Delta may have been the only airline ever to serve Ontario with the B767-200.....athough I believe Hawaiian Air also served ONT at one point and may have operated the B767-300 nonstop to HNL. In addition, Delta operated B767-300 service into Ontario as well during the fall of 1991 with a daily roundtrip routing of SAN-ONT-ATL.

5) Well, Delta also flew ANC-SLC nonstop which was a route they continued to operate when they acquired Western and inherited the WA hub at Salt Lake City (although it currently appears that ANC-SLC has become a seasonal nonstop DL route). I flew nonstop between ANC and SLC a number of times on DL operated B757-200s......and my second flight ever on Western was nonstop from SLC to ANC on a B727-200 which was also my very first trip to Alaska. This WA flight had originated at LAX.

Here's the Delta sched.....

DL 1292: ANC-SEA-DFW-MCO-MIA
Op: Daily
Equip: 757
Notes: DL 1292 departed ANC at 5:45am and arrived at MIA at 10:35pm. Three full hot meals were served in both first and coach between ANC and MIA: breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 21, 2013 at 8:21 am Reason: current ANC-SLC DL nonstop service may now be seasonal & additional DL 763 service info for ONT....
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
I would guess this flight left SEA around 1030am ... I traveled to DFW and ATL and ICT on business a number of times between 1992 and 1996, so would generally be on either the early-morning or early-afternoon DL flights, but this departure would kill a whole day in transit rather than allowing me to get a half day in the office
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus, here are some additional quiz items as we await the return of the intrepid Seat 2A from his latest global adventure......

2) You have now attended your meeting in Miami and wish to travel to Providenciales (PLS) in the Turks and Caicos Islands. Your old sailboat buddy has just arrived at the local marina with his catamaran and it's time to go sailing! You discover there are not one but two airlines flying nonstop jet service from MIA to PLS. Name both air carriers and the different equipment types they operated on the route.

3) You are now back in Miami after an excellent sail trip in the Turks and Caicos Islands. You need to travel to St. Petersburg, Florida for a meeting. Now you could fly nonstop to Tampa on AA, DL or US.....but then you discover there is one airline flying nonstop jet service from Miami to St. Petersburg (PIE). Identify this airline and the aircraft type it operated on the route.

The following quiz items all have a time line of the fall of 1994.....

7) Only one airline was operating Fokker F28 jet service into Tallahassee (TLH) at this time. Identify the air carrier and two nonstop routes it served with the F28 from TLH.

8) This airline was operating daily direct jet service from Edmonton (YEG) to Des Moines (DSM). One intermediate stop was made en route. Identify the air carrier, the intermediate stop and the aircraft type.

9) This air carrier was operating all premium class (P) service twice a week between Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (JFK) where one intermediate stop was made en route on this particular flight. Name the airline, the intermediate stop and the equipment flown on the route
All of the above quiz items have now been ANSWERED.....

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 27, 2013 at 7:15 am Reason: answer update...
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12) Identify the only airline that operated jet service from DCA to BWI in the fall of 1994 as well as the aircraft type flown on the route.
Plus, this bonus quiz item remains up for grabs as well......
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus, this bonus quiz item remains up for grabs as well......
... 12) Identify the only airline that operated jet service from DCA to BWI in the fall of 1994 as well as the aircraft type flown on the route.
and the one that prompted it
Question for the community: what rare aircraft did UA affiliates operate between IAD and DCA? I want to say this was in the mid to late 1970s ...
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by miniliq
OK, this is getting frustrating. The only 737-900 operator to these destinations I can find is Turkish Airlines (TK) -- am I finally getting close?
Well, I think you may well be there, miniliq!

WHBM asked how the coffee was.....and perhaps he was referring to Turkish coffee.

So I'm thinking this was TK as well with a 739 on a routing of KGL-EBB-IST......
I knew you all would flesh this one out sooner than later - well actually it was a bit later wasn't it - but whatever - Turkish it was, routing IST-KGL-EBB (for me, at least) with the airplane continuing on back to IST. I figured the answer was right there on my flight memory map all along...

Long day for me yesterday - KIX-HKG-LAX-SEA with a ten hour layover at HKG. Now in Seattle drinking Starbucks' Christmas Blend while awaiting a United A320 down to Houston. Back home tomorrow night!

BTW, miniliq, I've not yet flown Druk Air. There was an article about them in a recent Airways Magazine. I'd love to get to Bhutan before it gets too over run with tourists
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I knew you all would flesh this one out sooner than later - well actually it was a bit later wasn't it - but whatever - Turkish it was, routing IST-KGL-EBB (for me, at least) with the airplane continuing on back to IST. I figured the answer was right there on my flight memory map all along...

Long day for me yesterday - KIX-HKG-LAX-SEA with a ten hour layover at HKG. Now in Seattle drinking Starbucks' Christmas Blend while awaiting a United A320 down to Houston. Back home tomorrow night!

BTW, miniliq, I've not yet flown Druk Air. There was an article about them in a recent Airways Magazine. I'd love to get to Bhutan before it gets too over run with tourists
Looks like you're on the home stretch there, Seat 2A! SEA to FAI via IAH!

And BTW, the OTA&AQ is now north of 146,000 views.....
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Wink DeHavilland Comet; one of the best jet airliners ever

Revised? Wish I'd been old enough to have flown aboard one. Well actually, I was but my allowance wouldn't have permitted it.

Here are a couple of trip reports from flights I took back in the 1970s

DENVER TO HONOLULU VIA CANADA IN 1976 (On a trip that was supposed to go to Mexico!)

DENVER TO ALASKA ROUNDTRIP via SO, TI, DL, AA, AS, WC, CP, PW and UA
Hi folks,

Born in Ireland 1941 and so lived in the Comet's heyday.

Christmas 1962 flew in BEA Comet 4B from LHR to DUB (it replaced the scheduled Vickers Vanguard)

Sep 2nd 1966 flew in Malaysian Comet 4C reg 9V-BAT from KUL-BKK and then April 28th 1967 flew in Malaysian Comet 4C 9V-BAS from SIN (Paya Lebar to HKG (Kai Tak) after flying down from MKZ in a Malayan Airways DC3 (subbed in for the scheduled F27).

Eventually all Comets were retired and some were taken over by the RAF (Royal Air Force) and converted to military use for anti-submarine patrol.

One (Ascot 15, I think) crashed into Lake Ontario during the 1995 Toronto Air Show.

Second only to the wonderful Vickers VC10 the Comet 4C was the best jet I ever flew in!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA
I knew you all would flesh this one out sooner than later - well actually it was a bit later wasn't it - but whatever - Turkish it was, routing IST-KGL-EBB (for me, at least) with the airplane continuing on back to IST.
This is a triangular 737-900 operation, from Istanbul to Kigali, capital of Rwanda, then on to nearby Entebbe in Uganda, and back to Istanbul.

You might wonder what commercial links there are between Turkey and Rwanda, and indeed there are virtually none. However, while Emirates and its Gulf clones Etihad and Qatar have been making headlines with the transfer traffic through The Gulf they are capturing, there has also been some sneaking up in capability of not too far away Kenya, Ethiopian and Turkish Airlines, also with transfer traffic from Europe, and indeed North America, to a range of Asian and African points. Long established carriers like British Airways have lost so much traffic to them, with cheaper fares (there's not a lot of premium traffic to these destinations) that they are starting to give up. BA have abandoned both Dar-es-Salaam in Tanzania and Lusaka in Zambia this year, hitherto served for decades. I'm guessing, S2A, that most of your fellow passengers were Europeans, and Africans travelling to Europe, rather than Turkish travellers.

So, as I described, it was not an African airline. And hopefully serving good, if somewhat basic, coffee. But which continent are TK from then ?

I've not yet flown Druk Air. There was an article about them in a recent Airways Magazine. I'd love to get to Bhutan before it gets too over run with tourists
Long tradition of UK support for Druk Air, who started jet services to their mountain hideaway country in the Himalayas with BAe146s, now replaced by A319s. They were one of the very few carriers to order (helped by UK aid money) the BAe Avro RJX, a further substantial upgrade of the 146/RJ line, which was abandoned, with prototype and first production aircraft well on the way to completion, in 2001. They then ordered some specially adapted A319s (they have A321 engines). The Airbus UK training pilots who went out when the A319s were supplied wrote some lengthy articles about their experiences, the local crews were apparently past masters at flying in these mountain conditions and handling the unique procedures which the Airbus plant at Bristol in the UK had devised for them. The approach to Paro makes the steep approach to London City look like a walk in the park. Here it is. Look at that at about the 10-11 minute mark and imagine doing it in the cloud conditions that often prevail here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzcwdYJ1ibE

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.