FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:10 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
hey tony! I remember seeing an md-80 in hawaiian colors but with psa titles at burbank (bur) back in the day.

According to the schedules in the sept. 1994 oag, all of the ha flights between hnl and koa were operated with "d9s" equipment. Perhaps ha used the "d9s" aircraft code for both the series 30 and series 50?
I flew on a Hawaiian Air DC-9-30 back in 1976 between Maui and Kamuela on the big island. The -30s seemed a rare bird even then. I remember looking up the HA fleet in a JP Fleets book back in the early 90s just to see if any more of the -30s (or even -15s) were still flying for HA but as I recall the last service with the -30s was in the mid-eighties. Who knows though - maybe they followed Northwest's lead and picked up a couple used birds for cheap later on...

By the way, my flight log notes indicate that I paid $31.00 each way to fly those United DC-10s between HNL and KOA. I paid $29.00 to fly a Hawaiian Air L-1011 from PDX to SEA back in 1988. Even factoring in inflation, those are still pretty good fares. In 1979 I paid $13.00 for a standby seat aboard a Pan Am 747SP SFO-LAX - my first ride on that type!