Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

35. (The jlemon Special) Looking for a full day of flying? Try out this no-change-of-plane interchange flight between Denver and Miami. Departing Denver each morning at 7:45am, the flight made ten enroute stops, arriving Miami fourteen hours later at 11:46pm. Identify the two airlines involved in the interchange, the aircraft type flown all the way through, the ten stops in order and the junction point on the interchange service.
A N S W E R E D
Ah, the arrival and departure times for this BN/EA interchange service back in 1955 with a routing of DEN-COS-AMA-OKC-TUL-FSM-LIT-MEM-BHM-ATL-ORL-MIA flown with a Convair 340....

Well, I thought I had them in my back pocket....however, it appears they fell out while I was sprinting through the concourse due to a tight connection. Darn the luck......

But I do have some other information which may possibly be of interest....

In 1965/1966, this Braniff/Eastern interchange service was being operated with a Convair 440. BN/EA 981 departed Denver at 8:10am and flew a routing of DEN-COS-AMA-OKC-TUL-FSM-LIT-MEM-BHM-ATL arriving in Atlanta at 7:00pm. The flight did not continue on to Miami at this time.

By 1967, a Lockheed L-188 Electra was being operated on this interchange service. BN/EA 981 departed Denver at 6:00am and flew a routing of DEN-AMA-OKC-TUL-LIT-MEM-BHM-ATL arriving in Atlanta at 3:55pm. The flight still terminated in ATL and the stop at Fort Smith had been eliminated.

In 1968, a Boeing 727-100 had replaced the Electra. BN/EA 981 departed Denver at 10:00am and flew a routing of DEN-MEM-ATL-MIA arriving in Miami at 5:53pm.

Memphis was always the interchange point for these BN/EA through service flights.

Going back to 1952, it appears that Eastern first entered into an interchange agreement with an air carrier which was subsequently acquired by Braniff in the early 1950's: Mid-Continent Airlines. Eastern and Mid-Continent were operating interchange service in 1952 with a round trip routing of MKC-STL-ATL-JAX-MIA with St. Louis being the interchange point. Shortly afterwards, Braniff acquired Mid-Continent and continued to fly this interchange service between Kansas City and Miami in conjunction with Eastern, although in 1955 the routing was different: MKC-STL-ATL-TLH-PIE-MIA on the east and southbound service and MIA-TLH-ATL-STL-MKC on the return. As discussed, the interchange between DEN and MIA was also being operated by BN and EA at this time so perhaps the previous arrangement between Mid-Continent and Eastern led to an expansion of interchange flights when Braniff showed up.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 21, 2016 at 12:24 pm
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

28. What was the easternmost city served by Frontier Airlines in 1955?

40. This San Francisco to Miami interchange flight involved three airlines. Departing SFO each morning at 7:50am, it made four stops enroute to Miami, arriving just over twelve hours later at 11:04pm. Identify each of the stops, the airlines involved and the junction points on the interchange service. If you like, you may also have a go at identifying the aircraft type utilized.
28. This may have been Bismarck, North Dakota. Years later, the original Frontier would serve Bismarck with the Boeing 737-200 direct from Denver (and I think the reincarnation of Frontier did so initially as well). But back then, aircraft was likely a DC-3 and the service between DEN and BIS probably required one or more connections plus a whole bunch of stops all over the place.

40. Baghdad by the Bay to the northernmost outpost of Latin America! An all day adventure! And via no less than three airlines.....

Well, then....let's start out our journey on American from SFO to Dallas Love Field via a stop at Oakland. We'll then fly on Delta (or was it Delta C&S at this time?) from DAL nonstop to New Orleans. From MSY, we'll depart for Miami on National and make a stop at Tampa en route.

Equipment? I think all three airlines were operating the DC-6 back then (might have been a DC-6B) so let's go with this classic four engine Douglas workhorse.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
30. All Pan American flights between Honolulu and either Auckland or Sydney made two enroute stops prior to continuing on to AKL or SYD. Identify those stops.

Canton Island and Nadi (Fiji)

Correct! Interestingly, PA's schedules showed the second stop as Fiji's capitol Suva, but then indicated in parenthesis that the actual stop was in Nandi - 130 miles away.

37. Back in 1955, TWA did not yet fly to Denver. If you wanted to fly to the closest city to Denver served by TWA, where would you purchase a ticket to?

In 1955 TWA 260, a Martin 404 headed to Santa Fe (and a number of points farther east) crashed just short of the top of Sandia Peak outside Albuquerque ... for some reason I thought the next stop after SAF was ALS, but as I was obviously mistaken I will guess SAF is indeed the destination in question.

You Da Man, J! Good answer. ^
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
28. What was the easternmost city served by Frontier Airlines in 1955?

This may have been Bismarck, North Dakota. Years later, the original Frontier would serve Bismarck with the Boeing 737-200 direct from Denver (and I think the reincarnation of Frontier did so initially as well). But back then, aircraft was likely a DC-3 and the service between DEN and BIS probably required one or more connections plus a whole bunch of stops all over the place.

Correct! Passengers desiring transport between Denver and Bismarck appear to have had only one option, and it involved quite a long day of flying. Here's how it would have gone...

FL 002 Dep. Denver, CO 605am Arr. Riverton, WY 953am Stops in Cheyenne, Laramie and Casper

FL 004 Dep. Riverton, WY 1036am Arr. Billings, MT 1225p Stops in Worland and Cody

FL 034 Dep. Billings, MT 130pm Arr. Bismarck, ND 637pm Stops in Miles City, Glendive, Sidney, Williston and Dickinson

40. This San Francisco to Miami interchange flight involved three airlines. Departing SFO each morning at 7:50am, it made four stops enroute to Miami, arriving just over twelve hours later at 11:04pm. Identify each of the stops, the airlines involved and the junction points on the interchange service. If you like, you may also have a go at identifying the aircraft type utilized.

Baghdad by the Bay to the northernmost outpost of Latin America! An all day adventure! And via no less than three airlines.....

Well, then....let's start out our journey on American from SFO to Dallas Love Field via a stop at Oakland. We'll then fly on Delta (or was it Delta C&S at this time?) from DAL nonstop to New Orleans. From MSY, we'll depart for Miami on National and make a stop at Tampa en route.

Equipment? I think all three airlines were operating the DC-6 back then (might have been a DC-6B) so let's go with this classic four engine Douglas workhorse

Correct on all counts! Breakfast, a Snack and Dinner would be served enroute.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

34. TWA and Braniff operated interchange flights between San Francisco, CA and Houston, TX. The TWA portion of this flight made two stops enroute to the interchange point where Braniff took over and made one more stop enroute to Houston. Identify the aircraft, each of the enroute stops as well as the junction point on the interchange service.
Well, I was not aware that good ol' Braniff and TWA operated an interchange service back in the day. So here we go....

First stop on the TWA flight departing from San Francisco was probably Los Angeles perhaps followed by a second stop in Las Vegas.

This brings us to the interchange point. TWA only served one destination in Texas for many years prior to deregulation: Amarillo. Braniff served Amarillo as well so we'll go with AMA as the interchange point. The next logical stop would have been Dallas Love Field and then on to Houston Hobby.

There just might be one little problem here: the equipment. I'll bet it was a Lockheed Constellation. However, I do not think Braniff ever flew the Constellation......so perhaps only TWA equipment was operated on this interchange service with BN aircraft never being used (I brought up this conundrum earlier today concerning the Braniff/Continental STL-MKC-DEN interchange service flown with a Viscount as I strongly believe BN never operated the four engine Vickers propjet either).

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 21, 2016 at 4:32 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA
the equipment. I'll bet it was a Lockheed Constellation. However, I do not think Braniff ever flew the Constellation.
https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...act=mrc&uact=8
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In 1968, a Boeing 727-100 had replaced the Electra. BN/EA 981 departed Denver at 10:00am and flew a routing of DEN-MEM-ATL-MIA arriving in Miami at 5:53pm.

Memphis was always the interchange point for these BN/EA through service flights.
My first ever flight aboard Eastern Airlines was almost 40 years ago to the day in July of 1976 - between Atlanta and Memphis. The aircraft operating that flight was a two-tone red Braniff 727-100 operating as part of the EA/BN interchange between ATL and DEN. The next day, I flew upon my first actual Eastern jet, a 727-100QC operating on behalf of Braniff between Oklahoma City and Denver - once again as part of the EA/BN interchange between ATL and DEN. There were two flights each day routing ATL-MEM-OKC-DEN. Eastern equipment operated the morning flight while Braniff aircraft handled the afternoon departure.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

34. TWA and Braniff operated interchange flights between San Francisco, CA and Houston, TX. The TWA portion of this flight made two stops enroute to the interchange point where Braniff took over and made one more stop enroute to Houston. Identify the aircraft, each of the enroute stops as well as the junction point on the interchange service.

Well, I was not aware that good ol' Braniff and TWA operated an interchange service back in the day. So here we go....

First stop on the TWA flight departing from San Francisco was probably Los Angeles perhaps followed by a second stop in Las Vegas.

This brings us to the interchange point. TWA only served one destination in Texas for many years prior to deregulation: Amarillo. Braniff served Amarillo as well so we'll go with AMA as the interchange point. The next logical stop would have been Dallas Love Field and then on to Houston Hobby.

There just might be one little problem here: the equipment. I'll bet it was a Lockheed Constellation. However, I do not think Braniff ever flew the Constellation......so perhaps only TWA equipment was operated on this interchange service with BN aircraft never being used.

Way to work it out there, JL! You've nailed all the stops and junction point correctly. And - as WHBM has indicated, Braniff did indeed operate Constellations. What the schedule doesn't indicate is which airline's equipment was used.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS LATE 1948

2A. This airline’s 1948 ads claimed it to be the second most elderly airline in America. Which airline is it?
2B. As of 1948, what was the oldest major airline in America? A N S W E R E D
2C. Identify the oldest continually operating airline regardless of size in America.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1950

This set of questions will be presented as a point to point tour, starting off in chilly Nome, Alaska and ending up in sunny Havana, Cuba.

14. Continuing our rather roundabout journey, we board this airline’s daily two-stop service to Portland, Oregon. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two intermediate stops along the way.

16. Following a long weekend spent at a business partner’s ranch in the nearby Medicine Bow Mountains, we return to Cheyenne where we are presented with a choice of three airlines offering service down to Denver, Colorado. Two of the airlines offer nonstop flights while the third offers a single daily one-stop flight. Identify each of the three airlines and the enroute stop that one of them makes.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1955

22. In the midst of a marvelous afternoon at the 5th Annual Okeechobee Gator Wrasslin’ Jamboree, you get a message from one of your colleagues at the Audubon Foundation (What tha – nobody was even supposed to know you were here! How’re you ever going to explain this?!) insisting that you must get down to Mexico City at once! A rare scissor tailed Agave Warbler has been spotted in the mountains outside of Puebla. OMG!!! Dropping everything including your beer, you rush to the nearest payphone and call your local travel agent. With your UATP card on file, she quickly and efficiently books you a seat aboard the only nonstop flight offered between Miami and Mexico City. Identify the airline and the aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

23. “The Nonstop Statesman”, “The Tradewind”, “The Rocket” and “The New Englander” were all named flights operated by this airline.

24. BOAC’s Trans-Atlantic Stratocruiser flights offered branded First and Economy Class service. What were the names of these respective services?
A N S W E R E D

26. If you were flying aboard “The Michigan Special”, which airline and aircraft would you be flying upon?

27. If you were to book a flight aboard “The Green Hell Special”, which airline would you be flying, what aircraft would you be flying upon and where on earth would you be flying from and to?

29. What airline and aircraft would you be flying upon if you were living it up in the “Starlight Cocktail Lounge”?

31. Identify the seven mainline North American airlines serving Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in 1955.

Avianca’s “El Colombiano” Super Constellation flights between Bogota and Europe made one enroute stop in Colombia and two enroute stops on Atlantic islands before making their first stop on the European continent. This question has two parts:

32A. Identify the one Colombian and two Atlantic stopovers between Bogota and Europe

32B. Identify in order the four European cities served by Avianca on this flight.

33. Every Thursday evening, an all-First Class configured Lockheed Super Constellation dubbed “The Qantas Connoisseur” departs London bound for Sydney, Australia. Though flying times had improved considerably since the days of Empire Airways’ Flying Boat services to Sydney, this flight still makes eight enroute stops and takes 74 hours to complete. Identify in order each of the eight enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

36. Two airlines offered nonstop flights between New York and Caracas. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated on this route.

38. In 1955 Four U.S. airlines provided nonstop service between three U.S. gateway cities and Havana, Cuba. Identify each airline and the city/cities it served Havana from.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 23, 2016 at 10:30 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
[QUOTE=Seat 2A;26951301]
[B][U]THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1955

33. Every Thursday evening, an all-First Class configured Lockheed Super Constellation dubbed “The Qantas Connoisseur” departs London bound for Sydney, Australia. Though flying times had improved considerably since the days of Empire Airways’ Flying Boat services to Sydney, this flight still makes eight enroute stops and takes 74 hours to complete. Identify in order each of the eight enroute stops.
Partially Answered: LHR-ROME-CAIRO-_____________ - _______________ -BANGKOK-SINGAPORE-DJAKARTA-DARWIN-SYD
How about Karachi and Calcutta.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
[QUOTE=Seat 2A;26951301]
[B][U]THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1955

23. “The Nonstop Statesman”, “The Tradewind”, “The Rocket” and “The New Englander” were all named flights operated by this airline.
National had a Tradewind flight between New Orleans and Tampa -- I don't know the city pairs for the other flights.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq
33. (1955) Every Thursday evening, an all-First Class configured Lockheed Super Constellation dubbed “The Qantas Connoisseur” departs London bound for Sydney, Australia. Though flying times had improved considerably since the days of Empire Airways’ Flying Boat services to Sydney, this flight still makes eight enroute stops and takes 75 hours to complete. Identify in order each of the eight enroute stops.
Partially Answered: LHR-ROME-CAIRO-_____________ - _______________ -BANGKOK-SINGAPORE-DJAKARTA-DARWIN-SYD

How about Karachi and Calcutta.

:-::-: Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! :-::-:

This flight would depart London Thursday evening at 6:00pm and arrive Sydney on Monday morning at 7:00am local time - seventy-five hours later.

National had a Tradewind flight between New Orleans and Tampa -- I don't know the city pairs for the other flights.

True. However, National did not also operate flights named “The Nonstop Statesman”, “The Rocket” and “The New Englander”. I'm looking for the airline that operated all four of these flights. Please - guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 22, 2016 at 9:58 am
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, my goodness, I learn something new just about each and every day....and Braniff did indeed operate Constellation aircraft.

WHBM, would you happen to know what model Connie is in the photo?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

24. BOAC’s Trans-Atlantic Stratocruiser flights offered branded First and Economy Class service. What were the names of these respective services?
23. I think we are talking about American here.

24. Ah, Stratocruiser Speedbird service.....I believe first was De Luxe Class and coach was Tourist Class.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 23, 2016 at 10:31 am
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

WHBM, would you happen to know what model Connie is in the photo?
It looks like an L049 model...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.