Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
12- how about a way-out-there guess: Braniff with a -62

35b- I'm thinking this was likely Reno Air, operating a MadDog via SEA, RNO (with SJC also a candidate), and LAS
12. Braniff International is indeed a way-out-there guess....and it is also correct! Here's the complete sched....

BN 705: Miami (MIA) 10:00a - 11:50a Dallas/Fort Worth 12:20p - 12:50p Las Vegas (LAS) 1:20p - 2:30p Sacramento (SMF)
Op: Daily
Equip: DC-8
Meal service: Lunch MIA-DFW, Lunch DFW-LAS, Snack LAS-SMF

Braniff was operating quite a few flights with the DC-8 between South America and Miami as well as on domestic routes out of MIA at this time. The OAG and the BN timetable do not specify whether these aircraft were actually long range DC-8-62 models.....however, in 1979 I have the strong feeling they were.

35-B. Reno Air is correct! Here's the sched....

QQ 2753: Anchorage (ANC) 1:37a - 5:52a Seattle (SEA) 6:30a - 8:04a Reno (RNO) 8:42a - 9:50a Las Vegas (LAS) 10:25a - 1:07p Colorado Springs (COS)
Op: Daily except Sat.
Equip: MD-80
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
21. I'll guess Pan Am.
21. Your guess is correct! Here's the sched....

PA 805: Tokyo Narita (NRT) 5:45p - 6:55p Osaka Itami (ITM) 7:50p - 9:35p Seoul Gimpo (GMP)
Op: NRT-ITM Daily, ITM-GMP Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays only
Equip: B727-200
Note: No local traffic NRT-ITM

And folks, I just spent over an hour on the phone with American fixing a problem concerning an upcoming reward travel trip that Lady K and yours truly will take this fall. The situation did not concern AA, it concerned a British Airways flight in First I had booked with AAdvantage miles last spring before AA devalued their program thus increasing the number of miles required for travel in international first. Using the minimum number of miles required, I was able to snag a couple of seats in First on a BA operated B777-200 from London Heathrow to Washington Dulles with a stopover in D.C and then continuing in domestic first the next day on AA DCA-DFW-LFT.

However, when I checked our flights earlier this morning on aa.com, I noticed the class of service on our BA flight was no longer listed as "First", it was now listed as "Business". Uh oh.....and a quick check on ba.com confirmed my fears. We had been originally booked on a BA 777 featuring four classes of service: First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller. However, this flight no longer features a first class cabin and we had been downgraded to Club World. Of course, AA did not refund my miles due to the change in the class of service.

So what to do? Back on aa.com, I ascertained there was reward travel availability in First on an earlier BA flight from LHR to IAD on our date of travel. I then called American and was fortunately connected with a truly terrific agent. It took quite a bit of time to make the change with the help of a supervisor. But in the end, all was well and harmony reigns supreme once again. The gentleman on the phone was even able to select our seats in First on our BA flight. Plus, I did not have to use any additional miles or pay an additional fee. And, oh by the way, instead of a 777 we will now be flying on board an A380. I'm really looking forward to this flight in First on British Airways, not to mention a visit to the Concorde room at LHR beforehand!

And now to the lawnmower.....
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
The OAG and the BN timetable do not specify whether these aircraft were actually long range DC-8-62 models.....however, in 1979 I have the strong feeling they were.
I could be mistaken, but I'm not recalling that BN ever operated the -61 or -63
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I could be mistaken, but I'm not recalling that BN ever operated the -61 or -63
Not to my knowledge....but I do believe Braniff International took delivery of new, long range DC-8-62 aircraft following their acquisition of Panagra. BN flew the series 62 nonstop on the Los Angeles (LAX) - Santiago (SCL) route which is 5,580 miles. In some OAGs, BN operated DC-8-62 aircraft are identified with the "D8S" code which I've always thought is a bit misleading.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA
Not to my knowledge....but I do believe Braniff International took delivery of new, long range DC-8-62 aircraft following their acquisition of Panagra. BN flew the series 62 nonstop on the Los Angeles (LAX) - Santiago (SCL) route which is 5,580 miles. In some OAGs, BN operated DC-8-62 aircraft are identified with the "D8S" code which I've always thought is a bit misleading.
The DC8-62 were actually ordered by Panagra to replace their original DC8 fleet, and were delivered only months after the merger. They were delivered in 1967 simultaneously with a Boeing 707-327C fleet that Braniff had ordered, to some extent for their own established service to the west coast of South America, but also for a substantial military charter contract to Vietnam. When that contract was lost a few years later, Braniff surprisingly stuck with the DC8 and sold off the 707 fleet from longtime partner Boeing. It must have been an interesting decision for Harding Lawrence. They later picked up more secondhand DC8-62, and then some secondhand DC8-50s as well, and started to use them on US flights where you really would have expected a 727. They never had the longer-body DC8-61/63. The official ICAO code for all the Super DC8s was always D8S, there weren't many operators that had both the -62 and the long -61/63, but there were a few like SAS where you couldn't identify which type was in use.

Now a bonus question is that in 1970-71 a curious commitment required Braniff to lease out one of their DC8-62 to another airline, fully in their livery. Who was it ? Answered - Pan Am

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 9, 2016 at 11:24 pm
Old Jul 9, 2016, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
Now a bonus question is that in 1970-71 a curious commitment required Braniff to lease out one of their DC8-62 to another airline, fully in their livery. Who was it ?
Pan Am. George Hamlin has a couple of beautiful photos of this aircraft on his web site.

What routes was it used on?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The DC8-62 were actually ordered by Panagra to replace their original DC8 fleet, and were delivered only months after the merger....

They later picked up more secondhand DC8-62, and then some secondhand DC8-50s as well, and started to use them on US flights where you really would have expected a 727.....

The official ICAO code for all the Super DC8s was always D8S, there weren't many operators that had both the -62 and the long -61/63, but there were a few like SAS where you couldn't identify which type was in use.
Well, I was hoping you might chime in and thus prevent yours truly from getting into too much trouble......

Interesting to note that Braniff International picked up some used series 50 DC8 aircraft. I was not aware of this.

Braniff was well known for operating nonstop Boeing 747 service between Dallas/Fort Worth and Honolulu. But they were also operating DC8 Saturday only service nonstop between DFW and HNL at one point as well in tandem with the 747 service. Back in 1974, BN 501 operated with a 747 would depart DFW at 1:00pm on a daily basis arriving HNL at 4:00pm. BN 503 operated with a DC8 would depart DFW 45 minutes earlier at 12:15pm and arrive HNL at 3:20pm every Saturday.

And when Delta and United began operating re-engined Super DC8-71 aircraft, the code in the OAG was still "D8S".....
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:22 pm

Braniff picked up four DC8-50s from National in the early 1970s, and later another two from Delta. Some of them lasted right through to the closure.

The one leased to Pan Am was a bit of a standoff with the CAB, as the old Panagra route network only existed south of Panama. North of there the flights continued on an Interchange Agreement with Pan Am to Miami and thence National to New York. Panagra had always provided all the aircraft throughout, but crews were changed to those of the relevant airline. By 1970 Pan Am had got rid of their last DC8, and someone at the CAB had picked up that although the Pan Am crews were fully licensed for the DC8 (many being old stagers since jets first came along), Pan Am didn't have a DC8 aircraft on their Air Operators Certificate any more. So Braniff had to lease Pan Am an aircraft to keep the arrangement going. National still had DC8s at the time. Eventually Braniff got a licence for Miami to Panama, and the charade stopped. The aircraft operated just mixed in with the Braniff fleet on flights down the South American west coast.

There were a whole series of issues between the authorities and Panagra, not sure why. Pan Am tried repeatedly to get authorisation to buy out the Grace Shipping shareholding (it was owned 50-50), who were willing sellers, or to get equivalent licences, or extend the route network, everything. Eventually they gave up, and the whole operation was sold off to Braniff.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 9, 2016 at 11:29 pm
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 1970's.....

10. In the summer of 1979 this air carrier was operating a morning flight six days a week from Montreal to Winnipeg with four stops being made en route. The flight departed YUL at 7:05am and arrived in YWG at 12:20pm. Name the airline, the equipment and all four intermediate stops in order. ANSWERED - Nordair operating a Boeing 737-200 with a routing of YUL-YYZ-YAM-YQT-YHD-YWG.

The 1980's.....

13. If you wanted to fly on board a Convair 580, de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 or Fokker F27 nonstop from Bakersfield (BFL) to Los Angeles (LAX) in the spring of 1981, what airlines would you call? ANSWERED
Last call for the above quiz items! I'll provide answers later today should there be no takers.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 11, 2016 at 9:09 am Reason: added a hint & answer update
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 1990's......

28. In 1992, Air Canada was operating Boeing 747-133 aircraft configured with two classes of service. What was the name given by AC to each class of service? Also identify the number of seats in each class of service. ANSWERED

29. Speaking of Air Canada, it's the spring of 1995 and you are in Toronto. You need to travel to Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island and have a choice of two airlines that can get you there nonstop. One is Air Canada. Identify the other air carrier and the jet equipment it was flying on the YYZ-YYG route at this time. The airline was not Canadian (CP)....it was a new start up air carrier. ANSWERED

31. It's late winter of 1996 in Los Angeles and you've just received a call from your old sailing buddy. "So where are you now?" you ask and the answer is "Key West! Come on over! We've got the cat provisioned for a sail to the Turks and Caicos islands and you need to be on board!" Well, what the heck...and here's your chance to try first class on Carnival Air Lines from L.A. to Fort Lauderdale with a connection to Key West. So you book the flight and are then told by the Carnival agent your flight from FLL to EYW will actually be on another airline operating a de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 turboprop via a code share. Name the Dash 7 operator. ANSWERED

32. You are back in New York City and it's the spring of 1997. The days of multi-stop milk run flights up and down the east coast between the northeast U.S. and Florida are over (remember that 727 flight operated by National that stopped just about everywhere?). Or are they? To your pleasant surprise, you've found a daily direct flight operated with a mainline jet aircraft type that makes four stops en route from New York JFK to Miami. Identify the airline, the equipment and all four stops in the order in which they were made. The air carrier in question was a new start up operating Boeing aircraft.... ANSWERED

The final two quiz items both have a time line of the summer of 1999.....

33. This airline was operating nonstop wide body service once a week between Nassau (NAS) and Havana (HAV). The westbound flight operated every Friday and the eastbound flight operated every Monday. Name the airline and the aircraft type. This air carrier was not based in the western hemisphere.... ANSWERED

34. Only one air carrier was operating Boeing 727 service into Winnipeg (YWG) at this time. Name the airline. The air carrier was not Northwest.... ANSWERED
Still looking for answers for the above quiz items as well.....and I've now added a few hints here and there.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 15, 2016 at 8:34 am Reason: added a few hints here and there & answer updates
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:26 am

10. In the summer of 1979 this air carrier was operating a morning flight six days a week from Montreal to Winnipeg with four stops being made en route. The flight departed YUL at 7:05am and arrived in YWG at 12:20pm. Name the airline, the equipment and all four intermediate stops in order. Mostly answered. Nordair operating a Boeing 737-200 with a routing of YUL-_____-YAM-YQT-YHD-YWG. Still looking for one of the stops.
I think the answer to this intermediate stop may be the obvious-but-not point of Toronto. Although Nordair initially built up service from Montreal/Ottawa through nearby (supposedly) Hamilton, I believe the western route, awarded in regulated days to be competitive to Air Canada, was from Toronto, and Nordair, like CP, were thus allowed a limited number of Montreal-Toronto flights.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 10, 2016 at 9:09 am
Old Jul 10, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the answer to this intermediate stop may be the obvious-but-not point of Toronto. Although Nordair initially built up service from Montreal/Ottawa through nearby (supposedly) Hamilton, I believe the western route, awarded in regulated days to be competitive to Air Canada, was from Toronto, and Nordair, like CP, were thus allowed a limited number of Montreal-Toronto flights.
10. Toronto was indeed the first stop. Here's the sched....

ND 843: Montreal (YUL) 07:05 - 08:15 Toronto (YYZ) 08:55 - 10:00 Sault Ste. Marie (YAM) 10:20 - 11:15 Thunder Bay (YQT) 11:35 - 11:20 Dryden (YHD) 11:35 - 12:20 Winnipeg (YWG)
Op: Daily except Saturdays
Equip: B737-200
Meal services: Breakfast YUL-YYZ & YYZ-YAM
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13. If you wanted to fly on board a Convair 580, de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 or Fokker F27 nonstop from Bakersfield (BFL) to Los Angeles (LAX) in the spring of 1981, what airlines would you call?
Time to close this one out....

10. Golden Gate Airlines (GG) operating Convair 580 and de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 aircraft and Swift Aire (WI) flying Fokker F.27 Friendship aircraft.

Golden Gate was operating three nonstops a day from BFL to LAX at this time, two with the Dash 7 and one with the CV-580, while Swift Aire was flying two nonstops a day on the same route with the F.27 plus a third flight operated with a Nord 262. There were no other airlines flying between BFL and LAX at the time.

Later in 1981, MRY-based Golden Gate and SBP-based Swift Aire attempted to merge with GG planned as being the surviving carrier. However, things did not go well and the combined entity went out of business that same year.

I believe several of the Swift Aire F.27s (which had been purchased new) then made their way to Air North in the northeast U.S.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 1990's......

28. In 1992, Air Canada was operating Boeing 747-133 aircraft configured with two classes of service. What was the name given by AC to each class of service? Also identify the number of seats in each class of service. There were not that many seats in business class but there was a very high number of seats in coach ANSWERED

29. Speaking of Air Canada, it's the spring of 1995 and you are in Toronto. You need to travel to Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island and have a choice of two airlines that can get you there nonstop. One is Air Canada. Identify the other air carrier and the jet equipment it was flying on the YYZ-YYG route at this time. The airline was not Canadian (CP)....it was actually a new start up air carrier ANSWERED

31. It's late winter of 1996 in Los Angeles and you've just received a call from your old sailing buddy. "So where are you now?" you ask and the answer is "Key West! Come on over! We've got the cat provisioned for a sail to the Turks and Caicos islands and you need to be on board!" Well, what the heck...and here's your chance to try first class on Carnival Air Lines from L.A. to Fort Lauderdale with a connection to Key West. So you book the flight and are then told by the Carnival agent your flight from FLL to EYW will actually be on another airline operating a de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 turboprop via a code share. Name the Dash 7 operator. This commuter air carrier was based in Florida and the tail registrations of its aircraft ended in "MG"....which meant something very specific ANSWERED

32. You are back in New York City and it's the spring of 1997. The days of multi-stop milk run flights up and down the east coast between the northeast U.S. and Florida are over (remember that 727 flight operated by National that stopped just about everywhere?). Or are they? To your pleasant surprise, you've found a daily direct flight operated with a mainline jet aircraft type that makes four stops en route from New York JFK to Miami. Identify the airline, the equipment and all four stops in the order in which they were made. This new start up air carrier operated Boeing equipment ANSWERED

The final two quiz items both have a time line of the summer of 1999.....

33. This airline was operating nonstop wide body service once a week between Nassau (NAS) and Havana (HAV). The westbound flight operated every Friday and the eastbound flight operated every Monday. Name the airline and the aircraft type. This airline was not based in the western hemisphere and the equipment was a trijet ANSWERED

34. Only one air carrier was operating Boeing 727 service into Winnipeg (YWG) at this time. Name the airline. The air carrier was not Northwest....and the airline in question was operating its one and only flight from YWG via a code share ANSWERED
Just six quiz items remain....and I think it's time to issue a "last call" for all of them. I've also added a few more hints.

Should there be no takers, I'll provide the answers tomorrow evening.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 15, 2016 at 8:33 am
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
28. In 1992, Air Canada was operating Boeing 747-133 aircraft configured with two classes of service. What was the name given by AC to each class of service? Also identify the number of seats in each class of service. There were not that many seats in business class but there was a very high number of seats in coach.

The only things that come to mind are "Connoisseuer Class" and "Comfort Class"

29. Speaking of Air Canada, it's the spring of 1995 and you are in Toronto. You need to travel to Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island and have a choice of two airlines that can get you there nonstop. One is Air Canada. Identify the other air carrier and the jet equipment it was flying on the YYZ-YYG route at this time. The airline was not Canadian (CP)....it was actually a new start up air carrier.

I used to see this airline listed in the OAG on flights down to Florida but it was around back in the late 90s, so what the heck, let's go with it - Royal Air or Royal Airlines. I'll guess the aircraft was a 737-200. Royal stood out for me because it flew A310s though that seems a bit large for the YYG market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.