Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Good morning miniliq! Hope all is well with you and the family over there in the New Orleans area. And get ready for a very warm day: it was already 79 F at LFT at 8:00am this morning with not a cloud in the sky. We'll be quite lucky to receive a cooling thundershower this afternoon as an upper air disturbance slides our way from Texas.

And, no, the air carrier in question was not Air Illinois operating from Carbondale. Of course, you will recall that UX did operate BAC One-Eleven service at one point....

Please guess again!
OK, ll stop guessing -- how about Coleman Air Transport (LT) out of Rockford (RFD)? Took a bit of research to find this one.

Yes, it's approaching 90 degrees here - which I love -- we're still thawing out from YEG and YYC.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:09 am

2. JoeDTW had previously guessed Southern with DC-3 service. However, SO was not flying BHM-MOB at this. And the air carrier we are looking for was not operating the Martin 4-0-4 on the route. In fact, the aircraft we are looking for was actually a turboprop. So there's a hint for you. Plus, the other airline has been correctly identified as United....but UA was not flying a Viscount or DC-6B on their service.
We've ruled out Southern. MOB was served by NA, but not by DL. BHM was served by DL, but not NA. Also, DL did not fly turboprops on passenger flights until after their merger with Northeast. That leaves Eastern as the most likely remaining possibility, with Lockheed Electras.

Regarding UA, if it wasn't a Viscount or DC-6B, maybe it was a 727-22?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
20. In the fall of 1985, this air carrier was operating nonstop wide body service between Caracas (CCS) and Port of Spain (POS) six days a week. Identify the airline and the aircraft.
Guessing time again -- I can't imagine Viasa or LAV operating a widebody in this service, so that leaves BWIA, and once again it's hard to imagine widebody service on that short run -- but BWIA did have L1011 service to Barbados and London from POS -- perhaps those routes started in CCS.

We lived in POS a few years later, but all of our side trips to CCS or Caribbean destinations were not on widebody aircraft.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
OK, ll stop guessing -- how about Coleman Air Transport (LT) out of Rockford (RFD)? Took a bit of research to find this one.

Yes, it's approaching 90 degrees here - which I love -- we're still thawing out from YEG and YYC.

Coleman Air Transport is correct!

The commuter air carrier was operating a small hub out of Rockford with nonstop Grumman Gulfstream I propjet service to Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, Detroit Metro, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Moline and Peoria.

Coleman then announced DC9-10 service nonstop between RFD and New York LaGuardia with two weekday round trip flights appearing in the OAG but reportedly lost its operating certificate before it could commence jet operations.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
16. In late 1984 America West was operating Boeing 737-200 service into four destinations in Colorado. Name all four.

I believe we're looking for Denver, Colorado Springs, Durango and Grand Junction.

17. It's early 1985 and you are in New York City. You need to travel to Indianapolis for a meeting and have discovered that one airline can get you there in first class on board a wide body aircraft. This flight makes one intermediate stop between NYC and IND. Identify the airline, the equipment, the stop and the airport you will be departing from in New York.

A widebody into Indianapolis sounds like TWA, with an L1011. As for the departure airport, let's go with JFK, routing via PHL.

3. Now it's the summer of 1965 and you are in Seattle. You need to travel to Prince Rupert, B.C. for a lunch meeting; however, you already know there is no nonstop or direct service from SEA to YPR. So you'll have to fly on two different airlines and most likely connect in Vancouver. But how to get from Seattle to Prince Rupert in the most expedient manner? You discover there is a flight from SEA departing at 5:30am to YVR that will enable a quick (and legal) connection to your second flight from YVR to YPR which will make one intermediate stop en route before arriving in Prince Rupert at 10:40am. You also note you'll be served a snack between SEA and YPR as well as breakfast between YVR and YPR. So with all this in mind, identify both of the air carriers, the respective aircraft types and the intermediate stop between Vancouver and Prince Rupert.

Okay, so we know it's United up to YVR, but not a DC-6. Let's go with a Boeing 720.

We also know it's Canadian Pacific operating a DC-6 up to Prince Rupert. Having driven through here many times, a couple of closer towns come to mind. Let's start with Terrace.
16. I believe Colorado Springs, Durango and Grand Junction are indeed correct....but not Denver. Three down, one to go!

17. Well, you have correctly named the departure airport in New York: JFK. And you have also correctly identified the equipment: the L1011. But what kind of L10?

However, the airline was not TWA and the stop was not made at PHL.

3. United operating a Boeing 720 is correct!

It's interesting to note that UA 380 originated in SEA and thus was not the continuation of a red eye flight coming in from another U.S. destination. So it appears this was a positioning flight for the 6:55am departure of UA 395 on a routing of YVR-SEA-SFO. Service classes on UA 380 and UA 395 were F/L/Y: Standard First Class, Custom Coach and Economy Coach, although I believe the 720 featured a two class cabin.

And as for the CP operated DC-6B service from YVR to YPR, the intermediate stop was not made at Terrace (YXT). Please guess again!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA
which I think they inherited from South Central Air Transport (SCAT) which in turn operated the type into New Orleans
Little bonus question. There's another, current airline which has the same initials; I've seen them around a couple of times. They are likely the LAST airline to introduce into service a certain aircraft type into scheduled passenger service. What might that type be.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
how about Colorado Springs (COS), Denver (DEN), Grand Junction (GJT), and Pueblo (PUB)

part 1 sounds like a TWA L-1011 operating IND-LAX via the St Louis hub; part 2 LAX-TVL was probably on Air California, but I'm at a loss as to the aircraft: TVL may have restricted the use of noisy 737-200s, and I don't think they had the -300s in the fleet at this time
16. Seat 2A has already correctly guessed Colorado Springs, Durango and Grand Junction. Denver is incorrect as is Pueblo....although I recall being on board an HP 73S from PHX to COS which made a stop in PUB some years earlier (thus, I'm one of the few folks who has actually flown into and out of Pueblo on mainline jet equipment ). So we are still looking for one more destination in Colorful Colorado.

18. TWA with an L10 in first on a routing of IND-STL-LAX is correct! And Air California was now AirCal by this time. As for the aircraft type operated by OC from LAX to TVL, it was not Boeing equipment. So that leaves......
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
We've ruled out Southern. MOB was served by NA, but not by DL. BHM was served by DL, but not NA. Also, DL did not fly turboprops on passenger flights until after their merger with Northeast. That leaves Eastern as the most likely remaining possibility, with Lockheed Electras.

Regarding UA, if it wasn't a Viscount or DC-6B, maybe it was a 727-22?
2. Eastern operating nonstop Lockheed L-188 Electra service BHM-MOB is correct! EA operated three nonstop Electra flights a day on the route, including a departure from Birmingham in the wee hours of the morning at 2:45am which arrived in Mobile at 3:27am (this flight originated at ATL). Plus, the evening Electra nonstop from BHM departing at 6:30pm featured a full hot dinner service in both classes (A/T). BTW, the fourth flight I mentioned, being a one stop service via Montgomery, was actually operated with a Convair 440.

And we're back to United operating their daily nonstop round trip service between Birmingham and Mobile. The aircraft was not a B727-100. Which leaves....
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guessing time again -- I can't imagine Viasa or LAV operating a widebody in this service, so that leaves BWIA, and once again it's hard to imagine widebody service on that short run -- but BWIA did have L1011 service to Barbados and London from POS -- perhaps those routes started in CCS.

We lived in POS a few years later, but all of our side trips to CCS or Caribbean destinations were not on widebody aircraft.
20. An excellent guess! However, the airline was not BWIA ("Bee-Wee") and the equipment was not an L10 or a long range L15. Please guess again!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Pan Am flew L-1011-500s on domestic routes in 1985. I remember Phil Brooks talking about taking a short haul PA L-1011 out of IND around that time; I think the intermediate stop between IND and JFK might have been DTW.
17. Pan Am operating an L15 is correct! Here's the sched....

PA 563: New York (JFK) 6:15p - 8:10p Detroit (DTW) 8:55p - 10:00p Indianapolis (IND)
Op: Daily
Equip: L15
Meal service: Dinner JFK-DTW

I believe PA 563 was the continuation of a flight from an international destination; however, if so, the domestic OAG does not list the originating city.

And now to the yard work on a hot Sunday afternoon. Thank goodness I've got several microbrews on ice (an IPA from California and a Porter from Maine)!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
2- Caravelle
16- thinking back to some recent questions about jet service in Colorado, how about Montrose (MTJ)?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:30 am

Also curious to know what other airlines operated the BAC One-Eleven 475
Not a lot. Only 6 were delivered to airlines, ... an all-cargo one for Tarom ... I believe all are long scrapped now except for that Tarom cargo door one, which has apparently been standing unused at Bucharest for the last 15 years and is still there. Maybe the Tarom leasing department are still hopeful "one day ...".
Seems to be still visible sat in the weeds here at Bucharest on Google Earth, the upper aircraft (the lower one being a One-Eleven 500).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@44.57.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:37 am

20. In the fall of 1985, this air carrier was operating nonstop wide body service between Caracas (CCS) and Port of Spain (POS) six days a week. Identify the airline and the aircraft.

20. An excellent guess! However, the airline was not BWIA ("Bee-Wee") and the equipment was not an L10 or a long range L15. Please guess again!
I do remember PanAm having A300 service from JFK to POS, which continued on to CCS, but am not sure if it existed in 1985. Let's give it a try.

If that's incorrect I'll go back to Viasa, which had some DC-10s that could have been used in CCS-POS service, although I can't imagine the load factor being very attractive.

Happy July 4th to all members of this forum! In trying to answer jlemon's question I recalled an "almost" July 4th flight, 7/5/94 MSY-IAH-MIA-POS, and then to test those of you who know arcane airport codes, I remember another one 7/5/69 MUX-LYP on a Fokker F27. Anyone know those without looking them up?

Last edited by miniliq; Jul 4, 2016 at 8:38 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:41 am

I remember another one 7/5/69 MUX-LYP on a Fokker F27. Anyone know those without looking them up?
Painted green ?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
2- Caravelle
16- thinking back to some recent questions about jet service in Colorado, how about Montrose (MTJ)?
2. Correct! Here are the scheds....

UA 402: Mobile (MOB) 7:15a - 8:00a Birmingham (BHM) 8:30a -12:38p New York Newark (EWR)
Equip: Caravelle Jet Mainliner
Class of service: F
Meal service: Breakfast MOB-BHM, BHM-EWR (breakfast served to BHM boarding passengers only)

UA 403: New York Newark (EWR) 7:05p - 7:30p Birmingham (BHM) 7:55a - 8:40a Mobile (MOB)
Equip: Caravelle Jet Mainliner
Class of service: F
Meal service: Dinner EWR-BHM

16. Correct! Service was operated on Saturdays only PHX-MTJ during ski season.

And Happy Fourth of July to One and All!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 4, 2016 at 9:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.