Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
29. Speaking of Air Canada, it's the spring of 1995 and you are in Toronto. You need to travel to Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island and have a choice of two airlines that can get you there nonstop. One is Air Canada. Identify the other air carrier and the jet equipment it was flying on the YYZ-YYG route at this time.
CP (Canadi<n Arlnes by now) 737-200?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Contrary to some belief, runway length is not intrinsically tied to a given aircraft type. The key aspect is how heavily loaded it is to get airborne/stop, and the key variable in the loading is the fuel on board. These are short hops of under an hour each and the 737, with appropriate light fuel loads for those sectors, will have a sprightly performance.!
I was a bit surprised given YPW has a runway of just over 1,000m. I guess if the destinations are no more than 120 km away, and the engines are revved up at runway end, there'll be no problem to takeoff.

I don't think I've flown into/out of an airport with such a short runway on a/c with more than, say 25 pax, non-STOL a/c.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
As one who has a unique appreciation for the time and effort that go into researching, composing and finally responding to a large batch of questions, let me just start by extending a big THANK YOU to jlemon for this excellent batch of questions. Well done, Sir! Nobody does them better!

Re. Question 8: BDL-LAS Service on United via ORD

I've provided most of the exotic aircraft possibilities now and I can't imagine a mundane 727 would have warranted much interest so I'm going to go with the last out of the ordinary (for this route) aircraft I can think of:

The Boeing 747

22. In the spring of 1986, the following marketing message appeared on this airline's timetable cover:

WE'RE FLYING THE WIDEST PLANE TO THE HIGHEST PLACE. INTRODUCING THE ONLY 747 SERVICE FROM NEW YORK TO DENVER. Name the air carrier.

I once drove out to Stapleton and parked alongside the east-west runway - next door to the old 92nd Aerodrome Restaurant - to watch a 747 take off enroute to New York. I thought it was earlier than 1986 but regardless - the airline was TWA.

23. It's a beautiful spring day in New Orleans in 1986. Your old sailing buddy from Santa Barbara has requested you check out a catamaran for sale and the boat is located at a marina in Fort Lauderdale. You find a one stop direct flight that fits your schedule departing MSY at 1:55pm and arriving FLL at 6:10pm. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying on and what is the location of the intermediate stop?

This sounds like Florida Express, in which case the aircraft would have been a BAC-111 routing through FE's hub at Orlando.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 5, 2016 at 2:33 pm
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:24 pm

# 19: Frontier, 737-200.

#22: PeoplExpress, after they purchased Frontier.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
27. This was still in the era of the AA hub at San Jose (SJC) ... Walnut Creek was certainly served through Concord (CCD) (although I didn't know until just now that there was any scheduled service there)

as for equipment, how about a Jetstream 31 and an MD-11

30. TriStar
27. American is correct! The American Eagle service between Buchanan Field in Concord (CCR) and SJC was actually operated by Wings West with Swearingen Metro III equipment. I believe this was back when AA was also attempting to operate MD-11 service nonstop SJC-NRT. BTW, CCR also had nonstop BAe 146 service to Los Angeles at one point, first by PSA and then by USAir.

30. TriStar (T3) is correct! The airline operated the BAe 146 on separate routings of LAX-EUG (daily), EUG-RNO (ex. Sat.) and RNO-EUG (ex. Sat.). The airplane then spent the night in Eugene before departing nonstop to LAX early the next morning on a daily basis.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 5, 2016 at 3:45 pm
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
I believe this was back when AA was also attempting to operate MD-11 service nonstop SJC-NRT. .
With the refuel stop in OAK IIRC?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Doesn't sound like a mainstream carrier for those items at that price, and there weren't many upstarts who could do a daily one-stop though to LA. But there may have been one. What about People Express from London Gatwick ? With an old 747-200 they picked up from Alitalia or Qantas. Intermediate stop would be Newark.

I think it was one of their flights, in the first week or so, that had a number of snags on arrival, Gatwick Handling (or whoever), doing their turnround, supplied plenty of labour and spares, came to about USD 20,000, well beyond their agreed credit. So no departure until the money was wired through. Which PE seemed to have no procedure for. An early lesson in the logistics of international flights.
24. People Express operating a 747 is correct! Here's the sched from a year earlier....

PE 1: London Gatwick (LGW) 10:10a - 12:55p New York Newark (EWR) 6:00p - 8:50p Los Angeles (LAX)
Op: Daily
Equip: 747
Premium Class fare, one way: $775 U.S.

Note the long layover time at Newark.....
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
CP (Canadi<n Arlnes by now) 737-200?
29. Nope, the air carrier was not CP and the equipment was not a B737-200. Please guess again!
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As one who has a unique appreciation for the time and effort that go into researching, composing and finally responding to a large batch of questions, let me just start by extending a big THANK YOU to jlemon for this excellent batch of questions. Well done, Sir! Nobody does them better!

Re. Question 8: BDL-LAS Service on United via ORD

I've provided most of the exotic aircraft possibilities now and I can't imagine a mundane 727 would have warranted much interest so I'm going to go with the last out of the ordinary (for this route) aircraft I can think of:

The Boeing 747

22. In the spring of 1986, the following marketing message appeared on this airline's timetable cover:

WE'RE FLYING THE WIDEST PLANE TO THE HIGHEST PLACE. INTRODUCING THE ONLY 747 SERVICE FROM NEW YORK TO DENVER. Name the air carrier.

I once drove out to Stapleton and parked alongside the east-west runway - next door to the old 92nd Aerodrome Restaurant - to watch a 747 take off enroute to New York. I thought it was earlier than 1986 but regardless - the airline was TWA.

23. It's a beautiful spring day in New Orleans in 1986. Your old sailing buddy from Santa Barbara has requested you check out a catamaran for sale and the boat is located at a marina in Fort Lauderdale. You find a one stop direct flight that fits your schedule departing MSY at 1:55pm and arriving FLL at 6:10pm. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying on and what is the location of the intermediate stop?

This sounds like Florida Express, in which case the aircraft would have been a BAC-111 routing through FE's hub at Orlando.
Thanks, Seat 2A!

8. Yep, United was operating a B747-122 on the route. Here's the sched....

UA 723: Hartford (BDL) 8:00a - 9:14a Chicago (ORD) 10:25a - 12:00n Las Vegas (LAS)
Equip: 747
Meal service: Breakfast BDL-ORD, Lunch ORD-LAS

BTW, TWA was also operating nonstop 747 service ORD-LAS at this time with TW 711 departing at 9:40am just ahead of UA 723.

22. However, this New York - Denver service was not operated by TWA.

23. Florida Express (ZO) is correct! Here's the sched....

ZO 706: New Orleans (MSY) 1:55p - 4:30p Orlando (MCO) 5:20p - 6:10p Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
Equip: BAC One-Eleven
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
# 19: Frontier, 737-200.

#22: PeoplExpress, after they purchased Frontier.
19. Correct! Here's the actual sched...

FL 444: San Diego (SAN) 10:50a - 11:27a Palm Springs (PSP) 11:47a - 2:44p Denver (DEN)
Equip: 73S
Meal service: Lunch PSP-DEN

BTW, Frontier was also the only airline operating nonstop service between PSP and DEN at this time.

22. And speaking of Frontier, PE is correct! I believe this 747 service was meant to link the PE hub in Newark with the FL hub in Denver as Frontier was mentioned with PEOPLExpress & FRONTIER appearing at the bottom of the timetable front cover.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
With the refuel stop in OAK IIRC?
Yep, I think so as I believe the AA MD-11 service was before both of the runways at SJC were extended to their present length of 11,000 feet....
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
25. It's a cold, crisp and clear day in early 1987 in Ottawa, the capital of Canada. You've been attending a government sponsored symposium which has almost concluded and need to catch a late afternoon flight to San Francisco. Now, of course, there is no nonstop or direct service from YOW to SFO; however, several airlines offer what you hope will be one easy connection from one flight to another with mainline jet equipment being operated on both flights. So you choose a nonstop flight departing Ottawa at 5:45pm that will get you to your connecting airport at 7:30pm. You'll then depart on your second flight at 9:25pm nonstop to San Francisco arriving in the City by The Bay at 12:16am. What airline and aircraft types will you be flying on and where will you make your connection? And here's a hint: both of your flights will be in first class on board narrow body equipment.
My first thought was YOW-YYZ-SFO on AC, but the 1:45 duration of the first flight is too long for YOW-YYZ, or even YOW-ORD. Not many non-stops out of YOW to other hubs -- but how about to another nation's capital? So I'll make a guess of YOW to IAD on CO with a DC9; IAD-SFO opens up a lot of possibilities, but I'll guess EA with a 727.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
25- other than the fact that EA never operated IAD-SFO, and that a 727 would have been hard pressed to make that long westbound nonstop, I think we're actually looking for a single carrier for the YOW-XXX-SFO trip

that said, I like where miniliq is going with CO over IAD: I know they had a 733 operating IAD<-->LAX around that time, so perhaps there was a similar trip to SFO in the schedules as well
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
26. In late 1989, there was only one airline offering nonstop jet service from Pensacola, Florida to both Orlando and Tampa. The same aircraft type was used on all flights. Name the air carrier and the equipment.
more recently (~2008) this was a mix of Delta Connection ERJ-145s and CRJ-200s, and US Airways Express Beech 1900s ... I don't ever recall DL DC9-30s (and certainly not 727-200s) on these routes, so let's venture a guess for USAir with ex-Piedmont Fokker F.28s
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
25. It's a cold, crisp and clear day in early 1987 in Ottawa, the capital of Canada. You've been attending a government sponsored symposium which has almost concluded and need to catch a late afternoon flight to San Francisco. Now, of course, there is no nonstop or direct service from YOW to SFO; however, several airlines offer what you hope will be one easy connection from one flight to another with mainline jet equipment being operated on both flights. So you choose a nonstop flight departing Ottawa at 5:45pm that will get you to your connecting airport at 7:30pm. You'll then depart on your second flight at 9:25pm nonstop to San Francisco arriving in the City by The Bay at 12:16am. What airline and aircraft types will you be flying on and where will you make your connection? And here's a hint: both of your flights will be in first class on board narrow body equipment.

The 9:25pm to 12:16am flight time strongly suggests a westbound transcon, as opposed to routing through YYZ or YVR. I agree with mini on Continental through Dulles, but I think we stick with Continental all the way through. As such, I'm thinking the YOW-IAD leg will be flown with a DC-9, probably a -30. As for the transcon leg, let's go with a 757-200.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.