Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:04 am

34. I'm pretty sure AC's red tailed 727s were gone by 1996, but I think Northwest's red tailed 727s still flew there.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
25- other than the fact that EA never operated IAD-SFO, and that a 727 would have been hard pressed to make that long westbound nonstop, I think we're actually looking for a single carrier for the YOW-XXX-SFO trip

that said, I like where miniliq is going with CO over IAD: I know they had a 733 operating IAD<-->LAX around that time, so perhaps there was a similar trip to SFO in the schedules as well
I see your point on the unlikely use of a 727 non-stop; and I did some checking and found that Eastern's 727 direct service to SFO (with intermediate stops) was from National, not Dulles.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I was a bit surprised given YPW has a runway of just over 1,000m. I guess if the destinations are no more than 120 km away, and the engines are revved up at runway end, there'll be no problem to takeoff.

I don't think I've flown into/out of an airport with such a short runway on a/c with more than, say 25 pax, non-STOL a/c.
There are a few airports out there with short runways which have had jet service operated with mainline aircraft in the past or still do.....

One example in the U.S. is Unalaska Airport (DUT) serving Dutch Harbor, Alaska which has a runway length of 4,100 feet. Alaska Airlines and MarkAir both operated Boeing 737-200 combi service into Dutch in the past from ANC as did Reeve Aleutian with Lockheed L-188 Electra combi aircraft. Current Alaska Air code share service DUT-ANC is operated by PenAir with the Saab 2000.

Key West (EYW) has a rather short runway as well at 4,801 feet. The airfield has seen 727 service in the past (NA and EA) as well as 73S service (Air Florida). AirTran was operating B737-700 service into Key West which was continued for awhile by Southwest which then ceased serving EYW. I believe Delta still serves Key West with the B737-700.

Looking way south, Santos Dumont Airport (SDU) serving Rio has a 4,341 foot runway and I believe this airfield continues to receive service operated with mainline equipment.

And looking way east (and within hailing distance of our good friend WHBM), there's London City (LCY) with a 4,948 foot runway (used to be shorter before it was extended). I believe the largest aircraft operating into LCY at the present time is the A318 operated by BA with westbound service to JFK via a stop at Shannon and nonstop service on the eastbound return.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 6, 2016 at 12:46 pm
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: BA
25. It's a cold, crisp and clear day in early 1987 in Ottawa, the capital of Canada. You've been attending a government sponsored symposium which has almost concluded and need to catch a late afternoon flight to San Francisco.
I'm going to go for a different route to the US east coast, through Vancouver. Now I seem to recall that Canadian Pacific, from back in regulated days, were allowed (even before Air Canada) an Ottawa to Vancouver nonstop, that seems to fit 1745/1930 with 3 hours clock change, and that they used a 727 on it. CP had also long had the Vancouver to San Francisco route, 2125/0015, under 3 hours, sounds plausible for that as well. More likely a 737 on that leg.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
there's London City (LCY) with a 4,948 foot runway (used to be shorter before it was extended). I believe the largest aircraft operating into LCY at the present time is the A318 operated by BA with westbound service to JFK via a stop at Shannon and nonstop service on the eastbound return.
The largest aircraft at LCY is the Embraer 190, it's fuselage length is longer than the A318, although narrower, and that is significant in the tight manoeuvring space there. It also has 99 seats whereas the A318 has just 32 C-class seats. One aspect of the notably stubby A318 however is that it is taller than the Embraer, or even than the A319/320/321. Because the fuselage is much shorter, there is not so much lever action by the rudder on the aircraft, so the A318 tailfin had to be extended upwards to provide the same effect (jrl can probably explain this a little more lucidly).

Even the Dash 8-Q400s there are longer than the A318.

We should be getting the new Bombardier C series soon, operated by Swiss, which will then be the largest. I understand the steep approach trials will start soon, the deliveries to Swiss have started. Meanwhile Cityjet have bought the Sukhoi Superjet to replace their longstanding BAe 146/RJ, the first two of those are delivered so they are coming as well. I wonder who will start the tests first. By the way, the A318 there doing the first hop to Shannon quite often lifts off from less than half the runway length, and the early morning arrivals from JFK pull up in even less.

Oh, and therefore a Bonus Question, relevant to this thread. What was the largest aircraft ever to land at London City ?

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 6, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
My first thought was YOW-YYZ-SFO on AC, but the 1:45 duration of the first flight is too long for YOW-YYZ, or even YOW-ORD. Not many non-stops out of YOW to other hubs -- but how about to another nation's capital? So I'll make a guess of YOW to IAD on CO with a DC9; IAD-SFO opens up a lot of possibilities, but I'll guess EA with a 727.
25. Continental operating a DC-9-30 from Ottawa to Washington Dulles is correct. CO was actually operating a hub at IAD at the time (more on that later).

However, we are looking for single airline service here via connection (my apologies if I did not make this clear), so Eastern with a 727 is incorrect.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

25- other than the fact that EA never operated IAD-SFO, and that a 727 would have been hard pressed to make that long westbound nonstop, I think we're actually looking for a single carrier for the YOW-XXX-SFO trip

that said, I like where miniliq is going with CO over IAD: I know they had a 733 operating IAD<-->LAX around that time, so perhaps there was a similar trip to SFO in the schedules as well
25. Continental operating a B737-300 nonstop from Washington Dulles to San Francisco is correct!

Here's the trip....

CO 793: Ottawa (YOW) 5:45p - 7:30p Washington Dulles (IAD)
Op: Daily
Equip: DC-9-30

Connecting to....

CO 899: Washington Dulles (IAD) 9:25p - 12:16a San Francisco (SFO)
Equip: B737-300

As previously mentioned, CO was operating a hub at IAD at this time with nonstop mainline jet service to the following destinations in addition to SFO and YOW:

* BDL
* BOS
* CHS
* CLE
* DEN
* DTW
* EWR
* FLL
* HOU
* HPN
* IAH
* ISP
* JAX
* JFK
* LAX
* LGA
* MCO
* MIA
* MSY
* PBI
* PHL
* PHX
* RDU
* SRQ
* TPA
* TYS
* YUL

LAS, SAN, SJC and SNA were served on a one stop direct basis.

Equipment operated into Dulles at this time by Continental included the B727-200, B737-200 and MD-80 although a majority of the flights were operated with the DC-9-30 and B737-300.

There was also commuter CO code share service as well from IAD to a number of destinations operated by Colgan Air with such turboprop types as the Beechcraft 99 and 1900 as well as the Short 330.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

more recently (~2008) this was a mix of Delta Connection ERJ-145s and CRJ-200s, and US Airways Express Beech 1900s ... I don't ever recall DL DC9-30s (and certainly not 727-200s) on these routes, so let's venture a guess for USAir with ex-Piedmont Fokker F.28s
26. Yep, it was USAir with nonstop Fellowship service from Pensacola to Orlando (MCO) and Tampa (TPA) as well as Charlotte (CLT).
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
34. I'm pretty sure AC's red tailed 727s were gone by 1996, but I think Northwest's red tailed 727s still flew there.
34. Northwest was operating five daily nonstops from Winnipeg to Minneapolis/St. Paul at this time....all with DC-9-30 equipment.

Please guess again!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I'm going to go for a different route to the US east coast, through Vancouver. Now I seem to recall that Canadian Pacific, from back in regulated days, were allowed (even before Air Canada) an Ottawa to Vancouver nonstop, that seems to fit 1745/1930 with 3 hours clock change, and that they used a 727 on it. CP had also long had the Vancouver to San Francisco route, 2125/0015, under 3 hours, sounds plausible for that as well. More likely a 737 on that leg.
Well, of course I cannot find any CP schedules from 1987....

However, I do see that Air Canada was operating a B727-200 back in 1985 six days a week nonstop from Ottawa to Vancouver. AC 139 departed from YOW at 7:35pm and arrived in YVR by 9:38pm. Probably too late for a connection to SFO.....

And back in 1970 there was this CP Air flight....

CP 71: YUL 07:00 - 07:32 YOW 07:50 - 08:43 YYZ 09:15 - 10:36 YWG 11:00 (CDT) - 10:53 (MST) YYC 11:15 - 12:28 (PDT) YVR 14:00 - 16:00 SFO
Equip: B737-200
Meal services: Continental breakfast YOW-YYZ, full Breakfast YYZ-YWG, Lunch YYC-YVR

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 6, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
28. In 1992, Air Canada was operating Boeing 747-133 aircraft configured with two classes of service. What was the name given by AC to each class of service? Also identify the number of seats in each class of service.
I believe AC had dropped F by this time. The C class service would have been called Connaisseur before the name was sold to UA and then BC was called Executive First.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I believe AC had dropped F by this time. The C class service would have been called Connaisseur before the name was sold to UA and then BC was called Executive First.
Close....but no cigar.

Care to guess what Y was called as well as the number of seats in each class of service?

Please note we are looking for a complete answer here. @:-)

And here's a hint: Air Canada was still operating three class service on several of their other aircraft types at this time. However, their B747-133 aircraft were configured with two classes of service.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 7, 2016 at 3:32 pm Reason: hint
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

s

Originally Posted by jlemon

The 1960's.....

4. It's a beautiful afternoon in the summer of 1968 in Monterey, California. You are comfortably seated on board your buddy's catamaran moored in the local marina enjoying a glass of fine wine as he has just arrived following a sail trip from Santa Barbara. And then he says: "Hey, I've got a wild idea! Let's fly to Las Vegas tonight and have some fun! I mean, you're Mr. Airline Guy, right? Can you make this happen?" Of course you can....and you just happen to know there is a direct evening flight from MRY to LAS which makes one stop en route departing at 8:15pm and arriving at 10:06pm. You call the airline and reservations are confirmed. So which airline and aircraft type will you and your buddy be flying on and where will you be making that one stop en route from Monterey to Vegas? ANSWERED - Air West operating a B727-100 MRY-LAX-LAS.

The 1970's.....

6. In the summer of 1972, this airline was operating direct service from Los Angeles to Little Rock. Three stops were made en route with the flight departing LAX at 2:00pm and arriving LIT at 9:18pm. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all three intermediate stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED - Texas International operating a DC-9 with a routing of LAX-ABQ-DAL-HOT-LIT.

10. In the summer of 1979 this air carrier was operating a morning flight six days a week from Montreal to Winnipeg with four stops being made en route. The flight departed YUL at 7:05am and arrived in YWG at 12:20pm. Name the airline, the equipment and all four intermediate stops in order. Mostly answered. Nordair operating a Boeing 737-200 with a routing of YUL-_____-YAM-YQT-YHD-YWG. Still looking for one of the stops.

12. In the fall of 1979, two airlines were operating nonstop service from Las Vegas to Sacramento, each with one daily flight. Name both air carriers and the respective aircraft types they operated on the LAS-SMF route. ANSWERED - Hughes Airwest operating a DC-9-30 and Braniff International flying a DC-8.

The 1980's.....

13. If you wanted to fly on board a Convair 580, de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 or Fokker F27 nonstop from Bakersfield (BFL) to Los Angeles (LAX) in the spring of 1981, what airlines would you call?
Hint: We are looking for two air carriers here. One operated two of these turboprop types while the other operated the third type.
Still looking for several answers with regard to the above quiz items.....and as you can see, I've supplied some hints here and there.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 9, 2016 at 1:02 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
4. It's a beautiful afternoon in the summer of 1968 in Monterey, California. You are comfortably seated on board your buddy's catamaran moored in the local marina enjoying a glass of fine wine as he has just arrived following a sail trip from Santa Barbara. And then he says: "Hey, I've got a wild idea! Let's fly to Las Vegas tonight and have some fun! I mean, you're Mr. Airline Guy, right? Can you make this happen?" Of course you can....and you just happen to know there is a direct evening flight from MRY to LAS which makes one stop en route departing at 8:15pm and arriving at 10:06pm. You call the airline and reservations are confirmed. So which airline and aircraft type will you and your buddy be flying on and where will you be making that one stop en route from Monterey to Vegas?
Hint: aircraft was a jet.

This sure sounds like Air West country. Back in '75 I flew an RW D9S on a SLC-PDX-LMT-SMF-SFO-MRY-LAX routing. The arrival and departure times don't appear to allow enough time to route through LAX, so it must be somewhere in between. Fresno's as good a guess as any. So there you have it - Air West DC-9-14 via Fresno.

6. In the summer of 1972, this airline was operating direct service from Los Angeles to Little Rock. Three stops were made en route with the flight departing LAX at 2:00pm and arriving LIT at 9:18pm. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all three intermediate stops in the order in which they were made. Mostly answered. Texas International operating a DC-9 with a routing of LAX-ABQ-DAL-______-LIT. Still looking for one of the stops.

There's not too many options between DFW and LIT. Lets go with what seems obvious - Texarkana.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 8, 2016 at 9:45 am
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4. It's a beautiful afternoon in the summer of 1968 in Monterey, California. You are comfortably seated on board your buddy's catamaran moored in the local marina enjoying a glass of fine wine as he has just arrived following a sail trip from Santa Barbara. And then he says: "Hey, I've got a wild idea! Let's fly to Las Vegas tonight and have some fun! I mean, you're Mr. Airline Guy, right? Can you make this happen?" Of course you can....and you just happen to know there is a direct evening flight from MRY to LAS which makes one stop en route departing at 8:15pm and arriving at 10:06pm. You call the airline and reservations are confirmed. So which airline and aircraft type will you and your buddy be flying on and where will you be making that one stop en route from Monterey to Vegas?
Hint: aircraft was a jet.

This sure sounds like Air West country. Back in '75 I flew an RW D9S on a SLC-PDX-LMT-SMF-SFO-MRY-LAX routing. The arrival and departure times don't appear to allow enough time to route through LAX, so it must be somewhere in between. Fresno's as good a guess as any. So there you have it -

Air West DC-9-14 via Fresno.

6. In the summer of 1972, this airline was operating direct service from Los Angeles to Little Rock. Three stops were made en route with the flight departing LAX at 2:00pm and arriving LIT at 9:18pm. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all three intermediate stops in the order in which they were made. Mostly answered. Texas International operating a DC-9 with a routing of LAX-ABQ-DAL-______-LIT. Still looking for one of the stops.

There's not too many options between DFW and LIT. Lets go with what seems obvious - Texarkana.
4. Air West is correct. However, the equipment was not a DC-9-14 and the intermediate stop was not made in Fresno (FAT). Please guess again!

6. JoeDTW had previously guessed Texarkana (TXK). However, this flight did not stop in TXK nor did it stop in Shreveport (SHV).

So here's a hint: Texas International (TI) was the only airline ever to operate jet service into the destination in question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.