Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And as we embark on the long Fourth of July holiday weekend here in the U.S., let's return to the OTAQ&D with a new set of quiz items from yours truly.

As always, please limit your response to two or three items at a time so that all may participate.

The 1960's.....

1. It's the early spring of 1965 and you are in Chile visiting friends from California who have moved to this country in order to start a winery in the Aconcagua Valley. A message is delivered and a question has been asked: would it be possible for you to travel to Prague, Czechoslovakia for a weekend meeting? Well, of course....if first class is available! Much to your surprise, you discover there is a direct flight from Santiago de Chile to Prague departing every Thursday morning and arriving in Europe on Friday afternoon. Seven en route stops are made by this flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you'll be flying on in the front cabin as well as all seven intermediate stops in the order in which they will be made between Santiago and Prague. ANSWERED

2. It's the summer of 1965 and you are back in the U.S. engaged in project work in Birmingham, Alabama. You need to attend a meeting in Mobile down by the Gulf of Mexico. Now, you could drive the relatively short distance, of course....but why drive when you can fly? You find there are two airlines operating service from BHM to MOB. Airline #1 operates four flights a day with three nonstops plus a onestop with the same aircraft type being utilized on all flights. Airline #2 operates one daily flight. Name both air carriers as well as the respective equipment they operated on the route. ANSWERED - Eastern operating Electra service and United operating a Caravelle with one daily flight.

3. Now it's the summer of 1965 and you are in Seattle. You need to travel to Prince Rupert, B.C. for a lunch meeting; however, you already know there is no nonstop or direct service from SEA to YPR. So you'll have to fly on two different airlines and most likely connect in Vancouver. But how to get from Seattle to Prince Rupert in the most expedient manner? You discover there is a flight from SEA departing at 5:30am to YVR that will enable a quick (and legal) connection to your second flight from YVR to YPR which will make one intermediate stop en route before arriving in Prince Rupert at 10:40am. You also note you'll be served a snack between SEA and YPR as well as breakfast between YVR and YPR. So with all this in mind, identify both of the air carriers, the respective aircraft types and the intermediate stop between Vancouver and Prince Rupert. ANSWERED

4. It's a beautiful afternoon in the summer of 1968 in Monterey, California. You are comfortably seated on board your buddy's catamaran moored in the local marina enjoying a glass of fine wine as he has just arrived following a sail trip from Santa Barbara. And then he says: "Hey, I've got a wild idea! Let's fly to Las Vegas tonight and have some fun! I mean, you're Mr. Airline Guy, right? Can you make this happen?" Of course you can....and you just happen to know there is a direct evening flight from MRY to LAS which makes one stop en route departing at 8:15pm and arriving at 10:06pm. You call the airline and reservations are confirmed. So which airline and aircraft type will you and your buddy be flying on and where will you be making that one stop en route from Monterey to Vegas? ANSWERED

5. In the spring of 1969, this airline was operating direct, no change of plane service from Caracas, Venezuela to San Diego, California twice a week. Three intermediate stops were made en route. Name the airline and the aircraft type it operated on the service and also identify all three stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED

The 1970's.....

6. In the summer of 1972, this airline was operating direct service from Los Angeles to Little Rock. Three stops were made en route with the flight departing LAX at 2:00pm and arriving LIT at 9:18pm. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all three intermediate stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED - Texas International operating a DC-9 with a routing LAX-ABQ-DAL-HOT-LIT.

7. Fill in the blank concerning this 1974 airline print advertisement:

Sure, swift, simple. Take the easy way to Europe, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Latin America or almost anywhere in the world. (airline in question) / PAN AM - We have a lot more going for you. ANSWERED

8. It's the spring of 1974 and you are in Hartford where you've just completed a project. Now it's time to have some fun....so head west, young man, in first class! You won quite a bit of money playing poker last time you were in Las Vegas so you decide to try your luck again. There are no nonstop flights at this time from BDL to LAS. However, a one stop service catches your eye and you book a seat in the front cabin. You'll depart at 8:00am and arrive at 12 noon with breakfast and lunch being served en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the en route stop. ANSWERED

9. Now it's the fall of 1977 and you are in Denver. You need to travel to Cincinnati for a dinner meeting. So how about a three stop flight which departs DEN at 9:15am, arrives in CVG at 4:45pm and operates six days a week? Identify the air carrier, the aircraft and all three stops in the order in which they will be made. ANSWERED

10. In the summer of 1979 this air carrier was operating a morning flight six days a week from Montreal to Winnipeg with four stops being made en route. The flight departed YUL at 7:05am and arrived in YWG at 12:20pm. Name the airline, the equipment and all four intermediate stops in order. Mostly answered. Nordair operating a Boeing 737-200 with a routing of YUL-_____-YAM-YQT-YHD-YWG. Still looking for one of the stops.

11. In the fall of 1979, this commuter air carrier had big plans. It was already running a small hub operation at an airport not too far from Chicago flying Grumman Gulfstream I propjets with nonstop service to seven destinations. The next step? Introduce nonstop DC9-10 service from its hub to New York City. However, before it could initiate new DC9 service, the carrier lost its operating certificate. Identify the airline and the location of its hub. ANSWERED

12. Also in the fall of 1979, two airlines were operating nonstop service from Las Vegas to Sacramento, each with one daily flight. Name both air carriers and the respective aircraft types they operated on the LAS-SMF route. ANSWERED

The 1980's.....

13. If you wanted to fly on board a Convair 580, de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 or Fokker F27 nonstop from Bakersfield (BFL) to Los Angeles (LAX) in the spring of 1981, what airlines would you call?

14. It's the summer of 1983 and you are in Suva, Fiji where you've just completed a sailing trip. Now it's time to get back to work and your presence is requested in Auckland, New Zealand for a meeting. One airline flies from Suva to Auckland with a departure every day seven days a week. However, four days a week an en route stop is made while the service is nonstop on the other three days. You elect to travel on the Monday flight which makes one stop. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the en route stop. ANSWERED

15. Also in the summer of 1983, only one airline was operating jet service between Monterey (MRY) and San Francisco (SFO). Name the air carrier and the aircraft type it flew on the route. ANSWERED

Coming up this weekend...more quiz items from the 1980's and also from the 1990's.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 10, 2016 at 7:39 am Reason: answer updates
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:08 am

Great questions. Here are my guesses:

2. Southern 4x with DC-3s and UA 1x with a Viscount. I'll guess MGM as the enroute stop for SO.

5. I think DL was the only airline serving CCS and SAN. I'll guess a DL DC-8 via MSY, DAL, and LAX.

9. DL had just been awarded authority to serve DEN, on DEN-ATL and DEN-TUL-ATL flights, but I don't think any of these flights would have backtracked to CVG. I'll look further north, to the land of the Northliners, and go with an NC DC-9 routed DEN-MSP-MKE-DAY-CVG.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
...6. In the summer of 1972, this airline was operating direct service from Los Angeles to Little Rock. Three stops were made en route with the flight departing LAX at 2:00pm and arriving LIT at 9:18pm. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all three intermediate stops in the order in which they were made.
pretty sure American and Delta are only two choices here: guess #1 is a DL 72S via San Diego, Dallas, and Shreveport

15. Also in the summer of 1983, only one airline was operating jet service between Monterey (MRY) and San Francisco (SFO). Name the air carrier and the aircraft type it flew on the route.
well, I flew this in the fall of 1983 on a United Airlines 737-200, but that was a diversion from LAS-SFO due to weather (ops reportedly chose to fuel the outbound SFO-LAS for the round trip ... the rain and fog arrived earlier than expected)

if UA didn't actually operate this as a revenue route, it might have been Pacific Express with a BAC 1-11
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Great questions. Here are my guesses:

2. Southern 4x with DC-3s and UA 1x with a Viscount. I'll guess MGM as the enroute stop for SO.

5. I think DL was the only airline serving CCS and SAN. I'll guess a DL DC-8 via MSY, DAL, and LAX.

9. DL had just been awarded authority to serve DEN, on DEN-ATL and DEN-TUL-ATL flights, but I don't think any of these flights would have backtracked to CVG. I'll look further north, to the land of the Northliners, and go with an NC DC-9 routed DEN-MSP-MKE-DAY-CVG.
2. Southern is incorrect. And the aircraft type was not the DC-3.

United is correct. However, the aircraft was not a Viscount.

5. First of all, I had the year wrong on this one. It was actually 1969. Delta operating a DC-8 is correct. And you've got two of the three stops correct. But which one is incorrect? Please guess again!

9. North Central operating a DC9-30 DEN-MSP-MKE-DAY-CVG is correct!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 2, 2016 at 9:45 am Reason: correction on year of DL service
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
6. pretty sure American and Delta are only two choices here: guess #1 is a DL 72S via San Diego, Dallas, and Shreveport

15. well, I flew this in the fall of 1983 on a United Airlines 737-200, but that was a diversion from LAS-SFO due to weather (ops reportedly chose to fuel the outbound SFO-LAS for the round trip ... the rain and fog arrived earlier than expected)

if UA didn't actually operate this as a revenue route, it might have been Pacific Express with a BAC 1-11
6. AA and DL both are incorrect. And the aircraft type we are looking for is not a B727-200. However, you have guessed one of the stops correctly. But which one? Please guess again!

15. United operated MRY-SFO service for many years with such aircraft as the 727, 72S, 73S, 733, 757 and A320. However, UA was not serving this route at this time nor was there any UA Express service yet.

WestAir (OE) was still operating independently with Twin Otter MRY-SFO service. Wings West (RM) was still flying independently as well with Beechcraft 99 and Swearingen Metro III service on the route. And SBA-based Pacific Coast Airlines (ID, formerly Apollo Airways) was operating Handley Page Jetstream service MRY-SFO.

So what airline was operating MRY-SFO jet service? Your guess is correct! It was indeed Pacific Express (VB)
with three flights a day Monday through Saturday and two flights on Sundays, all operated with the BAC One-Eleven.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 2, 2016 at 9:47 am
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
14. It's the summer of 1983 and you are in Suva, Fiji where you've just completed a sailing trip. Now it's time to get back to work and your presence is requested in Auckland, New Zealand for a meeting. One airline flies from Suva to Auckland with a departure every day seven days a week. However, four days a week an en route stop is made while the service is nonstop on the other three days. You elect to travel on the Monday flight which makes one stop. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the en route stop.

Let's go with Air Pacific operating a 737-200 via Nadi
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
14. It's the summer of 1983 and you are in Suva, Fiji where you've just completed a sailing trip. Now it's time to get back to work and your presence is requested in Auckland, New Zealand for a meeting. One airline flies from Suva to Auckland with a departure every day seven days a week. However, four days a week an en route stop is made while the service is nonstop on the other three days. You elect to travel on the Monday flight which makes one stop. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the en route stop.

14. Air Pacific (FJ) is correct as is the stop at Nadi. However, the equipment was not a B737-200. Please guess again!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:52 am

2. Southern is incorrect. And the aircraft type was not the DC-3.

United is correct. However, the aircraft was not a Viscount.

5. First of all, I had the year wrong on this one. It was actually 1969. Delta operating a DC-8 is correct. And you've got two of the three stops correct. But which one is incorrect? Please guess again!
The main aircraft UA used on their ex-Capital routes in the southeast were Viscounts, Caravelles, and DC-6Bs. I can't see UA using a Caravelle between BHM and MOB, so I'll guess a DC-6B.

My next guess for CCS-SAN is CCS-MBJ-MSY-LAX-SAN.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:55 am

The 1970's.....

6. In the summer of 1972, this airline was operating direct service from Los Angeles to Little Rock. Three stops were made en route with the flight departing LAX at 2:00pm and arriving LIT at 9:18pm. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all three intermediate stops in the order in which they were made.

7. Fill in the blank concerning this 1974 airline print advertisement:

Sure, swift, simple. Take the easy way to Europe, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Latin America or almost anywhere in the world. (airline in question) / PAN AM - We have a lot more going for you.
6. My guess is a Texas International DC-9 "Pamper Jet", LAX-ABQ-DAL-TXK-LIT.

7. This seems like the sort of ad Allegheny would have run when they had their partnership with Pan Am.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The main aircraft UA used on their ex-Capital routes in the southeast were Viscounts, Caravelles, and DC-6Bs. I can't see UA using a Caravelle between BHM and MOB, so I'll guess a DC-6B.

My next guess for CCS-SAN is CCS-MBJ-MSY-LAX-SAN.
2. Nope, aircraft was not a DC-6B. Please guess again!

5. Correct! Here's the westbound sched....

DL 855: Caracas (CCS) 7:25a - 8:18a Montego Bay (MBJ) 8:51a - 11:24a New Orleans (MSY) 12:35p - 2:04p Los Angeles (LAX) 2:44p - 3:18p San Diego (SAN)
Op: Sundays and Wednesdays only
Equip: DC-8 (D8F in the timetable denoting a turbofan powered aircraft)
Meal service: Breakfast CCS-MBJ, Brunch MBJ-MSY, Lunch MSY-LAX with Royal Service in first class
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6. My guess is a Texas International DC-9 "Pamper Jet", LAX-ABQ-DAL-TXK-LIT.

7. This seems like the sort of ad Allegheny would have run when they had their partnership with Pan Am.
6. Texas International (TI) with DC-9 service is correct! However, you've got one of the stops wrong so please guess again!

7. Correct! The ad went on to state that AL and PA shared a terminal at JFK.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA
1. It's the early spring of 1965 and you are in Chile visiting friends from California who have moved to this country in order to start a winery in the Aconcagua Valley. A message is delivered and a question has been asked: would it be possible for you to travel to Prague, Czechoslovakia for a weekend meeting? Well, of course....if first class is available! Much to your surprise, you discover there is a direct flight from Santiago de Chile to Prague departing every Thursday morning and arriving in Europe on Friday afternoon. Seven en route stops are made by this flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you'll be flying on in the front cabin as well as all seven intermediate stops in the order in which they will be made between Santiago and Prague.
I seem to recall noticing this one at some time in the past, and that the carrier was, of all companies, SAS, with (even more extraordinarily since they never did a proper order for them) a Convair 990 Coronado leased long-term from Swissair and painted up in SAS colours.

Most European carriers from Santiago stopped at Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Sao Paolo and Rio. I think SAS would also then stop at Lisbon, Zurich (for the Swissair Coronado technicians to have a quick look), Prague, and finally Copenhagen. I need another stop. Rio to Lisbon is a bit of a haul, lets go for Dakar.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:00 pm

14. Air Pacific (FJ) is correct as is the stop at Nadi. However, the equipment was not a B737-200. Please guess again!
I believe this was on a BAC One-Eleven 475 "hot rod". Not only was it, I believe, the only jet Air Pacific had at the time, but it was the only jet around then capable of doing such a nonstop trip off the little runway at the Fijian capital of Suva.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I believe this was on a BAC One-Eleven 475 "hot rod". Not only was it, I believe, the only jet Air Pacific had at the time, but it was the only jet around then capable of doing such a nonstop trip off the little runway at the Fijian capital of Suva.
14. Well, I'm not sure with regard to the specific BAC One-Eleven model operated by Air Pacific (the OAG does not specify) but you are correct, sir!

Besides nonstop service from Nadi and Suva, Air Pacific was also operating nonstop flights with the BAC One-Eleven from Tongatapu on Tonga Island to Auckland at this time in competition with Air New Zealand and Polynesian Airlines, both of which were operating Boeing 737-200 equipment on the route.

Also curious to know what other airlines operated the BAC One-Eleven 475...... @:-)
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:38 pm

Also curious to know what other airlines operated the BAC One-Eleven 475
Not a lot. Only 6 were delivered to airlines, although a handful more to air forces or as bizjets. Faucett in Peru took two, Air Malawi in Africa had one, a pair for Air Pacific, and an all-cargo one for Tarom (yes, an all-cargo "hot-rod" version. Hmmm ....). Production spanned 13 years. The 475 was the most powerful version of the stretched Super One_Eleven, with it's aerodynamic improvements as well, but on the original length short fuselage. I believe all are long scrapped now except for that Tarom cargo door one, which has apparently been standing unused at Bucharest for the last 15 years and is still there. Maybe the Tarom leasing department are still hopeful "one day ...".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.