Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
5. Identify which airline you’d call if you wanted to fly aboard a Fokker 100 between Toronto and Montreal. (HINT: This is not a codeshare with AC or CP)
I think that would have been Intair.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1990

1. If you wanted to fly aboard a DC-8 Super 60 series between Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (JFK), this airline offers a single daily flight.

2. Nonstop flights between Washington Dulles (IAD) and Los Angeles (LAX) are dominated by the “Big Three” domestic airlines (AA, TW, UA) however one other airline offers a single daily nonstop on the route. Identify that airline and the aircraft it flies from IAD to LAX.

5. Identify which airline you’d call if you wanted to fly aboard a Fokker 100 between Toronto and Montreal. (HINT: This is not a codeshare with AC or CP)
It's an absolutely beautiful Sunday afternoon here with perfect weather for yard work: azure skies, low humidity, light winds, temp around 75 F and brilliant sunshine with not a cloud in the sky (not even a contrail).

However, if you're on the plane tomorrow....well, then.....OTAQ&D duty calls!

1. Sounds like MGM Grand Air. Aircraft was probably a DC-8-62.

2. Perhaps this was Pan Am operating an A310.

5. I believe this was Intair using the old "ND" Nordair two letter code.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by kochleffel
4. Alaska Airlines flew its 737-200 Combis nonstop into Seattle from three Alaska locations. Identify those three airports.

Per jrl767:Ketchikan (KTN) and Juneau (JNU) seem to be pretty obvious as they are the start and end points of the Inside Passage milk run; I suspect the third was Anchorage (ANC) but Sitka (SIT) is also a candidate.

As per the 1990 schedule I referenced, Ketchikan and Sitka are correct. Anchorage is not. Still looking for one more...

Per kochleffel: Strictly a guess, I'll try Fairbanks

Right on! Fairbanks it is!

I think that would have been Intair.

I think you're correct! ^^
Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
1. If you wanted to fly aboard a DC-8 Super 60 series between Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (JFK), this airline offers a single daily flight.

Sounds like MGM Grand Air. Aircraft was probably a DC-8-62.

Probably? I don't think MGM ever flew the -61 or -63, though I would like to have seen one of those in their livery. Correct, by the way!

Additionally, I stand corrected - MG offered two almost daily flights. Here's the skeds:

MG 200 LAX-JFK 900a - 512p D8S B Daily

MG 600 LAX-JFK 330p - 1135p D8S D X6

2. Nonstop flights between Washington Dulles (IAD) and Los Angeles (LAX) are dominated by the “Big Three” domestic airlines (AA, TW, UA) however one other airline offers a single daily nonstop on the route. Identify that airline and the aircraft it flies from IAD to LAX.

Perhaps this was Pan Am operating an A310.

It was. Here's the schedule:

PA 141 IAD-LAX 555p - 846p A310 D Daily

Alas, you were off by five minutes! kochleffel beat you to it.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 3, 2016 at 2:16 pm
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Here are seven questions for you all. Now y'all better answer 'em quick as I'm on a plane outta here tomorrow!

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1990

3. Over the years, Western Airlines and World Airways have provided nonstop service between Oakland (OAK) and Honolulu (HNL). In 1990 a different airline has stepped up to offer a single daily flight between these two cities. Identify that airline and the aircraft it flies on this route.
Best guess is America West (HP) with one of the 747's they leased (perhaps anticipating approval of a route to SYD.)

6. Four different airlines operate 747s into Mexico City from either Canada or the United States. Identify each of the four airlines and the U.S. or Canadian airports those flights depart from.
No US carriers here -- all continuing flights from non-US origins. AF from IAH, JL from YVR, IB from YUL, and LH from DFW.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, speaking of the DC-8-62, here's a bonus quiz item....

Air Canada, Delta and United all converted their stretched Super DC-8 series 60 aircraft to super 70 series aircraft via in-house programs conducted by their respective maintenance departments. The DL and UA aircraft were DC-8-71s while the AC aircraft were DC-8-73s with the primary change being a conversion to high bypass engines thus producing greater range, a lower noise footprint and reduced emissions.

There was also a conversion program for the shorter fuselage DC-8-62 to the DC-8-72. And at present, there is one operator of the DC-8-72 in the U.S. Identify this operator and for bonus points, also name the European airline that originally flew this aircraft as a DC-8-62.

And welcome back miniliq! Hopefully, all is well with you and the family in the Crescent City!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Well, speaking of the DC-8-62, here's a bonus quiz item....

Air Canada, Delta and United all converted their stretched Super DC-8 series 60 aircraft to super 70 series aircraft via in-house programs conducted by their respective maintenance departments. The DL and UA aircraft were DC-8-71s while the AC aircraft were DC-8-73s with the primary change being a conversion to high bypass engines thus producing greater range, a lower noise footprint and reduced emissions.

There was also a conversion program for the shorter fuselage DC-8-62 to the DC-8-72. And at present, there is one operator of the DC-8-72 in the U.S. Identify this operator and for bonus points, also name the European airline that originally flew this aircraft as a DC-8-62.

And welcome back miniliq! Hopefully, all is well with you and the family in the Crescent City!
Last things first -- thanks for the welcome -- I'm happy to see this thread is still alive and well -- I thought y'all would have run out of questions by now, but that doesn't seem likely.

Because of a variety of circumstances (nothing earth shattering) that I won't bore you with, I've been a flightless bird for the past 18 months, with my UA p1k status shrinking to gold (thank goodness for lifetime miles), and I consequently put Flyertalk on the back burner. Perhaps I will get active again and dig through my OAG collection to augment my memory.

Now for your questions about the DC-8-72-- are you referring to this test aircraft currently operated by NASA? https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...10-0309-11.jpg
According to rzjets it was originally delivered (as a DC-8-62) to Alitalia, then went to Braniff in 1979, then to NASA in 1986 for conversion to the 72.

I also found reference to this DC-8-62 originally flown by UA, converted to a 72 in 1983 and last flown by European operator Brisair: https://www.planespotters.net/photo/...ouglas-dc-8-72.
Not sure if it's still around.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:04 pm

And at present, there is one operator of the DC-8-72 in the U.S. Identify this operator and for bonus points, also name the European airline that originally flew this aircraft as a DC-8-62.
NASA, but I have no idea which European airline had it.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
[COLOR="Red"]Last things first -- thanks for the welcome -- I'm happy to see this thread is still alive and well -- I thought y'all would have run out of questions by now, but that doesn't seem likely.....

Because of a variety of circumstances (nothing earth shattering) that I won't bore you with, I've been a flightless bird for the past 18 months, with my UA p1k status shrinking to gold (thank goodness for lifetime miles), and I consequently put Flyertalk on the back burner. Perhaps I will get active again and dig through my OAG collection to augment my memory.

Now for your questions about the DC-8-72-- are you referring to this test aircraft currently operated by NASA? https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...10-0309-11.jpg
According to rzjets it was originally delivered (as a DC-8-62) to Alitalia, then went to Braniff in 1979, then to NASA in 1986 for conversion to the 72.
Well, we haven't run out of questions quite yet, but it appears we will take some breaks here and there as Seat 2A heads back to work in Denali and yours truly takes some time off as well. And, of course, anything you may to want submit courtesy of your OAG collection would be most welcome!

As for your answer, you are correct, sir! NASA operates one of the last DC-8-72 aircraft out there which was formerly flown by Alitalia and is currently used as an airborne research platform based at the Armstrong Flight Research Center (formerly the NASA Dryden facility) adjacent to Edwards Air Force Base in the high desert north of Los Angeles.

Many years ago, I was in the VIP viewing section at Dryden when the Challenger space shuttle landed on its first return to earth. This was back when NASA was transitioning from F-104 "Starfighter" jets to F/A-18 "Hornet" jets as chase aircraft at Dryden. And who could have predicted at that time the terrible fate that would befall Challenger and her crew shortly after lift off from Florida?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NASA, but I have no idea which European airline had it.
Yep! And miniliq beat you to the punch on this one by only 12 minutes.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq
3. Over the years, Western Airlines and World Airways have provided nonstop service between Oakland (OAK) and Honolulu (HNL). In 1990 a different airline has stepped up to offer a single daily flight between these two cities. Identify that airline and the aircraft it flies on this route.

Best guess is America West (HP) with one of the 747's they leased (perhaps anticipating approval of a route to SYD.)

First and foremost - WELCOME BACK, miniliq! It's great to see your name in print again, and I'm sure I speak for us all when I say we're thankful for your participation now and in the future.

As to the above question, unfortunately the airline in question was not America West. As I recall they concentrated their Hawaii service out of Phoenix and Las Vegas though perhaps they considered Oakland service at one point. There is however no evidence of that per the schedule I referenced for this question. Please, guess again!

6. Four different airlines operate 747s into Mexico City from either Canada or the United States. Identify each of the four airlines and the U.S. or Canadian airports those flights depart from.

No US carriers here -- all continuing flights from non-US origins. AF from IAH, JL from YVR, IB from YUL, and LH from DFW.

You are 100% correct on all counts. Here's the skeds:

LH 494 DFW-MEX 245p - 510p 747 D Frequency: 157

AF 047 IAH-MEX 410p - 620p 747 D Frequency: X13

IB 971 YMX-MEX 450p - 845p 747 D Frequency: 37

JL 012 YVR-MEX 1040a - 512p 747 L Frequency: 14
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here are the remaining questions... Plus three bonus questions to round this batch out to ten:

THE TIMELINE FOR QUESTIONS 3 and 7 IS 1990

HINT: It's not America West...

7. Aside from the usual West Coast gateway cities (SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX, SEA and YVR), Honolulu is served by nonstop 747 flights from four other U.S. mainland cities. Identify each city and the 747 operator that connects it with Honolulu.
ALMOST THERE: TW from STL and HP from LAS and PHX have been identified. We need just one more.

8. By the time American commenced 707 service on January 25, 1959, it’s Electras has been in service for how long? A N S W E R E D

9. What was a distinguishing visible characteristic of Eastern’s factory delivered 720s? A N S W E R E D

10. Identify eight U.S. airlines that operated scheduled services with the non-turbofan powered Boeing 720s A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 5, 2016 at 5:34 pm
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:10 am

9. What was a distinguishing visible characteristic of Eastern’s factory delivered 720s?
Two exits over the wing on each side, like a 707, to permit higher seating capacity.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

7. Aside from the usual West Coast gateway cities (SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX, SEA and YVR), Honolulu is served by nonstop 747 flights from four other U.S. mainland cities. Identify each city and the 747 operator that connects it with Honolulu.
STL - TW
LAS or PHX - HP
ORD - UA
DTW - NW
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

9. What was a distinguishing visible characteristic of Eastern’s factory delivered 720s?

Two exits over the wing on each side, like a 707, to permit higher seating capacity.

Correct! The two over-wing exits allowed for high-density, 142 seat all coach configurations although none of Eastern's 720s were ever delivered in this configuration.

Eastern eventually traded in its 15 strong 720 fleet to Boeing in exchange for 15 more fuel efficient 727-225s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.