Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS MID-1992

10. If you wanted to take advantage of Fifth Freedom rights to fly foreign carriers within North America, Montreal probably offered more options than any other city on the continent. Let’s examine just a couple here: Identify the two foreign airlines operating between Montreal and Chicago. While you’re at it, go ahead and identify which type of aircraft each airline operated on the route.
Montreal to Chicago! Maybe the ultimate 5th Freedom route in North America over the years. Both airlines are European... British Airways is not one of them, but SABENA is. One airline (not SN) operated Airbus A310 equipment, the other McDonnell Douglas equipment.
The DC-10 hint would have potentially included more than a half dozen airlines (SN, SR, AZ, AY, SK, LH, JU, KL...).

If it is A31 equipment, I am going to guess AF which operated that type to YUL as early as 1979. I didn't know SN operated A310s.

Answer withdrawn. I see AF had retired its entire A31 fleet by then

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Jun 17, 2016 at 6:39 pm
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
44. Answer: Sunworld International Airlines based out of Cincinatti, not to be confused with Sunworld International Airways based out of Las Vegas
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
10. If you wanted to take advantage of Fifth Freedom rights to fly foreign carriers within North America, Montreal probably offered more options than any other city on the continent. Let’s examine just a couple here: Identify the two foreign airlines operating between Montreal and Chicago. While you’re at it, go ahead and identify which type of aircraft each airline operated on the route.

Having already eliminated LOT and El Al (which isn't European, but we didn't know that constraint in the beginning), I'll throw another two small-ish carriers into the debate: Sabena (A310) and Swissair (MD-11)

Good call, J! You've correctly identified one of the airlines and one of the aircraft. SABENA is correct, as is the A310. However, per the schedule I reference SABENA was not operating an A310 on this route. A different airline was however.

So then, we're looking for the aircraft type that SABENA operated and the airline that operated the A310. SN must have therefore run a DC-10-30 (-40?) ... I don't think there were a lot of other TATL A310 operators, so I'll speculate this may have been Czech (CSA)

You speculate correctly, J. CSA it was. Just six years earlier I logged my first and only flight with CSA between JFK and YUL, flying aboard an IL-62. Based upon the old and worn interior of the -62 that I flew upon, the A310 had to have been quite an upgrade.

P.S. I have got to stop leaving the answer key in there when I click and drag from my main page...
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
44. It’s a damp, wintery afternoon in southern Ohio when you get a call from an old friend requesting the pleasure of your company for a weekend of scuba diving in the Cayman Islands. You’re already thinking of how to get there before she’s even completed her request. Thankfully an ad in the Travel Section of last Sunday’s Cincinnati Enquirer shows you the way – a Saturday only nonstop departure straight from Cincinnati to Grand Cayman. Right on! Identify the airline and the aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

Answer: Sunworld International Airlines based out of Cincinnati, not to be confused with Sunworld International Airways based out of Las Vegas

BINGO!
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And here's a quick bonus question involving a classic old airplane that is still being flown at the present time....

What type of aircraft is currently being operated for Cayman Airways (KX) on all cargo flights between Miami (MIA) and Grand Cayman (GCM)? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 18, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Old Jun 18, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
[QUOTE=Seat 2A;26787650]THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS MID-1992

3. Way up north in Canada’s Northwest Territory, three airlines vie for your patronage on the fiercely competitive route between Yellowknife (YZF) and Cambridge Bay (YCB). Two of the airlines operate mainline jet equipment while the other utilizes a turbo-prop. Identify each airline and its respective equipment.
First Air has been correctly identified as one of the airlines. However, it was not operating a 727.

Finally home from YEG/YYC with some time to research this a bit (I confess to books, OAGs, wikipedia, since no-one else has tried to answer) to try to correct my original guesses: -- my latest ones are First Air (7F) with a Hawker Siddeley 748, Canadian Airlines International (CP) (later acquired by Air Canada) with a 737 and Northwest Territorial Airlines (NV) with a 727 or 737. NV was later acquired by First Air. All rather confusing to me. You'll have to steer me in the correct path, Seat 2A.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
And here's a quick bonus question involving a classic old airplane that is still being flown at the present time....

What type of aircraft is currently being operated for Cayman Airways (KX) on all cargo flights between Miami (MIA) and Grand Cayman (GCM)?
Convair 580. I see this land every once in a while, but because of it's location, I am unable to get a picture of it.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Convair 580. I see this land every once in a while, but because of it's location, I am unable to get a picture of it.
Correct! BTW, Cayman Airways will be replacing their small fleet of B737-300 aircraft with four new B737-8 MAX airplanes with the first delivery in 2018, I believe.

And Lady K and yours truly will return to Grand Cayman this March for the first time in many years (we were planning on going this September but have now revised that plan). It's a lovely little island and I'm very much looking forward to our spring vacation there, most likely on the less developed east end.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 18, 2016 at 4:04 pm Reason: KX & GCM stuff
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq
3. Way up north in Canada’s Northwest Territory, three airlines vie for your patronage on the fiercely competitive route between Yellowknife (YZF) and Cambridge Bay (YCB). Two of the airlines operate mainline jet equipment while the other utilizes a turbo-prop. Identify each airline and its respective equipment.
First Air has been correctly identified as one of the airlines. However, it was not operating a 727.

Finally home from YEG/YYC with some time to research this a bit (I confess to books, OAGs, wikipedia, since no-one else has tried to answer) to try to correct my original guesses: --

My latest ones are First Air (7F) with a Hawker Siddeley 748, Canadian Airlines International (CP) (later acquired by Air Canada) with a 737 and Northwest Territorial Airlines (NV) with a 727 or 737. NV was later acquired by First Air. All rather confusing to me. You'll have to steer me in the correct path, Seat 2A

No steering needed for you, mini! You're 100% spot on with both the requisite airlines and aircraft operated. I don't have access to my schedules at the moment but I'm heading home after work tomorrow night and if you like I'd be happy to post the flights and times upon my return. Let me know.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 18, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And now it is time to close out this set of questions. Upon my return home tonight I will provide the answers to any remaining unanswered questions.

5. Further perusal of the 1992 summer schedule reveals a single airline providing the only all economy configured flights between New York area airports and Ft. Lauderdale. Three flights per day are offered, one each from Long Island’s MacArthur Airport (ISP), New Jersey’s Newark International (EWR) and New York’s Kennedy International Airport (JFK). Identify the airline and the single aircraft type it operates on these three routes.
It's not Carnival. The airline involved operated an all-coach configured fleet

40. It's late 1997 and you want to fly from Chicago to Las Vegas – but man oh man – the fares sure are expensive! But hey! Further investigation reveals that if you’re willing to depart out of Midway Airport – located on the city’s south side – there are two airlines that offer substantially cheaper fares. Identify both airlines as well as the aircraft that each airline operates.
ATA with a 727-200 was one of the airlines... The other airline operated an all-coach configured aircraft...

49. Who’d’ve ever thought that there would be sufficient demand to offer not one but three nonstop flights between Nashville and Colorado Springs? Not me. But yes, it turns out that in 1997 there are three almost daily jet flights between these two cities. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized, please.
The airline involved is usually known for operating contract services for other airlines' regional operations. Additionally, all three flights are operated with regional jet equipment.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 20, 2016 at 12:13 am
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:56 am

And now it is time to close out this set of questions. Upon my return home tonight I will provide the answers to any remaining unanswered questions.

5. Further perusal of the 1992 summer schedule reveals a single airline providing the only all economy configured flights between New York area airports and Ft. Lauderdale. Three flights per day are offered, one each from Long Island’s MacArthur Airport (ISP), New Jersey’s Newark International (EWR) and New York’s Kennedy International Airport (JFK). Identify the airline and the single aircraft type it operates on these three routes.

40. It's late 1997 and you want to fly from Chicago to Las Vegas – but man oh man – the fares sure are expensive! But hey! Further investigation reveals that if you’re willing to depart out of Midway Airport – located on the city’s south side – there are two airlines that offer substantially cheaper fares. Identify both airlines as well as the aircraft that each airline operates.
ATA with a 727-200 was one of the airlines... The other airline operated an all-coach configured aircraft...

49. Who’d’ve ever thought that there would be sufficient demand to offer not one but three nonstop flights between Nashville and Colorado Springs? Not me. But yes, it turns out that in 1997 there are three almost daily jet flights between these two cities. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized, please.
The airline involved is usually known for operating contract services for other airlines' regional operations.

GOOD LUCK!
I think the missing answers to number 5 and 40 are the same airline:

5. Midway Airlines in a Fokker 100

40. Midway Airlines using the Airbus A320.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think the missing answers to number 5 and 40 are the same airline:

5. Midway Airlines in a Fokker 100

40. Midway Airlines using the Airbus A320

Not a bad guess at all, Teddy. Midway does indeed meet some of the parameters for the above questions but no, we're still looking for a different airline for each question here.

How about another HINT... For all relevant flights in questions 5 and 40, the aircraft operated was a 727-200.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Since I've picked up an extra shift today, I'll leave these questions out there until tomorrow. Plus a preview of coming attractions:

Bonus Question What was the westernmost city served by Continental Airlines in the last quarter of 1948?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Bonus Question What was the westernmost city served by Continental Airlines in the last quarter of 1948?
I think somewhere between Denver and El Paso -- How about Albuquerque?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe miniliq is correct here with ABQ....

And speaking of good old Continental, here's another quick Bonus Question:

In early to mid 1987, three different airlines not owned by Continental were operating jet equipment for CO domestically in the U.S. via respective code sharing agreements. Identify all three air carriers as well as the jet aircraft type each operated. ANSWERED....Emerald Air with DC9s, Presidential with BAe 146s and Mid Pacific Air with Fokker F28s

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 25, 2016 at 12:05 pm Reason: added another airline in question & answer update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.