FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:32 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
10. If you wanted to take advantage of Fifth Freedom rights to fly foreign carriers within North America, Montreal probably offered more options than any other city on the continent. Let’s examine just a couple here: Identify the two foreign airlines operating between Montreal and Chicago. While you’re at it, go ahead and identify which type of aircraft each airline operated on the route.

Having already eliminated LOT and El Al (which isn't European, but we didn't know that constraint in the beginning), I'll throw another two small-ish carriers into the debate: Sabena (A310) and Swissair (MD-11)

Good call, J! You've correctly identified one of the airlines and one of the aircraft. SABENA is correct, as is the A310. However, per the schedule I reference SABENA was not operating an A310 on this route. A different airline was however.

So then, we're looking for the aircraft type that SABENA operated and the airline that operated the A310. SN must have therefore run a DC-10-30 (-40?) ... I don't think there were a lot of other TATL A310 operators, so I'll speculate this may have been Czech (CSA)

You speculate correctly, J. CSA it was. Just six years earlier I logged my first and only flight with CSA between JFK and YUL, flying aboard an IL-62. Based upon the old and worn interior of the -62 that I flew upon, the A310 had to have been quite an upgrade.

P.S. I have got to stop leaving the answer key in there when I click and drag from my main page...