Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
25. Yep, it was United operating a B727-100. However, Chicago wasn't the first stop and the flight in question did not stop in Denver. Please guess again!
25- well, I was certainly not aware that UA operated ORD-SBA in 1981

so the question is reduced to “where did UA stop a 727 between TPA and ORD?” Cleveland (CLE) seems too obvious, esp considering it was only 2x/week, so I’ll speculate maybe an old Capital Airlines destination of Buffalo (BUF)
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
25- well, I was certainly not aware that UA operated ORD-SBA in 1981

so the question is reduced to “where did UA stop a 727 between TPA and ORD?” Cleveland (CLE) seems too obvious, esp considering it was only 2x/week, so I’ll speculate maybe an old Capital Airlines destination of Buffalo (BUF)
25. Nope, the first stop wasn't Buffalo...and it wasn't Cleveland, either. However, you are pretty much on track concerning your speculation with regard to Capital Airlines.....
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I also wondered how they made it through the night in subfreezing conditions.
We made an interesting observation while staying in a cabin down by the river in Estes Park in late May. We had a hummingbird feeder and during the day the birds were very possessive and would see off any other bird that came near even though the feeder had twelve nozzles. As night approached and the temperature dropped their behavior changed completely and every nozzle was occupied as they all packed in as much energy food as they could.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
18. It's 1976 and you are in Raleigh, North Carolina. A very good friend has invited you to the grand opening of something he calls a "brewpub" in Seattle and even claims to be brewing his own beer on premise. Sounds great! And there's actually a direct flight which makes four stops en route from RDU to SEA! Name the airline, all four stops in order and the equipment.

This sounds like a flight I did in reverse while twice taking advantage of Eastern Airlines Unlimited Mileage Fares in 1978 and 1980. To wit, let's go with an Eastern 727-200 routing RDU - CLT - STL - OMA - PDX - SEA.

It wasn't Eastern and stops were not made at Charlotte, St. Louis, Omaha or Portland. And the aircraft wasn't a B727-200....but you're very close with regard to the equipment. Please guess again, sir!

After all that and I'm still close to anything? Okay, we'll go with the 727-100. As for the airline, I'm pretty sure American didn't serve SEA back then and Northwest didn't serve RDU, so that leaves United. As to the routing... I dunno... how's RDU - ORD - DEN - SLC - SFO - SEA sound?

Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
24. Nope, it wasn't Northwest, the equipment wasn't a B727-100 and stops were not made at BIL, BZN or GEG.
24- let’s try a United 727-200 via Denver (DEN), Salt Lake City (SLC), and Pendleton (PDT)
25. Nope, the first stop wasn't Buffalo...and it wasn't Cleveland, either. However, you are pretty much on track concerning your speculation with regard to Capital Airlines.....
25- I can think of two other cities that saw a lot of Capital Airlines service to Florida, so I’ll just guess Rochester (ROC) randomly

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 29, 2019 at 7:50 pm
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
26. Now it's 1982 and you are in Burbank. No, not the one in Illinois, the one in southern California. You're off to Green Bay for a Packers game with your "cheesehead" friends who live in Wisconsin. And what a surprise! There's a direct flight from BUR to GRB which makes two stops en route. Name the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.

Republic Airlines, BUR - DEN - MKE - GRB, DC-9-30

23. What airline attempted to acquire Air California in 1980 but was not successful with their attempt to do so?

Hughes Air West

Last edited by Toshbaf; Dec 29, 2019 at 10:14 pm
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

18. It's 1976 and you are in Raleigh, North Carolina. A very good friend has invited you to the grand opening of something he calls a "brewpub" in Seattle and even claims to be brewing his own beer on premise. Sounds great! And there's actually a direct flight which makes four stops en route from RDU to SEA! Name the airline, all four stops in order and the equipment.

This sounds like a flight I did in reverse while twice taking advantage of Eastern Airlines Unlimited Mileage Fares in 1978 and 1980. To wit, let's go with an Eastern 727-200 routing RDU - CLT - STL - OMA - PDX - SEA.

It wasn't Eastern and stops were not made at Charlotte, St. Louis, Omaha or Portland. And the aircraft wasn't a B727-200....but you're very close with regard to the equipment. Please guess again, sir!

After all that and I'm still close to anything? Okay, we'll go with the 727-100. As for the airline, I'm pretty sure American didn't serve SEA back then and Northwest didn't serve RDU, so that leaves United. As to the routing... I dunno... how's RDU - ORD - DEN - SLC - SFO - SEA sound?

18. Well, you're now much closer as the air carrier in question was indeed United operating a B727-100. However, this flight did not stop in Chicago, Denver or Salt Lake City. But the last stop before Seattle was SFO......and following the stop in SEA, this flight then continued on to its final destination. Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 30, 2019 at 11:01 am
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
24- let’s try a United 727-200 via Denver (DEN), Salt Lake City (SLC), and Pendleton (PDT)
[color=#333333]
25- I can think of two other cities that saw a lot of Capital Airlines service to Florida, so I’ll just guess Rochester (ROC) randomly
24, Ah, the aircraft was indeed a B727-200 and the first stop was made in Denver. However, the air carrier in question wasn't United and stops were not made at SLC or PDT. But I have the feeling your next guess will you have closing in on the correct answer.

25. And your guess would be correct! Here's the sched.....

UA 697: Tampa (TPA) 11:20a - 1:40p Rochester (ROC) 2:22p - 3:00p Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 3:55p - 6:10p Santa Barbara (SBA)
Freq: TPA-ROC Mondays & Thursdays only, ROC-ORD-SBA daily except Saturdays
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Lunch TPA-ROC, snack ORD-SBA
Equip: 727
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
26. Now it's 1982 and you are in Burbank. No, not the one in Illinois, the one in southern California. You're off to Green Bay for a Packers game with your "cheesehead" friends who live in Wisconsin. And what a surprise! There's a direct flight from BUR to GRB which makes two stops en route. Name the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.

Republic Airlines, BUR - DEN - MKE - GRB, DC-9-30

23. What airline attempted to acquire Air California in 1980 but was not successful with their attempt to do so?

Hughes Air West
23. Nope, it wasn't good old Hughes Airwest......

26. An excellent guess as you have correctly nailed the routing. However....it wasn't Republic and the flight wasn't operated with a DC-9-30. Which means.......
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:03 am

I'll start the guessing on question #3 : United's Caravelles generally stayed east of the Rockies, which eliminates several states where UA had a large intra state operation.

My first guesses are Florida, on a JAX-MIA route, and Michigan, on MBS-DTW.

14. How about WA, SAN-PHX-DEN-CPR-RAP-PIR-FSD-MSP

23. I'm pretty sure this was Air Florida.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I'll start the guessing on question #3 : United's Caravelles generally stayed east of the Rockies, which eliminates several states where UA had a large intra state operation.

My first guesses are Florida, on a JAX-MIA route, and Michigan, on MBS-DTW.

14. How about WA, SAN-PHX-DEN-CPR-RAP-PIR-FSD-MSP

23. I'm pretty sure this was Air Florida.
Hello JoeDTW! A gentle reminder here: I've requested that OTAQ&D participants respond to no more than two quiz items per day so that all may participate and you have tackled three.

3. And you are off to a great start here as United indeed operated Caravelle service between Jacksonville and Miami. Here's the complete sched....

UA 692: Miami (MIA) 8:00a - 9:05a (est.) Jacksonville (JAX) 9:30a - 10:32a Atlanta (ATL) 11:05a - 1:47p Cleveland (CLE)
Freq: Daily
Service class: F
Meal services: Breakfast MIA-JAX, lunch ATL-CLE
Equip: Caravelle "Red Carpet JET"

However, UA was not operating Caravelle service between any cities in Michigan at this time.

14. Yes indeed, the airline was Western....but you have not specified the equipment operated on this flight. You are off to another great start concerning the routing although the first and second stops weren't Phoenix and Denver. The remainder of your routing is correct.

23. Correct! Air Florida was in the process of attempting to acquire Air California in 1980 with a proposal to acquire the airline's parent company, Westgate-California Corp. and had paid around $18,500,000 to two Westgate creditors. However, Air Florida also noted in its annual report at the time that a third party was attempting to acquire Westgate-California and its principal asset Air California (but did not specifiy who this third party was). In any event, the deal fell apart and successor Air Cal was eventually acquired by American, of course.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 30, 2019 at 11:59 am
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA
3. In 1963, United was operating Caravelle service on two routes that were both wholly within two U.S. states. Identify both states as well as the city pair in each of these states served by UA with the Caravelle.
Thinking of the United route structure then, the Caravelles were used both east-west and north-south on the old Capital routes, which were slowly given up. East-west there weren't really any runs within a state they would have suited, I don't think.

So. North-south let's go for Florida, Tampa to Miami, and … Alabama, Montgomery to Mobile. Both tagged on flights coming from further north.

I've probably done a huge disservice to someone's native state, for which I apologise in advance

* - I see Joe, above, has just beaten me to it.

Last edited by WHBM; Dec 30, 2019 at 12:18 pm
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:12 pm

For question 14, I'll try LAX and SLC as the first two stops. The equipment would be a 737-200.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Thinking of the United route structure then, the Caravelles were used both east-west and north-south on the old Capital routes, which were slowly given up. East-west there weren't really any runs within a state they would have suited, I don't think.

So. North-south let's go for Florida, Tampa to Miami, and … Alabama, Montgomery to Mobile. Both tagged on flights coming from further north.

I've probably done a huge disservice to someone's native state, for which I apologise in advance
3. Hello WHBM! Hope you are finally seeing some good weather over there in the UK as I understand you've been experiencing quite a bit of rain. It's clear and chilly with abundant sunshine here following passage of a cold front yesterday afternoon and we'll probably see a heavy frost tomorrow morning.

Please see my above post concerning the UA Caravelle service in Florida as the city pair was actually Miami - Jacksonville. And here's the good news: the other state was indeed Alabama and one of the cities was Mobile.....but the other city wasn't Montgomery. Please guess again, sir!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
For question 14, I'll try LAX and SLC as the first two stops. The equipment would be a 737-200.
14. WA operating a 73S with the first two stops being Los Angeles and Salt Lake City: Yes! Nope! Yes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.