Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Final guess for tonight...

VARIG
32. Ah, no.....and the airline we are looking for wasn't based in South America, either.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I'll offer a somewhat-wild but plausible guess for

32. Air Canada
32. Oh, not so wild at all....as you are correct! Here's the complete sched.....

AC 866: Ottawa (YOW) 6:30p - 7:05p (est.) Montreal Mirabel (YMX) 7:40p - 6:10a +1 London Heathrow (LHR) 7:25a - 10:15a Nice (NCE)
Freq: YOW-YMX Tuesdays and Sundays only, YMX-LHR daily, LHR-NCE daily except Tuesdays and Sundays
Service classes: F/J/Y
Equip: 767
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
The OAG lists domestic 747 service operated by Air Inter (IT) nonstop to Paris Orly from Bordeaux, Marseille and Toulouse in 1989 (although none of these flights was operated on a daily basis). Curious to know the actual operator of these flights....was it Air France or Air Charter International?
These will be Air France 747 flights from Paris to Africa or the Caribbean etc, stopping at those points along the way, with an IT flight number also applied for the domestic sector. They didn't always do it this way but there was a period when they did.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
These will be Air France 747 flights from Paris to Africa or the Caribbean etc, stopping at those points along the way, with an IT flight number also applied for the domestic sector. They didn't always do it this way but there was a period when they did.
Makes sense.....thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
[QUOTE=jlemon;31901892]32. Oh, not so wild at all....as you are correct! Here's the complete sched.....

AC 866: /QUOTE]

IIRC, AC was operating a pretty substantial Fitth Freedom hub at LHR at the time, one route of which may have involved a rare L-1011 sub-model to the other side of Eurasia. More quiz fodder!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
20. You've had a great getaway in Cancun but now it's time to get back to work. Your lady friend is now safely heading back to New York City but you are off to Los Angeles. You'll be on board a daily flight which makes two stops en route from CUN to LAX although the aircraft is in an all coach configuration. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment.
It was Texas International operating a DC-9-30 CUN - IAH - ___ - LAX. The second stop wasn't ABQ.

As an inveterate reader of the OAG in years past, I'm ashamed to admit that I was unaware TI served LAX from anywhere besides ABQ. My initial thought would be that the service was from a smaller airport such as MAF or LBB but south Texas to the west coast was served almost exclusively by Continental or American. Being Denver based back then, I remember that for years TI DC-9s came into DEN from either AMA or SLC. Post deregulation TI expanded its presence out of DFW and commenced nonstop flights from there to Denver for just $59 each way. I remember the clever advertisement for the inaugural flights well. To wit, there were 59 different ways that you could fly from DEN to DFW for just 59 cents. For example, you could bring a picture of yourself from a 1959 high school yearbook or write a 59 word poem about why TI was the way to fly between DEN and DFW or pay for the fare with $59 in monopoly money. I don't recall if the promotion was limited to the first 59 people who satisfied one of the 59 different requirements, but it was typical of some of the goofy promotions that made flying in America more fun than anywhere else in the world. Anyway, let's roll the dice and go with DFW as the second stop. It makes more sense than Clovis or Santa Fe.

22. Now you are in Johannesburg and need to travel to New York City. You've found a flight that operates once a week from JNB to JFK which makes two stops en route with the first stop being a technical stop. Name the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.

Part of me is thinking this could be something like Pan Am or Nigerian Airways routing through Lagos or some other west African airport. I think by the late 1970s SAA was routing its 747s through Sal Island, so let's start with Varig routing JNB - CPT - Rio - New York with a 707.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:29 pm

34. How many daily flights were there in 1996 from Nice to Monte Carlo, what airline operated them and what was the equipment?
Home in London, thanks to a BA A319.

In a less-usual moment, I was actually looking out on the answer to this question while reading it. The company was Heli-Air, flying helicopters between these points. Departure is from both terminals at Nice, by virtue of starting from a gate at both in a minivan, which drives round to the seaward side of the runways, where from a small pad the helicopters depart at notably low level, out over the sea then eastwards to Monaco. They probably timetabled every 30 minutes, so about 20 a day, but in practice have always seemed to run as and when passengers turned up. Another minivan service in Monaco took you on from the pad to any address there (it's not a big place). The minivan at Nice airport does of course also take you if required to/from the enormous array of private jets parked there.

Business contact did some long term basic accounting work for a company in Monaco; they only booked them Easyjet, not BA, from London to Nice on the company account, but did then allow the helicopter transfer !
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
20. You've had a great getaway in Cancun but now it's time to get back to work. Your lady friend is now safely heading back to New York City but you are off to Los Angeles. You'll be on board a daily flight which makes two stops en route from CUN to LAX although the aircraft is in an all coach configuration. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment.
It was Texas International operating a DC-9-30 CUN - IAH - ___ - LAX. The second stop wasn't ABQ.

As an inveterate reader of the OAG in years past, I'm ashamed to admit that I was unaware TI served LAX from anywhere besides ABQ. My initial thought would be that the service was from a smaller airport such as MAF or LBB but south Texas to the west coast was served almost exclusively by Continental or American. Being Denver based back then, I remember that for years TI DC-9s came into DEN from either AMA or SLC. Post deregulation TI expanded its presence out of DFW and commenced nonstop flights from there to Denver for just $59 each way. I remember the clever advertisement for the inaugural flights well. To wit, there were 59 different ways that you could fly from DEN to DFW for just 59 cents. For example, you could bring a picture of yourself from a 1959 high school yearbook or write a 59 word poem about why TI was the way to fly between DEN and DFW or pay for the fare with $59 in monopoly money. I don't recall if the promotion was limited to the first 59 people who satisfied one of the 59 different requirements, but it was typical of some of the goofy promotions that made flying in America more fun than anywhere else in the world. Anyway, let's roll the dice and go with DFW as the second stop. It makes more sense than Clovis or Santa Fe.

22. Now you are in Johannesburg and need to travel to New York City. You've found a flight that operates once a week from JNB to JFK which makes two stops en route with the first stop being a technical stop. Name the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.

Part of me is thinking this could be something like Pan Am or Nigerian Airways routing through Lagos or some other west African airport. I think by the late 1970s SAA was routing its 747s through Sal Island, so let's start with Varig routing JNB - CPT - Rio - New York with a 707.
20. Yep, it was rare for Texas International to operate nonstop flights from Dallas/Fort Worth to Los Angeles.....but they were doing so in the fall of 1979 with exactly one flight a day which was also the last nonstop of the day from DFW to LAX. Here's the sched....

TI 728: Cancun (CUN) 5:24p - 7:25p Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 8:35p - 9:24p Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 10:05p - 11:10p Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: Daily
Service class: S
Equip: DC-9-30

BTW, there was considerable competition on the Dallas/Fort Worth - Los Angeles route at this time with American, Braniff International and Delta operating a combined total of 18 nonstop flights a day from DFW to LAX....and the TI flight made it 19 nonstops a day on the route, all but one of them operated on a daily basis (American's last flight of the day operated daily except Saturdays). AA was operating eight flights a day (seven with the 727-200 and one with a 707), Braniff was operating four flights a day (all with the 727-200) and Delta was operating seven flights a day (three with the L-1011 and four with the 727-200). This would all change in the years ahead, of course.

22. You are the off to a great start here as your routing and aircraft type are both correct! However, it wasn't Varig so please again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 4, 2020 at 10:01 am
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Home in London, thanks to a BA A319.

In a less-usual moment, I was actually looking out on the answer to this question while reading it. The company was Heli-Air, flying helicopters between these points. Departure is from both terminals at Nice, by virtue of starting from a gate at both in a minivan, which drives round to the seaward side of the runways, where from a small pad the helicopters depart at notably low level, out over the sea then eastwards to Monaco. They probably timetabled every 30 minutes, so about 20 a day, but in practice have always seemed to run as and when passengers turned up. Another minivan service in Monaco took you on from the pad to any address there (it's not a big place). The minivan at Nice airport does of course also take you if required to/from the enormous array of private jets parked there.

Business contact did some long term basic accounting work for a company in Monaco; they only booked them Easyjet, not BA, from London to Nice on the company account, but did then allow the helicopter transfer !
34. Yes, indeed, this is a helicopter airline quiz question! Heli-Air is correct although in 1996 they were using the name Heli-Air-Monaco (YO). Another thing I learned while researching this quiz item is the Monte Carlo Heliport (MCM) and the Monaco Heliport are one in the same....it simply has two names. And in 1996, there were a considerable number of flights from Nice to Monte Carlo listed in the OAG.....a much higher number than 20. Plus we are also still looking for the helicopter type operated by Heli-Air-Monaco on this shuttle service in 1996.

And speaking of Monte Carlo, I am reminded of British Army Lt. T.E. Lawrence as played by Peter O'Toole in the film "Lawrence of Arabia" riding a camel with his voice echoing off desert hills as he sings, I'm the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo......

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 3, 2020 at 4:32 pm
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:36 pm

Another thing I learned while researching this quiz item is the Monte Carlo Heliport (MCM) and the Monaco Heliport are one in the same....it simply has two names.
Monaco is the country, Monte Carlo is the principal municipality. You would never think that a country with a land area of only ¾ square mile would need subdivisions inside it - but it does.

Meanwhile, a bonus question. On taxying at London Gatwick we saw THIS. What type is it ?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ga...1!4d-0.1820629 (minimise the sidebar on the left if necessary)
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt the French used any U.S. or Russian equipment and any home-grown Aerospatiales were either too small or too large, So let's go with an Agusta 109.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=YVR Cockroach;31904905]
32. Oh, not so wild at all....as you are correct! Here's the complete sched.....

AC 866: /QUOTE]

IIRC, AC was operating a pretty substantial Fitth Freedom hub at LHR at the time, one route of which may have involved a rare L-1011 sub-model to the other side of Eurasia. More quiz fodder!
Ah, armed with this information, perhaps you'd care to pose a bonus quiz item, sir!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt the French used any U.S. or Russian equipment and any home-grown Aerospatiales were either too small or too large, So let's go with an Agusta 109.
Please guess again!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=jlemon;31906423]

Ah, armed with this information, perhaps you'd care to pose a bonus quiz item, sir!
O.K. No specifics and I hope I have/know the correct answers.

Sometime in the 1990s Air Canada had a substantial hub at LHR.

As we know, AC operated a 767-200 on LHR-NCE as an extension to a route from Canada.

Bonus Question 1
Name the destination and stop of the longest Fifth Freedom flight (continuing to/from Canada) AC operated from LHR and the equipment used (generic type o.k., specific type preferred).

Bonus Question 2
The destination country in BQ 1 above operated service to Canada under a bilateral agreement from the final stop in BQ 1 above. Name the airline, the destination in Canada, and the intermediate stop (city name will do), and equipment.

Bonus Question 3

The whole bilateral treaty fell apart due to various quibbles by at least 2 countries. Open to discussion but name the countries and their quibbles.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Wow! Got the routing and aircraft right, but the wrong airline. Well then, the only other possibility that comes to mind would be SAA operating its historic pre-747 route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.