Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA
66. (1975)
Per schedules posted in the North American OAG, what was the largest aircraft one could fly into St. Croix’s Alexander Hamilton International Airport during the winter of 1975? What airline operated it? Where did fly into STX from?
I think this would be an American 707, operating a triangle New York-St Thomas-St Croix-New York, serving St Thomas first so it could make a minimum fuel takeoff from there on the short runway where, a year or two later, American lost a 727 and gave up jets there for a while, sending this flight just direct to St Croix and buying a couple of Convair 440s to keep the link. American mainline, not a commuter contract operation, and the last piston operation by a US major carrier..

75. (1975) Not including flights to Hawaii, this is the longest nonstop flight in the North American OAG. Identify the airline, route and aircraft please…
What about Pan Am, with a 747 operating New York-Anchorage-Tokyo, with just the first leg in the NA OAG.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
78. (1965)This question is based upon schedules posted in a 1965 North American OAG. Outside of New Yorks JFK, identify the only airport in the U.S. that was being served by two foreign built jetliners. Identify the airliners and the airline that operated them as well.
78- Ill offer that the airport in question was Chicago OHare (ORD); the aircraft were a Braniff BAC One-Eleven and a United Caravelle
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by KT550
81 . (MISC) Identify the four different airlines that were the launch customers for Boeings 737-200, -300, -400 and -500
200 = United Correct!
300 = US Air Correct!
400 = US Air Incorrect
500 = Southwest Correct!

71. (MISC) What was the first airline in Latin America to operate the 747?

Aerolineas Argentinas

It was not Aerolineas Argentinas. The airline we're looking for commenced its 747 services a few months before AR. Please, guess again!

Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
66. (1975) Per schedules posted in the North American OAG, what was the largest aircraft one could fly into St. Croix’s Alexander Hamilton International Airport during the winter of 1975? What airline operated it? Where did fly into STX from?

I think this would be an American 707, operating a triangle New York-St Thomas-St Croix-New York, serving St Thomas first so it could make a minimum fuel takeoff from there on the short runway where, a year or two later, American lost a 727 and gave up jets there for a while, sending this flight just direct to St Croix and buying a couple of Convair 440s to keep the link. American mainline, not a commuter contract operation, and the last piston operation by a US major carrier.

You are correct, Sir Per the schedule I referenced for this question, AA'a 707 flight originated in New York and terminated at STX before turning around and heading back up to JFK. There were also two daily 727 flights originating out of St. Thomas that flew STT-STX-JFK and beyond. Both of those flights operated nonstop JFK-STT. There was no AA service flowing STX-STT. Here's the southbound schedule from New York into St. Croix.

American AA 641 New York (JFK) 1000a-155p St. Croix (STX) 707 Op. 167

75. (1975) Not including flights to Hawaii, this is the longest nonstop flight in the North American OAG. Identify the airline, route and aircraft please…

What about Pan Am, with a 747 operating New York-Anchorage-Tokyo, with just the first leg in the NA OAG.

You are very close. The airline was indeed Pan Am, but we're looking for a different routing operated with a different aircraft than the 747.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
78. (1965)This question is based upon schedules posted in a 1965 North American OAG. Outside of New York’s JFK, identify the only airport in the U.S. that was being served by two foreign built jetliners. Identify the airliners and the airline that operated them as well.

I’ll offer that the airport in question was Chicago O’Hare (ORD); the aircraft were a Braniff BAC One-Eleven and a United Caravelle

Chicago O'Hare is correct! However, while you've correctly identified United's Caravelle as one of the aircraft, per the schedule I reference Braniff was not yet operating its BAC-111 Fastback Jets. So then, you're two-thirds the way home. Go get 'em, J!
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
85. (MISC) Under what name did United brand its domestic and international Business Class in the mid-nineties?

Connoisseur?

You are Correct! Per my tastes at least, those old Connoisseur Business Class cradle style seats were much more comfortable than the hard stiff cushioned seats that pass for Business Class today.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
84. (1965) You’ve heard about a great deal on a lightly used combine harvester for sale. Only problem is your farm is out in Eden Prairie, MN and the harvester is down in Sioux City, Iowa. Normally you’d just drive down to have a look at it but with everything going on this week there’s just no time so you’ll have to fly. Only one airline serves this market, offering three almost daily flights – one of them a nonstop. You book a seat on the nonstop. Name the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

I'll guess Braniff International operating a BAC One-Eleven from Minneapolis/St. Paul nonstop to Sioux City.

Braniff is correct! However, per the schedules I referenced for this question, the BAC-111 had not yet joined Braniff's fleet. Care to tap in on another option?

88 . (1959) What was the westernmost airport served by Capitol Airlines? What type of equipment was used to serve this airport?

I believe this was Minneapolis/St. Paul and the equipment was a Viscount.

I believe you are correct, Sir! Capitol Viscounts served Minneapolis with eight mostly daily flights - three from Detroit and five from Milwaukee. All of these flights originated from airports farther east than MKE or YIP.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

84. (1965) You’ve heard about a great deal on a lightly used combine harvester for sale. Only problem is your farm is out in Eden Prairie, MN and the harvester is down in Sioux City, Iowa. Normally you’d just drive down to have a look at it but with everything going on this week there’s just no time so you’ll have to fly. Only one airline serves this market, offering three almost daily flights – one of them a nonstop. You book a seat on the nonstop. Name the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

87. (1975) There are three nonstop flights operating between the state of Alaska and Canada – each one operating from a different Alaskan airport. Identify each of the Alaskan airports, the Canadian city served from each airport, and the airline that flies each respective route. (HINT) One airline serves two of these routes.
84. Hmmmm, a bit early for the BAC One-Eleven operated by BN from MSP over to Sioux City, you say......

Well, I want to say it was an Electra instead; however, I think we are talking about a recip here being the Convair 340.

87. Sounds like Northwest with a B727-100 operating nonstop between Anchorage and Edmonton with the route actually being ANC - YEG - MSP. And the other air carrier was most likely Wien operating round trip service Fairbanks - Whitehorse - Juneau. But was WC operating this flight with a B737-200 or with a Fairchild F-27? Let's go with the F-27.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
78- how about Mexicana with a de Haviland Comet 4C

71- for the first South American operator of the 747, I’m thinking we need to look toward the other end of the alphabet ... VIASA

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 1, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Hmmmm, a bit early for the BAC One-Eleven operated by BN from MSP over to Sioux City, you say...... Well, I want to say it was an Electra instead; however, I think we are talking about a recip here being the Convair 340.

Now you're cookin'! Here's the schedule:

Braniff BN 323 Minneapolis (MSP) 600p-734p S Sioux City (SUX) Convair 340 X6

87. (1975) There are three nonstop flights operating between the state of Alaska and Canada – each one operating from a different Alaskan airport. Identify each of the Alaskan airports, the Canadian city served from each airport, and the airline that flies each respective route. (HINT) One airline serves two of these routes.

Sounds like Northwest with a B727-100 operating nonstop between Anchorage and Edmonton with the route actually being ANC - YEG - MSP. And the other air carrier was most likely Wien operating round trip service Fairbanks - Whitehorse - Juneau. But was WC operating this flight with a B737-200 or with a Fairchild F-27? Let's go with the F-27.

That's it. I don't have schedules handy at present but the main thing is you've correctly identified all airlines, routes and equipment.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 1, 2020 at 2:33 pm
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:10 pm

71. (MISC)What was the first airline in Latin America to operate the 747?

Aerolineas Argentinas

It was not Aerolineas Argentinas. The airline we're looking for commenced its 747 services a few months before AR. Please, guess again!
Avianca
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:15 pm

81 . (MISC) Identify the four different airlines that were the launch customers for Boeings 737-200, -300, -400 and -500

400 = US Air Incorrect
Piedmont Airlines for the -400
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA
78. (1965)
per the schedule I reference Braniff was not yet operating its BAC-111 Fastback Jets. So then, you're two-thirds the way home.

Would depend when in 1965. Braniff took delivery of all 12 of their BAC One-Eleven between March and December 1965, so not at Chicago at the start, but would be at the end.

However, I would go for a BOAC VC-10, operating from Chicago to Montreal on it's way back to the UK.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
85. (MISC) Under what name did United brand its domestic and international Business Class in the mid-nineties?

Connoisseur?

You are Correct! Per my tastes at least, those old Connoisseur Business Class cradle style seats were much more comfortable than the hard stiff cushioned seats that pass for Business Class today.
Bonus Question;

Which airline previously used the Connoisseur name to brand its business class and how did UA obtain the brand name?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
78. (1965) This question is based upon schedules posted in a 1965 North American OAG. Outside of New Yorks JFK, identify the only airport in the U.S. that was being served by two foreign built jetliners. Identify the airliners and the airline that operated them as well.

How about Mexicana with a de Haviland Comet 4C

Yep, that's the one.

Bonus Question: What airline was serving New York with the Comet in 1965? Where did it fly into New York from?

71. (MISC) What was the first airline in Latin America to operate the 747?

For the first South American operator of the 747, Im thinking we need to look toward the other end of the alphabet ... VIASA

Alas, it was not VIASA. Please, guess again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.