Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
18. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, which two states are served by just a single jet aircraft type? Identify each state and the jet aircraft type (variant specific, please) that serves it uniquely.
Cheyenne, WY served via Western's 737 has been correctly identified. We need one more...
18- I’ll offer Vermont: Allegheny and Delta running DC-9-30s into Burlington/BTV
Old May 2, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by KT550
Singapore Airlines used the name "Big Top" for their 747-300s.

And too easy a question to ask what the -400s were monikered.
Old May 2, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
I want to say SR rebuilt some of their -200 fleet to the “SUD” (Stretched Upprr Deck) configuration
SUD it is. Not SR but you've already mentioned the name. It appear while that airline had the most 747s converted to SUDs, at least a couple of others did too.
Spoiler

I had the impression the airline that converted them did it in-house but the conversions were by Boeing.
Old May 2, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

And too easy a question to ask what the -400s were monikered.
I believe SQ called the B747-400 the "Mega Top".
Old May 2, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

22. (1988) Good Lord! The heat and humidity of this summer in Atlanta is as bad as it’s ever been and probably worse! Imagine then your surprise and delight when a couple of old friends from college daze call to ask if you’d care to join them on a six day backpacking trip doing the Rae Lakes Loop in King’s Canyon National Park. Whaaaat?!! OMG, Yes!!! You indicate you’ll buy a ticket out and back as soon as you can figure out which airport is closest to Kings Canyon N.P. Following a brief search, you find that there is a single daily direct one-stop flight from Atlanta to the airport you’ll need to fly into. A snack and dinner will be served along the way. Identify that airport as well as the airline, aircraft and the single enroute stop.
22. I think we are talking about flying into Fresno (FAT) here followed by a ride east on good old California 180 up to the Sierra Nevada range. And once on the trail, a beautiful view of 13,126 foot Diamond Peak on the Sierra Crest will be enjoyed. As for the air carrier....well, Delta seems too obvious so let's go with United operating a B737-200 via a stop at Denver.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
25. (1995) You and your wife are finally taking that long awaited vacation to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. From your home outside Kansas City, MO you’re not surprised to find there are neither direct nor nonstop flights. You’re gonna have to connect somewhere. Hey! Why not San Diego? You can spend a couple of days with the in-laws at their palatial digs up in La Jolla before continuing on to PVR. There’s a single nonstop each day between MCI and SAN and, as luck would have it, a single nonstop each day between SAN and PVR. Identify each of the relevant airlines and aircraft types operating these flights.
It's not Alaska between SAN and PVR
25- for MCI-SAN, let’s try USAir with a 737-400; then we’ll make our way to PVR on a Mexicana A320
Old May 2, 2020, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
15. (1979) You’re now in Dallas and need to get to Milwaukee for a breakfast conference tomorrow morning. You imagine there should be a good variety of nonstops but are surprised to find mostly multi-stop flights with only a single nonstop that departs DFW in the early evening. That’ll work! Which airline and aircraft type will you be flying upon?
It's not Midwest Express

Was Midwest Express even operating in 1985? My feeling this was an Ozark DC9-30.

Midwest Express was indeed operating in 1985. Heck, they didn't even add MD80s until later in the 80s and of course the Omaha mini-hub was still in the future as well. As for Ozark with a DC-9-30, you are indeed correct!

Ozark OZ 944 Dallas (DFW) 715p-910p D Milwaukee (MKE) DC-9-30 X6

23. (1985) Over the years many airlines have operated single class configured aircraft in the busy New York to Los Angeles market. In mid-1985 just one airline operates nonstop flights with them. Identify that airline and the aircraft type it uses.
It's not an MGM Grand Air D8S or a World DC10

Tapping in with short-lived Regent whose single class configuration was First Class on a 727-100. Sort of like the single class A318 that British Airways operated to London from New York a few years ago.

Regent Air and it's 727-100 is the one we're looking for, TB. I must beg to differ though with the comparison to BA's A318 operation - an all Business Class configured aircraft that offered rows of assumedly comfortable Business Class seats as opposed to Regent Air's private compartments, forward lounge area. large stand-up bar and table-top dining serving much nicer meals than those found in a modern Business Class setting. Here's a Regent Air Ad.

By the way, Regent offered two almost daily flights in each direction. Here are the westbound schedules...

Regent Air 4R 003 New York (EWR) 930a-1210p Los Angeles (LAX) 727-100 X6
Regent Air 4R 005 New York (EWR) 715p-955p Los Angeles (LAX) 727-100 X6

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 2, 2020 at 1:46 pm
Old May 2, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
28. (1985) Finally! Kansas City has a direct one-stop flight to Hawaii! No more long and occasionally annoying. Still, the price is right and so you book a couple of seats. Identify the airline, the connecting point and the two aircraft types involved.

I will open the bidding with American: MD-80 and DC-10, changing at Dallas/DFW

An excellent and certainly most logical guess. However, in this instance we're looking for a different airline and connection point. Please guess again...
Old May 2, 2020, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

18. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, which two states are served by just a single jet aircraft type? Identify each state and the jet aircraft type (variant specific, please) that serves it uniquely.
Cheyenne, WY served via Western's 737 has been correctly identified. We need one more...

I’ll offer Vermont: Allegheny and Delta running DC-9-30s into Burlington/BTV

I should have said single airline with a single aircraft type. You'll find the question has been appropriately amended. That said, it's not Vermont as Burlington saw service from two airlines operating two different types of jets. As an aside, it should be noted that in 1970 Allegheny would not have been serving BTV as that was still Mohawk country and the merger was still a couple years off. The same holds true for Delta which had yet to merge with Northeast. Given the wealth of knowledge and acumen you've displayed in the past, I can only assume this must've have been an early morning senior moment.
Old May 2, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
22. (1988) Good Lord! The heat and humidity of this summer in Atlanta is as bad as it’s ever been and probably worse! Imagine then your surprise and delight when a couple of old friends from college daze call to ask if you’d care to join them on a six day backpacking trip doing the Rae Lakes Loop in King’s Canyon National Park. Whaaaat?!! OMG, Yes!!! You indicate you’ll buy a ticket out and back as soon as you can figure out which airport is closest to Kings Canyon N.P. Following a brief search, you find that there is a single daily direct one-stop flight from Atlanta to the airport you’ll need to fly into. A snack and dinner will be served along the way. Identify that airport as well as the airline, aircraft and the single enroute stop.

I think we are talking about flying into Fresno (FAT) here followed by a ride east on good old California 180 up into the Sierra Nevada range. And once on the trail, a beautiful view of 13,126 foot Diamond Peak on the Sierra Crest will be enjoyed. As for the air carrier....well, Delta seems too obvious so let's go with United operating a B737-200 via a stop at Denver.

An excellent guess but no - it was not United, nor was it a 737-200. The stop was however in Denver. Hmm... whichever airline/aircraft could it be?
Old May 2, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

25. (1995) You and your wife are finally taking that long awaited vacation to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. From your home outside Kansas City, MO you’re not surprised to find there are neither direct nor nonstop flights. You’re gonna have to connect somewhere. Hey! Why not San Diego? You can spend a couple of days with the in-laws at their palatial digs up in La Jolla before continuing on to PVR. There’s a single nonstop each day between MCI and SAN and, as luck would have it, a single nonstop each day between SAN and PVR. Identify each of the relevant airlines and aircraft types operating these flights.
It's not Alaska between SAN and PVR

For MCI-SAN, let’s try USAir with a 737-400; then we’ll make our way to PVR on a Mexicana A320

MCI-SAN with US Air on a 737-400 is correct! As for SAN-PVR, it's not Mexicana but you are verrrrry close!
Old May 2, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18- yah, I certainly should have realized AL was wrong for BTV in 1970; for some odd reason I associated DL’s acquisition of NE with 1969, but whatever

and that said, let’s stick with Northeast D9S service, but as the sole jet operator at Manchester NH (MHT)

28- 1985, MCI-XXX-HNL; not AA, XXX isn’t DFW
  • we can immediately eliminate DL, as they also flew DFW-HNL (a backtrack thru ATL is almost impossible to imagine)
  • we can also scratch NW, PA, WA, and WO who didn’t serve MCI
  • that leaves CO, TW, and UA ... both aircraft types (M80 and D10) would mean CO, but absence of feedback makes me think at most one is correct
TW was notorious for change-of-aircraft and change-of-gauge operations on their TATL flights, but I think UA is a better candidate for this question that involves Hawaii ... let’s say a 727-200 to SFO and thence a DC-10
Old May 2, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not United

US Air with a 734 MCI-SAN has been identified
22. Hmmmmm....I take it Fresno is indeed the arrival airport we are looking for. So let's try Continental with a B737-300 via Denver.

25. This may have been Aeromexico with an MD-80 nonstop SAN-PVR.
Old May 2, 2020, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

18. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, which two states are served by just a single airline operating a single jet aircraft type? Identify each state and the single airline and jet aircraft type that serves it uniquely.

Yah, I certainly should have realized AL was wrong for BTV in 1970; for some odd reason I associated DL’s acquisition of NE with 1969, but whatever - and that said, let’s stick with Northeast D9S service, but as the sole jet operator at Manchester NH (MHT)

Yah? Yah?! Yer starting to sound like an old Norwegian, ya know. What - you been hanging out over in Ballard? As for Northeast running its DC-9-30 through Manchester, New Hampshire - Ya, sure, you betcha! And dat closes out dis question, eh!

28. (1985) Finally! Kansas City has a direct one-stop flight to Hawaii! No more long and occasionally annoying connections on the west coast. On the downside, this flight does have a change of gauge at the enroute stop which is almost as bad as a connection. Still, the price is right and so you book a couple of seats. Identify the airline, the connecting point and the two aircraft types involved.

1985, MCI-XXX-HNL; not AA, XXX isn’t DFW
  • We can immediately eliminate DL, as they also flew DFW-HNL (a backtrack thru ATL is almost impossible to imagine).Correct!
  • We can also scratch NW, PA, WA, and WO who didn’t serve MCI . Not entirely correct...
  • That leaves CO, TW, and UA ... both aircraft types (M80 and D10) would mean CO, but absence of feedback makes me think at most one is correct.The DC-10 is correct
TW was notorious for change-of-aircraft and change-of-gauge operations on their TATL flights, but I think UA is a better candidate for this question that involves Hawaii ... let’s say a 727-200 to SFO and thence a DC-10

This is extremely plausible, but no - the airline was not United and the first aircraft was not a 727-200. That said, you are very close on a couple aspects of this answer. Note my comment about where you were not entirely correct, factor in a DC-10 somewhere and....

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 2, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Old May 2, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
It's not United

Hmmmmm....I take it Fresno is indeed the arrival airport we are looking for. So let's try Continental with a B737-300 via Denver.

Sorry, I should have acknowledged FAT, which is indeed correct. So too is Continental via DEN. However, we're looking for a different aircraft type than the 737-300... One you've mentioned earlier

(Again, note the next updated question listing to see how I'll be acknowledging certain aspects of future answers...)

US Air with a 734 MCI-SAN has been identified

This may have been Aeromexico with an MD-80 nonstop SAN-PVR.

It is indeed AeroMexico with the MD80. Here's the full schedule:

US Air US 852 Kansas City (MCI) 815p-936p S San Diego (SAN) 737-400 X6

AeroMexico AM 485 San Diego (SAN) 1255p-435p S Puerto Vallarta (PVR) MD-80 Daily

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 2, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.