Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
Okay, so sitting on a major waterway being a capital leaves me with a few choices but the only one that would seem to be reasonably right is St. Paul MN
I guess most of us would assume St. Paul was served by jets through MSP airport since they are considered the "Twin Cities."

Old May 1, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well I'll be damned! How did you know that one! I figured it might be out there a while longer. But hey - correct! by the way.
I will admit I saw some of it while doing my research for my next set of questions I am compiling which I am hoping for a 'Round the USA" itinerary.
Old May 1, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by KT550
I thought the in seat lighting might be a TCA feature but interesting you mention it was on United too.
Perhaps later models had conventional lighting or earlier models were upgraded.
The in-seat PSU items were a Douglas option, and appeared on a number of the early DC8 production. They were known by Douglas as "Palomar Seats", after the supplier. The electrical supply ran down the cabin wall. I believe Trans Canada changed over to overhead PSUs around 1964, so all their early Rolls-Royce powered DC8-40s had them.
Seat 2A and KT550 like this.

Last edited by WHBM; May 1, 2020 at 8:59 am
Old May 1, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by teddybear99
I guess most of us would assume St. Paul was served by jets through MSP airport since they are considered the "Twin Cities."

That was my assumption when I added Trenton and Santa Fe.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
12: American and the MD80 are correct, however this flight did not route through SJC. That said, I must apologize as my comment about it routing through a hub airport was a few years too early. Now having said that, I hope I haven't given away the true enroute stop,
12- when you mentioned “hub” my mind went directly to QQ (Reno Air), stopping of course in the namesake city, but a quick google search of course revealed the airline hadn’t yet started up ... hence the guess for the former OC hub
Old May 1, 2020, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

4. (1995) To your great disappointment, your son has signed a letter of intent to play for the University of Florida Gators next year, not your beloved Nittany Lions of Penn State. On a positive note, at least there’s a direct one stop flight from your home outside Wilkes-Barre, PA straight down to the Gainesville, Florida airport. Identify the airline, aircraft and the intermediate stop.

8. (1979) You’ve spent the afternoon testifying in front of the House Subcommittee on Transportation and have just received a call from your office informing you that you need to be in Toledo, Ohio for a morning meeting with executives from American Motors Corporation. Your pocket flight guide indicates that the DCA-TOL market just happens to be served by a single nonstop flight departing out of National every evening at 700p. You quickly book a seat and then head down to the Metro for the short ride out to National. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
4. I'm thinking this might be Delta with a B737-200 with a stop at their hub in Atlanta.

8. This sounds like one of the interesting routes operated by Air Florida. If so, the flight may have originated in Florida and I'll guess the equipment was a B737-200.

And back to Delta for the moment.....

DL has now announced they will retire all of their MD-88 and MD-90 aircraft by this June. I believe they were operating 47 MD-88 and 29 MD-90 aircraft in their fleet earlier this year. I also think Delta is the last remaining operator of the MD-90 in scheduled pax service. I remember my first flight on board a Delta MD-90 a number of years ago. The aircraft was brand new and I was in first class from SJC to DFW. I also had the opportunity to talk with the Captain of this flight before we departed San Jose. He stated he liked the aircraft (he was formerly a DC9-30 guy with DL) but also said the airline was experiencing issues with the IAE V2500 series engines on the MD-90. And a friend who worked for Delta back then also had alluded to the engine reliability issue with the aircraft, saying that MD-90 stood for "minimum delay 90 minutes".....
Old May 1, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
11- the tall sculpted window surround panels give this away as a 747 ... the seashells on the wall/bulkhead behind the bar table and the orange color theme make me think of Continental

18. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, which two states are served by just a single jet aircraft type? Identify each state and the jet aircraft type (variant specific, please) that serves it uniquely.
18- building off Q6 (capitol cities) and the associated bonus question, I think one of these is Wyoming which only saw 737-200s (Western, United, Frontier; services were into Casper/CPR as well as Cheyenne/CYS); as for the second, I will speculate that it was Delaware -- Eastern serving Wilmington/ILG with a DC-9-30 (pretty sure the only other commercial service at ILG at that time was on an Allegheny Convair 580)
Old May 1, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bonus Question: Of the state capitals INCORRECTLY listed below, identify which airline(s) and jet(s) served each one.
All we need to finish this question off is the aircraft type TWA flew into Harrisburg
I **seriously** doubt MDT ever saw a four-engine jet airliner (TW 707 or 880), so by default we have the 727-31

ADDITIONAL BONUS QUESTION!!! Of the ... state capitals listed that DID NOT receive jet service in 1970, which ones went on to later be served by jets? Identify the capital, the airline(s) and the aircraft type(s)
Augusta, ME
Concord, NH
Montpelier, VT
Dover, DE
Annapolis, MD
Frankfort, KY
Topeka, KS
Carson City, NV
Olympia, WA
Jefferson City, MO
Trenton, NJ
Santa Fe, NM
St. Paul, MN
I can only come up with three:
  1. Santa Fe (SAF) -- TransTexas DC-9-10 and ExpressJet (United Express / Continental Express) ERJ-135/145
  2. Topeka (FOE) -- Frontier 737-200
  3. Trenton (TTN) -- Eastwind 737-200 and Allegiant MD-80
Old May 1, 2020, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767

I can only come up with three:
  1. Santa Fe (SAF) -- TransTexas DC-9-10 and ExpressJet (United Express / Continental Express) ERJ-135/145
  2. Topeka (FOE) -- Frontier 737-200
  3. Trenton (TTN) -- Eastwind 737-200 and Allegiant MD-80
Several more for the above....

Santa Fe - American Eagle Embraer ERJ-140/145 and Canadair CRJ900. Plus I do not think COEx ERJs ever served SAF (although CO did albeit with the Vickers Viscount turboprop).

Topeka - Midway with the DC9-10

Trenton - I think Allegheny with the DC9-30. Also United mainline service with the B727-200 and B737-200. Plus Eastwind operated the B737-700 as well....and Frontier with the A320.

Last edited by jlemon; May 1, 2020 at 3:41 pm Reason: COEx/CO observation for SAF
Old May 1, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by KT550
You're up early today 2A!

Truth be told, I hadn't gone to bed yet. I was up watching Martin Scorsese's The Aviator with Leonardo DiCaprio. I'd found it in the $5.00 bin at our local Fred Meyers last month and finally got around to watching it. Doubly interesting as I was just reading about Jack Frye, TWA and Hughes' involvement with that airline earlier this week. Unfortunately the movie ended on a 1947 timeline. I would've liked to have seen the drama surrounding the Convair 880. As crazy as Hughes was depicted to be in the late 40s, its a wonder he was still in a position to have influence over anything greater than a choice of cream or sugar with his coffee. In any event, I got to bed at 3:45am.

I thought the in seat lighting might be a TCA feature but interesting you mention it was on United too. Perhaps later models had conventional lighting or earlier models were upgraded.

All of United's standard -8s had the in-seat or seat back lighting with curtains. The -60 series did not, and the curtains had been replaced by shades.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 1, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by cs57
#11 ) American Airlines DC-10?

American, Yes, DC-10 no. That leaves only the 747 as American's -SP's were not lounge equipped. Two major hints for me. First, the window moldings. On early 747s, they were unique with those tall recessed indentations. No other aircraft had anything like them. The second giveaway was the lamps. American employed those silver rounded lamps on both its 747 and DC-10 lounges.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dupe post - see the updated one below...

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 1, 2020 at 6:42 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99
"Okay, so sitting on a major waterway being a capital leaves me with a few choices but the only one that would seem to be reasonably right is St. Paul MN"
Per TB99: I guess most of us would assume St. Paul was served by jets through MSP airport since they are considered the "Twin Cities."
Per Bluehen1: That was my assumption when I added Trenton and Santa Fe.

We have a lot of Minnesotans up here in Alaska and I have visited there often. For those who actually live in Minneapolis, St. Paul is considered by many to be the city across the river and of course, the capital. Indeed, both cities are county seats of their respective and different counties. Twin Cities is a popular moniker given the geographical proximity but each city is indeed its own separate entity with its own local government, etc.

"Well I'll be damned! How did you know that one! I figured it might be out there a while longer. But hey - correct! by the way."

I will admit I saw some of it while doing my research for my next set of questions I am compiling which I am hoping for a 'Round the USA" itinerary.

I gather then that's one leg of the itinerary you'll have to discard. Good luck with the rest!

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 1, 2020 at 3:35 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat2A
Truth be told, I hadn't gone to bed yet. I was up watching Martin Scorsese's The Aviator with Leonardo DiCaprio. I'd found it in the $5.00 bin at our local Fred Meyers last month and finally got around to watching it. Doubly interesting as I was just reading about Jack Frye, TWA and Hughes' involvement with that airline earlier this week. Unfortunately the movie ended on a 1947 timeline. I would've liked to have seen the drama surrounding the Convair 880. As crazy as Hughes was depicted to be in the late 40s, its a wonder he was still in a position to have influence over anything greater than a choice of cream or sugar with his coffee. In any event, I got to bed at 3:45am.
We saw it when it came out in 2005 in a nearby cinema (The Showcase, you see it looking out of the right hand side on final approach to LCY). Not too well attended; when the credits started to roll most everyone left but I wanted to see if any aviation museum had provided the airliners used. They went endlessly on, eventually it is just me, Mrs WHBM , and a retired-age couple, where the guy is obviously doing the same. Periodically I glance at him - did he look like an aviation type. The two women also looked at one another, exchanged sympathetic glances and valiantly pretended not to look bored. Finally it ended, not a mention. Mrs W said he looked like an old pilot. I later discovered that scene at the end with a whole fleet of TWA Connies on the ramp was CGI.

Howard Hughes built up such a relationship between TWA and Hollywood that it was never lost - notice how in many Hollywood films TWA turn up to illustrate an airline scene. American inherited this, and maintained the (apparently) special office in LA that manages it all, one reason for the substantial high-premium AA service on A321s nowadays between JFK and LAX, which is still regarded as a media industry shuttle.

Last edited by WHBM; May 1, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
17: "American and the MD80 are correct, however this flight did not route through SJC. That said, I must apologize as my comment about it routing through a hub airport was a few years too early. Now having said that, I hope I haven't given away the true enroute stop"

When you mentioned “hub” my mind went directly to QQ (Reno Air), stopping of course in the namesake city, but a quick google search of course revealed the airline hadn’t yet started up ... hence the guess for the former OC hub

Hence my apologies. Call it a brain cramp I have those a lot) as my first flight with Reno Air was in 1994. In any event, Reno is the city we're looking for.

American AA 196 Seattle (SEA) 615a-748a B Reno (RNO) 831a-1041a Salt Lake City (SLC) DC-9-80 Daily

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 1, 2020 at 3:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.