Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
19. Since the question is dubious to say longest Commercial flight that is not International, I am going to assume it is to a US territory not in the Continental USA.

I'll open the bidding with a Continental 777 to Guam as it is the territory furthest from the Continental US, Denver was a Continental hub as well as Continental had the Micronesia flights based out of Guam.
Old May 2, 2020, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
18- let’s try Western: since you ruled out the 72S, it would necessarily have been a 737 (I’ll say a -200, since I’m not sure if WA had taken delivery of their -300s yet) to SLC and thence the DC-10

I left out a key qualifier in my earlier answer:
We can also scratch NW, PA, WA, and WO who didn’t serve MCI should have been followed by “from their west coast gateway cities” ... but that would still have caused me to overlook SLC

Last edited by jrl767; May 2, 2020 at 4:22 pm
Old May 2, 2020, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Nothing like a few OTAQ&D questions to spice up the ennui of sheltering in place! We're off to a great start, guys...

As always, please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Answers that include terms like "possibly" or "probably" et al are not acceptable. Please be specific. Thanks!

2. (1985) You’ve had a great weekend in Orlando, FL but before you can return home to Mississippi you first need to attend to some business up in White Plains, NY. Though you were expecting to fly into LaGuardia and rent a car, you’re surprised to find that one airline offers a one stop direct flight to nearby Westchester County Airport that departs Orlando every afternoon except Saturday. Perfect. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

3. (1985) With your business in White Plains completed, it’s time to return home to Jackson, Mississippi. What’s that they say about when you die and go to heaven, you’ll probably connect in Atlanta? Hartsfield sometimes feels like a second home, and not always a happy home at that. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a three stop direct flight from White Plains straight through to Jackson. First Class is available and dinner will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the two stops in order please.

7. (1988) You get around more than most people in your home state of Maine. Indeed, Arkansas is the only state you haven’t yet been to, so when business calls in the form of a sales appointment in Little Rock, you couldn’t be happier. Wrong! You are happier upon discovering a three-stop direct flight departing Bangor each morning. Better yet, it offers First Class! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

9. (1979) Your meeting in Toledo went well and now, with nothing pressing on your engagement calendar for the upcoming weekend, why not head on out to Las Vegas to decompress by the poolside bar at the Tropicana? As luck would have it, there’s a single daily three-stop direct flight departing Toledo tomorrow morning. Breakfast and a snack will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

10. (1998) You need to fly from Indianapolis to Orlando. Due to some recently discovered circulatory problems in your left leg, your doctor has advised you to either avoid flying or, if you must, fly First Class. Well then, First Class it is. Your hometown airline – American Trans Air – does offer a daily nonstop but alas, no First Class. Same goes for Southwest which also offers a daily nonstop. Well dang! Hey! What’s this?! There are two additional airlines that also offer a single nonstop flight between Indy and Orlando and both of those flights offer First Class. Each airline operates a different aircraft type. Identify both airlines and the equipment each uses for these flights.

13. (1985) While the wife and kids fly from Orlando back home to Portland, you’ve got business in Cleveland. From your days of living in Cleveland, you recall that United is probably the airline to call. Indeed, UA does offer a nonstop from Orlando up to Cleveland but the timing doesn’t work. Thankfully, a different airline now also offers a daily nonstop flight between MCO and CLE, and the timing couldn’t be better. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying up to Cleveland.

14. (1995) Although New York City’s three major airports are well served by flights to and from San Juan, PR, the same cannot be said for its outlying airports in White Plains and Newburgh. There are no nonstop or direct flights out of White Plains to anywhere in the Caribbean. Thankfully, Newburgh has one twice weekly one stop direct flight to and from San Juan. That’ll work. Now you can tell your housekeeper Rosa that as a token of your appreciation for all her hard work, you’ll be sending her home to San Juan for a visit with her family. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop for the relevant flight out of Newburgh.
A N S W E R E D

15. (1979) You’re now in Dallas and need to get to Milwaukee for a breakfast conference tomorrow morning. You imagine there should be a good variety of nonstops but are surprised to find mostly multi-stop flights with only a single nonstop that departs DFW in the early evening. That’ll work! Which airline and aircraft type will you be flying upon?
A N S W E R E D

18. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, which two states are served by just a single airline that operates a single jet aircraft type? Identify each state and the airline and jet aircraft type (variant specific, please) that serves it uniquely.
A N S W E R E D

19. (1998) Not counting international flights, what is the longest commercial flight out of Colorado? We’re looking for the route, the airline and the aircraft type.
A N S W E R E D

20. (1989) You need to fly from Newport News, VA to Orlando, FL next Wednesday. Flying anywhere out of PHF generally means a connection, so when your company’s travel office informs you that there’s now a nonstop flight departing Newport News’ Patrick Henry Field that’ll get you into Orlando in the early afternoon, you couldn’t be happier. Book it, please. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

21. (1979) In jlemon’s recent set of questions, you needed to get from Reno across the country to Smoky Mountains National Park. Now, after having hiked a 98 mile section of the Appalachian Trail, it’s time to return to Reno. Your closest airport is still in Knoxville and there just happens to be a 2-stop direct flight departing Knoxville every afternoon, seven days a week. You’ve booked a First Class seat and are already looking forward to that first cold beer after takeoff. Name the airline you’ll be flying upon as well as the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

22. (1988) Good Lord! The heat and humidity of this summer in Atlanta is as bad as it’s ever been and probably worse! Imagine then your surprise and delight when a couple of old friends from college daze call to ask if you’d care to join them on a six day backpacking trip doing the Rae Lakes Loop in King’s Canyon National Park. Whaaaat?!! OMG, Yes!!! You indicate you’ll buy a ticket out and back as soon as you can figure out which airport is closest to Kings Canyon N.P. Following a brief search, you find that there is a single daily direct one-stop flight from Atlanta to the airport you’ll need to fly into. A snack and dinner will be served along the way. Identify that airport as well as the airline, aircraft and the single enroute stop.
A N S W E R E D

23. (1985) Over the years many airlines have operated single class configured aircraft in the busy New York to Los Angeles market. In mid-1985 just one airline operates nonstop flights with them. Identify that airline and the aircraft type it uses.
A N S W E R E D

25. (1995) You and your wife are finally taking that long awaited vacation to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. From your home outside Kansas City, MO you’re not surprised to find there are neither direct nor nonstop flights. You’re gonna have to connect somewhere. Hey! Why not San Diego? You can spend a couple of days with the in-laws at their palatial digs up in La Jolla before continuing on to PVR. There’s a single nonstop each day between MCI and SAN and, as luck would have it, a single nonstop each day between SAN and PVR. Identify each of the relevant airlines and aircraft types operating these flights.
A N S W E R E D

26. (1979) Your favorite hometown guitarist – Steve Kimock – is playing with Martin Fierro and his band The Underdogs at the Garland Theater in Spokane, Washington. You’ve been fortunate enough to have been comped tickets by your buddy, the band’s equipment manager – if you can get there. You call both United and Hughes Airwest but to no avail. Not only are the Underdogs in town but the Pacific Northwest Dry Cleaner’s Symposium is also happening that week. Finally you call a travel agency and are gobsmacked to find a single coach class seat on an airline you never would have considered for a flight from SFO up to GEG. The flight makes one stop but the price is right and you’ll arrive Spokane 2 ½ hours before show time. Name the airline, aircraft and stopover point for this flight.
A N S W E R E D

28. (1985) Finally! Kansas City has a direct one-stop flight to Hawaii! No more long and occasionally annoying connections on the west coast. On the downside, this flight does have a change of gauge at the enroute stop which is almost as bad as a connection. Still, the price is right and so you book a couple of seats. Identify the airline, the connecting point and the two aircraft types involved.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 3, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Old May 2, 2020, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
19. (1998) Not counting international flights, what is the longest commercial flight out of Colorado? We’re looking for the route, the airline and the aircraft type.

Since the question is dubious to say longest Commercial flight that is not International, I am going to assume it is to a US territory not in the Continental USA. I'll open the bidding with a Continental 777 to Guam as it is the territory furthest from the Continental US, Denver was a Continental hub as well as Continental had the Micronesia flights based out of Guam.

Not quite sure where "dubious" fits in re. this not being an international flight (I'm thinking DEN-London), but it's worth noting that I did mention in response to an earlier post that the flight we're looking for IS within the Continental U.S. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32342272-post18660.html.

Please, deposit another quarter and guess again!
Old May 2, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
28. (1985) Finally! Kansas City has a direct one-stop flight to Hawaii! No more long and occasionally annoying connections on the west coast. On the downside, this flight does have a change of gauge at the enroute stop which is almost as bad as a connection. Still, the price is right and so you book a couple of seats. Identify the airline, the connecting point and the two aircraft types involved.

Let’s try Western: since you ruled out the 72S, it would necessarily have been a 737 (I’ll say a -200, since I’m not sure if WA had taken delivery of their -300s yet) to SLC and thence the DC-10

I didn't rule out the 727-100 though...

I left out a key qualifier in my earlier answer:
We can also scratch NW, PA, WA and WO who didn’t serve MCI should have been followed by “from their west coast gateway cities” ... but that would still have caused me to overlook SLC

In my comments on NW, PA, WA and WO - that statement is incorrect because one of those airlines did serve MCI (and we're not talking about Western)

So, SLC is out, as is Western. We know a DC-10 was involved and possibly a 727-100...
Old May 2, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I guess “didn’t rule out the 727-100” means NW over MSP: a 727-51 and a DC-10-40

and my qualifier about service between MCI and west coast gateway cities would have still meant that my list of candidate connecting points didn’t include the one I’m guessing here
Old May 2, 2020, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
22. CO operating ATL-DEN-FAT with an MD-80.
Old May 2, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I guess “didn’t rule out the 727-100” means NW over MSP: a 727-51 and a DC-10-40

and my qualifier about service between MCI and west coast gateway cities would have still meant that my list of candidate connecting points didn’t include the one I’m guessing here
I like it! But alas, it was not Northwest. However, the 727-100 and DC-10 are correct.

We know it was not AA, CO or UA...
Old May 2, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

28- are you telling us that World Airways operated a 727-100 MCI-OAK?!
Old May 2, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Not quite sure where "dubious" fits in re. this not being an international flight (I'm thinking DEN-London), but it's worth noting that I did mention in response to an earlier post that the flight we're looking for IS within the Continental U.S. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32342272-post18660.html.

Please, deposit another quarter and guess again!
Sorry, didn't see that guess and your qualifier. When I mean dubious, there are questions in the past that have said domestic that went to US Territories outside the Continental US. Now the question in hand is asking for the one single commercial flight from Denver and as Boston and Miami are long distances, they are both served out of Denver by multiple airlines, so they both would be a no go. I am going to guess United Airlines to Portland, ME on a DC9-30.
Old May 2, 2020, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow

(1) UA never operated any DC-9 series
(2) PWM-DEN is 1782 miles per gcmap, and there’s NO WAY that a D9S could make that as a revenue flight without serious payload limits (range by itself isn’t an issue; I caught a Space-Available hop on a Navy C-9B that went NAS Alameda to NAS Norfolk with a total of 14 on board)
Old May 2, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
22. (1988) Good Lord! The heat and humidity of this summer in Atlanta is as bad as it’s ever been and probably worse! Imagine then your surprise and delight when a couple of old friends from college daze call to ask if you’d care to join them on a six day backpacking trip doing the Rae Lakes Loop in King’s Canyon National Park. Whaaaat?!! OMG, Yes!!! You indicate you’ll buy a ticket out and back as soon as you can figure out which airport is closest to Kings Canyon N.P. Following a brief search, you find that there is a single daily direct one-stop flight from Atlanta to the airport you’ll need to fly into. A snack and dinner will be served along the way. Identify that airport as well as the airline, aircraft and the single enroute stop.

CO operating ATL-DEN-FAT with an MD-80.

CO is correct, but it's not an MD80. I believe someone submitted a 727-200 from the wrong airline as a possibility earlier, but I neglected to credit the aircraft type. No doubt had I done so, you would have gotten this one earlier. Please accept my heartfelt (well, liver felt at present) apologies. Here's the schedule:

Continental CO 1777 Atlanta (ATL) 350p-512p S Denver (DEN) 545p-710p D Fresno (FAT) 727-200 Daily
P.S. I'm giving some thought to not acknowledging correct aircraft types that are associated with an incorrect airline or route guess. I mean, you guys are all so well versed at this stuff - why make it any easier? In many cases, once you know the aircraft type and from another answer know that the flight routes through XXX, it's oh so easy to put two and two together and come up with the answer. In any event, I'm only giving this some thought at present. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 2, 2020 at 8:35 pm
Old May 2, 2020, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

28- are you telling us that World Airways operated a 727-100 MCI-OAK?!
Yes.
Old May 2, 2020, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
P.S. I'm giving some thought to not acknowledging correct aircraft types that are associated with an incorrect airline or route guess. I mean, you guys are all so well versed at this stuff - why make it any easier? In many cases, once you know the aircraft type and from another answer know that the flight routes through XXX, it's oh so easy to put two and two together and come up with the answer. In any event, I'm only giving this some thought at present. What are your thoughts?
you may recall in some of my recent Quiz questions (generally featuring three or four flights) that I’ve used “Partially Correct” to indicate things like “right airline, wrong segment” ... this is probably more difficult when you’re just dealing with, say, model differences (e.g., 737-300 vs 737-400), but perhaps worth considering ...
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per teddybear99: Sorry, didn't see that guess and your qualifier. When I mean dubious, there are questions in the past that have said domestic that went to US Territories outside the Continental US. Now the question in hand is asking for the one single commercial flight from Denver and as Boston and Miami are long distances, they are both served out of Denver by multiple airlines, so they both would be a no go. I am going to guess United Airlines to Portland, ME on a DC9-30.

Now look what you've gone and done - you done got jrl767 all fired up!

Per jrl767: WOW!
(1) UA never operated any DC-9 series

(2) PWM-DEN is 1782 miles per gcmap, and there’s NO WAY that a D9S could make that as a revenue flight without serious payload limits (range by itself isn’t an issue; I caught a Space-Available hop on a Navy C-9B that went NAS Alameda to NAS Norfolk with a total of 14 on board)

Well that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's good to get fired up now and again! That said, keep in mind that the question addresses flights out of Colorado - not just Denver. The OAG I referenced was from January 1998.

Awright, boys! Go get 'em!!

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 2, 2020 at 9:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.