Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
9. (1979) Your meeting in Toledo went well and now, with nothing pressing on your engagement calendar for the upcoming weekend, why not head on out to Las Vegas to decompress by the poolside bar at the Tropicana? As luck would have it, there’s a single daily three-stop direct flight departing Toledo tomorrow morning. Breakfast and a snack will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

Hmmmm....well, I don't think it was Amarillo. So let's go with Phoenix as being stop # 3 instead of ABQ, Monty!

I hear ya, JL, but NO! It wasn't Phoenix which means it must have been... (tap, tap, tap...)
Old May 6, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
13. (1985) While the wife and kids fly back home to Portland, you’ve got business in Cleveland. From your days of living in Cleveland, you recall that United is probably the airline to call. Indeed, UA does offer a nonstop from Orlando up to Cleveland but the timing doesn’t work. Thankfully, a different airline now also offers a daily nonstop flight between MCO and CLE, and the timing couldn’t be better. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying up to Cleveland.

I'll go with Midway on a 737-200

Midway and the 737-200 is correct! Here's the schedule

Midway ML 530 Orlando (MCO) 250p-510p S Cleveland (CLE) 737-200 Daily

20. (1989) You need to fly from Newport News, VA to Orlando, FL next Wednesday. Flying anywhere out of PHF generally means a connection, so when your company’s travel office informs you that there’s now a nonstop flight departing Newport News’ Patrick Henry Field that’ll get you into Orlando in the early afternoon, you couldn’t be happier. Book it, please. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

I will go with Air Tran also on a 737-200

When it comes to late 1980s operations out of Orlando to secondary cities, Air Tran is always a good call. This case however is a rare instance where we're looking for a different airline and aircraft. Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 6, 2020 at 4:41 pm
Old May 6, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
9. Well, well....perhaps ol' T-dub was indeed operating nonstop 727 service from Amarillo to Vegas......

So let's go with TOL - STL - ICT - AMA - LAS.
Old May 6, 2020, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
9. (1979) Your meeting in Toledo went well and now, with nothing pressing on your engagement calendar for the upcoming weekend, why not head on out to Las Vegas to decompress by the poolside bar at the Tropicana? As luck would have it, there’s a single daily three-stop direct flight departing Toledo tomorrow morning. Breakfast and a snack will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

Well, well....perhaps ol' T-dub was indeed operating nonstop 727 service from Amarillo to Vegas...... So let's go with TOL - STL - ICT - AMA - LAS.

That's the one we're lookin' for, pardner! Here's the schedule:

TWA TW 453 Toledo (TOL) 750a-813a B St. Louis (STL) 847a-1000a B Wichita (ICT) 1025a-1120a Amarillo (AMA) 1145a-1138a S Las Vegas (LAS) 727-100 Daily
Old May 7, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: BA
First sign of normality :)

First movements in, and another out, of LCY for 6 weeks. Scheduled services restarting on June 1.

Old May 7, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

10. (1998) You need to fly from Indianapolis to Orlando. Due to some recently discovered circulatory problems in your left leg, your doctor has advised you to either avoid flying or, if you must, fly First Class. Well then, First Class it is. Your hometown airline – American Trans Air – does offer a daily nonstop but alas, no First Class. Same goes for Southwest which also offers a daily nonstop. Well dang! Hey! What’s this?! There are two additional airlines that also offer a single nonstop flight between Indy and Orlando and both of those flights offer First Class. Each airline operates a different aircraft type. Identify both airlines and the equipment each uses for these flights.
I am going to throw another guess out to this question. How about US Air as they used Indianapolis as a hub in the late 80's/early 90's and it was a focus city after that. Probably on a 737. My other guess was Air Tran again, but I don't think they had first class. It would also be on a 737.

For #20, I have another guess. Carnival on a 727-200
Old May 7, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
First movements in, and another out, of LCY for 6 weeks. Scheduled services restarting on June 1.

Well, that's encouraging news!
Old May 7, 2020, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99
10. (1998) You need to fly from Indianapolis to Orlando. Due to some recently discovered circulatory problems in your left leg, your doctor has advised you to either avoid flying or, if you must, fly First Class. Well then, First Class it is. Your hometown airline – American Trans Air – does offer a daily nonstop but alas, no First Class. Same goes for Southwest which also offers a daily nonstop. Well dang! Hey! What’s this?! There are two additional airlines that also offer a single nonstop flight between Indy and Orlando and both of those flights offer First Class. Each airline operates a different aircraft type. Identify both airlines and the equipment each uses for these flights.

How about US Air as they used Indianapolis as a hub in the late 80's/early 90's and it was a focus city after that. Probably on a 737. My other guess was Air Tran again, but I don't think they had first class. It would also be on a 737.

Way to get this one started, TB! US Air is indeed one of the airlines we're looking for, however it did not employ a 737 of any variant on this route. The other airline we're looking for did use a 737, however it wasn't Air Tran.
Here's a hint as to the other airline - it only operated one type of jet.

20. (1989) You need to fly from Newport News, VA to Orlando, FL next Wednesday. Flying anywhere out of PHF generally means a connection, so when your company’s travel office informs you that there’s now a nonstop flight departing Newport News’ Patrick Henry Field that’ll get you into Orlando in the early afternoon, you couldn’t be happier. Book it, please. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

I have another guess. Carnival on a 727-200

A good guess there, but it was not Carnival either. The same hint supplied above also applies to this airline - it only operates one aircraft type and it's not a Boeing.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And then there were two...

A N S W E R E D

It's not BN with a BAC-111, nor is it Carnival with a 727. The airline we're looking for operated just a single jet aircraft type not built by Boeing. The PHF-MCO route was an outlier route for them.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 7, 2020 at 4:31 pm
Old May 7, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
10- let's try US with a Fokker 100, and Midway for the 737 operator (-700)
Old May 7, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
US Air has been correctly identified. It did not operate 737 on this route. The other airline - yet to be identified - did.

Let's try US with a Fokker 100, and Midway for the 737 operator (-700)

Oooo, the Fokker... I almost forgot about that one! The last two I've flown on were operated by Australian airlines. Never got to fly US Air's or American's - only Midway's. Back to your answer though, it wasn't the Fokker for US Air. So that leaves... Midway was not the other 737 operator. However, the airline in question was based in the same region of the U.S.
Old May 7, 2020, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
10- "it wasn't the Fokker for US Air. So that leaves..." an ex-PSA MadDog? I didn't think they were retrofitted with F, but I never flew one in US livery after 1989 ... interesting that you managed to miss the 100 on both US and AA; those were the ONLY ones I got to experience.

an IND-MCO operator, with a 737, based in the southeastern U.S. ... 1998 is too early for Hooters Air; Delta Express was all-Y, but mainline DL still had the ex-Western -300s ... it's an oddball route, but what's this Quiz about besides non-routine answers
Old May 7, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

US Air has been correctly identified. It did not operate 737 on this route. The other airline - yet to be identified - did.

It wasn't the Fokker for US Air. So that leaves.. an ex-PSA MadDog? I didn't think they were retrofitted with F, but I never flew one in US livery after 1989 ...

Correct! US Air did indeed retrofit its MD80s with dual-class configurations. Given the size and range of the MD80, my guess is it was too versatile of an airplane to operate in a regional configuration. Here's the US Air schedule...

US Air 1904 Indianapolis (IND) 810a-1019a B Orlando (MCO) MD-80

An IND-MCO operator, with a 737, based in the southeastern U.S. ... 1998 is too early for Hooters Air; Delta Express was all-Y, but mainline DL still had the ex-Western -300s ... it's an oddball route, but what's this Quiz about besides non-routine answers

Sorry - I should have been more specific. By same area of the country, I was speaking in a general sense of Indiana and the surrounding region (300 mile radius). It was not Delta but it was a short lived airline...
Old May 7, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10- a short-lived 737 operator based within ~300 miles of IND ... the only one that I can think of would be Pro Air, which ran -400s from their hub at Detroit City/DET ... but again, I have a hard time imagining them offering two-cabin service
Old May 7, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A short-lived 737 operator based within ~300 miles of IND ... the only one that I can think of would be Pro Air, which ran -400s from their hub at Detroit City/DET ... but again, I have a hard time imagining them offering two-cabin service

Oh, but they did - and always did, so far as I know. Those auto company executives they catered to enjoyed their perks as well. Anyway, Pro Air is the one we're looking for, operating with a 737-400. Good call!

Pro Air P9 610 Indianapolis (IND) 825a-1035a S Orlando (MCO) 737-400 Sa only

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.