Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old May 10, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
41- pa 707, csa (ok) il-62

I have tried three times now to get capital letters to stick :/
Old May 10, 2020, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
We're making good progress here. For any of you new to the festivities, please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Ready? Set? Go!

32. (1989) Your family loves to ski. Unfortunately quality ski opportunities are difficult to come by in Minnesota so this year you’ve headed off to Killington, Vermont. Unfortunately, getting back home to the Twin Cities will not be as easy as it was getting to Vermont. Your flight from Burlington to Minneapolis makes 2 enroute stops. At least a snack is served along the way. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

34. (1995) You’ve always had family on both coasts. You live on Long Island while your wife’s family is from Sacramento, CA. Back in the “Good old days” United used to run a one-stop DC-8 routing JFK-SLC-SMF. That flight lasted through most of the 1970s and then pffft! It disappeared leaving your only options a connection through one or more cities along the way. Well, happy days are here again with the arrival of a new one-stop direct flight that departs early each morning from nearby LaGuardia airport. Sadly it’s the only direct flight from any NY airport to SMF, but hey! That beats nothin’ and is worth getting up early for. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
A N S W E R E D

35. (1988) Once upon a time, there were lots of relatively short 747 flights within the continental United States. We’re talking segments under 1000 miles in length. Anyway, that was then. These days I’ve found just three segments under 1000 miles being flown by 747s in the continental U.S. For this question, we’re looking to identify just the shortest segment and the airline that flies it.
It wasn't NW on the ORD-MSP route. It was over 100 miles shorter

36. (1979) It’s been a great weekend in Las Vegas but now duty calls in Baltimore. You’ve got a late afternoon appointment in Glen Burnie and it just so happens that there’s a one-stop redeye that’ll get you into Baltimore mid-morning. Your ability to sleep on airplanes is legendary, so this flight will be perfect! Identify the airline, aircraft and the stop.

37. (1979) After having traveled from Baltimore to Pittsburgh by train, you join an old friend from Carnegie Mellon University to watch the Steelers take on their arch rivals, the Cleveland Browns. The next day is a travel day requiring you to head across country to Seattle, Washington. Unfortunately, US Air is still a couple years away from offering nonstop flights in this market, but thankfully there is a single daily one-stop direct flight. Better yet, it’s a morning departure and it’s got a First Class seat available. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

38. (1998) You’re seated aboard the only flight between New York and Las Vegas that markets a Business Class or “C” class seat. Well what the heck – it’s cheaper than everyone else’s First Class so you’ve decided to splurge! Identify the airline and aircraft you’re flying aboard.

39. (1979) Between San Juan, PR and Miami, almost all of the mostly daily flights are operated with wide-bodied equipment. Only one airline serves this route exclusively with narrow-bodied equipment (2 daily flights). Identify that airline as well as the aircraft type it utilizes.

40. (1988) From your home outside St. Louis, MO you need to fly back to Long Island for your 10th high school reunion at Connetquot High School. These days there’s a lot more service into nearby Long Island MacArthur Airport than there used to be, though you’re disappointed to find none from hometown airline TWA. Thankfully, the STL-ISP route is served by a single daily two-stop flight, so you quickly book a seat before pondering which clothes will make you look thinnest at the reunion. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order.

41. (1979) After a week of studying archaeological artifacts recently discovered in Mexico City’s Chapultepec Park, it’s time to return home to your work in the Department of Anthropology at the Universit de Montral. Iberia offers a nonstop flight but it’s sold out all week. Thankfully your Qubcois tinged Spanish is good enough to have netted you a newly expired OAG from the travel agency located downstairs in your hotel lobby. A thorough perusal of its pages allows you to cobble together an exciting three flight routing up to Montreal involving three different airlines operating three different aircraft types, each built by a different manufacturer. Each of the airlines is also its country’s main flag carrier. As an added bonus, you can complete the entire trip in a single day. Identify the three airlines, the aircraft type each flies and the routing of this trip. Buena suerte!
A N S W E R E D

43. (1989) It used to bethat the only airline offering flights between Albuquerque and Tucson was Frontier. You still have fond memories of dressing up to fly to Tucson aboard a new 727 Arrow Jet back in 1967. These days Frontier has passed into history and the ABQ-TUS market is now served by two airlines, each offering two daily nonstop flights. Identify those airlines and the aircraft each operates on its flights.

44. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the longest Convair 880 flight in North America?
It's not JFK-PHX

45. (1995) Duty calls in the form of a sales call next week out in Albuquerque, New Mexico. From your home office in New Orleans, you figure you’ll probably have to connect in Houston or Dallas but are pleased to find a one stop direct flight that departs New Orleans each morning and arrives in Albuquerque with plenty of time left in the day to complete your business. You ask your secretary to book you a seat and then return your attention to the Metairie project.
It's not Southwest

46. (1985) You’ve been invited to join friends for a party at their condo near Mt. Lemmon, the southernmost ski destination in the continental United States. Last year you went on a ski trip to Aspen but your skis stayed behind in Denver and didn’t arrive until the day after you’d departed Aspen. Once you’ve located the closest airport to Mt. Lemmon you’re understandably thankful to discover a single daily direct flight departing Spokane’s Geiger Field every afternoon. It makes three stops along the way, but hey – no connections! By now you know the drill – airline, aircraft and stops. In order, please.
A N S W E R E D

47. (1988) It had been a nice ride thus far – as buses go. You’d boarded the Grey Dog in Wilmington, DE earlier this evening and were headed to Scranton, PA when suddenly the driver came on over the PA and announced that there was some kind of a problem with the engine and he’d have to get off the road. Thankfully he was able to do so at a Sunoco Travel Plaza just off I-95 on the outskirts of Philadelphia. He then contacted dispatch on his radio only to be informed that a replacement bus wouldn’t be available until sometime after 11:30pm. Whaaat? No way! You need to be in Scranton before midnight! Maybe you could fly there. You call US Air whose agent informs you that their last flight of the night between Philly and AVP departs in 12 minutes. However, she’s kind enough to let you know that another airline has a flight departing Philly in about an hour and half, with a jet no less. Calls to that airline and then a taxi company prove fruitful and soon you’re on your way to AVP in First Class no less, courtesy of the FN/YN designated flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you’re flying upon.

48. (1998) If you want to fly out of Las Vegas aboard a DC-9-30, only one airline fits the bill, offering service to a single destination. Identify the airline and the destination city served.

49. (1989) Your old college buddy from Carnegie Mellon University has called to let you know he’s recently come upon a pair of tickets to this weekend’s Steelers game against the Patriots. Wanna go?! Hmm… A quick check of the schedules shows a single airline offering two daily direct flights between your hometown airport in Melbourne, FL and Pittsburgh. Both flights make the same two stops along the way, and in terms of total travel time either one would time out about the same as if you’d made a 1.5 hour connection in Atlanta. You decide to book a seat on the early evening flight and call your buddy with the good news. Name the airline, the aircraft and the two stops. And if you’re really up for it, the score of the game.

53. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the shortest flight in the U.S. operated with a 747?
It's not JFK-BOS. It's longer

57. (1998) From your home in Scottsdale, Arizona you need to travel to Montreal, Quebec for a symposium on light rail options and operations hosted by Bombardier, one of the world's largest companies in the rail vehicle and equipment manufacturing and servicing industry. With plenty of time available to you before the symposium, you decide to have a bit of fun with your flights out to Montreal. To wit, you’ve found a combination of flights that will allow you to
  • Fly between PHX and YMX aboard a 727, 737 and 747 in that order
  • Both the 727 and 737 flights will be in all-economy configurations with only the 747 offering premium class seating
  • The 727 and 737 flights are not variant specific
It’s worth noting that given the departure point of the 747 into YMX, one and only one routing meets the specifications outlined above, especially given the use of single class configured aircraft. BTW, you will overnight at the final connection point though this shouldn’t have any bearing on the parameters described above. Good luck, men!

58. (1988) You’ve had a great week of sailboarding around the Bahamas and now it’s time to return home to Nashville. Your trip out to Nassau involved a couple of connections, but on the way home you’ll be on a direct flight – albeit one that makes two enroute stops. That’s fine by you – there’ll be less chances to damage or lose your rad sailboard. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order please.

60. (1979) Cleveland can be particularly dreary in the winter, so one can only imagine your excitement to be headed down to sunny Acapulco this weekend. Thankfully, you won’t have to make any connections either because there’s a single direct flight between Cleveland and Acapulco that makes two enroute stops. Name the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 11, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Old May 10, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
moving on here ...
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
53. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the shortest flight in the U.S. operated with a 747?
53-I don’t believe PA had upgauged the DL interchange (ATL-IAD-LHR) from a DC-8, or their SFO-LAX-Central America flights from a 707; moreover, I don’t recall either PA or Northwest doing LAX-SFO tags on TPACs or HNL routes this early ... a few years later, TWA 747s were regulars on BOS-JFK, so I think I’ll start with that

34. (1995) You’ve always had family on both coasts. You live on Long Island while your wife’s family is from Sacramento, CA. Back in the “Good old days” United used to run a one-stop DC-8 routing JFK-SLC-SMF. That flight lasted through most of the 1970s and then pffft! It disappeared leaving your only options a connection through one or more cities along the way. Well, happy days are here again with the arrival of a new one-stop direct flight that departs early each morning from nearby LaGuardia airport. Sadly it’s the only direct flight from any NY airport to SMF, but hey! That beats nothin’ and is worth getting up early for. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

34- this could be any of the majors; I was initially going to try to eliminate one or two based on the LGA perimeter rule, but quickly realized that wasn’t going to help at all

in 1995 the least common aircraft at SMF would have been wide-body jets, but the most likely 767 operator (UA) was mentioned in the story line ... just because I don’t remember TWA running a 767 from St. Louis/STL, that doesn’t mean there wasn’t a time that they did, and LGA is certainly an airport that would have justified 180 early-morning seats to the hub ... that’s my opening salvo
Old May 10, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
41. (1979)After a week of studying archeological artifacts recently discovered in Mexico City’s Chapultepec Park, it’s time to return home to your work in the Department of Anthropology at the Universit de Montral. Iberia offers a nonstop flight but it’s sold out all week. Thankfully your Qubcois tinged Spanish is good enough to have netted you a newly expired OAG from the travel agency located downstairs in your hotel lobby. A thorough perusal of its pages allows you to cobble together an exciting three flight routing up to Montreal involving three different airlines operating three different aircraft types, each built by a different manufacturer. Each of the airlines is also its country’s main flag carrier. As an added bonus, you can complete the entire trip in a single day. Identify the three airlines, the aircraft type each flies and the routing of this trip. Buena suerte!

PA 707 Correct!
CSA (OK) IL-62 Incorrect

And if it's not CSA or Aeroflot, then it must be...

I have tried three times now to get capital letters to stick :/

What?! Only three times?! More like 3000 times over the years Not to worry - I'm happy to clean it all up for you before re-posting!
jlemon likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so it has to be LOT

you’ve made it abundantly clear that you don’t want to make follow-up guesses TOO easy, but I’d appreciate a bit more consistency with the “partial credit” paradigm —
Exhibit A, from about 28 hours ago (Post 18787)

41-although I initially came up with MEX-LAX-JFK-YMX (Aeromexico DC8, TWA L-1011, and LOT IL-62), the schedules probably wouldn’t satisfy the “complete the trip in a single day” constraint; given that, “main flag carriers of three different countries” very strongly suggests a Caribbean routing

Exhibit B, your reply a couple hours later (Post 18790)
Way to get this one off to a great start, J! Truth be told, you were a lot closer with your first guess but you'll need to re-do the routing. Aeromexico was indeed one of the carriers and if you think about its entry points into the US I think you'll clean this one up fairly easily.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I dont believe PA had upgauged the DL interchange (ATL-IAD-LHR) from a DC-8, or their SFO-LAX-Central America flights from a 707; moreover, I dont recall either PA or Northwest doing LAX-SFO tags on TPACs or HNL routes this early ... a few years later, TWA 747s were regulars on BOS-JFK, so I think Ill start with that.

Over the years, TWA did indeed employ its 747 fairly regularly on the JFK-BOS route, but alas, not per the OAG I used to reference this question. So then, we continue to look for a different, longer route

34. (1995) Youve always had family on both coasts. You live on Long Island while your wifes family is from Sacramento, CA. Back in the Good old days United used to run a one-stop DC-8 routing JFK-SLC-SMF. That flight lasted through most of the 1970s and then pffft! It disappeared leaving your only options a connection through one or more cities along the way. Well, happy days are here again with the arrival of a new one-stop direct flight that departs early each morning from nearby LaGuardia airport. Sadly its the only direct flight from any NY airport to SMF, but hey! That beats nothin and is worth getting up early for. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

This could be any of the majors; I was initially going to try to eliminate one or two based on the LGA perimeter rule, but quickly realized that wasnt going to help at all. In 1995 the least common aircraft at SMF would have been wide-body jets, but the most likely 767 operator (UA) was mentioned in the story line ... just because I dont remember TWA running a 767 from St. Louis/STL, that doesnt mean there wasnt a time that they did, and LGA is certainly an airport that would have justified 180 early-morning seats to the hub ... thats my opening salvo.

Good call, J - TWA it is! However, the aircraft is not a 767. This should be a tap-in for you at this stage...
Old May 10, 2020, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

41. (1979) After a week of studying archeological artifacts recently discovered in Mexico City’s Chapultepec Park, it’s time to return home to your work in the Department of Anthropology at the Universit de Montral. Iberia offers a nonstop flight but it’s sold out all week. Thankfully your Qubcois tinged Spanish is good enough to have netted you a newly expired OAG from the travel agency located downstairs in your hotel lobby. A thorough perusal of its pages allows you to cobble together an exciting three flight routing up to Montreal involving three different airlines operating three different aircraft types, each built by a different manufacturer. Each of the airlines is also its country’s main flag carrier. As an added bonus, you can complete the entire trip in a single day. Identify the three airlines, the aircraft type each flies and the routing of this trip. Buena suerte!

So it has to be LOT

Indeed it does. So then, here's the full schedule:

Mexico City (MEX) AM 410 830a-1220p DC-8 B Miami (MIA) PA 504 230p-515p 707 S New York (JFK) LO 16 700p-805p IL-62 Tu Fr Montreal (YMX)

You’ve made it abundantly clear that you don’t want to make follow-up guesses TOO easy, but I’d appreciate a bit more consistency with the “partial credit” paradigm —

What's a "paradigm"? And when it comes to easy follow ups - it don't get much easier than this one above. Way to stick with it and work it out
Old May 10, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

44. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the longest Convair 880 flight in North America?
44. Well, I think this might be either Delta or TWA. I also assume you are looking for the longest nonstop Convair 880 flight here as opposed to a service that made one or more stops. And as I believe Trans World was operating more in the way of transcontinental nonstops (or almost transcontinental in this case) at this particular time, let's go with TWA operating an 880 nonstop from Phoenix to New York JFK.
Old May 10, 2020, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Well, I think this might be either Delta or TWA. I also assume you are looking for the longest nonstop Convair 880 flight here as opposed to a service that made one or more stops. And as I believe Trans World was operating more in the way of transcontinental nonstops (or almost transcontinental in this case) at this particular time, let's go with TWA operating an 880 nonstop from Phoenix to New York JFK.

I seem to remember seeing 880s scheduled on this route, in addition to LAS-JFK. However, per the OAG I'm using to reference this question, we're looking for a different route. TWA is the airline of record though...

Please, guess again!
Old May 10, 2020, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
46. (1985) Youve been invited to join friends for a party at their condo near Mt. Lemmon, the southernmost ski destination in the continental United States. Last year you went on a ski trip to Aspen but your skis stayed behind in Denver and didnt arrive until the day after youd departed Aspen. Once youve located the closest airport to Mt. Lemmon youre understandably thankful to discover a single daily direct flight departing Spokanes Geiger Field every afternoon. It makes three stops along the way, but hey no connections! By now you know the drill airline, aircraft and stops. In order, please.
Western sounds like a pretty good candidate here. Perhaps WA with a 72S routing GEG-BOI-SLC-PHX-TUS?
Old May 10, 2020, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
46. (1985) Youve been invited to join friends for a party at their condo near Mt. Lemmon, the southernmost ski destination in the continental United States. Last year you went on a ski trip to Aspen but your skis stayed behind in Denver and didnt arrive until the day after youd departed Aspen. Once youve located the closest airport to Mt. Lemmon youre understandably thankful to discover a single daily direct flight departing Spokanes Geiger Field every afternoon. It makes three stops along the way, but hey no connections! By now you know the drill airline, aircraft and stops. In order, please.

Western sounds like a pretty good candidate here. Perhaps WA with a 72S routing GEG-BOI-SLC-PHX-TUS?

I agree. But then - what do I know? In this case, it's another airline that offers the only direct flight from Spokane, albeit with a 72S and with PHX being the final stop. Please, guess again!
Old May 11, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a couple of TWA answers ... one tap-in, and one that I'm reasonably sure of:
34- LGA-STL-SMF, TW, not a 767 ... by 1995 TW's 72S fleet was pretty much down to sub-1000-mile trips, so this had to have been a MadDog
44- 1970, one of their other long 880 trips was LAX-PIT
Old May 11, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

46. (1985) You’ve been invited to join friends for a party at their condo near Mt. Lemmon, the southernmost ski destination in the continental United States. Last year you went on a ski trip to Aspen but your skis stayed behind in Denver and didn’t arrive until the day after you’d departed Aspen. Once you’ve located the closest airport to Mt. Lemmon you’re understandably thankful to discover a single daily direct flight departing Spokane’s Geiger Field every afternoon. It makes three stops along the way, but hey – no connections! By now you know the drill – airline, aircraft and stops. In order, please.
46. Once upon a time while driving from Pasadena, CA to Austin, TX I attempted to cruise up to Mt. Lemmon while passing through Tucson during the winter months. However, at the base of the mountain road there was a law enforcement check point. So I stopped, of course, and the following conversation ensued: "Good morning, sir. Do you have tire chains?" "Ah....no....." "Well then, you need to go back into town and get some." "Thank you", I replied and then turned around and headed for Interstate 10 east. I never did make it up to Mt. Lemmon by car......but I did get to see the summit the next summer from my window seat as the Continental B727-200 I was on board en route from Austin to LAX via stops at Midland/Odessa at El Paso swooped over Mt. Lemmon as we prepared to land at Tucson on a beautiful afternoon.

So we know the aircraft in question was a 72S and the last stop was PHX. Therefore, I'll guess this was Northwest with stops at Seattle, San Francisco and Phoenix.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... when it comes to easy follow ups - it don't get much easier than this
with respect to my initial thinking (the previously cited "Exhibit A"; admittedly, not my formal guess): of nine elements in the correct answer (three airlines, three aircraft types, two connecting airports, and the arrival airport), I actually identified six (two airlines, two aircraft types, one connecting airport, and the arrival airport) ... I guess I had expected acknowledgement (the previously cited "Exhibit B") of more than just the one airline

I might have arrived at the answer a bit sooner, and with quite a bit less "What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks?!" frustration

... consistency with the “partial credit” paradigm —
What's a "paradigm"?
various online definitions include:
  • "standard"
  • "widely accepted example"
  • "pattern"
  • "way of doing something"

it's really not that big a deal ... the Quiz is tremendously entertaining, a source of very intriguing bits and pieces of information, and WAY too much of a time sink when I should ostensibly be working

anyway, here's a paradigm shift
Old May 11, 2020, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A couple of TWA answers ... one tap-in, and one that I'm reasonably sure of:

LGA-STL-SMF, TW, not a 767 ... by 1995 TW's 72S fleet was pretty much down to sub-1000-mile trips, so this had to have been a MadDog

Somebody ate their Wheaties this morning. Way to flesh it out, J! The MD80 is correct!

TWA TW 253 New York (LGA) 645a-821a B St. Louis (STL) 930a-1156a B Sacramento (SMF) MD-80 Daily

By
1970, one of their other long 880 trips was LAX-PIT

Yes it was, and indeed TWA did once operate the 880 on this 2,130 mile route. When I came up with this question I remember checking all the usual suspects of which this route was one. Indeed TWA may have run an 880 on this route earlier in the year but per the schedule I referenced, the two daily TWA flights between PIT and LAX (or vice versa, factoring in the possibility of an eastbound trip with the winds) were operated by a 707 and a B7F. I'm guessing the "707" designation would be the non-turbofan powered 707-331 as opposed to the turbofan powered 707-131B. I flew both heading back and forth to school on the DEN-JFK route in the 70s. I even logged a flight on a beautiful B3F which continued on to Zurich after dropping me off at JFK on a sunny New Year's Day in 1972.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.