Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
2. (1985) You’ve had a great weekend in Orlando, FL but before you can return home to Mississippi you first need to attend to some business up in White Plains, NY. Though you were expecting to fly into LaGuardia and rent a car, you’re surprised to find that one airline offers a one stop direct flight to nearby Westchester County Airport that departs Orlando every afternoon except Saturday. Perfect. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
2- my first thought was Air Florida with a tag-on from Washington National, but QH had gone out of business the previous year ... how about USAir running a DC-9-30 via Pittsburgh/PIT

3. (1985) With your business in White Plains completed, it’s time to return home to Jackson, Mississippi. What’s that they say about when you die and go to heaven, you’ll probably connect in Atlanta? Hartsfield sometimes feels like a second home, and not always a happy home at that. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a three stop direct flight from White Plains straight through to Jackson. First Class is available and dinner will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the two stops in order please.

3- please clarify the number of stops ... my guess for a two-stop operation is Republic, operating a DC-9-30 via Detroit/DTW and Memphis/MEM

Last edited by jrl767; May 4, 2020 at 12:29 pm
Old May 4, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687
21. (1979) In jlemon’s recent set of questions, you needed to get from Reno across the country to Smoky Mountains National Park. Now, after having hiked a 98 mile section of the Appalachian Trail, it’s time to return to Reno. Your closest airport is still in Knoxville and there just happens to be a 2-stop direct flight departing Knoxville every afternoon, seven days a week. You’ve booked a First Class seat and are already looking forward to that first cold beer after takeoff. Name the airline you’ll be flying upon as well as the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

This is a good candidate for UA's 727s between California and the Southeast. I will guess UA 727 operating TYS-HSV-LAX-RNO.

If I didn't know better, I too would have gone with United, and I like your routing, too - very plausible. That said, as the all knowing and omnipotent quiz moderator (for now at least) it is my unfortunate duty to inform you that we're still looking for a different airline operating its 727-100 along an entirely different route.

Please, do guess again!
Old May 4, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
2. (1985) You’ve had a great weekend in Orlando, FL but before you can return home to Mississippi you first need to attend to some business up in White Plains, NY. Though you were expecting to fly into LaGuardia and rent a car, you’re surprised to find that one airline offers a one stop direct flight to nearby Westchester County Airport that departs Orlando every afternoon except Saturday. Perfect. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

My first thought was Air Florida with a tag-on from Washington National, but QH had gone out of business the previous year ... how about USAir running a DC-9-30 via Pittsburgh/PIT?

Alas, it is not US Air, but between route and/or aircraft type your answer is partially correct. (and very close!) Please, guess again!

3. (1985) With your business in White Plains completed, it’s time to return home to Jackson, Mississippi. What’s that they say about when you die and go to heaven, you’ll probably connect in Atlanta? Hartsfield sometimes feels like a second home, and not always a happy home at that. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a three stop direct flight from White Plains straight through to Jackson. First Class is available and dinner will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three stops in order please.

Please clarify the number of stops ... my guess for a two-stop operation is Republic, operating a DC-9-30 via Detroit/DTW and Memphis/MEM

Sorry about that, J - it's three stops. Although Republic is not the airline we're looking for, MEM was indeed one of the stops (but not with a D9S)

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 4, 2020 at 3:23 pm
Old May 4, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
2- I think I’ll migrate my q3 answer up a step: RC D9S via DTW

3- the fact that MEM is on the routing makes me think this was United, who would have been running a 737-200 down from Chicago/ORD; a stop between HPN and ORD would almost certainly have been along I-90 in upstate New York (Cleveland/CLE would mean three sub-500-mile legs, each likely too short for dinner service) ... I’ll start the guessing with Albany/ALB as the longest option
Old May 4, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think I’ll migrate my q3 answer up a step: RC D9S via DTW

Alas, it is not Republic. In one regard, you were closer with your previous answer....

3. (1985) With your business in White Plains completed, it’s time to return home to Jackson, Mississippi. What’s that they say about when you die and go to heaven, you’ll probably connect in Atlanta? Hartsfield sometimes feels like a second home, and not always a happy home at that. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a three stop direct flight from White Plains straight through to Jackson. First Class is available and dinner will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three stops in order please.

The fact that MEM is on the routing makes me think this was United, who would have been running a 737-200 down from Chicago/ORD; a stop between HPN and ORD would almost certainly have been along I-90 in upstate New York (Cleveland/CLE would mean three sub-500-mile legs, each likely too short for dinner service) ... I’ll start the guessing with Albany/ALB as the longest option

You're on the right track here, J - United with its 737-200 routing through Chicago and Memphis is correct. However, the stop between HPN and ORD was not on the I-90 corridor. Come south a bit. It was a short first flight.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2- "closer" as in geography? intermediate stop being east of PIT rather than northwest? the only other D9S operator that comes to mind is New York Air, but the "short flight" reference is in q3 ... oh, nvm, "partially correct" must mean DCA

3- "short first flight" ... well. I figure that has to be another of the NYC Metro Area airports, because Hartford/BDL would be more east than south, and it's also reasonably close to I-90 (Mass Pike, running through Springfield) ... start the bidding with Newark/EWR
Old May 4, 2020, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

21. (1979) In jlemon’s recent set of questions, you needed to get from Reno across the country to Smoky Mountains National Park. Now, after having hiked a 98 mile section of the Appalachian Trail, it’s time to return to Reno. Your closest airport is still in Knoxville and there just happens to be a 2-stop direct flight departing Knoxville every afternoon, seven days a week. You’ve booked a First Class seat and are already looking forward to that first cold beer after takeoff. Name the airline you’ll be flying upon as well as the aircraft and the two enroute stops.
21. Let's try TWA operating a B727-100 with a routing of Knoxville - St. Louis - Denver - Reno.
Old May 4, 2020, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

"Closer" as in geography? Intermediate stop being east of PIT rather than northwest? The only other D9S operator that comes to mind is New York Air, but the "short flight" reference is in q3 ... oh, nvm, "partially correct" must mean DCA

New York Air and the DC-9-30 is correct. You already mentioned DCA on your first go around. It's not DCA but it's close. So then, what's it gonna be to finish this one off?

3. (1985) With your business in White Plains completed, it’s time to return home to Jackson, Mississippi. What’s that they say about when you die and go to heaven, you’ll probably connect in Atlanta? Hartsfield sometimes feels like a second home, and not always a happy home at that. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a three stop direct flight from White Plains straight through to Jackson. First Class is available and not one but two dinners will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the two stops in order please.
c
"Short first flight" ... Well. I figure that has to be another of the NYC Metro Area airports, because Hartford/BDL would be more east than south, and it's also reasonably close to I-90 (Mass Pike, running through Springfield) ... start the bidding with Newark/EWR

Nope, it ain't Newark. Head west, old boy!

FINALLY, it looks like at this point it's just you and me here, so I'm going to grant an exemption to the terms of engagement and offer you an additional question for a total of three if you like. This goes for today only. If indeed nothing changes tomorrow, we'll re-visit this again then.
Old May 4, 2020, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2- “close” to DCA means I have a 50% probability of a correct guess, but it also means there’s a 100% probability that we’ll know the answer shortly afterwards

my only NY flight was DCA-LGA in 1984; just because I don’t remember them at Baltimore/BWI in 1985 doesn’t mean they weren’t flying there, but I tend to think Dulles/IAD is a more plausible answer, esp since CO had more of a presence there with the 733s after the merger

3- “west” from EWR and a “short flight” from HPN certainly suggests Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP, which actually reflects the nearby town of Avoca); “west” from HPN would be Broome County Airport in Binghamton/BGM

I’m almost positive that UA never offered 737 service at either ... so I’m gonna guess Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton (ABE) which actually makes a lot more sense for a 737 than EWR
Old May 4, 2020, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2- “close” to DCA means I have a 50% probability of a correct guess, but it also means there’s a 100% probability that we’ll know the answer shortly afterwards

my only NY flight was DCA-LGA in 1984; just because I don’t remember them at Baltimore/BWI in 1985 doesn’t mean they weren’t flying there, but I tend to think Dulles/IAD is a more plausible answer, esp since CO had more of a presence there with the 733s after the merger

3- “west” from EWR and a “short flight” from HPN certainly suggests Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP, which actually reflects the nearby town of Avoca); “west” from HPN would be Broome County Airport in Binghamton/BGM

I’m almost positive that UA never offered 737 service at either ... so I’m gonna guess Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton (ABE) which actually makes a lot more sense for a 737 than EWR
CORRECT on both counts. I'll go ahead and clear those off the board. Here are the relevant schedules for the above two questions...

2. New York Air NY 386 Orlando (MCO) 1235p-235p S Washington (IAD) 305p-400p White Plains (HPN) DC-9-30 X6

United UA 417 White Plains (HPN) 359p-432p Allentown (ABE) 502p-559p D Chicago (ORD) 643p-813p D Memphis (MEM) 839p-923p Jackson (JAN) 737-200

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 5, 2020 at 12:44 pm
Old May 5, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
7. (1988) You get around more than most people in your home state of Maine. Indeed, Arkansas is the only state you haven’t yet been to, so when business calls in the form of a sales appointment in Little Rock, you couldn’t be happier. Wrong! You are happier upon discovering a three-stop direct flight departing Bangor each morning. Better yet, it offers First Class! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.
I will take a stab at this one. Bangor, Maine sounds like a great place for a Northeast "Yellowbird" so I'm going to say this is Delta with the remnants of Northeast's network. My guess is a DL 72S routing BGR-BOS-CVG-MEM-LIT.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
7. (1988) Arkansas is the only state you haven’t yet been to, so when business calls in the form of a sales appointment in Little Rock, AR you couldn’t be happier. Wrong! You are even happier upon discovering a three-stop direct flight departing BGR each morning. Better yet, it offers First Class! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

I will take a stab at this one. Bangor, Maine sounds like a great place for a Northeast "Yellowbird" so I'm going to say this is Delta with the remnants of Northeast's network. My guess is a DL 72S routing BGR-BOS-CVG-MEM-LIT.

It's force of habit, Herb - when thinking of Bangor in an airline sense, it's oh so easy think of... Northeast or Delta. And Little Rock only emphasizes Delta. But NO! We're looking for a different airline operating a different aircraft over an entirely different routing. Please, guess again!
Old May 5, 2020, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oops! Sorry, JL - somehow this one slipped through the cracks yesterday afternoon

Originally Posted by jlemon

Let's try TWA operating a B727-100 with a routing of Knoxville - St. Louis - Denver - Reno.

Once American and United were off the board, there weren't a lot of other options, were there? I don't recall TWA serving TYS historically, but the early days of deregulation were exciting times as airlines explored lots of interesting new routes. In any event, TWA through STL is correct! However, the second stop was not Denver. I sense you polishing this one off very soon...
Old May 5, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Where once we had thirty questions, we're now down to just six! Good work, men! Let's polish off the rest of these!

As always, please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Answers that include terms like "possibly" or "probably" et al are not acceptable. Please be specific. Thanks!

7. (1988) You get around more than most people in your home state of Maine. Indeed, Arkansas is the only state you haven’t yet been to, so when business calls in the form of a sales appointment in Little Rock, you couldn’t be happier. Wrong! You are happier upon discovering a three-stop direct flight departing Bangor each morning. Better yet, it offers First Class! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.
A N S W E R E D

9. (1979) Your meeting in Toledo went well and now, with nothing pressing on your engagement calendar for the upcoming weekend, why not head on out to Las Vegas to decompress by the poolside bar at the Tropicana? As luck would have it, there’s a single daily three-stop direct flight departing Toledo tomorrow morning. Breakfast and a snack will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

10. (1998) You need to fly from Indianapolis to Orlando. Due to some recently discovered circulatory problems in your left leg, your doctor has advised you to either avoid flying or, if you must, fly First Class. Well then, First Class it is. Your hometown airline – American Trans Air – does offer a daily nonstop but alas, no First Class. Same goes for Southwest which also offers a daily nonstop. Well dang! Hey! What’s this?! There are two additional airlines that also offer a single nonstop flight between Indy and Orlando and both of those flights offer First Class. Each airline operates a different aircraft type. Identify both airlines and the equipment each uses for these flights.

13. (1985) While the wife and kids fly from Orlando back home to Portland, you’ve got business in Cleveland. From your days of living in Cleveland, you recall that United is probably the airline to call. Indeed, UA does offer a nonstop from Orlando up to Cleveland but the timing doesn’t work. Thankfully, a different airline now also offers a daily nonstop flight between MCO and CLE, and the timing couldn’t be better. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying up to Cleveland.

20. (1989) You need to fly from Newport News, VA to Orlando, FL next Wednesday. Flying anywhere out of PHF generally means a connection, so when your company’s travel office informs you that there’s now a nonstop flight departing Newport News’ Patrick Henry Field that’ll get you into Orlando in the early afternoon, you couldn’t be happier. Book it, please. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.
It's not BN with a BAC-111

A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 5, 2020 at 1:49 pm
Old May 5, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7. (1988)Arkansas is the only state you haven’t yet been to, so when business calls in the form of a sales appointment in Little Rock, AR you couldn’t be happier. Wrong! You are even happier upon discovering a three-stop direct flight departing BGR each morning. Better yet, it offers First Class! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.
7- for some reason I think we have another United 737-200 here ... wild guesses as to the stops, with the exception of the second ... Manchester/MHT, Chicago O'Hare/ORD, and Nashville/BNA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.