Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
We saw it when it came out in 2005 in a nearby cinema (The Showcase, you see it looking out of the right hand side on final approach to LCY). Not too well attended; when the credits started to roll most everyone left but I wanted to see if any aviation museum had provided the airliners used. They went endlessly on, eventually it is just me, Mrs WHBM , and a retired-age couple, where the guy is obviously doing the same. Periodically I glance at him - did he look like an aviation type. The two women also looked at one another, exchanged sympathetic glances and valiantly pretended not to look bored. Finally it ended, not a mention. Mrs W said he looked like an old pilot. I later discovered that scene at the end with a whole fleet of TWA Connies on the ramp was CGI.

Howard Hughes built up such a relationship between TWA and Hollywood that it was never lost - notice how in many Hollywood films TWA turn up to illustrate an airline scene. American inherited this, and maintained the (apparently) special office in LA that manages it all, one reason for the substantial high-premium AA service on A321s nowadays between JFK and LAX, which is still regarded as a media industry shuttle.

Well, speaking of classic old films.....

We watched "Dog Day Afternoon" last night. This film was released in 1975, was directed by Sidney Lumet and stars Al Pacino and John Cazale.

And here's a bonus quiz item concerning "Dog Day Afternoon"....

At the end of the film, bank robbers played by Pacino and Cazale are driven by an FBI agent with their bank employee hostages to New York JFK Airport to ostensibly board a jetliner which they have demanded in order to leave the U.S. The jet taxis in and shuts down in the scene. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
4. (1995) To your great disappointment, your son has signed a letter of intent to play for the University of Florida Gators next year, not your beloved Nittany Lions of Penn State. On a positive note, at least there’s a direct one stop flight from your home outside Wilkes-Barre, PA straight down to the Gainesville, Florida airport. Identify the airline, aircraft and the intermediate stop.

I'm thinking this might be Delta with a B737-200 with a stop at their hub in Atlanta.

Correct! Here's the schedule:

Delta DL 1805 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP) 405p-614p S Atlanta (ATL) 708p-810p Gainesville (GNV) 737-200 Daily

8. (1979) You’ve spent the afternoon testifying in front of the House Subcommittee on Transportation and have just received a call from your office informing you that you need to be in Toledo, Ohio for a morning meeting with executives from American Motors Corporation. Your pocket flight guide indicates that the DCA-TOL market just happens to be served by a single nonstop flight departing out of National every evening at 700p. You quickly book a seat and then head down to the Metro for the short ride out to National. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

This sounds like one of the interesting routes operated by Air Florida. If so, the flight may have originated in Florida and I'll guess the equipment was a B737-200.

That's the one. Here's the schedule:

Air Florida QH 93 Washington (DCA) 700p-810p Toledo (TOL) 737-200 X7
Old May 1, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
18. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, which two states are served by just a single jet aircraft type? Identify each state and the jet aircraft type (variant specific, please) that serves it uniquely.

Building off Q6 (capitol cities) and the associated bonus question, I think one of these is Wyoming which only saw 737-200s (Western, United, Frontier; services were into Casper/CPR as well as Cheyenne/CYS); as for the second, I will speculate that it was Delaware -- Eastern serving Wilmington/ILG with a DC-9-30 (pretty sure the only other commercial service at ILG at that time was on an Allegheny Convair 580)

Cheyenne with Western and its 737-200 is correct. However, Wilmington did not benefit from any jet service at the time. Western's 737 came through on flights 53/56, the northbound routing being DEN-CYS-CPR-SHR-BIL. This is an old route that goes back at least to the DC-6 days. When I flew it in August of 1976, it was aboard a 737-200.

I **seriously** doubt MDT ever saw a four-engine jet airliner (TW 707 or 880), so by default we have the 727-31

Doubt on, Dude! TWA did indeed serve Harrisburg with its 707-131 (B7F) with a single daily nonstop turnaround flight from Chicago.

ADDITIONAL BONUS QUESTION!!! Of the ... state capitals listed that DID NOT receive jet service in 1970, which ones went on to later be served by jets? Identify the capital, the airline(s) and the aircraft type(s)
Augusta, ME
Concord, NH
Montpelier, VT
Dover, DE
Annapolis, MD
Frankfort, KY
Topeka, KS
Carson City, NV
Olympia, WA
Jefferson City, MO
Trenton, NJ
Santa Fe, NM
St. Paul, MN
I can only come up with three:
  1. Santa Fe (SAF) -- TransTexas DC-9-10 and ExpressJet (United Express / Continental Express) ERJ-135/145 Correct!
  2. Topeka (FOE) -- Frontier 737-200 Correct! However, there's one more airline & jet that also served FOE...
  3. Trenton (TTN) -- Eastwind 737-200 and Allegiant MD-80 Correct! However, there's one more airline & jet that also served TTN...
Old May 1, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Several more for the above....

Santa Fe - American Eagle Embraer ERJ-140/145 and Canadair CRJ900. Good call!

Topeka - Midway with the DC9-10 That's the one I was looking for.

Trenton - I think Allegheny with the DC9-30. Also United mainline service with the B727-200 and B737-200. Plus Eastwind operated the B737-700 as well....and Frontier with the A320.

I flew through Trenton on a United 727-200 in 1986. I have no schedules reflecting Allegheny DC-9-30 service. Good call on the Eastwind 73G and Frontier's A320
Old May 1, 2020, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And here's a bonus quiz item concerning "Dog Day Afternoon"....

At the end of the film, bank robbers played by Pacino and Cazale are driven by an FBI agent with their bank employee hostages to New York JFK Airport to ostensibly board a jetliner which they have demanded in order to leave the U.S. The jet taxis in and shuts down in the scene. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type.
I remember the movie well. And the aircraft - one of my favorites - a Convair 990 in the livery of Modern Air. I remember seeing one parked out at O'Hare for an extended time back in the 70s.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
... Convair 990 in the livery of Modern Air. I remember seeing one parked out at O'Hare for an extended time back in the 70s.
where was it in relation to the Dick Drost Comet 4?
Old May 1, 2020, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nothing like a few OTAQ&D questions to spice up the ennui of sheltering in place! We're off to a great start, guys...

As always, please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Answers that include terms like "possibly" or "probably" et al are not acceptable. Please be specific. Thanks!

2. (1985) You’ve had a great weekend in Orlando, FL but before you can return home to Mississippi you first need to attend to some business up in White Plains, NY. Though you were expecting to fly into LaGuardia and rent a car, you’re surprised to find that one airline offers a one stop direct flight to nearby Westchester County Airport that departs Orlando every afternoon except Saturday. Perfect. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

3. (1985) With your business in White Plains completed, it’s time to return home to Jackson, Mississippi. What’s that they say about when you die and go to heaven, you’ll probably connect in Atlanta? Hartsfield sometimes feels like a second home, and not always a happy home at that. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a three stop direct flight from White Plains straight through to Jackson. First Class is available and dinner will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the two stops in order please.

7. (1988) You get around more than most people in your home state of Maine. Indeed, Arkansas is the only state you haven’t yet been to, so when business calls in the form of a sales appointment in Little Rock, you couldn’t be happier. Wrong! You are happier upon discovering a three-stop direct flight departing Bangor each morning. Better yet, it offers First Class! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

9. (1979) Your meeting in Toledo went well and now, with nothing pressing on your engagement calendar for the upcoming weekend, why not head on out to Las Vegas to decompress by the poolside bar at the Tropicana? As luck would have it, there’s a single daily three-stop direct flight departing Toledo tomorrow morning. Breakfast and a snack will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

10. (1998) You need to fly from Indianapolis to Orlando. Due to some recently discovered circulatory problems in your left leg, your doctor has advised you to either avoid flying or, if you must, fly First Class. Well then, First Class it is. Your hometown airline – American Trans Air – does offer a daily nonstop but alas, no First Class. Same goes for Southwest which also offers a daily nonstop. Well dang! Hey! What’s this?! There are two additional airlines that also offer a single nonstop flight between Indy and Orlando and both of those flights offer First Class. Each airline operates a different aircraft type. Identify both airlines and the equipment each uses for these flights.

13. (1985) While the wife and kids fly from Orlando back home to Portland, you’ve got business in Cleveland. From your days of living in Cleveland, you recall that United is probably the airline to call. Indeed, UA does offer a nonstop from Orlando up to Cleveland but the timing doesn’t work. Thankfully, a different airline now also offers a daily nonstop flight between MCO and CLE, and the timing couldn’t be better. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying up to Cleveland.

14. (1995) Although New York City’s three major airports are well served by flights to and from San Juan, PR, the same cannot be said for its outlying airports in White Plains and Newburgh. There are no nonstop or direct flights out of White Plains to anywhere in the Caribbean. Thankfully, Newburgh has one twice weekly one stop direct flight to and from San Juan. That’ll work. Now you can tell your housekeeper Rosa that as a token of your appreciation for all her hard work, you’ll be sending her home to San Juan for a visit with her family. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop for the relevant flight out of Newburgh.

15. (1979) You’re now in Dallas and need to get to Milwaukee for a breakfast conference tomorrow morning. You imagine there should be a good variety of nonstops but are surprised to find mostly multi-stop flights with only a single nonstop that departs DFW in the early evening. That’ll work! Which airline and aircraft type will you be flying upon?
A N S W E R E D

18. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, which two states are served by just a single airline that operates a single jet aircraft type? Identify each state and the airline and jet aircraft type (variant specific, please) that serves it uniquely.
Wyoming served via Western's 737 has been correctly identified. We need one more...

19. (1998) Not counting international flights, what is the longest commercial flight out of Colorado? We’re looking for the route, the airline and the aircraft type.

20. (1989) You need to fly from Newport News, VA to Orlando, FL next Wednesday. Flying anywhere out of PHF generally means a connection, so when your company’s travel office informs you that there’s now a nonstop flight departing Newport News’ Patrick Henry Field that’ll get you into Orlando in the early afternoon, you couldn’t be happier. Book it, please. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

21. (1979) In jlemon’s recent set of questions, you needed to get from Reno across the country to Smoky Mountains National Park. Now, after having hiked a 98 mile section of the Appalachian Trail, it’s time to return to Reno. Your closest airport is still in Knoxville and there just happens to be a 2-stop direct flight departing Knoxville every afternoon, seven days a week. You’ve booked a First Class seat and are already looking forward to that first cold beer after takeoff. Name the airline you’ll be flying upon as well as the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

22. (1988) Good Lord! The heat and humidity of this summer in Atlanta is as bad as it’s ever been and probably worse! Imagine then your surprise and delight when a couple of old friends from college daze call to ask if you’d care to join them on a six day backpacking trip doing the Rae Lakes Loop in King’s Canyon National Park. Whaaaat?!! OMG, Yes!!! You indicate you’ll buy a ticket out and back as soon as you can figure out which airport is closest to Kings Canyon N.P. Following a brief search, you find that there is a single daily direct one-stop flight from Atlanta to the airport you’ll need to fly into. A snack and dinner will be served along the way. Identify that airport as well as the airline, aircraft and the single enroute stop.
It's not United

23. (1985) Over the years many airlines have operated single class configured aircraft in the busy New York to Los Angeles market. In mid-1985 just one airline operates nonstop flights with them. Identify that airline and the aircraft type it uses.
A N S W E R E D

25. (1995) You and your wife are finally taking that long awaited vacation to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. From your home outside Kansas City, MO you’re not surprised to find there are neither direct nor nonstop flights. You’re gonna have to connect somewhere. Hey! Why not San Diego? You can spend a couple of days with the in-laws at their palatial digs up in La Jolla before continuing on to PVR. There’s a single nonstop each day between MCI and SAN and, as luck would have it, a single nonstop each day between SAN and PVR. Identify each of the relevant airlines and aircraft types operating these flights.
US Air with a 734 MCI-SAN has been identified

26. (1979) Your favorite hometown guitarist – Steve Kimock – is playing with Martin Fierro and his band The Underdogs at the Garland Theater in Spokane, Washington. You’ve been fortunate enough to have been comped tickets by your buddy, the band’s equipment manager – if you can get there. You call both United and Hughes Airwest but to no avail. Not only are the Underdogs in town but the Pacific Northwest Dry Cleaner’s Symposium is also happening that week. Finally you call a travel agency and are gobsmacked to find a single coach class seat on an airline you never would have considered for a flight from SFO up to GEG. The flight makes one stop but the price is right and you’ll arrive Spokane 2 ˝ hours before show time. Name the airline, aircraft and stopover point for this flight.

28. (1985) Finally! Kansas City has a direct one-stop flight to Hawaii! No more long and occasionally annoying connections on the west coast. On the downside, this flight does have a change of gauge at the enroute stop which is almost as bad as a connection. Still, the price is right and so you book a couple of seats. Identify the airline, the connecting point and the two aircraft types involved.
It's not American through DFW

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 2, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
where was it in relation to the Dick Drost Comet 4?
I remember that old Comet - it was parked on the north ramp of Butler Aviation. I think I remember hearing it was an ex-Mexicana bird. I recall the 990 parked not far off the roadway as you drove up to the departure area of the terminals. Don't know what happened to either plane. I think there was an effort to get the Comet sent to a museum but the funds to move it never materialized and it was ultimately scrapped. As for the 990, it may have ended up with longtime 990 operator Denver Ports of Call. Just a guess, there...
Old May 1, 2020, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

On a sad note, I'm sorry to report the recent death of Jon Proctor. Some of you may know of Jon via his book "From Props to Jets". Jon was a founding member of the World Airline Historical Society, and his writing appeared often in the WAHS' magazine The Captain's Log, as well as Airways, Airliners, and other publications. He also authored or co authored numerous books about the airline industry. Additionally Jon was the original editor of Airliners International magazine and later a contributing editor of Airways Magazine. He spent most of his airline career at TWA, starting as a gate agent and flight attendant, as well as being a manager at the airline's executive offices in New York City.

Jon also ran Airline World postcards with his friend Pete Black. That’s how I came into contact with him after writing to the address on the back of one of his cards I’d seen on display at the Dayton, Ohio airport in August of 1979. I had a fledgling collection (About 500 cards) of airline postcards – mostly airline issues and a few Dexter Press type cards issued by airports. Jon turned me on to the world of independent postcard producers as well as an ex-Delta employee who just happened to have a fine airline postcard collection for sale. We’re talking a lot of valuable old cards, many of them airline issue and old linen cards from the 40s showing old airport terminals with aircraft parked prominently out front. $3000 later, I was the proud owner of his collection. Today my collection numbers over 30000 cards. It used to be amongst the largest in the world (appraised as 9th largest) but I opted to stop buying everything ever published after one day noticing I had about 40 Lufthansa 747 cards that for the most part all looked alike. After that, I thinned out the collection to no more than two of any given livery (and often only one) and have become a lot more selective in my purchases.

Getting back to Jon, I had the good fortune to meet him on a few occasions at his home in Bethel, Connecticut as well as at numerous airline collectibles conventions. It was he who encouraged me to write about my airline adventures and so I had my first and only article published in Airways magazine - about flying First Class on Cathay Pacific. Most of my trip reports are far too long for magazine format, and my dubious grammar skills limit that avenue as well, so thank God for FlyerTalk where I have a forgiving audience that actually seem to enjoy my ramblings. None of it would have happened without encouragement from Jon Proctor.

You can enjoy Jon’s photos at his website at Jon Proctor
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 1, 2020 at 5:35 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
23. (1985) Over the years many airlines have operated single class configured aircraft in the busy New York to Los Angeles market. In mid-1985 just one airline operates nonstop flights with them. Identify that airline and the aircraft type it uses.
It's not an MGM Grand Air D8S or a World DC10
Was it People Express with a 747-100/200 ?
Old May 1, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear
It's not an MGM Grand Air D8S or a World DC10

Was it People Express with a 747-100/200 ?

Great guess there, Oski! I recall People Express running its 747s on this route but I don't have an OAG to corroborate these schedules, perhaps because they weren't operated for long. Additionally, People Express did install a First Class cabin in its 747s and by the time it was operating them on transcons I believe this service was in effect. Please, guess again!

Old May 1, 2020, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Nothing like a few OTAQ&D questions to spice up the ennui of sheltering in place! We're off to a great start, guys...

As always, please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Answers that include terms like "possibly" or "probably" et al are not acceptable. Please be specific. Thanks!

19. (1998) Not counting international flights, what is the longest commercial flight out of Colorado? We’re looking for the route, the airline and the aircraft type.

Denver - Honolulu, United, DC-10
Old May 1, 2020, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Denver - Honolulu, United, DC-10

Welcome back, Mr. T! Here's hoping you and yours are well and healthy while you ponder your next try to this question. For what it's worth, if I didn't know better, I too would have guessed DEN-HNL but alas, per the OAG I used to reference this question, no such flight was operating at the time. Surprising. Probably a seasonal thing. Anyway - I'm sure I speak for many when I say we eagerly await your next guess!
Old May 1, 2020, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
19 (immediately above)
DEN-ANC Fedex DC10-30F
Denver to Anchorage is longer than Denver to Boston or Miami

ok, I'll admit that's a wiseguy answer =)
Old May 1, 2020, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
DEN-ANC Fedex DC10-30F
Denver to Anchorage is longer than Denver to Boston or Miami
ok, I'll admit that's a wiseguy answer =)
You're right - and FedEx, UPS, DHL et al do not count here. Suffice it to say the destination is in the continental U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.