Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
11. Your dinner meeting in Boston was quite successful. However, you must now fly to Miami in the morning to execute the contract. You've found a one stop flight from BOS to MIA which will enable you to take care of business that same afternoon. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft type. It wasn't Eastern or National, the equipment wasn't an L-1011 or Super DC-8-61 and the stop was not made at Hartford or New York JFK

I was about to go with Northeast, but by '73 they'd've merged with Delta, so let's go with a rare Delta 727-100 routing BOS-FLL-MIA. (Routing through ATL just seems too obvious)

Yep, it was Delta....but not with a B727-100 and the flight in question did not stop at Fort Lauderdale or Atlanta.

Since we tend to look for more interesting subject matter for our questions than the usual aircraft / routes, I'm wondering if we're looking at a flight operated with one of those United DC-10s that Delta operated for awhile in the early 1970s. Let's go with a DC-10 operating BOS - TPA - MIA.

20. You've had a great getaway in Cancun but now it's time to get back to work. Your lady friend is now safely heading back to New York City but you are off to Los Angeles. You'll be on board a daily flight which makes two stops en route from CUN to LAX although the aircraft is in an all coach configuration. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment.

Both of the primary Mexican domestic carriers operated in all-economy configurations, so let's start with a Mexicana 727-200 routing CUN - MEX - MZT - LAX

Nope, it wasn't Mexicana, the equipment wasn't a B727-200 and the flight in question did not stop in Mexico City or Mazatlan....or anywhere else in Mexico.

Hmm... so we're dealing with a U.S. airline. Well in 1979 in Cancun, that would've meant Eastern but for all economy? Nope. AA, BN and UA are out for the same reasons, in addition to the fact that I don't think any of them served Cancun yet. CO didn't fly all Y class and FL didn't fly to CUN back then. Really, I'm thinking only one U.S. airline that served Mexico back then operated an all-economy class cabin. Are we talking about Texas International here? To be honest, I was unaware they even flew to Cancun - ever - but given the parameters of an all-economy configuration and an airline that also served LAX, no other airline makes sense, especially post deregulation. So, let's go with Texas International operating a DC-9-10 routing CUN - IAH - ABQ - LAX.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
18- having eliminated ATL/BHM/CLT as stops before HSV, and ORD/DEN/SLC as stops beyond, there are only a few possibilities in the former category ... I'm just gonna march east to west here ... Greensboro (GSO)

24- looks like we are about to reprise the "WA destinations in SoCal" guessing game from Q14 ... my opening thought is PSP

Originally Posted by KT550
As Old Year's Day draws to a close, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all a healthy, safe and prosperous new year. ... All the best ...
seconded!

Thanks for all the effort that goes into compiling the questions.
particularly to jlemon and Seat 2A, who certainly put the most into it!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
As Old Year's Day draws to a close, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all a healthy, safe and prosperous new year.

Thanks for all the effort that goes into compiling the questions.

All the best,

KT
Thank you, sir!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
11. Your dinner meeting in Boston was quite successful. However, you must now fly to Miami in the morning to execute the contract. You've found a one stop flight from BOS to MIA which will enable you to take care of business that same afternoon. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft type. It wasn't Eastern or National, the equipment wasn't an L-1011 or Super DC-8-61 and the stop was not made at Hartford or New York JFK

I was about to go with Northeast, but by '73 they'd've merged with Delta, so let's go with a rare Delta 727-100 routing BOS-FLL-MIA. (Routing through ATL just seems too obvious)

Yep, it was Delta....but not with a B727-100 and the flight in question did not stop at Fort Lauderdale or Atlanta.

Since we tend to look for more interesting subject matter for our questions than the usual aircraft / routes, I'm wondering if we're looking at a flight operated with one of those United DC-10s that Delta operated for awhile in the early 1970s. Let's go with a DC-10 operating BOS - TPA - MIA.

20. You've had a great getaway in Cancun but now it's time to get back to work. Your lady friend is now safely heading back to New York City but you are off to Los Angeles. You'll be on board a daily flight which makes two stops en route from CUN to LAX although the aircraft is in an all coach configuration. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment.

Both of the primary Mexican domestic carriers operated in all-economy configurations, so let's start with a Mexicana 727-200 routing CUN - MEX - MZT - LAX

Nope, it wasn't Mexicana, the equipment wasn't a B727-200 and the flight in question did not stop in Mexico City or Mazatlan....or anywhere else in Mexico.

Hmm... so we're dealing with a U.S. airline. Well in 1979 in Cancun, that would've meant Eastern but for all economy? Nope. AA, BN and UA are out for the same reasons, in addition to the fact that I don't think any of them served Cancun yet. CO didn't fly all Y class and FL didn't fly to CUN back then. Really, I'm thinking only one U.S. airline that served Mexico back then operated an all-economy class cabin. Are we talking about Texas International here? To be honest, I was unaware they even flew to Cancun - ever - but given the parameters of an all-economy configuration and an airline that also served LAX, no other airline makes sense, especially post deregulation. So, let's go with Texas International operating a DC-9-10 routing CUN - IAH - ABQ - LAX.
Ah, you are almost there on both of these.....

11. Delta operating a DC-10 is correct! However, the flight in question did not stop in Tampa....and the stop we are looking for was located quite a bit further north.

20. Texas International is correct! However, the equipment wasn't a DC-9-10 (it was a DC-9-30)....and although the first stop was Houston (IAH), the second stop wasn't Albuquerque (ABQ).
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Although I don't contribute much in the way of answers (or questions) I do enjoy following this thread and the digressions!

Best wishes for the New Year to everyone.

MADPhil
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
18- having eliminated ATL/BHM/CLT as stops before HSV, and ORD/DEN/SLC as stops beyond, there are only a few possibilities in the former category ... I'm just gonna march east to west here ... Greensboro (GSO)

24- looks like we are about to reprise the "WA destinations in SoCal" guessing game from Q14 ... my opening thought is PSP
18. Yep! Here's the sched...

UA 707: Raleigh/Durham (RDU) 8:15a - 8:40a (est.) Greensboro/High Point (GSO) 9:10a - 9:21a Huntsville (HSV) 9:50a - 12:00n Los Angeles (LAX) 1:00p - 2:04p San Francisco (SFO) 2:45p - 4:28p Seattle (SEA) 5:00p - 5:38p Vancouver (YVR)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y (except F/K LAX-SFO)
Meal services: Snack in F only GSO-HSV, lunch HSV-LAX, snack in F only LAX-SFO, snack SFO-SEA
Equip: 727

I have the feeling this may have been one of the few times one could fly direct from RDU, GSO or HSV to YVR without having to change planes.....

24. And yep again! Here's the sched.....

WA 331: Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 9:45a - 10:34a Denver (DEN) 11:15a - 12:13p Palm Springs (PSP) 12:40p - 1:55p San Francisco (SFO) 2:35p - 4:05p Portland (PDX)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Snack MSP-DEN, lunch in F & snack in Y DEN-PSP, snack SFO-PDX
Equip: 72S

And you're now done for the day. Please come back next year.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
40 years ago (31 Dec 1979) I wrapped up my 21-day $399 Eastern Airlines “Unlimited Mileage” trip ... it probably pales in comparison to the one(s?) that Seat 2A flew, but I had to work around limited vacation time (I had already burned a week in Nov), blackout dates (travel couldn’t begin on or after 15 Dec), a friend’s wedding (23 Dec), and New Year’s Eve plans

this itinerary had 15 EA flights covering 20,450 miles
I’m reasonably certain that the fare rules only permitted one stop at any destination, so I’m not sure how I managed to ticket two segments into SJU (unless EA permitted interlining with Aero Virgin Islands on the first SJU-STT segment)
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
random Old Timer's Airline Memory

(Should this be a periodic off topic comment in this thread????)

It was 1987. I needed to get to West Virginia. The airfares to Charleston, WV from NYC were too high for me. Then I got creative. Since I had extra time, why not fly Pan Am? JFK-PIT, Boeing 727-200, $39 each way, no Saturday night stay required. The JFK-PIT flight was in the morning, not one of the evening flights that transatlantic passengers would likely take. The schedule was perfect for renting a car in PIT and driving to West Virginia.

Added bonus, the 727 was parked at the gates under the round roof. I saw my plane from the street level. I didn't know it as my plane but I thought "what if that were the plane going to PIT?"

Highlights of the flight
1. self satisfaction in getting a low fare
2. one of the few times that I flew Pan Am
2b. one of the few times that I used the Pan Am Worldport (which has since been demolished)
3. nice view of the plane from the street.
4. odd flight time for Pan Am. Not odd for O&D traffic, those in NY needing to get to Pittsburgh.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah, but just think.....you and the family will be winging your way to hopefully sunny Nice tomorrow!

So with that lovely thought in mind, here are several quiz items concerning Nice (NCE) just 30 years ago in 1989:

29. If you wanted to fly nonstop to Nice from Basel/Mulhouse at this time, what airline would you call and what type of equipment would you be flying on?

30. If you wanted to fly nonstop to Nice from Milan Malpensa on board a Boeing 747 at this time, what airline would you call?
29. I'll guess Crossair, with a Saab 340.

30. Pan Am.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
29. I'll guess Crossair, with a Saab 340.

30. Pan Am.
29. Nope...and the air carrier in question operated a jet on this route five days a week.

Plus, a clarification concerning this quiz item as the listing for this flight is actually under Mulhouse/Basel (MLH) rather than Basel/Mulhouse (BSL)....although I believe BSL and MLH are actually both located on the same airfield: EuroAirport which is jointly operated by France and Switzerland.

30. Correct! And this Pan Am 747 service then continued on to New York. Here's the sched.....

PA 184: Milan Malpensa (MXP) 9:45a - 10:30a Nice (NCE) 11:50a - 2:35p New York Kennedy (JFK)
Freq: Mondays and Saturdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: 747
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your response to no more than two (2) quiz items per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

4. It's 1963 and you are in Toronto for the weekend. The phone rings and you are asked if you can be in Boston for a business dinner that same evening. You quickly ascertain there is flight that operates on Saturdays only from Toronto to Boston which makes one stop en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.

The next four quiz items have a time line of 1973.....

8. You are in Panama City, Panama. You need to travel to Chicago and have found a daily flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type. It wasn't Braniff and stops were not made at IAH or DFW. The equipment was a 727.

9. Your visit to Chicago-land has gone well and now it's time to head down to Orlando. So how about a good old fashioned milk run?! Ah, here's a flight which fits the bill and makes five stops en route. Name the airline, all five stops in order and the aircraft.

10. Now you are in Kansas City. You once again need to attend a dinner meeting in Boston and have found a flight with an excellent schedule which makes two stops en route. Name the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.,

11. Your dinner meeting in Boston was quite successful. However, you must now fly to Miami in the morning to execute the contract. You've found a one stop flight from BOS to MIA which will enable you to take care of business that same afternoon. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft type. ANSWERED - Delta operating a DC-10 via PHL

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1975......

16. You're in Burbank but not in southern California. So that means you are in Burbank, Illinois where the weather has been downright nasty with freezing rain and snow. So how about a getaway to warm and sunny Jamaica, mon?! And how about an itinerary which includes a milk run flight as well? Plus you'll also make a connection with two different airlines being involved with each air carrier operating its respective flight with the same aircraft type. Your first flight will depart from the closest airport to Burbank, IL and will make four stops en route. Your second flight will operate nonstop from the connecting city to Kingston, Jamaica. Name the airport you will depart from, the first air carrier, all four stops in order, the connecting city, the second air carrier, and the equipment.

17. Now you are in Albuquerque and need to travel to Sacramento for a dinner meeting. Hmmmm....there's no nonstop or direct service from ABQ to SMF. So you will have to make a connection with two different airlines being involved. Your first flight to the connecting city will be nonstop and you'll have just under one hour to make your connection to the second air carrier. Your second flight will make three stops en route. Identify the first airline, the equipment, the connecting city, the second airline, the three stops in order and the equipment. Hint: you will be flying on board two different aircraft types. The first airline wasn't TWA, a B727-100 wasn't operated on the first flight and the connection was not made at PHX. The second airline was Hughes Airwest operating a DC9-10. The second flight did not stop at SJC or OAK.

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1979......

20. You've had a great getaway in Cancun but now it's time to get back to work. Your lady friend is now safely heading back to New York City but you are off to Los Angeles. You'll be on board a daily flight which makes two stops en route from CUN to LAX although the aircraft is in an all coach configuration. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment. ANSWERED - Texas International operating a DC-9-30 CUN - IAH - DFW - LAX

22. Now you are in Johannesburg and need to travel to New York City. You've found a flight that operates once a week from JNB to JFK which makes two stops en route with the first stop being a technical stop. Name the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.
Routing was JNB - CPT - GIG - MIA and the equipment was a 707. Still looking for the air carrier which wasn't VARIG.
Making good progress here......and here is what remains from my initial set.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 4, 2020 at 11:24 am Reason: answer updates
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are a couple of quiz items concerning Nice (NCE) just 30 years ago in 1989:

27. Air Inter was operating six different aircraft types into Nice at this time, five of which were jet equipment. Name them all. ANSWERED

29. If you wanted to fly nonstop to Nice from Mulhouse/Basel (MLH) at this time, what airline would you call and what type of equipment would you be flying on? ANSWERED
And now both answered......

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 2, 2020 at 11:27 am Reason: answer updates
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:17 am

29. Nope...and the air carrier in question operated a jet on this route five days a week.

Plus, a clarification concerning this quiz item as the listing for this flight is actually under Mulhouse/Basel (MLH) rather than Basel/Mulhouse (BSL)....although I believe BSL and MLH are actually both located on the same airfield: EuroAirport which is jointly operated by France and Switzerland.
My next guess is TAT / Touraine Air Transport, with an F.28.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11.Your dinner meeting in Boston was quite successful. However, you must now fly to Miami in the morning to execute the contract. You've found a one stop flight from BOS to MIA which will enable you to take care of business that same afternoon. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft type.It was Delta operating a DC-10. The stop was not made at Hartford, New York JFK, Fort Lauderdale, Atlanta or Tampa.....and was located quite a bit north of Florida.

11- ah, how about New York La Guardia (LGA)

27. Air Inter was operating six different aircraft types into Nice at this time, five of which were jet equipment. Name them all.Jets: A300, A320, Caravelle, Mercure and ____________ (not the Fokker 100). Turboprop: Fokker F.27 Friendship

27- didn’t IT have a couple of the ubiquitous 727s for awhile?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here are several more new quiz items concerning Nice (NCE).....

31. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 727-200 from Copenhagen nonstop to Nice in 1993, what airline would you call?

32. Also in 1993, if you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 767-200 from London Heathrow nonstop to Nice, what air carrier would you call? ANSWERED

33. In 1996, all of the nonstop flights from Nice to Barcelona to were operated with turboprop equipment by four different air carriers. Aircraft types included the ATR 42, the DHC-8 Dash 8 and the Fokker F.50. However, one airline was operating the Saab 2000 on the route. Name this air carrier. ANSWERED

34. How many daily flights were there in 1996 from Nice to Monte Carlo, what airline operated them and what was the equipment? ANSWERED - Heli-Air-Monaco operating Aerospatiale/Eurocopter AS 350 helicopters with 42 daily scheduled flights from NCE to MCM.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 4, 2020 at 5:38 pm Reason: answer updates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.