Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
EB 201: London (LHR) 23:30 - 06:45 Bermuda (BDA) 07:45 - 10:15 Nassau (NAS) 11:00 - 11:45 Miami (MIA)
Freq: Saturdays only
Service classes: F/Y/CO (I have no idea what "CO" class was).
CO was "Skycoach", which was a bargain-basement service class at the back of the aircraft, selected long haul routes only, generally to the onetime British colonial areas. I think US carriers used to call it "Thrift". Both were to get around IATA regulations to provide a lower fare on scheduled services and combat charters. To quote the Eagle material of the time :

"On Skycoach services, simple, cold, in-flight meals costing 7 shillings and 6 pence are available. Normal medical and toilet requisites are available at no cost. Reading matter, cigarettes and alcoholic drinks are not available either free of charge or for sale".

Alias "Miserable class". Now if you refer back a few posts there's my account of my onetime university colleague being put into a military charter. And as a comparable attitude, many of the travellers on such routes at the time were British colonial staff travelling to/from their assignment, often with families. And of course the Colonial Office in London leapt at the ability to get cheaper tickets, so my relations of the era had their own stories about this when travelling to Africa. The simple meals were generally sandwiches. I suppose they were meant to be grateful for a free Band-Aid if they were injured in turbulence, or that no charge was made for toilet paper in the bathrooms ...

* : 7 shillings and 6 pence (7/6, or "seven and six") is 37.5 pence nowadays. It was quite a common price point.
jlemon likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Dec 28, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
12. Here's a photo of a Lockheed L-188 Electra which was taken in 1973.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Nord...CR5MnzsuRRQRxW

This airplane is still flying at the present time for another airline. Name that air carrier.

As you might imagine, this one required a bit of research. Off the top of my head, I figured it'd probably be a Canadian operator and what I came up with was that the airplane is currently with Buffalo Airways operating as C-GLBA.

13. Time for a sailing vacation! Your old sailing buddy has his cat anchored in Papeete. So you are off to Tahiti from San Francisco on board a flight which operates twice a week and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment.

In 1973, this sure sounds like Pan Am as ANZ didn't fly out of SFO and UTA came out of HNL. Let's go with a Pan Am 707 routing SFO-LAX-HNL-PPT

P.S. Many thanks to jlemon for taking the time to research and formulate these questions
12. Correct! And C-GLBA was featured on a recent episode of "Ice Pilots NWT" on The Weather Channel here in the US with this Electra operating between Yellowknife and a seasonal, rather rough ice runway at Goose Lake in northern Canada.

13. Pan Am operating a Boeing 707 is correct! However, this flight did not stop at Los Angeles and Honolulu was the first stop. And we await the tap in......
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Well there weren't that many airlines that served Fiji at all in 1975 (or even now), let along did Paris on the other side of the world at all - and had 707s. Not Qantas or Pan Am. BOAC didn't do Paris. Canadian Pacific had DC8s. Air New Zealand didn't do Europe then. UTA had DC8s AND not serving Noumea is double disqualification. Air France didn't do Fiji. Two stops, connection point, another two stops sort of says the connection was halfway along.

Lets try an Air India 707. Used to serve Fiji then, where half the population is Indian. First flight Nadi-Singapore-Madras-Bombay. Second flight Bombay-Bahrain-Rome-Paris (and on to London).
15. An excellent guess, sir! However, it wasn't Air India and stops were not made at Nadi, Singapore, Madras, Bombay, Bahrain or Rome. But we can safely say the flight in question did continue on to another European destination from Paris Orly although it did not go to London.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The Pacific Rim route wasn't so readily available when routing via the Soviet Union was not permitted, and the hop from Adak in the Aleutians to Sapporo in Japan was too great.
True, but the MD-95 came into service post-Soviet Union. Off-topic but small (much less than an ounce in weight) flyers normally associated with living in the tropics, apparently unknown north of Los Angeles a century ago, known to be up in the S.F. Bay area a half century, are now living year round all the way to up to the Alaska panhandle. One wonders if they will follow the migrating MD-95s and eventually hop over to Asia.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kick again at 15.

LAN Chile

Papeete (PPT) - Hanga Roa (IPC)-Santiago/SCL-Caracas-Madrid-ORY and probably on to FRA.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
13. Time for a sailing vacation! Your old sailing buddy has his cat anchored in Papeete. So you are off to Tahiti from San Francisco on board a flight which operates twice a week and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment.

13. Pan Am operating a Boeing 707 is correct! However, this flight did not stop at Los Angeles and Honolulu was the first stop. And we await the tap in......
Alright then, let's go with SFO - HNL- Pago Pago - PPT
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Kick again at 15.

LAN Chile

Papeete (PPT) - Hanga Roa (IPC)-Santiago/SCL-Caracas-Madrid-ORY and probably on to FRA.
15. LAN-Chile is correct! And you are almost there with the routing. The first flight indeed operated Nandi (NAN) - Papeete (PPT) - Easter Island (IPC) - Santiago (SCL). However, the second flight did not stop in Caracas but did make a stop in Madrid before heading to Paris and then on to Frankfurt. Please guess again, sir!
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Alright then, let's go with SFO - HNL- Pago Pago - PPT
13. Yep! Here's the sched....

PA 817: San Francisco (SFO) 09:00 - 11:05 Honolulu (HNL) 13:00 - 17:15 Pago Pago (PPG) 18:15 - 22:00 Papeete (PPT)
Freq: Daily SFO-HNL, Wednesdays & Saturdays only HNL-PPG-PPT
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: 707
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:13 pm

a time line of 1973.....

8. You are in Panama City, Panama. You need to travel to Chicago and have found a daily flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type.
Can I offer a Braniff 727, running Panama-Houston-Dallas-Chicago.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I offer a Braniff 727, running Panama-Houston-Dallas-Chicago.
8. Yes sir, you may! However, the flight in question was not operated by Braniff International and the two stops were not made in Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth. But the equipment was indeed a 727.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
5. Yep, Idlewild had changed its name to JFK Airport by this time and that's where this flight terminated. Plus Washington National was the third stop. But the fourth stop wasn't Baltimore so please guess again!
5- “wasn’t Baltimore” for NA between DCA and JFK means the answer has to be Philadelphia (PHL)
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15. BOG (SCL-BOG-MAD-ORY-FRA)? One other possible airport but nearly 1,000 additional miles....
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
19.You are back in New York City in the fall and it's already snowing. Time for a quick getaway with a lady friend for a bit of sun n' fun! So how about jetting down to Cancun? You've found a direct one stop flight which operates four days a week. Identify the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.
19- I think this one is Eastern ... a 727-25 departing JFK and stopping in New Orleans (MSY)
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb 1956-vintage Beaver converted to electric

Harbour Air (based in Vancouver) recently conducted the first flight of an all-electric de Haviland DHC-2 Beaver
Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
15. BOG (SCL-BOG-MAD-ORY-FRA)? One other possible airport but nearly 1,000 additional miles....
I think at the time Rio de Janeiro would be the point not to miss on South American flights, routing Santiago-Rio-Madrid. It's strange how it has progressively fallen off from being a onetime world destination, even within Brazil it has now been eclipsed by Sao Paolo. Used to have Air France Concorde flights from Paris, stopping in The Azores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.