Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
18. (2001) It’s been a wonderful week of sun and fun on the island of Maui but as ever, all good things must eventually come to an end. So it is that you turn your sunburnt face to the east - and a tad north I suppose - and prepare for the long journey back to your home in the bustling Caribbean metropolis of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. Never one to pass up an opportunity for adventure in flying, you’ve worked out a fantastic itinerary between HNL and SDQ that will involve five flights on four airlines utilizing five different models of widebodied aircraft, none of which are European built. (It took me about an hour to research this question and I’ve found only one routing that makes it work. As always, my routings are fairly straight forward affairs - no irrational zigzagging involved.) Identify the four airlines (remember - one airline operates two of these flights), the routing (honestly, it shouldn’t be that hard. I mean, we’re talking Kahului here) and the five different aircraft types (none of which are different variants (i.e. -10, -30) from one another.

Various bits and pieces here in semi-random order:
  • the U.S.-built wide-body jets would be the 747, 767, 777, L-1011, DC-10, and MD-11
  • "no irrational zigzagging" would seem to rule out JFK as the origin for the flight into SDQ, so we're looking at Miami/MIA (although San Juan/SJU wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility)
  • both MIA-SDQ and SJU-SDQ are candidates for American, most likely with a DC-10
  • we've talked about a few DC-10 operators on OGG-HNL (Northwest, Continental, possibly United), but I seem to recall mention of Delta with an L-1011 as well
  • this leaves us HNL-XXX-YYY-MIA/SJU (I'm having a very difficult time placing an M11 in this routing, so it's some combination of the Boeing jets)
first guess:
OGG-HNL Delta L-1011
HNL-SFO United 747-400
SFO-LAX TWA 767-200
LAX-MIA American 777
MIA-SDQ American DC-10

All very logical, but a bit off. But hey, there's a lot to work with here, so good on ya for wading in and getting this one started. Maui of course always offers a chance at widebody variety when routing via HNL, but in this case that didn't work so the first leg is from Maui straight through to the west coast. Additionally, from the west coast gateway airport, we continue eastward. The 767 is involved in this itinerary but it's not a -200 variant. A 747 is also involved, but not a 400 variant. An MD11 is involved. TWA and United are not involved. Delta and American are. Plus three as yet unnamed other airlines - one of them foreign. The airline with two flights operates two different widebodies.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
9- let's try something else before I revert to my initial supposition, mainly because I don't actually recall DL/OO operating into ASE
ASE-Los Angeles/LAX United CRJ
LAX-Chicago/ORD UA DC-10
ORD-BTV UA 737-300
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
13. (1993) The last time you flew from your home in Sioux Falls, SD to Phoenix, it was aboard a Western Airlines 720B with that silly bird doing the commercials. “Ah… The Only Way to Fly!” To be sure, Western’s flights were pretty nice, that godawful cheap Franzia Brothers “Champagne” they used to pour for free notwithstanding. These days another airline offers the only direct service between FSD and PHX via a single daily one stop flight. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type please.

Let’s go with UA doing FSD-DEN-PHX on a 737-300.

Correct! Here's the schedule:

United UA 439 Sioux Falls (FSD) Denver (DEN) 512p-601p D Phoenix (PHX) 737-300 Daily
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
Afghanistan also had links northwards into the bordering Soviet Union, nowadays Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, and Aeroflot long served Kabul from early times, might have still been an IL-18 at the 1972 time of the question. You tell me
Aeroflot did indeed. PIA also came in from Lahore with an F27 while Iran Air dropped in from Teheran with a 727.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

9. (1991) You’ve just finished consulting on the new high-speed quad chairlift to be installed at Snowmass and Aspen Mountain and now you’re off for similar consultations at Vermont’s Sugarbush Resort. Unfortunately, Mother Nature has thrown a wrench in the works with a spring blizzard along the Front Range that has shut down Denver’s Stapleton International. No problem, aren’t there a couple of flights through Chicago? Yes, but only on the weekends and tomorrow’s Thursday. Well jeez, what airlines fly into Burlington anyway? Your agent patiently taps away at her computer and voila - there IS another way - a three flight journey involving two connections with all flights aboard the same airline. Your flight out of Aspen will be on a regional jet followed by two mainstream jets. Identify the airline, routing and aircraft please.

Let's try something else before I revert to my initial supposition, mainly because I don't actually recall DL/OO operating into ASE
ASE-Los Angeles/LAX United CRJ
LAX-Chicago/ORD UA DC-10
ORD-BTV UA 737-300

I apologize for not having mentioned that the BAe-146 was indeed involved in this itinerary. That said, so is United as well as the 737-300. LAX, ORD and the DC-10 are not part of the equation. Should be pretty easy to clean this up now...
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
18. Maui of course always offers a chance at widebody variety when routing via HNL, but in this case that didn't work so the first leg is from Maui straight through to the west coast. Additionally, from the west coast gateway airport, we continue eastward. The 767 is involved in this itinerary but it's not a -200 variant. A 747 is also involved, but not a 400 variant. An MD11 is involved. TWA and United are not involved. Delta and American are. Plus three as yet unnamed other airlines - one of them foreign. The airline with two flights operates two different widebodies.
time to throw some more stuff at the metaphorical walls:
  • the itinerary includes a 747-100/200, a 767-300, and an MD-11
  • since UA is out of the equation, I think the likelihood of a 777 in the picture is small (I know Continental was also flying 'em in 2001, but they were almost exclusively on TATL services, with an occasional hub-to-hub turn between Newark/EWR and Houston/IAH)
  • thus the remaining two jets were an L-1011 and a DC-10
  • since TW is out of the equation, the L10 could be either DL or ATA
  • the M11 could be either DL or AA, so no real help there
  • "continuing eastward from the west coast gateway" intuitively rules out SFO-LAX as the leg on a foreign airline, which therefore *strongly* implies the last leg was SJU-SDQ as a Fifth Freedom operation
let's try this:
OGG-SFO Hawaiian 767-300
SFO-LAX DL L-1011 (yeah, I know what the last bullet above says, but it's the only thing that seems to fit)
LAX-DFW AA MD-11
DFW-SJU AA DC-10
SJU-SDQ KLM 747-400
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 3, 2021 at 6:24 pm
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9- hmmmmmmmm ... UA with a 146 out of ASE, not to DEN/LAX/ORD ... San Francisco/SFO would seem to be the only other candidate, followed by a 757 to Washington Dulles/IAD and the 733 up to BTV
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:49 pm

My next four guesses for UA DC-8-71 service are:

IAD
MIA
SAN
LAS
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

18. Maui of course always offers a chance at widebody variety when routing via HNL, but in this case that didn't work so the first leg is from Maui straight through to the west coast. Additionally, from the west coast gateway airport, we continue eastward. The 767 is involved in this itinerary but it's not a -200 variant. A 747 is also involved, but not a 400 variant. An MD11 is involved. TWA and United are not involved. Delta and American are. Plus three as yet unnamed other airlines - one of them foreign. The airline with two flights operates two different widebodies.

Time to throw some more stuff at the metaphorical walls:
  • the itinerary includes a 747-100/200, a 767-300, and an MD-11
  • since UA is out of the equation, I think the likelihood of a 777 in the picture is small (I know Continental was also flying 'em in 2001, but they were almost exclusively on TATL services, with an occasional hub-to-hub turn between Newark/EWR and Houston/IAH)
  • thus the remaining two jets were an L-1011 and a DC-10
  • since TW is out of the equation, the L10 could be either DL or ATA
  • the M11 could be either DL or AA, so no real help there
  • "continuing eastward from the west coast gateway" intuitively rules out SFO-LAX as the leg on a foreign airline, which therefore *strongly* implies the last leg was SJU-SDQ as a Fifth Freedom operation
let's try this:
OGG-SFO Hawaiian 767-300
SFO-LAX DL L-1011 (yeah, I know what the last bullet above says, but it's the only thing that seems to fit)
LAX-DFW AA MD-11
DFW-SJU AA DC-10
SJU-SDQ KLM 747-400

So if the itinerary includes a 747-100/200, why are you listing a -400? Typo? Regardless, you're correct on the 747 route but we're looking for a different airline.

The flights did not route through DFW or SFO

Hawaiian is one of the airlines but not with a 767-300.

The MD11 was not operated by AA

AA was not the airline that operated two flights. Nor did it operate the DC10 in this itinerary

Delta was not the L-1011 operator

We're still looking for two as yet unmentioned airlines involved in this itinerary, one of them foreign
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

9. (1991) You’ve just finished consulting on the new high-speed quad chairlift to be installed at Snowmass and Aspen Mountain and now you’re off for similar consultations at Vermont’s Sugarbush Resort. Unfortunately, Mother Nature has thrown a wrench in the works with a spring blizzard along the Front Range that has shut down Denver’s Stapleton International. No problem, aren’t there a couple of flights through Chicago? Yes, but only on the weekends and tomorrow’s Thursday. Well jeez, what airlines fly into Burlington anyway? Your agent patiently taps away at her computer and voila - there IS another way - a three flight journey involving two connections with all flights aboard the same airline. Your flight out of Aspen will be on a regional jet followed by two mainstream jets. Identify the airline, routing and aircraft please.

hmmmmmmmm ... UA with a 146 out of ASE, not to DEN/LAX/ORD ... San Francisco/SFO would seem to be the only other candidate, followed by a 757 to Washington Dulles/IAD and the 733 up to BTV

No portion of this itinerary operated west of Aspen.
Washington IAD is correct. However, the 757 is not.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
14. (1989) I’m borrowing a page from JoeDTW here, to wit: In 1989, United was just a couple years away from retiring its fleet of DC-8-71s. In October of 1989, Denver’s Stapleton International saw DC-8-71 service from nine different cities. Can you identify each of those cities? (Submissions should include a total of nine airports. No piecemeal guessing, please.)

My next four guesses for UA DC-8-71 service are:

IAD UA 341 Washington (IAD) 250p-428p S Denver (DEN) DC-8-71 Daily
MIA Incorrect
SAN UA 352 San Diego (SAN) 630a-945a B Denver (DEN) DC-8-71 Daily
LAS Incorrect

Almost there!
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9- where else would an eastbound UA 146 have gone from ASE besides ORD (already eliminated due to frequency of service) and DEN (already eliminated due to stated weather conditions)? and more significantly, would that destination have had mainline service to IAD? how about Colorado Springs/COS, with a 727-200 making up the long midcon leg to IAD

18- third time the charm?
  • OGG-LAX HA D10
  • LAX-ATL DL M11
  • ATL-MIA DL 763
  • MIA-SJU AA 777
  • SJU-SDQ KL 747 (yep, “744” was indeed a typo)
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
18. Wild stab given everything eliminated
OGG-OAK Hawaiian D10
OAK-LAX ATA L-1011
LAX-ATL Delta 763
ATL-SJU Delta M11
SJU-SDQ Lufthansa 747
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Where else would an eastbound UA 146 have gone from ASE besides ORD (already eliminated due to frequency of service) and DEN (already eliminated due to stated weather conditions)? and more significantly, would that destination have had mainline service to IAD? how about Colorado Springs/COS, with a 727-200 making up the long midcon leg to IAD

If I didn't know differently, I'd be thinking the same as you - outside of DEN or ORD, where? But yes, there was one more destination UA flew its 146s from Aspen to (three days a week) and thence on to Dulles and beyond. The second aircraft into IAD was a 727-100....
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9- well, the actual 146 operator was Air Wisconsin, so how about Milwaukee/MKE

I remember UA with the Caravelle on DCA-MKE ~1968, so it seems reasonable that they remembered the Wisconsin linkage after standing up the Dulles hub

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.