Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
11. (1995) As you’re heading out to the airport in the middle of the night, you can’t help but wonder how many - if any - have ever had a need to fly between Durango, Mexico and Regina, Canada. Stifling a yawn, you ponder the day ahead - a total of three nonstop flights aboard three different airlines utilizing three different types of jets - two of them built by the same aircraft manufacturer. Identify the three airlines, the routing flown and the aircraft types involved.

I cannot recall any U.S. air carriers serving Durango in colorful old Mexico so let's begin our journey on board a Mexicana B727-200 and fly nonstop to Chicago O'Hare (and I doubt this flight operated daily but I'll bet it was a redeye). We'll then connect at ORD to a United B737-200 flying nonstop to Minneapolis/St. Paul. And we'll then connect at MSP to a Canadian Airlines Partner F28 for the final nonstop to Regina (this was an old Time Air route and may have still been operated by this air carrier on a code sharing basis on behalf of CP). I'm probably wrong here but what the heck....

Responded to like a true devotee of the OAG as a great source of entertainment. "I'm probably wrong here but..." Right. Aw, shucks! Truth be told, you're essentially correct on most everything here with the exception of the United 737. I had to go back and double check the schedules and UA's ORD-MSP flight didn't time well between the MX and CP flights. So then, we're looking for a different airline operating something other'n a 737. Tap in time...?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
11. Well, glad to see I'm still on the runway here and thus not off the end in the weeds.....

And this quiz question just became a bit more intriguing. We already have a 72S on the first flight operated by MX. However, sounds like we have ruled out a Boeing 737 of any type on the second flight. Although I'm completely sure Northwest was operating service on the ORD - MSP route, I cannot see NW operating a 747 or 757 on the flight we are looking for. So perhaps there's another manufacturer to be considered....

Ah, I may have it: American operating a Fokker 100 from ORD to MSP.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
My next guess is an Egyptair 707, routed Mogadishu-Khartoum-Cairo-Athens

Please see post #24660

I saw Chris Slimmer two months ago, and he said he's bought and sold four different Air Inter Mercure safety cards....

Like I said... dogged in his determination...
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Accidental dupe post

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 7, 2021 at 6:50 pm
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Not having their own suitable aircraft for the run, they had leased in an ATR-42 from odd charter operator Atlantic Aviation of Coventry, best known for running DC6Bs and DC3s into recent times. The aircraft had a half-makeover into BMI branding, with a strange tropical Palm Beach colour scheme because BMI had started flights (NOT with the ATR42) to the Caribbean....
I had no idea British Midland operated service to the Caribbean. I assume they did so with the A330. And one learns something new just about each and every day.....
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hi, all. I hope it's okay if throw in a random question (this is one that you can presumably figure out if you are good at searching FT).

Thank You Points is one of the many programs that FTers stress tested.

For a brief period, they allowed us to redeem 20k points for economy tickets between any two points within the US (no HI or AK) and/or Canada.

We identified a clear winner, and several runner ups for the most expensive in terms of cash value. These routes all included fare breaks (i.e. stacking two or more tickets).

What was #1 (single airline that no longer serves either end point)?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by KT550
You were lucky to get the Mercure. I'm pretty sure it was only one day a week. May have been only one flight on a Sunday evening.
AF898 was the CDG-LGW flight in June 1989 - I planned my trip around getting that flight home.

There had been some Mercure flights to LHR ten years earlier in 1979, most likely operating for Air France too.
My Mercure flight was the 10 AM LGW-CDG flight on Friday, 5 May 1989. AF's timetable showed the equipment for this flight as "DAM" every day.
KT550 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

11. (1995) As you’re heading out to the airport in the middle of the night, you can’t help but wonder how many - if any - have ever had a need to fly between Durango, Mexico and Regina, Canada. Stifling a yawn, you ponder the day ahead - a total of three nonstop flights aboard three different airlines utilizing three different types of jets - two of them built by the same aircraft manufacturer. Identify the three airlines, the routing flown and the aircraft types involved.

Well, glad to see I'm still on the runway here and thus not off the end in the weeds..... And this quiz question just became a bit more intriguing. We already have a 72S on the first flight operated by MX. However, sounds like we have ruled out a Boeing 737 of any type on the second flight. Although I'm completely sure Northwest was operating service on the ORD - MSP route, I cannot see NW operating a 747 or 757 on the flight we are looking for. So perhaps there's another manufacturer to be considered.... Ah, I may have it: American operating a Fokker 100 from ORD to MSP.

Way to break it all down, JL! And of course you are 100% correct! with AA's Fokker 100. Check out the itinerary -

Mexicana MX 188 Durango (DGO) 400a-714a S Chicago (ORD) 727-200 Sa Su
American AA 653 Chicago (ORD) 844a-1011a S Minneapolis (MSP) Fokker 100 Daily
Canadian CP 1305 Minneapolis (MSP) 1240p-234p S Regina (YQR) Fokker F.28 Daily
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And then there were four....

4. (1994)
Your business has you traveling often between Colorado Springs and Guadalajara. Normally you make the connection through Dallas but for some reason all DFW-GDL flights - what of them there are - are sold out on the day you need to travel. What about Houston? Nope. Whut tha… even LA’s not available! ¿Qué pasa con estos pinche horarios de las aerolíneas?! Okay, okay… here’s a possibility. You’ll take a one-stop direct flight to airport A where you’ll transfer to a well-timed bus that’ll take you to airport B 25 miles away. From there it’ll be nonstop to Guadalajara. Unfortunately, neither flight offers a First Class cabin so you’ll have to sit behind the curtain all the way through. Esta bien. Book it, Pedro! Please identify both airlines, the three enroute airports involved and the two different aircraft types.
Routes through SAN/TIJ via 73S and 72S. We're still looking for correct airlines and enroute stop COS-XXX-SAN

8. (1992) Few things could be finer than a week in February in the Canary Islands, so the thought of having to return home to comparatively cool and cloudy Leeds is not such a happy one. At least you’ll be able to get there relatively quickly via a couple of nonstop flights and a single connection departing out of Tenerife. Two airlines are involved, each operating the same type of aircraft. Airlines, connection point and aircraft please.

9. (1991) You’ve just finished consulting on the new high-speed quad chairlift to be installed at Snowmass and Aspen Mountain and now you’re off for similar consultations at Vermont’s Sugarbush Resort. Unfortunately, Mother Nature has thrown a wrench in the works with a spring blizzard along the Front Range that has shut down Denver’s Stapleton International. No problem, aren’t there a couple of flights through Chicago? Yes, but only on the weekends and tomorrow’s Thursday. Well jeez, what airlines fly into Burlington anyway? Your agent patiently taps away at her computer and voila - there IS another way - a three flight journey involving two connections with all flights aboard the same airline. Your flight out of Aspen will be on a regional jet followed by two mainstream jets. Identify the airline, routing and aircraft please.
Please see post #24595

22. (1993) After a week at the fabulous Solmar Resort in Cabo San Lucas, it’s time to return home to Colorado Springs. Although you sailed here from Guaymas, located across the Sea of Cortez, you’ll be flying home. You’ve found a very convenient itinerary involving two nonstop flights on two different airli or COnes via a single nicely timed connection. Short of flying way out of your way, this is the only two flight connection available. Please identify all of the usual things we like to know about here at the OTAQ&D.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 9, 2021 at 4:53 pm
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:41 am

It's hard to believe we're just 3 1/2 weeks from the end of 2021.

Some of you requested a set of trivia questions involving DEN in 1964. I've just put together 12 questions based on the Oct 15, 1964 OAG. However, as this year winds down, I'll be spending more time with family and friends, and less time on this forum, so I'll wait and post the questions in early January.

One of the questions involves someone "crapping out" in Las Vegas and having to walk to McCarren airport because they can't afford a taxi or hotel room, and another question involves a lover of Mesa Verde who decides to do something different and visits Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:07 am

Programs: BA
I had no idea British Midland operated service to the Caribbean. I assume they did so with the A330. And one learns something new just about each and every day.....
Yes they did. Their A330s had a difficult time. They had jumped up and down for many years about being allowed to operate from London Heathrow to New York and such like, finally they got an approval and ordered two new A330-200s, but as we all know, and has been increasingly the case since alliances and FF programmes came along, just operating the route is not everything, particularly as BMI became part of Star Alliance and were thus alongside both United and later Continental on the route. Once delivered the A330s operated on scarcely the same route any year, this included services to the Caribbean, not from London but from Manchester, which they ran in conjunction with multiple tour operators. The aircraft were both delivered in 2001, but the Leeds ATR-42 and the Caribbean colour scheme was Oct 2004 to May 2005 only, so the BMI Caribbean services must have been that winter. The aircraft lost BMI much money, spent a lot of time leased out or parked, and G-WWBD, new in 2001, was actually scrapped in 2012. The other one went to Thomas Cook, but was scrapped after they went under.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
22. (1993) After a week at the fabulous Solmar Resort in Cabo San Lucas, it’s time to return home to Colorado Springs. Although you sailed here from Guaymas, located across the Sea of Cortez, you’ll be flying home. You’ve found a very convenient itinerary involving two nonstop flights on two different airlines via a single nicely timed connection. Short of flying way out of your way, this is the only two flight connection available. Please identify all of the usual things we like to know about here at the OTAQ&D.
22- let's try an Alaska MD-80 to Phoenix/PHX, followed by an America West 737-200
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
22. (1993) After a week at the fabulous Solmar Resort in Cabo San Lucas, it’s time to return home to Colorado Springs. Although you sailed here from Guaymas, located across the Sea of Cortez, you’ll be flying home. You’ve found a very convenient itinerary involving two nonstop flights on two different airlines via a single nicely timed connection. Short of flying way out of your way, this is the only two flight connection available. Please identify all of the usual things we like to know about here at the OTAQ&D.

Let's try an Alaska MD-80 to Phoenix/PHX, followed by an America West 737-200

Close. Very Close. Yes, the correct answer routes through Phoenix and yes, the second leg is operated by an America West 737-200. However, we're looking for a different airline operating something a bit smaller than an MD80 on that first leg. Please, carry on...
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

22. I'll guess the flight from Los Cabos up to Phoenix was operated by a colorful (to say the least) Mexican air carrier: Aero California with a DC-9-30.

And I say "colorful" because Aero California (a.k.a. "Scare-oh California" or just plain "El Scare-oh") did not have a very good reputation.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 8, 2021 at 4:54 pm Reason: modified answer
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA
8. (1992) Few things could be finer than a week in February in the Canary Islands, so the thought of having to return home to comparatively cool and cloudy Leeds is not such a happy one. At least you’ll be able to get there relatively quickly via a couple of nonstop flights and a single connection. Two airlines are involved, each operating the same type of aircraft. Airlines, connection point and aircraft please.
Um ... Canary Islands is not an airport; but the islands have a range of substantial airports, and a big set of holiday flights, including there would be a range of such nonstop flights to Leeds/Bradford, Britannia Airways 757s probably in the lead. However, they won't be in the OAG. Now the same aircraft type knocks Amsterdam on the head, because AirUK on to Leeds would only have short range 146s or even F50s. Can't see it being through London Heathrow onto a British Midland DC9, because an inbound DC9 wouldn't have the range. So let's kick off with a Futura 737-400, Tenerife South to Dublin, connecting onto an Aer Lingus 737-400 Dublin to Leeds/Bradford.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.