Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
CID is incorrect.

To help you out, here's the schedule pattern at the "mystery stop":

MKE: 2x day, DC-9
MLI: 1x day, FH-227, continues to STL
RFD: 1x day, DC-9, continues to ORD
STL: 1x day DC-9
SUX: 1x day DC-9, continues to DEN
ALO: 1x day DC-9, continues to DEN
The guessing game continues: Madison
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Dubuque/DBQ seems like a good candidate also
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
The guessing game continues: Madison
MSN is correct. Here's the full schedule for OZ 978:

Leave DEN 1005, arrive ALO 1244 (Snack)
Leave ALO 1256, arrive MSN 1330
Leave MSN 1341, arrive RFD 1407
Leave RFD 1418, arrive ORD 1445

What's interesting about OZ's schedule at MSN is that the schedules for the two flights to MKE were 2123-2150 and 2238-2305. The return flights were scheduled as 0615-0638 and 0705-0730. The 0615 flight continued to STL, and the 0705 continued to SUX and DEN. I don't think there were many people wanting to take a 2238 flight from MSN to MKE, so I'm guessing OZ had a line maintenance base in MKE and these flights were operated for maintenance reasons, not for passenger convenience.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
40. (1986) Following a productive three days in Abu Dhabi, it’s time to move on to your next assignment in Nairobi, Kenya. There is a once weekly nonstop ABU-NBO flight, but alas, not on the day you need. Thankfully, another airline offers a convenient online connection departing early tomorrow morning and arriving NBO in the early afternoon. The first flight to the connection point makes a single enroute stop, followed by a nonstop into Nairobi. It is the only airline offering an online connection where both flights are aboard vintage four engine jetliners of the same type. As an added bonus, First Class is available on both flights. Airline, routing and equipment please
It's not Saudia or Sudan Airways, but it is a 707. The intermediate stop is in the country of the national airline involved.

I think I’m into “wild guess” territory at this point … Alyemda (Yemen Airlines) via Sana’a, connecting at Aden

But you're in the right neighborhood geographically. It was not Yemenia. It was an African airline...
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
41. (1987) With its acquisition of Republic Airlines, Northwest has an even larger presence in the Southeast. Its new hub in Memphis, Tennessee was never a hotbed of activity for widebody aircraft but Northwest has introduced MEM’s first 747 service along with DC-10 nonstops from four different U.S airports. With this question, we’re looking to identify those four airports. Are you up for it?
MSP, DTW and MIA have been correctly identified. The other two airports do not include BOS, LAX, MKE, PHX or TPA

Answer: Could it be MCO and ORD?

Welcome back, Toshbaf! Three airports have already been correctly identified above, so we need just one more. Which one would you like to go with?

Oh, I counted wrong. MCO.

Orlando (MCO) is correct!. Thus the four airports are MSP, DTW, MIA and MCO
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And we're down to the last three...

36. (1986) You’ve just returned to Los Angeles and are looking forward to a few days of R&R back home when you get a call from your department head. Welcome back! Terribly sorry about this Mate, but it seems your technical skills are required to solve a wee problem in Pretoria, South Africa. The Travel Department has found you a great itinerary though - a couple of nonstop flights aboard two different widebodied jets with just a single connection, both on the same airline. You'll not be connecting through Europe and even better, you’ve been booked in Business Class on both flights. Identify the airline, route and both aircraft types involved.
It's not AZ via FCO

38. (1987) Your Tennessee Vols are playing Alabama’s Crimson Tide in a major SEC showdown next weekend. A good buddy of yours has called to say he’s managed to procure a couple of tickets on the 40 yard line. Can you make it? Oh, you betcha! Better yet, if you fly down to Birmingham, he’ll pick you up and drive you back up to Knoxville after the game. As for the flight, this really must be your lucky day. There’s a daily nonstop from Knoxville straight down to Birmingham. Book it Danno! Name the airline and the aircraft please.
It's not UA or a BAe-146. Nor is it DL Connection or a prop of any kind...

40. (1986) Following a productive three days in Abu Dhabi, it’s time to move on to your next assignment in Nairobi, Kenya. There is a once weekly nonstop ABU-NBO flight, but alas, not on the day you need. Thankfully, another airline offers a convenient online connection departing early tomorrow morning and arriving NBO in the early afternoon. The first flight to the connection point makes a single enroute stop, followed by a nonstop into Nairobi. It is the only airline offering an online connection where both flights are aboard vintage four engine jetliners of the same type. As an added bonus, First Class is available on both flights. Airline, routing and equipment please
It's not Saudia, Sudan Airways, Yemenia, Turkish THY, Egyptair, Libyan or Ethiopian, but it is a 707 operated by an African airline. The intermediate stop is in the country of the national airline involved and begins with "B"

I apologize for the delay in responding to your responses over the past three days. The Wi-Fi has failed us again at the park (It is an odd season indeed with everything from to staffing shortages to supply shortages mucking up the works). I will be in Fairbanks through tonight with a good connection from my home.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 17, 2022 at 10:21 am
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dupe post

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 17, 2022 at 12:24 am
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA
It's not Saudia, Sudan Airways, Yemenia or Ethiopian, but it is a 707. The intermediate stop is in the country of the national airline involved
Turkish THY, operating Abu Dhabi-Ankara-Istanbul, thence Istanbul-Nairobi.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
38. (1987) Your Tennessee Vols are playing Alabama’s Crimson Tide in a major SEC showdown next weekend. A good buddy of yours has called to say he’s managed to procure a couple of tickets on the 40 yard line. Can you make it? Oh, you betcha! Better yet, if you fly down to Birmingham, he’ll pick you up and drive you back up to Knoxville after the game. As for the flight, this really must be your lucky day. There’s a daily nonstop from Knoxville straight down to Birmingham. Book it Danno! Name the airline and the aircraft please.

Comair/Delta Connection, EMB-110 TYS-BMH

A wrong answer of United was given by another FTer. That reminds me of a Boeing 737-200 flight that I took as Birmingham - Huntsville - O'Hare. On arrival at Huntsville, the flight was early and the gate was not ready yet. After a few minutes, some people were running outside to service the plane. The plane then moved forward to park completely at the gate instead of farther away from the gate where we were waiting.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
40. (1986) Following a productive three days in Abu Dhabi, it’s time to move on to your next assignment in Nairobi, Kenya. There is a once weekly nonstop ABU-AUH-NBO flight, but alas, not on the day you need. Thankfully, another airline offers a convenient online connection departing early tomorrow morning and arriving NBO in the early afternoon. The first flight to the connection point makes a single enroute stop, followed by a nonstop into Nairobi. It is the only airline offering an online connection where both flights are aboard vintage four engine jetliners of the same type. As an added bonus, First Class is available on both flights. Airline, routing and equipment please
It's not Saudia, Sudan Airways, Yemenia or Ethiopian, but it is a 707. The intermediate stop is in the country of the national airline involved

Originally Posted by WHBM
Turkish THY, operating Abu Dhabi-Ankara-Istanbul, thence Istanbul-Nairobi.
40- I was also thinking about TK, but we now also know it was an African airline

I can only think of one major city in Somalia (Mogadishu), and I’ve noticed OAG listings for Kampala/Entebbe in Uganda that don’t differentiate two airports

so herewith I’ll offer Egyptair via Sharm el Sheikh (SSH) and Cairo (CAI)

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 17, 2022 at 12:21 am
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per WHBM: Turkish THY, operating Abu Dhabi-Ankara-Istanbul, thence Istanbul-Nairobi.

Per jrl767: I was also thinking about TK, but we now also know it was an African airline. I can only think of one major city in Somalia (Mogadishu), and I’ve noticed OAG listings for Kampala/Entebbe in Uganda that don’t differentiate two airports. So herewith I’ll offer Egyptair via Sharm el Sheikh (SSH) and Cairo (CAI)

It was neither Turkish THY nor Egyptair, though Egyptair via 707 could've worked if you didn't mind a multi-day layover in Cairo. The airline we're looking for was from Africa and operated both 707s and 720Bs...

As to the intermediate stop, think an airport serving a city that begins with "B". Better consult your atlas... It's surprising where you can land those 707s...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 17, 2022 at 12:52 am
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Comair/Delta Connection, EMB-110 TYS-BMH

A most plausible option, Toshbaf, but no - we're looking for a jet aircraft here. And a different airline.

Please, guess again!
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:37 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

As to the intermediate stop, think an airport serving a city that begins with "B". Better consult your atlas... It's surprising where you can land those 707s...
OK, Libyan Arab, running Abu Dhabi-Benghazi-Tripoli, then Tripoli-Nairobi.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 4:12 am

I'll get 36 started with an Alitalia 747 LAX-FCO, connecting to an AZ DC-10 FCO-JNB.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
It's not Saudia, Sudan Airways, Yemenia, Turkish THY, Egyptair or Ethiopian, but it is a 707 operated by an African airline. The intermediate stop is in the country of the national airline involved and begins with "B"

OK, Libyan Arab, running Abu Dhabi-Benghazi-Tripoli, then Tripoli-Nairobi.

No, it's not Libyan Arab. Libya is quite a bit out of the way. The country we're looking for is right on the way from ABU to NBO. Prior answers have buzzed all around it without choosing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.