Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
36. (1986) You’ve just returned to Los Angeles and are looking forward to a few days of R&R back home when you get a call from your department head. Welcome back! Terribly sorry about this Mate, but it seems your technical skills are required to solve a wee problem in Pretoria, South Africa. The Travel Department has found you a great itinerary though - a couple of nonstop flights aboard two different widebodied jets with just a single connection, both on the same airline. Even better, you’ve been booked in Business Class on both flights. Identify the airline, route and both aircraft types involved.

I'll get 36 started with an Alitalia 747 LAX-FCO, connecting to an AZ DC-10 FCO-JNB.

Quite reasonable Joe, but alas, AZ did not fly from LAX nonstop to Rome. Indeed, it should be noted that no European airlines are involved in this itinerary...
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
And we're down to DONE

36. (1986) You’ve just returned to Los Angeles and are looking forward to a few days of R&R back home when you get a call from your department head. Welcome back! Terribly sorry about this Mate, but it seems your technical skills are required to solve a wee problem in Pretoria, South Africa. The Travel Department has found you a great itinerary though - a couple of nonstop flights aboard two different widebodied jets with just a single connection, both on the same airline. You'll not be connecting through Europe and even better, you’ve been booked in Business Class on both flights. Identify the airline, route and both aircraft types involved.
A N S W E R E D

38. (1987) Your Tennessee Vols are playing Alabama’s Crimson Tide in a major SEC showdown next weekend. A good buddy of yours has called to say he’s managed to procure a couple of tickets on the 40 yard line. Can you make it? Oh, you betcha! Better yet, if you fly down to Birmingham, he’ll pick you up and drive you back up to Knoxville after the game. As for the flight, this really must be your lucky day. There’s a daily nonstop from Knoxville straight down to Birmingham. Book it Danno! Name the airline and the aircraft please.
A N S W E R E D

40. (1986) Following a productive three days in Abu Dhabi, it’s time to move on to your next assignment in Nairobi, Kenya. There is a once weekly nonstop ABU-NBO flight, but alas, not on the day you need. Thankfully, another airline offers a convenient online connection departing early tomorrow morning and arriving NBO in the early afternoon. The first flight to the connection point makes a single enroute stop, followed by a nonstop into Nairobi. It is the only airline offering an online connection where both flights are aboard vintage four engine jetliners of the same type. As an added bonus, First Class is available on both flights. Airline, routing and equipment please
A N S W E R E D

The Wi-Fi has failed us again at the park (It is an odd season indeed with everything from to staffing shortages to supply shortages mucking up the works). I will be down there starting this morning but may have access via my roommate's iphone on Saturday or Sunday morning. Otherwise, I'll be back home on Monday.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 21, 2022 at 1:07 am
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:28 am

36. No European airlines were involved, so I'll look south, and guess an RG 747 LAX-GIG, connecting to an RG DC-10 GIG-JNB.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
36. No European airlines were involved, so I'll look south, and guess an RG 747 LAX-GIG, connecting to an RG DC-10 GIG-JNB.
36. That's my guess as well (the Varig service departing from LAX may have been a B747-300).
Old Jun 17, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Never mind. I see all European airlines have already been eliminated.

Last edited by Herb687; Jun 17, 2022 at 11:01 am Reason: disregard
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

38. (1987) Your Tennessee Vols are playing Alabama’s Crimson Tide in a major SEC showdown next weekend. A good buddy of yours has called to say he’s managed to procure a couple of tickets on the 40 yard line. Can you make it? Oh, you betcha! Better yet, if you fly down to Birmingham, he’ll pick you up and drive you back up to Knoxville after the game. As for the flight, this really must be your lucky day. There’s a daily nonstop from Knoxville straight down to Birmingham. Book it Danno! Name the airline and the aircraft please.
38. Let's go with Florida Express operating a BAC One-Eleven with this service then continuing on to Orlando.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

40. (1986) Following a productive three days in Abu Dhabi, it’s time to move on to your next assignment in Nairobi, Kenya. There is a once weekly nonstop ABU-NBO flight, but alas, not on the day you need. Thankfully, another airline offers a convenient online connection departing early tomorrow morning and arriving NBO in the early afternoon. The first flight to the connection point makes a single enroute stop, followed by a nonstop into Nairobi. It is the only airline offering an online connection where both flights are aboard vintage four engine jetliners of the same type. As an added bonus, First Class is available on both flights. Airline, routing and equipment please
It's not Saudia, Sudan Airways, Yemenia, Turkish THY, Egyptair, Libyan or Ethiopian, but it is a 707 operated by an African airline. The intermediate stop is in the country of the national airline involved and begins with "B"
I thought that Somali Airways had been mentioned. And it HAD been mentioned in passing - but then dismissed in favour of another answer. I should read closer.

So, Somali 707 (likely actually a 720B) operating Abu Dhabi-Berbera-Mogadishu, then Mogadishu-Nairobi, Their original one, in the fleet at the time, leased from our very own Tempair, in Windsor UK.

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 17, 2022 at 5:21 pm
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay in responding, gang - Our internet problem continues down at Denali and judging by the way things are going this summer, it's unlikely to be corrected anytime soon. I will have internet access Tuesday thru Friday morning thru August 15th. Unless and until this changes, I'll have to remove myself from providing questions for the time being...

36. (1986) You’ve just returned to Los Angeles and are looking forward to a few days of R&R back home when you get a call from your department head. Welcome back! Terribly sorry about this Mate, but it seems your technical skills are required to solve a wee problem in Pretoria, South Africa. The Travel Department has found you a great itinerary though - a couple of nonstop flights aboard two different widebodied jets with just a single connection, both on the same airline. You'll not be connecting through Europe and even better, you’ve been booked in Business Class on both flights. Identify the airline, route and both aircraft types involved.

No European airlines were involved, so I'll look south, and guess an RG 747 LAX-GIG, connecting to an RG DC-10 GIG-JNB.

Good call, Joe! You've nailed it!

Varig RG 831 Los Angeles (LAX) 130p-730a Rio de Janeiro (GIG) 747-200 Tu Fr
Varig RG 790 Rio de Janeiro (GIG) 1000a-1010p Johannesburg (JNB) DC-10-30 We
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
It's not Saudia, Sudan Airways, Yemenia, Turkish THY, Egyptair, Libyan or Ethiopian, but it is a 707 operated by an African airline. The intermediate stop is in the country of the national airline involved and begins with "B"

I thought that Somali Airways had been mentioned. And it HAD been mentioned in passing - but then dismissed in favour of another answer. I should read closer. So, Somali 707 (likely actually a 720B) operating Abu Dhabi-Berbera-Mogadishu, then Mogadishu-Nairobi, Their original one, in the fleet at the time, leased from our very own Tempair, in Windsor UK.

Right on, Mr. M! Somali it is!

Somali Airways HH 405 Abu Dhabi (ABU) Berbera (BBO) 845a-1045a Mogadishu (MGQ) Boeing 707 We
Somali Airways HH 610 Mogadishu (MGQ) 1230p-205p Nairobi (NBO) We
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Let's go with Florida Express operating a BAC One-Eleven with this service then continuing on to Orlando.

You are ever so close, JL - the aircraft is a BAC-111 and in that part of the world in late 1987, it can only be one airline...
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good work polishing off that set of forty questions, Gang!

I know I speak for us all when I say we eagerly await the next batch of questions from whomever feels up to the task
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:33 am

We all know the pre-deregulation route systems of the local service airlines very well, but the local service airlines added routes just as aggressively as the trunks did post-deregulation. With that in mind, here's a quiz based on the Jure 8, 1979 North Central timetable.

As a resident of the Detroit suburb of Bloomfield Hills, North Central Airlines is as much a part of your community as Vernor's Ginger Ale, Stroh's Beer, terrific college football games in Ann Arbor and horrible pro football games at the Pontiac Silverdome are. In June, 1979, North Central was just days away from merging with Southern to form Republic Airlines. School is out for the summer, and you're already irritating your wealthy parents by cranking up WRIF 101 and your favorite Kiss and J Geils Band tapes, and your exasperated parents tell you they will gladly pay for you to take a trip somewhere....anywhere.....so they won't have to listen to "Detroit Breakdown" or "Detroit Rock City" for a few days. You decide to take a farewell tour on "the route of the Northliners" using daddy's credit card.

1. The easternmost city on North Central's route system is served with three nonstops from Detroit, and one one stop. What's the easternmost city, and where does the one stop stop?

2. Once you get to the easternmost city on NC's system, you see that you can take a five stop to Marquette, Michigan. Where are the stops?

3. You can also take a three stop from the easternmost city to Chicago. Where would you stop enroute?

4. After some thought, you decide not to go to Marquette or Chicago, and instead, you fly to the southernmost city on NC's system. There aren't any direct flights between the easternmost and southernmost cities on NC's system, but you can get there by changing planes. Your first flight is a one stop, and your second flight is a nonstop.

5. It's possible to fly from the southernmost city on NC's system to the westernmost city in one very long day of travel. You'll take three flights. The first and second flights are nonstops, and the third flight makes one stop. What's your route of travel.

6. North Central served many of their new post-deregulation routes with just 1 flight a day, and many of these new flights operated at unusual times. The westernmost city on NC's system is no exception. Once you get there, you turn around, and head to MSP for some rest. The next morning, you're disappointed to discover that NC no longer offers any three stops between MSP and Grand Forks. If you'd been able to take one of NC's three stops between MSP and GFK, where would you have stopped?

7. You take a nonstop to GFK, then a six stop Convair 580 to Omaha. Where are the stops?

8. While you're spending the night in Omaha, you decide that since you've been to the easternmost, southernmost, and westernmost cities served by NC, you may as well fly to the northernmost city. From Omaha, you take a two stop to Sioux Falls, a three stop to Minneapolis, and a one stop to the northernmost city. What's the northernmost city, and how will you be getting there?

9. After spending the night in the northernmost city, you retrace your route to MSP, then take a nonstop to MSP to ORD. By now, you're ready to go home. You think briefly about taking the traditional NC route from ORD to DTW via JXN, but then you see you can take a more northerly route, on one of NC's new DC-9-50s. Your flight makes three stops; what are they?

When you arrive home at your parents' house, you can hear Detroit Rock City blasting from the backyard, and when you get out of your car, you can smell marijuana smoke. You immediately think "it's nice that my friends have organized a welcome home party for me", but then, to your shock, when you go into your backyard, you see that your parents are listening to Kiss while smoking your weed stash. When your mom sees you, she smiles and says "Honey, you were right....Kiss makes great music. The next time you and your friends go to a Kiss concert at Cobo Hall, dad and I will be coming along with you". Initially, you think it was a mistake to leave mom and dad unattended for a few days, but then you realize that you're lucky to have parents that are so cool.
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I like the Detroit-themed questions, even if they're a bit before my time. (Although I did get to watch the gradual demolition of the Silverdome when I had a job in Rochester Hills, followed by its use as storage for the recalled diesel VWs.)
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by strickerj
I like the Detroit-themed questions, even if they're a bit before my time. (Although I did get to watch the gradual demolition of the Silverdome when I had a job in Rochester Hills, followed by its use as storage for the recalled diesel VWs.)
I grew up in the Detroit suburb of Birmingham, and graduated from high school in 1986, so the Detroit themed questions are very nostalgic on my part.

My favorite Silverdome memory: when I was in high school. the Silverdome let nearby high schools play their "rivalry" games there. The two Bloomfield Hills high schools (Lahser and Andover), the two Birmingham high schools (Seaholm and Groves) and the two Royal Oak high schools (Dondero and Kimball) played each other at the Silverdome every year. It was fun for the high school football players to play a game in a pro football stadium.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I grew up in the Detroit suburb of Birmingham, and graduated from high school in 1986, so the Detroit themed questions are very nostalgic on my part.

My favorite Silverdome memory: when I was in high school. the Silverdome let nearby high schools play their "rivalry" games there. The two Bloomfield Hills high schools (Lahser and Andover), the two Birmingham high schools (Seaholm and Groves) and the two Royal Oak high schools (Dondero and Kimball) played each other at the Silverdome every year. It was fun for the high school football players to play a game in a pro football stadium.
Ah, I'm quite a bit younger then - graduated high school in 2004 and moved to Michigan for grad school in 2009. My wife is from around here though; she has fond memories of an N'Sync concert at the Silverdome back in 2001 or so.
We live around Chelsea now - my wife and I find we prefer the country life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.