Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2023, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
16. What was the last U.S. airline with a fleet size over 30 (including jets) to operate piston engine aircraft? What was the aircraft in question?
16- Southern was still flying the Martin 404 as late as May 1977 when I flew MEM-GTR-TUP-TCL-ATL on N144S (which I believe made SO's final revenue flight with the type)
Old Mar 24, 2023, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
26. What were the only two airlines to convert their 747-200s via the SUD Stretched Upper Deck conversion project?
KLM so far, need one more
26- I keep getting Swissair and Sabena mixed up in my head ... so trying SN for the other here
Old Mar 24, 2023, 6:55 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
14. The first Qantas jet flight, flown between London and Sydney in 1959, made four enroute stops. Identify them please.
Gonna guess FCO, BAH, BOM, CGK.

CGK because I remember Tintin stopping there on a "V-Jet" in one of the Herge comic books.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just a minor technicality — I think CGK opened in the mid 1980s; the airport in 1959 was JKT
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I used Google iso intra Delaware flights within the past 100 years. I'm pretty sure the answer is zero.

ETA: I had a hunch that Rehoboth to Wilmington existed at some point in time, but I was unable to find any evidence of such. DE is our last state (in the quiz).

Last edited by moondog; Mar 25, 2023 at 5:33 am
Old Mar 25, 2023, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by joejones
11. This major U.S. airport got its start as a Douglas aircraft assembly plant. Hundreds of C-54s were assembled there during WWII. It commenced commercial airline services in the 1950s. Which airport is this?

Might be ORD?

Might be and indeed is. Further details are available below...

https://www.flychicago.com/business/...ges/OHare.aspx

https://simpleflying.com/chicago-o-h...rport-history/

14. The first Qantas jet flight, flown between London and Sydney in 1959, made four enroute stops. Identify them please.

Gonna guess FCO, BAH, BOM, CGK.

Sounds pretty reasonable, and yet no - none of these airports were involved in Qantas' first revenue jet flight.

Please, guess again!
Old Mar 25, 2023, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by KT550
7. For many of us here on this side of the pond, our introduction to Laker Airways was in the 1970s via its low cost “SkyTrain” flights operated with red and black on white liveried DC-10s and the odd 707. Most of us had never heard of Laker Airways before, though across the Atlantic it had been flying charters with a variety of aircraft since 1966. Here’s the question – what was the first aircraft type to wear Laker’s distinctive red and black on white livery?

Bristol Britannia

Correct! My source was an article in Airliner World magazine. Here's a photo -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenfielding/5662357221

28. What was the world’s first airport to offer flight, rail and road access all at the same terminal?

Could it be Gatwick Airport? It's had a railway station in the 1930s.

It could indeed! Good call!

https://www.nationaltransporttrust.o...atwick-airport

https://www.key.aero/article/rise-and-rise-gatwick
Old Mar 25, 2023, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
22. This U.S. “Local Service” airline commenced jet service almost one year before any of its similarly sized local service competitors. Identify the airline and the jet type.

Well, I thought this might be a DC-9-10 operator.... However, I shall instead go with a wild guess: Pacific Air Lines with the B727-100.

Alas, a bit high and outside. Additionally, the aircraft in question was not a 727. Please, pitch again!
Old Mar 25, 2023, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
16. What was the last U.S. airline with a fleet size over 30 (including jets) to operate piston engine aircraft? What was the aircraft in question?

Southern was still flying the Martin 404 as late as May 1977 when I flew MEM-GTR-TUP-TCL-ATL on N144S (which I believe made SO's final revenue flight with the type)

Lucky you!! And BTW, you are Correct!

https://www.sunshineskies.com/southern.html

26. What were the only two airlines to convert their 747-200s via the SUD Stretched Upper Deck conversion project? KLM was one...

I keep getting Swissair and Sabena mixed up in my head ... so trying SN for the other here

Alas, Sabena's 329s came from the factory. FWIW, I once flew aboard one of the aircraft that was subsequently converted. It was a 4110 mile long flight. No European airports were involved.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I used Google iso intra Delaware flights within the past 100 years. I'm pretty sure the answer is zero.

ETA: I had a hunch that Rehoboth to Wilmington existed at some point in time, but I was unable to find any evidence of such. DE is our last state (in the quiz).
Sorry, but what question are you referring to? As to Delaware flights, I flew into Wilmington aboard a United 737-200 in 1984.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16- “no European airports” would suggest Qantas or Singapore, but I can’t see either of those doing the in-house conversions; ditto for Saudia or Pakistan Intl

maybe we’re looking for an operator with broad reach in the South Pacific … UTA
Old Mar 25, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Sorry, but what question are you referring to? As to Delaware flights, I flew into Wilmington aboard a United 737-200 in 1984.
I think it was meant for this thread: States with internal flights
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Let's try FRA-ATH-CCU-SIN
Old Mar 25, 2023, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
14. The first Qantas jet flight flown between London and Sydney in 1959 made four enroute stops. Identify them please.

Let's try FRA-ATH-CCU-SIN

Certainly sounds reasonable but alas, none of these airports were part of the itinerary.

Please, guess again!
Old Mar 25, 2023, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
14. The first Qantas jet flight flown between London and Sydney in 1959 made four enroute stops. Identify them please.
Seems most plausible stops on the Asia route have been eliminated. Perhaps routing was via the Americas. JFK-SFO-HNL-NAN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.