Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Mar 22, 2023, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
32. Ft. Wayne International Airport (Indiana) to Chicago O’Hare International seems like an innocuous route on which to launch the first ever U.S. service with a new type of jet, but so it was some forty years ago. Identify the airline and the aircraft type.
AA operating a Fokker 100.

33. When the Republic merger with Hughes Airwest was finally made official in 1983, the combined route network included service to all but thirteen states. Identify ALL of those states please.
1 DE
2 RI
3 VT
4 NH
5 ME
6 CT
7 HI
8 WY
9 WV
10 NC
11 SC
12 AK
13 SD

Last edited by Herb687; Mar 22, 2023 at 10:43 am Reason: revise guess
Old Mar 22, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
well, Delta’s “Family Tree” displayed at the museum in Atlanta includes PA (at top left of photo), so I’d have to say they consider it (and AOA) a part of the airline’s heritage

I would say Pan Am is no more a part of Delta than it is of United. The airlines never merged and even when those routes were purchased, American Overseas was waaaaaay out in the rearview mirror. So they are definitely out.
jlemon likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
23. Considering all of the world’s airlines, forty years ago this airline operated the world’s largest DC-9 fleet.

Well, let's see here.....I believe that around forty years ago Republic acquired Hughes Airwest. So the combined RC fleet at that time included various DC-9 models from North Central, Southern and Hughes Airwest.....and perhaps even some DC-9-10 aircraft from Bonanza and West Coast. So there's my final answer: Republic, which was led back then by Hal Carr who I think was one the best guys ever to run an air carrier that had been a small local service airline which began life as Wisconsin Central.

You are spot on. I'd add more detail but we are finally boarding for Singapore here and I've gotta go. If there's inflight wi-fi, I'll seeya'll then!
And it seems we have good connectivity way out here over the Pacific. I just wanted to add that according to the Delta Museum website - Republic Airlines operated 133 Douglas DC-9s, the most of any airline.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 22, 2023 at 5:28 pm
Old Mar 22, 2023, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I would say Pan Am is no more a part of Delta than it is of United. The airlines never merged and even when those routes were purchased, American Overseas was waaaaaay out in the rearview mirror. So they are definitely out.
And American Overseas (AOA) was actually a division of American Airlines with AA owning 62 percent of AOA. C.R. Smith sold American Overseas to Pan Am.

As for Delta, many years ago C.R. Smith called C.E. Woolman who was running DL at the time in order to discuss a possible merger between American and Delta. Mr. Woolman's response was "I don't know, C.R. I think American's too big for us to take it over." Mr. Smith then reportedly slammed down the phone and that was end of the merger discussion between AA and DL.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

"I don't know, C.R. I think American's too big for us to take it over."

I love it!

Anyway, just sayin' howdy from about 2400 miles out over the Pacific, midway between Hawaii and Alaska. Only 12.5 more hours to Singapore! You can follow this flight at https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/sq31

Interestingly, this A350-900ULR is configured in a 3 class configuration (Business, Economy Plus and Economy). So far as I knew, all of these ultra-long range flights with SQ offered just Business and Economy Plus or Premium Economy.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
your Quiz, your rules, your determinations ...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nobody ever said we all have to agree on every technicality

Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
32. Ft. Wayne International Airport (Indiana) to Chicago O’Hare International seems like an innocuous route on which to launch the first ever U.S. service with a new type of jet, but so it was some forty years ago. Identify the airline and the aircraft type.

AA operating a Fokker 100

According to my source, AA did not launch the Fokker 100 on the FWA-ORD route, although that would certainly seem a plausible choice for the twinjet. But no, we're looking for a different airline operating a different jet on this route. Please, guess again!

33. When the Republic merger with Hughes Airwest was finally made official in 1983, the combined route network included service to all but thirteen states. Identify ALL of those states please.

1 DE Correct!
2 RI Correct!
3 VT Correct!
4 NH Correct!
5 ME Correct!
6 CT Correct!
7 HI Correct!
8 WY Correct!
9 WV Correct!
10 NC Incorrect
11 SC Incorrect
12 AK Incorrect
13 SD Incorrect

Dang, Herb! You got off to such a good start I figured you had this one aced. Dag nabbit! Sorry - spilled some Chivas on meself in the turbulence. Anyway, keep at it please. Also, there're 14 states. I fergot about Hawaii!
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

your Quiz, your rules, your determinations ... Nobody ever said we all have to agree on every technicality
Not necessarily. I've merely stated my point. You're a smart guy. Let's hear what you have to say in support of your position! A little banter back and forth is good for all of us. Who knows, maybe you'll change my mind...

BTW, only 11 some odd hours left to go for this flight. We're just about to Midway Island. I am surviving on Herb Alpert, Bholoja, Willie & Lobo and copious quantities of Chivas Regal 12 Year Old. Life is good!
Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
"I don't know, C.R. I think American's too big for us to take it over."

I love it!
That quote is taken from the book "Eagle: The History of American Airlines" by Robert J. Serling which concerns the history of carrier and its predecessors from the 1920's to the reign of one Robert L. Crandall who was named the president of the airline in 1980.

In researching his book, Mr. Serling had complete access to a number of American executives including C.R. Smith who ran the airline for many years as well as Bob Crandall with the latter telling the author to "tell the truth" in his book concerning American. Crandall also told Mr. Serling this: "My friends call me Mr. Crandall. My enemies call me Fang."
Old Mar 23, 2023, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

34. (1986) You’ve got an opportunity to work as an apprentice copywriter for the Times of London. From your home outside Gaithersburg, Baltimore/Washington International Airport is actually closer than Washington Dulles. Yeah, but does anyone fly to London from there? Yes! Two airlines – one via a one stop direct flight, the other with a nonstop. You book the nonstop and crack a cold beer to celebrate your good find. Identify the airline and equipment used on the flight.
34. I'll guess this was World Airways operating a DC-10-30, probably in an all-coach configuration.

And I'll also guess the airport served by World in London was Gatwick.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
13. What was the first airline to operate its converted Convair 340/440s as re-engined turboprop Convair 580s?
13- I'm back and forth on this between Lake Central and Frontier, so for now I'll guess LC

15. What is the oldest airline in Asia still flying while using the name it began service with?
15- how about Cathay Pacific
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
15. What is the oldest airline in Asia still flying while using the name it began service with?
I'll stab and guess it's Philippine Airlines
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:08 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
7. For many of us here on this side of the pond, our introduction to Laker Airways was in the 1970s via its low cost “SkyTrain” flights operated with red and black on white liveried DC-10s and the odd 707. Most of us had never heard of Laker Airways before, though across the Atlantic it had been flying charters with a variety of aircraft since 1966. Here’s the question – what was the first aircraft type to wear Laker’s distinctive red and black on white livery?
Gonna guess a BAC 111.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
34. (1986) You’ve got an opportunity to work as an apprentice copywriter for the Times of London. From your home outside Gaithersburg, Baltimore/Washington International Airport is actually closer than Washington Dulles. Yeah, but does anyone fly to London from there? Yes! Two airlines – one via a one stop direct flight, the other with a nonstop. You book the nonstop and crack a cold beer to celebrate your good find. Identify the airline and equipment used on the flight.

I'll guess this was World Airways operating a DC-10-30, probably in an all-coach configuration. And I'll also guess the airport served by World in London was Gatwick.

You are Correct! Sir. Here's the itinerary -

World Airways WO 032 Baltimore (BWI) 700p-640a London (LGW) DC-10-30 X2

Bonus question 34B - Name another airline that as of late 1986 also offered nonstop BWI-LGW flights
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

13. What was the first airline to operate its converted Convair 340/440s as re-engined turboprop Convair 580s?

I'm back and forth on this between Lake Central and Frontier, so for now I'll guess LC

Alas, it was not Lake Central. Please guess again!

How about Cathay Pacific

A good guess - Cathay got its start in 1946. However, the airline we're looking for started even earlier and still retains its original name...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.