Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2023, 2:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by moondog
I used Google iso intra Delaware flights within the past 100 years. I'm pretty sure the answer is zero.

ETA: I had a hunch that Rehoboth to Wilmington existed at some point in time, but I was unable to find any evidence of such. DE is our last state (in the quiz).
DE has been solved in the other thread!
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
26. What were the only two airlines to convert their 747-200s via the SUD Stretched Upper Deck conversion project?
KLM so far, need one more

No European airports” would suggest Qantas or Singapore, but I can’t see either of those doing the in-house conversions; ditto for Saudia or Pakistan Intl. Maybe we’re looking for an operator with broad reach in the South Pacific … UTA

That's the one. My source is an old WHBM hang out (PPRuNE forum), so I felt pretty confident about it, though admittedly it didn't seem as solid as some of my other sources. Then I saw the post from The Man himself. According to WHBM, the breakdown is as follows:

10 for KLM (BUH,I,K,L,M,N,O,P,R,T)
2 for UTA (now Air France) BTDG,H
2 for JAL (8170,8176)

Here's the link to the pprune thread and you'll find WHBM's post the fourth down

https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-122993.html
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I used Google iso intra Delaware flights within the past 100 years. I'm pretty sure the answer is zero.

ETA: I had a hunch that Rehoboth to Wilmington existed at some point in time, but I was unable to find any evidence of such. DE is our last state (in the quiz).
To avoid confusion and straying off topic, please limit your responses on this thread to questions posed in this thread.

Thank you!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 26, 2023 at 4:47 am
Old Mar 26, 2023, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
14. The first Qantas jet flight flown between London and Sydney in 1959 made four enroute stops. Identify them please.

Seems most plausible stops on the Asia route have been eliminated. Perhaps routing was via the Americas. JFK-SFO-HNL-NAN?

Are you asking me or telling me? No, I hear ya - and you are indeed Correct!

Here's a link as confirmation:

https://i0.wp.com/londonairtravel.co...dium.jpg?ssl=1
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 26, 2023 at 4:18 am
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
To avoid confusion and straying off topic, please limit your responses on this thread to questions posed in this thread.

Thank you!
I posed the states question myself in this thread.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I posed the states question myself in this thread.

Ah... sorry, must've missed that. How did it end up as a separate thread started by cbn42 in the Travel buzz forum?

States with internal flights
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I thought for this batch of queries I’d try to come up with a few historical questions along with a few esoteric types such as liveries. The problem I encountered was that unlike many of our schedule based questions where the answer is not always so easily available online, the answers to many of these historical questions are just a quick Google search away.

So, we might as well acknowledge that the only person preventing anyone from looking up the answer is that person themselves. For what it’s worth, this is ostensibly a “quiz” and hopefully everyone is on their honor to give the best answer they can based on what they already know – which might well be the correct answer given the knowledge base in play amongst you all. And if you’re wrong, well therein lies the fun and interaction of working out the answer amongst ourselves. And if you want to go and look up the answer, well, I guess you’ll at least look smart but where’s the fun or challenge in that?

Speaking of participants, I know we have a lot of “lurkers”, some of whom might like to participate. I actually received a PM from one person who said that while he really enjoyed the OTAQ&D, he was a bit intimidated to attempt an answer given the dominance - be it knowledge or activity level - of some of our core participants. Part of it was potential embarrassment at being wrong and part of it was missing out on attempting a couple of answers because they’d been gobbled up ahead of him.

What can I say? To some extent you’ve just got to dive in and give it your best go – knowledge or timing be damned. At the same time, in the interests of a potentially more inclusive quiz environment - amongst those of us who know it all and can easily answer the bulk of these questions (some of which address more recent history or liveries) over a very short time, perhaps we might initially at least hang back a bit on the easier looking questions. We’ll know them when we see them and if they’re still there after a few days, go for it. Again, this is only a suggestion and I am of course open to input from any of you. While I am forever more grateful for our core participants and their contributions, it would be nice to have more people involved in our little party should they so desire.

As always, please limit responses to two per day – yada yada – you all know how it works by now. And now, let’s go have some fun.

1. This airline had four logo-jets promoting NFL teams. All of the logo-jets were the same aircraft type. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the four NFL teams.
It wasn't America West 757s

2. This proposed widebody – based upon a twin engine aircraft already in service – was on the drawing boards during the late 1960s. The project was shelved in 1970. Anybody know the manufacturer and name of this proposed aircraft?

5. Name two NFL franchises that have purchased their own team liveried widebody jets for team travel. Identify the jet type operated by each team.

6. Four airlines have painted masks on the noses of one of their airplanes. Identify each airline and the aircraft types so painted. No faces are on the planes. Just masks.

8. This airline had five logo-jets promoting three NFL teams, one MLB baseball team and one NBA basketball team. All of the logo-jets were the same aircraft type. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the five sports teams.

9. In the 1960s, two U.S. airlines branded a jet aircraft type in their fleet using the exact same name. Each airline operated a different aircraft type titled as such. Identify each airline and the aircraft type so branded in its fleet

10. Four different airlines have painted “logo-jets” affiliated with the same NFL franchise. The NFL franchise in question was founded in 1960 and has won multiple Super Bowls. Three of these airlines painted full on “logojets” while the other airline affixed a large sticker of the team emblem on the fuselage of two different aircraft types over the years. Identify each airline and the aircraft type utilized as a logo jet.

14. The first Qantas jet flight, flown between London and Sydney in 1959, made four enroute stops. Identify them please.
A N S W E R E D

17. What was the first airline in the U.K. aside from B.O.A.C. to use jets on revenue passenger flights? What type of jet did it employ?

21. Identify the jetliner involved in the world’s first airmail to be transported by jetliner (not military jet). Bonus points if you know the route.

22. This U.S. “Local Service” airline commenced jet service almost one year before any of its similarly sized local service competitors. Identify the airline and the jet type.
A N S W E R E D

24. What was the first local service airline to offer flights with a First Class cabin? Identify the airline and the aircraft type, please. Bonus points if you can name the second and it’s a/c type.

25. In the late 1980s, this Australian airline purchased a 20% stake in a top ten U.S. airline. Identify both airlines involved.

26. What were the only two airlines to convert their 747-200s via the SUD Stretched Upper Deck conversion project?
A N S W E R E D

27. This airline is said to be the first in the UK to employ jet aircraft exclusively on all UK domestic flights. Identify the airline and the aircraft type it was using on those domestic flights

29. When the 747 was introduced in 1970, most airlines had it configured to carry about 350 passengers with a First Class lounge on the upper deck. So far as I know, only U.S. airlines offered coach lounges in their 747s. One airline claimed to offer a seating configuration that included not one but SIX lounges onboard. One upstairs, two in First Class on the main deck and three more back in Economy. Which airline was this?

33. When the Republic merger with Hughes Airwest was finally made official in 1983, the combined route network included service to all but thirteen states. Identify ALL of those states please.
12 out of 2 so far...

35. Identify the two airlines involved in the very first interchange flight service in the U.S. and the year it commenced. Additionally we’re looking for the start and end point of the interchange as well as the connection airport between the two airlines.

38. The Tuskegee Airmen was the famous all-black air force regiment made famous for their aerial and combat prowess during WWII. While many WWII era pilots went on to careers in the commercial airline industry, only one member of the Tuskegee Airmen was ever hired by a US commercial passenger airline. What airline was this?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 27, 2023 at 12:29 am
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:37 am

27. This airline is said to be the first in the UK to employ jet aircraft exclusively on all UK domestic flights. Identify the airline and the aircraft type it was using on those domestic flights
Channel Airways
H.S. 121 Trident
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:22 am

Ah... sorry, must've missed that. How did it end up as a separate thread started by cbn42 in the Travel buzz forum?

States with internal flights
That thread predated my introduction of the topic to this thread; we were about 25 states short. Thanks to you guys, we now have entries for all 50!
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

22. This U.S. “Local Service” airline commenced jet service almost one year before any of its similarly sized local service competitors. Identify the airline and the jet type.
It was not Pacific with the 727
22. Well, let's then head east across our lovely continent....

Mohawk with the BAC One-Eleven.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:30 am

1. This airline had four logo-jets promoting NFL teams. All of the logo-jets were the same aircraft type. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the four NFL teams.
HP 757-200
Baltimore
Phoenix
Denver
Chicago
ETA replace Chicago with Oakland

Last edited by moondog; Mar 26, 2023 at 9:05 am
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550

Channel Airways ~ H.S. 121 Trident

The source I found indicates a different airline and equipment. That said, you're a pretty knowledgeable guy and you live in London so if you have further info in support of Channel Airways I'd love to see it here. We'll compare sources.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
It was not Pacific with the 727

Well, let's then head east across our lovely continent.... Mohawk with the BAC One-Eleven.

You Da Man, JL! Mohawk's BAC-111s were introduced a year before any other local service airline got pure jets, on July 15, 1965.

https://www.yesterdaysairlines.com/a...ohawk-airlines

Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HP 757-200
Baltimore
Phoenix
Denver
Chicago
ETA replace Chicago with Oakland

America West had a lot of logo jets including one for the Arizona Cardinals. That was their lone NFL livery though and so we're looking for a different airline that utilized a different "canvas" than a 757. Additionally, we'll need the name of the NFL franchise as some cities have two. You can do this! As such...

Please, guess again!
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
14. The first Qantas jet flight flown between London and Sydney in 1959 made four enroute stops. Identify them please.

Seems most plausible stops on the Asia route have been eliminated. Perhaps routing was via the Americas. JFK-SFO-HNL-NAN?

Are you asking me or telling me? No, I hear ya - and you are indeed Correct!

Here's a link as confirmation:

https://i0.wp.com/londonairtravel.co...dium.jpg?ssl=1
I actually flew part or perhaps all of this route in reverse a decade later, same airline and at least type of a/c for SYD-NAN-HNL. Don't remember for sure which airline (but definitely 707s) for HNL-SFO and SFO-JFK-LHR. I do remember SFO-JFK being a red eye, eating breakfast at JFK and then arriving in the evening in LHR which woul make sense as the continuation of a morning departure TATL flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.