Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by joejones
I could be wrong but I think Egyptair and Ethiopian are the only two African airlines to ever serve Tokyo. SAA flew to KIX at one point in the 90s, but I believe they never made it to HND or NRT.
I think you're right, Joe. And of course, Ethiopian once spread its wings as far west as Los Angeles
Old Nov 4, 2022, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

32. (1975) With regard to flights published in the North American version of the OAG per the spring of 1975, there is only a single 747 shown to be serving Philadelphia International Airport. Identify that airline and from where it flies its 747 into Philadelphia.

46. (1978)Aside from dozens of Southwest Airlines 737s, only one other jet type can be spotted operating scheduled flights out of Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport. Identify that jet, as well as the airline that operates it and its single destination flown to twice daily from HOU.
32. Let's go with Pan Am operating that 747 flight on the short hop from Baltimore.

46. I'll guess Hughes Airwest with twice daily DC-9-30 service nonstop to Phoenix.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
32. (1975) With regard to flights published in the North American version of the OAG per the spring of 1975, there is only a single 747 shown to be serving Philadelphia International Airport. Identify that airline and from where it flies its 747 into Philadelphia.

jlemonhas provided a very reasonable guess but I am leaning toward something a bit more out there … Lufthansa from Boston/BOS

I'm aware of that flight but for whatever reason it doesn't show up even with the appendage CONDITIONAL STOPOVER TRAFFIC ONLY on the BOS-PHL route. As noted above, Pan Am is the airline of record here. Now all we need is the airport it served PHL from/to.

49. (1978) Ah, what a treat to be able to get out of frigid Fairbanks, Alaska in the dead of winter and head for the sunshine and golf courses of Orlando, Florida. Better yet, you'll be traveling via three nonstop flights, each operated by a different airline. As an added bonus, each flight will be operated by a different type of American built widebody aircraft. Identify the three airlines, the routing including the two connection airports and the three aircraft types.

I'm of the opinion that either Eastern or Delta operating a TriStar from Atlanta is not a part of this answer. I'm also of the opinion that the itinerary starts in Anchorage/ANC even though that isn't explicitly mentioned. So that said, I'll offer Northwest with a DC-10 from ANC to Seattle/SEA, a Continental 747 from SEA to Los Angeles/LAX, and a Delta L-1011 from LAX to MCO

I apologize for the omission of Fairbanks as the airport of origin. These questions are occasionally tricky enough without the occasional lapses to detail that - for me at least - come with working up 40-50 questions at a time so thanks for your patience in this regard .

That said, SEA is correct, as are the Northwest DC-10 and the Delta L-1011. Given the unintentional ambiguity to this question, let's acknowledge that FAI-SEA via the NW D10 is correct! However, LAX and CO are not. We're looking for a different 747 operator flying via an airport other than LAX.

Please, carry on!
Old Nov 4, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by moondog
That rings a bell with me. I had an internship in LH's Boston office during high school, and I vaguely recall the MD telling me that their flight continued on to PHL before my time (but, not his).
I believe Lufthansa was primarily operating a 707 on the tag route from BOS to PHL back then....
Old Nov 4, 2022, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Let's go with Pan Am operating that 747 flight on the short hop from Baltimore.

So far as I know, prior to deregulation in 1978 Pan Am had no domestic revenue routes within the contiguous United States. We're looking for an airport outside the Lower 48 as we say up here in Alaska.

46. (1978) Aside from dozens of Southwest Airlines 737s, only one other jet type can be spotted operating scheduled flights out of Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport. Identify that jet, as well as the airline that operates it and its single destination flown to twice daily from HOU.

I'll guess Hughes Airwest with twice daily DC-9-30 service nonstop to Phoenix.

You Da Man, JL! Hughes Airwest and its DC-9-30 flying bananas are correct! Here are the two flights operated into HOU-

Hughes Airwest RW 32 Houston (HOU) 800a-921a B Tucson (TUS) DC-9-30 Daily
Hughes Airwest RW 981 Houston (HOU) 300p-421p STucson (TUS) DC-9-30 Daily
Old Nov 4, 2022, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

7. (1986) You’ve just been informed that you need to fly from Miami to Barbados next Wednesday to pick up a catamaran and sail it back to its owners at Jupiter, Florida. What tha - BeeWee and Pan Am are both sold between MIA and BGI on that day. A quick call to your travel agent friend reveals a one stop connection involving two nonstop flights - each aboard the same airline with each operating the same aircraft type. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the connection point and the aircraft type.
The airline is based in the Caribbean, named after its island with the connection made at its home base

26. (No Specific Year) Name two U.S. airlines that each operated the DC-9-10 and the 737-100 variants at the same time.
CO is one of 'em. OC and TS are not.

28. (1986) This airline, which actually did exist and actually did operate limited scheduled services with much smaller mainline jet aircraft, is listed in my springtime North American OAG as offering once weekly nonstop F/Y configured 747 services between the following cities and Honolulu: JFK, ORD, IAH, DTW, MCI, MSP. Although these flights apparently never came to fruition, they are nonetheless still published as actual sellable flights in the OAG without any sort of addendum. Can you identify the airline we’re referencing here?
It was not Tower Air. The airline we're looking for did not previously operate 747s

29. (1986) Guillermo flies often between his company’s headquarters in Mexico City and North American branch office in San Antonio, Texas. Due to a spate of negative experiences with his hometown airline Mexicana, he has refused to fly them if at all possible. In the not so distant past, he could always rely on Braniff to cover his transportation needs. Alas, with the demise of Braniff, he must now rely on another airline to transport him between Mexico City and San Antonio. Identify the airline with its single daily nonstop, as well as the equipment type. Apuratepues, hombre!

30. (1986) If it’s Boeing, you ain’t going! Fortunately for your upcoming trip from Gold Coast to Perth, a convenient non-Boeing alternative exists. It involves a nonstop flight to the connection airport, followed by a one-stop flight all the way to the other side of the country in Perth. The same type of aircraft will be used on both flights. Please identify the airline, the aircraft and the route including the intermediate stop between the connection city and Perth.
The aircraft is an F.28 and the second flight stops at Ayers Rock. The airline is neither TN nor AN

31. (1978)You love flying aboard the 747 but unfortunately, the Queen of the Skies is rarely seen in Portland, Oregon. Imagine then your surprise and delight to learn that one airline operates a thrice-weekly 747 nonstop to Honolulu. You quickly book seats in First Class for you and your girlfriend. Identify the airline operating this flight.

A N S W E R E D

33. (1986) Per schedules referenced in a Spring 1986 OAG, what is the only U.S. airline to offer regularly scheduled flights into Montreal’s Mirabel International Airport?

34. (1986) You need to fly from Memphis to Tijuana, Mexico next week and you’ve come up with a superb itinerary involving three nonstop flights aboard three different airlines, each operating the same type and variant of aircraft. Identify the three airlines, the routing and of course the aircraft type/variant.

35. (1986) You need to fly from Leningrad to Seattle next week. Thankfully, you’ve found a great itinerary involving two nonstop flights with a single connection. Best of all, you’ll be on the same airline all the way through. Identify the airline, the routing and the two different aircraft types involved.
A N S W E R E D

36. (1978) Poised at the head of the runway at Tampa International, you are comfortably sat aboard a BAC-111, ready to take off to the only destination served by this aircraft - albeit a combined four days a week at different times. Identify the airline and your destination please.
It's not Bahamasair. The destination is not an island

37. (1975) Flying between Tampa and Santo Domingo offers a range of interesting routings. You believe you’ve found a winner involving three nonstop flights operated by three different airlines, each operating a four engine aircraft built by a different manufacturer. The more astute quiz participants amongst us should be able to identify the routing, the three airlines and the three aircraft types involved.

38. (1986) Please identify the only airline that offers nonstop service between New York’s Westchester County Airport and both Washington National and Washington Dulles airports. What type of aircraft is employed on each route?

39. (1986) Following the successful completion of your sales presentation in Mexico City, it’s time for a few days of well-deserved R&R in the Bahamas. Nassau’s a lot easier to get to but you much prefer Freeport. Imagine then your surprise and delight to have found a convenient online connection between Mexico City and Freeport involving two nonstop flights, each operated with a different type of aircraft. Identify the airline, the connection point and the two aircraft types.

40. (1986) In your mind, Lockheed’s L-1011 is the world’s most beautiful airliner. So, when the opportunity arises to fly not one but two TriStars on your trip between Tunis, Tunisia and Bombay, India next week, you are positively ecstatic! To wit, your trip will involve two nonstop L-1011 flights aboard two different airlines. Identify the two airlines and the connection airport.
It's not BA or AC via LHR, nor Saudia or CX via Jeddah

41. (1978)Ah… you do love a good milk run and in this post-deregulation world it appears you’ve found one operating between Denver and Monterey, CA. Five stops will be made along the way. Unfortunately, First Class is not offered on this flight. Identify the airline, the five enroute stops and the aircraft type/variant utilized.
A N S W E R E D

42. (1975) Business calls in the form of a three day seminar down in Birmingham, Atlanta. From your company headquarters located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, this could prove to be an interesting trip. An exhaustive search of the OAG has revealed an exciting routing involving two one-stop flights, each operated by a different airline, each operating the same aircraft type and variant. Only one routing would appear to meet the above specified parameters. Identify the two airlines, the single enroute stop each flight makes, the connection airport and of course the correct aircraft type.

43. (1986) Business in Mexico calls yet again, this time with a contract to install an air-conditioning system in a new resort hotel being built along the Sea of Cortez in Guaymas, Mexico. Getting there from your home base in Anchorage, Alaska could prove interesting however. Pero no! Your travel agent has found you a great deal where you’ll fly on a three stop flight direct to your connection point. There you’ll overnight and then catch a leisurely flight down to Guaymas the next afternoon. Please identify both airlines involved, the three intermediate stops on the first flight and both aircraft types/variants.

44. (1986) It used to be that Eastern operated a nicely timed nonstop flight between Daytona Beach and Chicago O’Hare. Used to be… Alas, the only option available now is a four-stop direct flight that takes all afternoon to git there. Still, after the disaster you endured last year when your luggage went missing off a connecting flight, you reckon that four stop flight is the safer way to go. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft/variant and the four intermediate stops.

45. (1986) As of the spring of 1986, this African airline had a route system stretching as far west as New York and as far east as Tokyo. Which airline are we talking about here?
A N S W E R E D

46. (1978) Aside from dozens of Southwest Airlines 737s, only one other jet type can be spotted operating scheduled flights out of Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport. Identify that jet, as well as the airline that operates it and its single destination flown to twice daily from HOU.
A N S W E R E D

47. (1986) You need to fly from Toronto to New York JFK next week and all the nonstops are sold out! What tha-?! Your mom lives in the Brookville neighborhood, just across Rockaway Blvd. from the airport and it’s a heckuva lot easier to get to her place on the 137 bus than it is when flying into LaGuardia. There’s gotta be a way to get to JFK! Turns out there is. Your travel agent has found a one-stop online connection involving two different aircraft, both built by the same manufacturer. You’ll have a two hour layover at the connection airport where your friend Brad has agreed to come out and meet you for a coupla brewskis. Then you’ll continue on to JFK where your mom has promised a stuffed squab dinner if you can get home by 730pm. Identify the airline, the connecting point and the two aircraft types.
Single airline, not operating McD/D equipment

48. (1986) Alright, so you need to fly from Los Angeles to Little Rock, Ark’n’sah. This ain’ gon’ b’easy… Well Bubba, it just might be easier than you thought. Turns out there’s a direct 4-stop flight from LA to the connection point and then a nonstop flight to Little Rock. Identify the airline, the four intermediate stops on the first flight and the aircraft type/variant that’s the same for both flights.
HINT: You will not connect anywhere in Texas

49. (1978)Ah… what a treat to be able to get out of frigid Fairbanks, Alaska in the dead of winter and head for the sunshine and golf courses of Orlando, Florida. Better yet, you’ll be traveling via three nonstop flights, each operated by a different airline. As an added bonus, each flight will be operated by a different type of American built widebody aircraft. Identify the three airlines, the routing including the two connection airports and the three aircraft types.
See posts #26853 and #26857

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 5, 2022 at 6:51 pm
Old Nov 4, 2022, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
32- Pan Am 747 operating SJU-PHL

49- UA 747 operating SEA-Chicago/ORD to connect to the DL L10 into MCO

speaking of MCO, I was on an ATR-72 for the first time since 2008, and on Silver Airways for the first time ever

flew MCO-FLL where I saw the “Zero-G” 727-200 parked on a parallel ramp beyond the north runways
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jrl767; Nov 4, 2022 at 3:49 pm
Old Nov 4, 2022, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

32. One more time for today....Pan Am operating a 747 into Philadelphia from San Juan.

46. Whoops! I guessed Phoenix rather than Tucson! I do know that Hughes Airwest subsequently expanded their nonstop service out of Houston Hobby to include Las Vegas as well as Phoenix and Tucson with one stop direct service to both Burbank and Orange County.

And BTW, by 1979 Southwest was operating a second jet type into Houston Hobby, being the 727-200.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA
Per the 1986 schedules I referenced, TAA was running 727-200s across the continent into Perth at the time. While it did operate a single DC-9-30 into Perth, it did not come from any of the Big Four (BNE, SYD, MEL or ADL) Nor did it come in from ASP. Any thoughts on where it came into Perth from?

Additionally, we're still looking for the airline and aircraft that'll answer this question.
Doing the extra first, I think TAA had a go at competing with MacRobertson Miller on Perth to Darwin, but didn't stop along the way. THey had a thin schedule with a DC-9.

For the original question - it has to be an F-28, I don't think there are any other non-Boeing Australian domestic jets left; if TAA is out then the A300 is out. What about Ansett, running Gold Coast-Brisbane, then to Ayers Rock and Perth ? Incidentally, was Gold Coast airport still known as Coolangatta then ?

Or I could cheat and ask my colleague in our Australia office, who lives there, to dig it out . Quick bonus question. Gold Coast airport has a unique feature, by the way. It lies across the state boundary between Queensland and NSW, and while other airports across boundaries are not unknown, this one appears to have a one-off aspect.

Last edited by WHBM; Nov 5, 2022 at 1:39 am
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:29 pm

In 1974 I booked JFK-SJU on Pan Am, but no direct flights were available, so Pan Am put me on the PHL-SJU 747 flight which was ferried from JFK to PHL (that segment was not listed in the schedules). I was one of maybe 5 people on the JFK-PHL portion.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

26. (No Specific Year) Name two U.S. airlines that each operated the DC-9-10 and the 737-100 variants at the same time.
CO is one of 'em
Okay, let's try Aloha for the other (noting that Air Cal is out of the running)

28. (1986) This airline, which actually did exist and actually did operate limited scheduled services with much smaller mainline jet aircraft, is listed in my springtime North American OAG as offering once weekly nonstop F/Y configured 747 services between the following cities and Honolulu: JFK, ORD, IAH, DTW, MCI, MSP. Although these flights apparently never came to fruition, they are nonetheless still published as actual sellable flights in the OAG without any sort of addendum. Can you identify the airline we’re referencing here?
Tower Air
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by dfw88
Didn't Aeroflot fly to SEA for a while using IL-62s across the Pacific? I'm unsure where exactly the connection point was, but it was certainly in far eastern Russia. I'll guess VVO. As for the equipment on the first leg... I have no idea, but I'll start the guessing with an IL-96-300 (may be a bit early for that one).
Hey Seat2a, looks like this response for #35 got lost in the shuffle with all of the fun guessing going on!
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I think #35 is probably a European carrier, maybe BA via LHR on a combo of 757-200 and 747-200. Aeroflot's SEA services came after the fall of the USSR iirc, and I think they were using Western equipment at that point...
Old Nov 5, 2022, 1:37 am

Programs: BA
35. (1986) You need to fly from Leningrad to Seattle next week. Thankfully, you’ve found a great itinerary involving two nonstop flights with a single connection. Best of all, you’ll be on the same airline all the way through. Identify the airline, the routing and the two different aircraft types involved.
I'll go for a flight from what is virtually and commercially a suburb of Leningrad (St Petersburg) nowadays, with a Finnair DC9-10 for the short hop to Helsinki, followed by a Finnair DC-10-30 from Helsinki to Seattle. I think their flights to there used to continue to LAX.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
40. (1986) In your mind, Lockheed’s L-1011 is the world’s most beautiful airliner. So, when the opportunity arises to fly not one but two TriStars on your trip between Tunis, Tunisia and Bombay, India next week, you are positively ecstatic! To wit, your trip will involve two nonstop L-1011 flights aboard two different airlines. Identify the two airlines and the connection airport. It's not BA or AC via LHR
40- I’ll have to agree that the TriStar was my favorite wide-body airliner

for this itinerary I’ll offer Saudia to Jeddah/JED, connecting to Cathay Pacific

47. (1986) You need to fly from Toronto to New York JFK next week and all the nonstops are sold out! What tha-?! Your mom lives in the Brookville neighborhood, just across Rockaway Blvd. from the airport and it’s a heckuva lot easier to get to her place on the 137 bus than it is when flying into LaGuardia. There’s gotta be a way to get to JFK! Turns out there is. Your travel agent has found a one-stop online connection involving two different aircraft, both built by the same manufacturer. You’ll have a two hour layover at the connection airport where your friend Brad has agreed to come out and meet you for a coupla brewskis. Then you’ll continue on to JFK where your mom has promised a stuffed squab dinner if you can get home by 730pm. Identify the airline, the connecting point and the two aircraft types.
47- “a coupla brewskis” suggest Buffalo/BUF, but the “same manufacturer” condition gives me pause

how about an Eastern DC-9-30 out of YYZ to Philadelphia/PHL (which also fits “brewski”), followed by an American DC-10 to JFK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.