Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
perhaps the two parts of the terminal, being in different AU states, are in different time zones?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
37. (1975) Flying between Tampa and Santo Domingo offers a range of interesting routings. You believe you’ve found a winner involving three nonstop flights operated by three different airlines, each operating a four engine aircraft built by a different manufacturer. The more astute quiz participants amongst us should be able to identify the routing, the three airlines and the three aircraft types involved.
37-
  • TPA-Miami/MIA — Air Florida, Lockheed Electra
  • MIA-San Juan/SJU — Pan Am, Boeing 707
  • SJU-SDQ — Aerovias Quisqueyana, Douglas DC-8 (standard; not sure whether a turbofan Series 30/50 or a straight-pipe Series 10/20)
I’m pretty confident here, as we’ve talked about the QH Electras on more than a few occasions

I was also well-acquainted with QQ as my only fantasy hope of getting another flight on a Lockheed Constellation in scheduled service a few years earlier
Old Nov 8, 2022, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Posted in error

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 8, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Old Nov 8, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
48. (1986) Awraht, so you need to fly from Los Angeles ta Little Rock, Ark’n’sah. This ain’ gon’ b’easy… Well Bubba, it just might be easier than you thought. Turns out there’s a direct 4-stop flight from LA to the connection point and then a nonstop flight to Little Rock. Identify the airline, the four intermediate stops on the first flight and the aircraft type/variant that’s the same for both flights.HINT: You will not connect anywhere in Texas
LAX LIT with a ton of stops (1986) - Let's try the original Frontier Airlines. If that's correct, Denver must be one of the stops. I'll also throw in SLC, MCI, and STL (focus cities iirc). I would guess additional stops were not west of Denver because nobody in their right mind would by a 2+ stop flight between LAX and DEN.

Ah... it was not Frontier, especially routing LAX-SLC which by then was a big Western Airlines stronghold. That said, keep in mind that any of the flights to/from the connection point could have routed through Texas. Also, we're looking for the aircraft type here.

As an aside Seat2A , surely there must have some single connection options between LAX and LIT in 1986? I assume LIT had flights from DFW, ATL, ORD, maybe even DTW?

Correct on all counts, except - possibly - DTW. I could also see LAX-MEM-LIT and possibly even LAX-IAH-LIT
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
37. (1975) Flying between Tampa and Santo Domingo offers a range of interesting routings. You believe you’ve found a winner involving three nonstop flights operated by three different airlines, each operating a four engine aircraft built by a different manufacturer. The more astute quiz participants amongst us should be able to identify the routing, the three airlines and the three aircraft types involved.
  • TPA-Miami/MIA — Air Florida, Lockheed Electra
  • MIA-San Juan/SJU — Pan Am, Boeing 707
  • SJU-SDQ — Aerovias Quisqueyana, Douglas DC-8 (standard; not sure whether a turbofan Series 30/50 or a straight-pipe Series 10/20)
I’m pretty confident here, as we’ve talked about the QH Electras on more than a few occasions

You are correct! on all counts. Here's the itinerary:

Air Florida QH 92 Tampa (TPA) 1030a-1120a Miami (MIA) Electra Daily
Pan Am PA 256 Miami (MIA) 125p-340p L San Juan (SJU) 707-320 Daily
Aerovias Quisqueyana QQ 205 San Juan (SJU) 530p-615p Santo Domingo (SDQ-) DC-8-10 357
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

7. (1986) You’ve just been informed that you need to fly from Miami to Barbados next Wednesday to pick up a catamaran and sail it back to its owners at Jupiter, Florida. What tha - BeeWee and Pan Am are both sold between MIA and BGI on that day. A quick call to your travel agent friend reveals a one stop connection involving two nonstop flights - each aboard the same airline with each operating the same aircraft type. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the connection point and the aircraft type.
The airline is based in the Caribbean, named after its island with the connection made at its home base. It's not Air Jamaica and no 727s are involved
Calling WHBM!

28. (1986) This airline, which actually did exist and actually did operate limited scheduled services with much smaller mainline jet aircraft, is listed in my springtime North American OAG as offering once weekly nonstop F/Y configured 747 services between the following cities and Honolulu: JFK, ORD, IAH, DTW, MCI, MSP. Although these flights apparently never came to fruition, they are nonetheless still published as actual sellable flights in the OAG without any sort of addendum. Can you identify the airline we’re referencing here?
It was not Tower Air. The airline we're looking for did not previously operate 747s

29. (1986) Guillermo flies often between his company’s headquarters in Mexico City and North American branch office in San Antonio, Texas. Due to a spate of negative experiences with his hometown airline Mexicana, he has refused to fly them if at all possible. In the not so distant past, he could always rely on Braniff to cover his transportation needs. Alas, with the demise of Braniff, he must now rely on another airline to transport him between Mexico City and San Antonio. Identify the airline with its single daily nonstop, as well as the equipment type. Apuratepues, hombre!

34. (1986) You need to fly from Memphis to Tijuana, Mexico next week and you’ve come up with a superb itinerary involving three nonstop flights aboard three different airlines, each operating the same type and variant of aircraft. Identify the three airlines, the routing and of course the aircraft type/variant.

36. (1978) Poised at the head of the runway at Tampa International, you are comfortably sat aboard a BAC-111, ready to take off to the only destination served by this aircraft - albeit a combined four days a week at different times. Identify the airline and your destination please.
It's not Bahamasair. The destination is not an island

38. (1986) Please identify the only airline that offers nonstop service between New York’s Westchester County Airport and both Washington National and Washington Dulles airports. What type of aircraft is employed on each route?

39. (1986) Following the successful completion of your sales presentation in Mexico City, it’s time for a few days of well-deserved R&R in the Bahamas. Nassau’s a lot easier to get to but you much prefer Freeport. Imagine then your surprise and delight to have found a convenient online connection between Mexico City and Freeport involving two nonstop flights, each operated with a different type of aircraft. Identify the airline, the connection point and the two aircraft types.

42. (1975) Business calls in the form of a three day seminar down in Birmingham, Atlanta. From your company headquarters located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, this could prove to be an interesting trip. An exhaustive search of the OAG has revealed an exciting routing involving two one-stop flights, each operated by a different airline, each operating the same aircraft type and variant. Only one routing would appear to meet the above specified parameters. Identify the two airlines, the single enroute stop each flight makes, the connection airport and of course the correct aircraft type.
It's NC FSD-XXX-CCC and DL CCC-XXX-BHM with a D9S

43. (1986) Business in Mexico calls yet again, this time with a contract to install an air-conditioning system in a new resort hotel being built along the Sea of Cortez in Guaymas, Mexico. Getting there from your home base in Anchorage, Alaska could prove interesting however. Pero no! Your travel agent has found you a great deal where you’ll fly on a three stop flight direct to your connection point. There you’ll overnight and then catch a leisurely flight down to Guaymas the next afternoon. Please identify both airlines involved, the three intermediate stops on the first flight and both aircraft types/variants.

44. (1986) It used to be that Eastern operated a nicely timed nonstop flight between Daytona Beach and Chicago O’Hare. Used to be… Alas, the only option available now is a four-stop direct flight that takes all afternoon to git there. Still, after the disaster you endured last year when your luggage went missing off a connecting flight, you reckon that four stop flight is the safer way to go. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft/variant and the four intermediate stops.

48. (1986) Alright, so you need to fly from Los Angeles to Little Rock, Ark’n’sah. This ain’ gon’ b’easy… Well Bubba, it just might be easier than you thought. Turns out there’s a direct 4-stop flight from LA to the connection point and then a nonstop flight to Little Rock. Identify the airline, the four intermediate stops on the first flight and the aircraft type/variant that’s the same for both flights.
HINT: You will not connect anywhere in Texas
It's not United or Frontier
Old Nov 9, 2022, 12:45 am

Programs: BA
perhaps the two parts of the terminal, being in different AU states, are in different time zones?
Indeed so. I think it's the only airport where the terminal is across two different time zones.

Compounding the situation is that the time zone boundary is right through a major urban area and up the middle of residential streets (I can't think of any places in the USA which are like this), plus one (NSW) does daylight saving), and the other (Queensland) does not, so for six months of the year they are on different times, and the other six they are the same. There's also a lack of signage, let alone clocks, when you cross over. It's bad enough generally in Australia where aviation time (UTC) is up to 11 hours different from local time, and indeed for a good part of the day it's in a different day. The airport authority, as policy, runs the entire airport on Queensland time.

Supposedly it's Gold Coast, but all in Queensland say Surfers (Paradise), and all in NSW say Tweed, the two major centres either side. The Gold Coast airport code is OOL, because it used to be called, and still is by locals, Coolangatta. Confused ?
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 2:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

48. (1986) Awraht, so you need to fly from Los Angeles ta Little Rock, Ark’n’sah. This ain’ gon’ b’easy… Well Bubba, it just might be easier than you thought. Turns out there’s a direct 4-stop flight from LA to the connection point and then a nonstop flight to Little Rock. Identify the airline, the four intermediate stops on the first flight and the aircraft type/variant that’s the same for both flights.HINT: You will not connect anywhere in Texas
LAX LIT with a ton of stops (1986) - Let's try the original Frontier Airlines. If that's correct, Denver must be one of the stops. I'll also throw in SLC, MCI, and STL (focus cities iirc). I would guess additional stops were not west of Denver because nobody in their right mind would by a 2+ stop flight between LAX and DEN.

Ah... it was not Frontier, especially routing LAX-SLC which by then was a big Western Airlines stronghold. That said, keep in mind that any of the flights to/from the connection point could have routed through Texas. Also, we're looking for the aircraft type here.
Ah, I was paining myself to avoid Texas completely. But, since Texas is in play, I definitely want to try WN (Southwest forward) with 737s:

LAX-PHX-ABQ-DAL-MSY
MSY-LIT

(I'm not happy about MSY, but if DAL is involved, the connection point pretty much needs to be in OK, AR, or LA because the Wright Amendment was still in effect.)

Last edited by moondog; Nov 9, 2022 at 3:05 am
Old Nov 9, 2022, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
Compounding the situation is that the time zone boundary is right through a major urban area and up the middle of residential streets (I can't think of any places in the USA which are like this),
I think Louisville, KY still sort of fits this bill because the metro area spills over into Indiana, but it's hard to keep track of because Indiana has been moving the eastern/central time border further and further west. It also jumped on the daylight savings time bandwagon in 2005; I suppose this made things less confusing.

Other state borders between time zones include AZ-CA (but, AZ is effectively the same as CA ~7 months out of the year) and AL-GA. In these cases, look at Yuma, AZ and Columbus, GA.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
7. (1986) You’ve just been informed that you need to fly from Miami to Barbados next Wednesday to pick up a catamaran and sail it back to its owners at Jupiter, Florida. What tha - BeeWee and Pan Am are both sold between MIA and BGI on that day. A quick call to your travel agent friend reveals a one stop connection involving two nonstop flights - each aboard the same airline with each operating the same aircraft type. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the connection point and the aircraft type.
The airline is based in the Caribbean, named after its island with the connection made at its home base. It's not Air Jamaica and no 727s are involved
7- given the eponymous airline and home island, I initially thought of Cayman Airways and Dominicana; however, in perusing back upthread, there was another clue given in the “not JM” response, viz., “an aircraft with somewhat more range than a 727-200

therefore, I’ll posit Air Aruba with a Boeing 757
Old Nov 9, 2022, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

48. (1986) Awraht, so you need to fly from Los Angeles ta Little Rock, Ark’n’sah. This ain’ gon’ b’easy… Well Bubba, it just might be easier than you thought. Turns out there’s a direct 4-stop flight from LA to the connection point and then a nonstop flight to Little Rock. Identify the airline, the four intermediate stops on the first flight and the aircraft type/variant that’s the same for both flights.
HINT: You will not connect anywhere in Texas

Ah, I was paining myself to avoid Texas completely. But, since Texas is in play, I definitely want to try WN (Southwest forward) with 737s:

LAX-PHX-ABQ-DAL-MSY
MSY-LIT

(I'm not happy about MSY, but if DAL is involved, the connection point pretty much needs to be in OK, AR, or LA because the Wright Amendment was still in effect.)

You are definitely on the Wright track here with Southwest and of course its 737s. Additionally, New Orleans (MSY) is correct! as the connection point. As to those enroute stops though, there are FOUR of them between LAX and MSY. Although PHX, ABQ and DAL are quite plausible as a Southwest routing, alas, with the exception of MSY as the connection point, ALL of them will have to be traded out for what in this case would be the correct routing. Lastly, not to nitpick but we've always been variant specific here at the OTAQ&D. There were four different 737 variants operational in 1986, so we're looking for the single type utilized on both flights here.

I sense a correct answer is just around the corner for you...
Old Nov 9, 2022, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Given the eponymous airline and home island, I initially thought of Cayman Airways and Dominicana; however, in perusing back upthread, there was another clue given in the “not JM” response, viz., “an aircraft with somewhat more range than a 727-200”. Therefore, I’ll posit Air Aruba with a Boeing 757

An excellent guess, Sir, but no, it wasn't Air Aruba, which BTW did not acquire its first 757 until 1990.

Additionally, the aircraft was not a 757 of any stripe...

Please, guess again!
Old Nov 9, 2022, 9:54 am

48. (1986) awraht, so you need to fly from los angeles ta little rock, ark’n’sah. This ain’ gon’ b’easy… well bubba, it just might be easier than you thought. Turns out there’s a direct 4-stop flight from la to the connection point and then a nonstop flight to little rock. Identify the airline, the four intermediate stops on the first flight and the aircraft type/variant that’s the same for both flights.
hint: You will not connect anywhere in texas

ah, i was paining myself to avoid texas completely. But, since texas is in play, i definitely want to try wn (southwest forward) with 737s:

Lax-phx-abq-dal-msy
msy-lit

(i'm not happy about msy, but if dal is involved, the connection point pretty much needs to be in ok, ar, or la because the wright amendment was still in effect.)

you are definitely on the wright track here with southwest and of course its 737s. Additionally, new orleans (msy) is correct! as the connection point. As to those enroute stops though, there are four of them between lax and msy. Although phx, abq and dal are quite plausible as a southwest routing, alas, with the exception of msy as the connection point, all of them will have to be traded out for what in this case would be the correct routing. Lastly, not to nitpick but we've always been variant specific here at the otaq&d. There were four different 737 variants operational in 1986, so we're looking for the single type utilized on both flights here.

i sense a correct answer is just around the corner for you...
lax-1tuc-2elp-3sat-4hou-msy (nice straightish line)

737-300
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
48. LAX LIT with a ton of stops (1986)

Let's try the original Frontier Airlines. If that's correct, Denver must be one of the stops. I'll also throw in SLC, MCI, and STL (focus cities iirc). I would guess additional stops were not west of Denver because nobody in their right mind would by a 2+ stop flight between LAX and DEN.

As an aside Seat2A , surely there must have some single connection options between LAX and LIT in 1986? I assume LIT had flights from DFW, ATL, ORD, maybe even DTW?
I can't say fully which airports LIT had service to in 1986 but can definitely confirm flights to DFW and MEM in 1986 as I know we connected through both going to/from LIT growing up. I'm pretty sure the DEN flight I took connected in Wichita and Lincoln though.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
So with that, yours truly and my lady are off to Rome tomorrow via DFW and LHR.
Watched, from a far distance, jl depart LHR today, a bit late, on BA A320Neo G-TTNJ, headed for the Mediterranean. If only ... . Having started early this morning in Geneva, It's already come back from Rome as well, and is currently halfway to Munich - and will be back here again late evening.

Last edited by WHBM; Nov 9, 2022 at 1:48 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.