Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by jrl767
good figuring

MO is CORRECT -- as with the earlier part of this trip, the timetable isn't specific about aircraft type, but the 200-series flight number suggests a Convair 240 which was a large part of their 1963 fleet
GFL and ALB are CORRECT as the intermediate stops
IDL is CORRECT as the gateway connection airport
PA and TW 707s are both CORRECT for the TATL flight options
ORY is CORRECT for both
ZRH is INCORRECT as the second stop on the TW flight
MXP?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 6:14 pm

21. NW on a DC-9-30 flying SAT-MEM-DTW-PHL
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
6. (1966) The New Caledonia Football Federation has reached out to you with an offer to coach their National Team. You were a player on Uruguay’s 1950 World Cup Championship - the one that beat Brazil in one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. As the one-time coach of the Uruguay National team, you guided your squad to the 1959 South American Championship. Coaching the New Caledonian Cagous would be a great challenge! Now then, how to get out there? You quickly discover there is no easy way. After three days of research, you’ve come up with an intriguing itinerary involving five different airlines operating five different jets, each built by a different manufacturer. On your first leg, you’ll fly from Montevideo down to Buenos Aires to visit your brother. The next day the big trip begins with a single nonstop flight out of EZE connecting to three consecutive one stop flights all the way to Noumea. No U.S. airlines will be involved. No Caravelles are involved either. Please identify the five airlines, the route of each flight (I’ve already given you a freebie on the first) and the equipment types.
6- we've discussed Noumea more than a few times; I suspect the one-stop flight ending this itinerary was a UTA DC8, either from Singapore/SIN via Sydney/SYD or from Papeete/PPT via Nandi/NAN

as I couldn't seem to make a three-segment TATL from EZE to SIN work, I think I need to roll out another operation we've discussed more than a few times -- our intrepid footballer has disembarked from the Qantas "Fiesta Route" 707 operating Mexico City/MEX-Acapulco/ACA-PPT

prior to that, let's say AeroPeru with a Convair 990 Lima/LIM - Guayaquil/GYE - MEX, preceded by an Aerolineas Argentinas Comet operating the nonstop EZE-LIM ... all of which points to MVD-EZE being a VC-10 in the colours of British United
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
21. (2001) Who’d have ever thought San Antonio could be such fun?! The River Walk, the Alamo, the great Tex-Mex restaurants and nightlife. You’d love to stay longer but duty calls back home in Philadelphia. You were originally booked on a connection through Dallas but a schedule change rebooked you on a flight getting in after midnight. No way! A quick check of the schedules reveals a single two-stop direct flight that’ll have you back in Philly in time for dinner. Who knew? Book it, Danno! Airline, stops and aircraft type please.

NW on a DC-9-30 flying SAT-MEM-DTW-PHL

A most plausible guess, but nope - we're looking for a different airline and route here.

The DC-9-30 is, however, the aircraft of record.

Please, carry on!
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
6. (1966) The New Caledonia Football Federation has reached out to you with an offer to coach their National Team. You were a player on Uruguay’s 1950 World Cup Championship - the one that beat Brazil in one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. As the one-time coach of the Uruguay National team, you guided your squad to the 1959 South American Championship. Coaching the New Caledonian Cagous would be a great challenge! Now then, how to get out there? You quickly discover there is no easy way. After three days of research, you’ve come up with an intriguing itinerary involving five different airlines operating five different jets, each built by a different manufacturer. On your first leg, you’ll fly from Montevideo down to Buenos Aires to visit your brother. The next day the big trip begins with a single nonstop flight out of EZE connecting to three consecutive one stop flights all the way to Noumea. No U.S. airlines will be involved. No Caravelles are involved either. Please identify the five airlines, the route of each flight (I’ve already given you a freebie on the first) and the equipment types.

We've discussed Noumea more than a few times; I suspect the one-stop flight ending this itinerary was a UTA DC8, either from Singapore/SIN via Sydney/SYD or from Papeete/PPT via Nandi/NAN

As I couldn't seem to make a three-segment TATL from EZE to SIN work, I think I need to roll out another operation we've discussed more than a few times -- our intrepid footballer has disembarked from the Qantas "Fiesta Route" 707 operating Mexico City/MEX-Acapulco/ACA-PPT. Prior to that, let's say AeroPeru with a Convair 990 Lima/LIM - Guayaquil/GYE - MEX, preceded by an Aerolineas Argentinas Comet operating the nonstop EZE-LIM ... all of which points to MVD-EZE being a VC-10 in the colors of British United

Very impressive! Not only to have all those schedules/routes floating around in your head after all these years but to also have the ability to recall them all, in this case, correctly Here's the schedule:

British United BR 661 Montevideo (MVD) 1030a-1005a Buenos Aires (EZE) VC10 Fr
Aerolineas Argentinas AR 360 Buenos Aires (EZE) 1145a-230p Lima (LIM) CM4 Sa
Aerolineas Peruanas EP 098 Lima (LIM) 300p-430p Guayaquil (GYE) 515p-805p Mexico City (MEX) 990 Sa
QANTAS QF Mexico City (MEX) 945p-1035p Acapulco (ACA) 1135p-345a Papeete (PPT) 707 Sa
UTA UT 1589 Papeete (PPT) 700a-945a Nadi (NAN) 1030a-1125a Noumea (NOU) DC-8 Su
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
10. (1989) What a great day for a trip to Hawaii. But then, are there ever any bad days for such an endeavor? Today you’ll commence your travels from Memphis International, flying three nonstop flights aboard three different airlines. Each flight will feature progressively longer equipment with none of the aircraft having been built in the Pacific Northwest. Additionally, none a these flights’re gonna cross over the Mason-Dixon line (G’wan. Lookit up if yew want) So, given these parameters, d’you reckon yer capable of figurin’ out the airlines, the routing and the three aircraft? Git ‘er done!
Any particular airport in Hawaii? Assuming the major one on Oahu, how about:
MEM-DFW AA M80
DFW-LAX DL L10
LAX-HNL UA D8S
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
10. (1989) What a great day for a trip to Honolulu, Hawaii. But then, are there ever any bad days for such an endeavor? Today you’ll commence your travels from Memphis International, flying three nonstop flights aboard three different airlines. Each flight will feature progressively longer equipment with none of the aircraft having been built in the Pacific Northwest. Additionally, none a these flights’re gonna cross over the Mason-Dixon line (G’wan. Lookit up if yew want) So, given these parameters, d’you reckon yer capable of figurin’ out the airlines, the routing and the three aircraft? Git ‘er done!

Any particular airport in Hawaii? Assuming the major one on Oahu, how about:
MEM-DFW AA M80
DFW-LAX DL L10
LAX-HNL UA D8S

Sorry about that, Herb! You're right - it's Honolulu. As to your answer, based upon the schedules available to me at the time, the one aircraft you've correctly identified is the DC-8-60/70 series. And, it did indeed fly out of LAX to HNL. However, the airline wasn't United, although United is involved in the answer - just not the third leg. The L-1011, MD80, DL & AA are all not involved. Knowing all this, it should be pretty easy to clean this up. Good luck!
Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
good figuring
ZRH is INCORRECT as the second stop on the TW flight
MXP?
MXP is CORRECT

so we just have the last part of the 1966 trip question to go:

1966B- You have a Monday evening nonstop from the U.S. to the namesake city in Europe, but getting to the gateway airport from Athens GA is a bit challenging as it involves three flights with a pair of sub-45-minute connections. Please provide all four airlines and aircraft types, as well as the three connecting airports.

< HINT: the first two flights are basically in a westerly direction; the second leg is twice as long as the first >
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:47 am

Programs: BA
4. (1994) It wasn’t so long ago that regularly scheduled flights aboard DC-3s could still be flown in a variety of U.S. states from Alaska to Florida to Arizona to Massachusetts. Today, per the schedules available in the North American OAG used to research this question, only two U.S. airports still enjoy service with the venerable DC-3. Identify those two airports please.
Is it Boston and Provincetown ?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 7:51 am

MXP is CORRECT

so we just have the last part of the 1966 trip question to go:

1966B- You have a Monday evening nonstop from the U.S. to the namesake city in Europe, but getting to the gateway airport from Athens GA is a bit challenging as it involves three flights with a pair of sub-45-minute connections. Please provide all four airlines and aircraft types, as well as the three connecting airports.

< HINT: the first two flights are basically in a westerly direction; the second leg is twice as long as the first >

Okay, the hint seems pretty obvious to me for the first two flights and I’m sure I’ve got the last. The third is throwing me as a nonstop. I think the route is…

AHN-ATL. SO Martin 404
ATL-BHM. EA B727
BHM-JFK DL DC-8
JFK-ATH. OA B707
Old Mar 16, 2022, 8:02 am

14. British United 1-11 via LGW

25. DL DC-8 MBJ-MSY-DAL, connecting to an AA 707 DAL-LAX
Old Mar 16, 2022, 8:07 am

21. yx sat-mci-mke-phl
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, the hint seems pretty obvious to me for the first two flights and I’m sure I’ve got the last. The third is throwing me as a nonstop. I think the route is…

AHN-ATL. SO Martin 404 -- all CORRECT
ATL-BHM. EA B727 -- EA is INCORRECT
BHM-JFK DL DC-8 -- DC8 is INCORRECT
JFK-ATH. OA B707 -- all CORRECT
10 of 12, nicely done
Old Mar 16, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
21. (2001) Who’d have ever thought San Antonio could be such fun?! The River Walk, the Alamo, the great Tex-Mex restaurants and nightlife. You’d love to stay longer but duty calls back home in Philadelphia. You were originally booked on a connection through Dallas but a schedule change rebooked you on a flight getting in after midnight. No way! A quick check of the schedules reveals a single two-stop direct flight that’ll have you back in Philly in time for dinner. Who knew? Book it, Danno! Airline, stops and aircraft type please.
It's not NW but it is a DC-9-30
26. (2001) The North American Stockmen’s Association conference is coming up next month in Kansas City and as Alberta’s leading producer of beef, you’d like to be there. God only knows what kind of convoluted schedule will be required to get you from Calgary to Kansas City, so you are pleasantly surprised when your travel agent calls to inform you that there’s a single daily one-stop direct flight to Kansas City departing Calgary every morning. You request two tickets. First Class, please. Airline, enroute stop and aircraft type please.
It's not a DL 763 via SLC
21. IIRC the only other DC-9 operator in the U.S. at that point was Midwest Express, which had hubs at MCI and MKE. Given this is a 2-stop, I'll go with both, in that order.

EDIT: Actually I see this was already submitted while I was reading through the questions.

26. How about an American Airlines MD-80 through ORD?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 9:44 am

10 of 12, nicely done
ATL-BHM sub UA for EA
BHM-JFK sub DC-9 for DC-8

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.