FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:29 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
6. (1966) The New Caledonia Football Federation has reached out to you with an offer to coach their National Team. You were a player on Uruguay’s 1950 World Cup Championship - the one that beat Brazil in one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. As the one-time coach of the Uruguay National team, you guided your squad to the 1959 South American Championship. Coaching the New Caledonian Cagous would be a great challenge! Now then, how to get out there? You quickly discover there is no easy way. After three days of research, you’ve come up with an intriguing itinerary involving five different airlines operating five different jets, each built by a different manufacturer. On your first leg, you’ll fly from Montevideo down to Buenos Aires to visit your brother. The next day the big trip begins with a single nonstop flight out of EZE connecting to three consecutive one stop flights all the way to Noumea. No U.S. airlines will be involved. No Caravelles are involved either. Please identify the five airlines, the route of each flight (I’ve already given you a freebie on the first) and the equipment types.

We've discussed Noumea more than a few times; I suspect the one-stop flight ending this itinerary was a UTA DC8, either from Singapore/SIN via Sydney/SYD or from Papeete/PPT via Nandi/NAN

As I couldn't seem to make a three-segment TATL from EZE to SIN work, I think I need to roll out another operation we've discussed more than a few times -- our intrepid footballer has disembarked from the Qantas "Fiesta Route" 707 operating Mexico City/MEX-Acapulco/ACA-PPT. Prior to that, let's say AeroPeru with a Convair 990 Lima/LIM - Guayaquil/GYE - MEX, preceded by an Aerolineas Argentinas Comet operating the nonstop EZE-LIM ... all of which points to MVD-EZE being a VC-10 in the colors of British United

Very impressive! Not only to have all those schedules/routes floating around in your head after all these years but to also have the ability to recall them all, in this case, correctly Here's the schedule:

British United BR 661 Montevideo (MVD) 1030a-1005a Buenos Aires (EZE) VC10 Fr
Aerolineas Argentinas AR 360 Buenos Aires (EZE) 1145a-230p Lima (LIM) CM4 Sa
Aerolineas Peruanas EP 098 Lima (LIM) 300p-430p Guayaquil (GYE) 515p-805p Mexico City (MEX) 990 Sa
QANTAS QF Mexico City (MEX) 945p-1035p Acapulco (ACA) 1135p-345a Papeete (PPT) 707 Sa
UTA UT 1589 Papeete (PPT) 700a-945a Nadi (NAN) 1030a-1125a Noumea (NOU) DC-8 Su