Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

37. (1975) Per schedules available in an early 1975 North American OAG, identify the easternmost, southernmost, westernmost and northernmost points in the North American region served by the Lockheed L-188 Electra. Additionally, Identify the airline that operates each flight.

63. (Winter of 1975) Based solely upon schedules found in the North American OAG, identify the longest nonstop flight of a Lockheed L-188 Electra found therein.
37. Yet another wild guess pertaining to the northernmost point served by the Electra in 1975: Pacific Western operating into Cambridge Bay (YCB).

63. I'll guess Reeve Aleutian between Anchorage (ANC) and Shemya Island (SYA).
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I don't think Kelowna got any 727s until the 1990s, when they were cheap on the market. Before that they were mainly a Convair 580 operator.
That indeed makes sense. 1975 would have been too early for Kelowna Flightcraft to have acquired used B727-200 aircraft.

And speaking of the Convair 580, I believe Kelowna Flightcraft stretched several CV-580 aircraft and the result was the Convair 5800 which I think were used strictly for cargo work as I cannot recall the CV-5800 being used to transport passengers.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Unti...L9v6%2BtwBPo8v

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 14, 2020 at 3:31 pm Reason: added Convair 5800 comment & photo link
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
37. (1975) Per schedules available in an early 1975 North American OAG, identify the easternmost, southernmost, westernmost and northernmost points in the North American region served by the Lockheed L-188 Electra. Additionally, Identify the airline that operates each flight.
Port-au-Prince and Port-au-Prince have been identified as the easternmost and suuthernmost points

West = Attu (based solely on looking at a map)

North = I’ll offer a wild guess of Resolute Bay (YRB), even though I only recall Nordair (with a Constellation ~1967) and First Air operating there

Attu is correct. Here's the schedule:

Reeve Aleutian RV 003 Anchorage (ANC) 855a-1200n L Adak (ADK) 1250p-210p Attu (ATU) LEC Op. Tue Fri
ANC-ADK = 1197 miles ADK-ATU = 449 miles Total Mileage = 1646 miles
The one way fare was $272.00, which would be $1347.00 today

North = I’ll offer a wild guess of Resolute Bay (YRB), even though I only recall Nordair (with a Constellation ~1967) and First Air operating there

Although Resolute has seen Electra service before, per the schedule I referenced for this question it saw only 727 and 737 service from Transair, Nordair and PWA
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Per Seat 2A: Noteworthy is that PWA shows as operating a 72S into Inuvik which is interesting as I've not been able to find any evidence they operated the -200. Perhaps they leased one for a short spell. Most of the standard fleet roster sites show only the 737 and 767.

Per WHBM:
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Paci...7-171C/2246966

Thanks for the photo, Mr. M. I was aware that PWA operated 727-100s as I've got a couple examples in my postcard collection. It also operated a 707-138 and a -320 (for charter work), both of which looked quite striking in PWA's attractive livery. As to my mention of the standard fleet roster sites, sorry for the confusion. I meant to indicate that they were limited to just the 737 and 767. I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I might be able to find a roster inclusive of aircraft such as the DC-6 and Convair 640. Unfortunately, I was only able to log one flight aboard PWA before its 1987 purchase of Canadian Pacific Airlines and subsequent renaming as Canadian Airlines International.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA
Reeve Aleutian RV 003 Anchorage (ANC) 855a-1200n
L Adak (ADK) 1250p-210p Attu (ATU) LEC Op. Tue Fri
ANC-ADK = 1197 miles ADK-ATU = 449 miles Total Mileage = 1646 miles
The one way fare was $272.00, which would be $1347.00 today
There used to be a great video on Youtube of a Reeve Electra, firstly from outside starting engines on the ramp at Anchorage, then from inside with water streaming off during takeoff, and finally an impressive curved approach into Port Heiden, down the Aleutians, a more desolate place it is difficult to imagine. Anyone remember it ?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Yet another wild guess pertaining to the northernmost point served by the Electra in 1975: Pacific Western operating into Cambridge Bay (YCB).

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! PWA operated LECs into YCB from Edmonton. Stops were made in Yellowknife (YZF) and Ft. Smith (YSM) (Sat only)

63. (Winter of 1975) Based solely upon schedules found in the North American OAG, identify the longest nonstop flight of a Lockheed L-188 Electra found therein.

I'll guess Reeve Aleutian between Anchorage (ANC) and Shemya Island (SYA)

An excellent guess, JLThe nonstop distance between SYA and ANC comes to 1450 miles. The flight we're looking for flew 1860 miles nonstop. Please, guess again!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There used to be a great video on Youtube of a Reeve Electra, firstly from outside starting engines on the ramp at Anchorage, then from inside with water streaming off during takeoff, and finally an impressive curved approach into Port Heiden, down the Aleutians, a more desolate place it is difficult to imagine. Anyone remember it ?
It's not a video, but you might enjoy this article written by Henry Tenby, who also produces a number of entertaining Classic Airliner DVDs
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A N S W E R ED
Easternmost: Nassau - Inagua - Port Au Prince 72.30°W Flamingo Airways
Southernmost: Nassau - Inagua - Port Au Prince 18.59°N Flamingo Airways
Westernmost: Anchorage – Adak – Attu 172.89°E Reeve Aleutian
Northernmost: Yellowknife – Cambridge Bay 69.12°N Pacific Western

40 . (1959) From San Diego you’ll continue on to Dallas, Texas. There’s a well-timed departure out of Lindbergh every Friday evening offering something called Royal Cavalier Service. Hmm. Sounds nice. Let’s book it. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
It was not Delta or a DC-7

54. (2001) For years it seems like the only places you could fly direct to out of Bangor, Maine were ex-Northeast Airlines routes down east. Things are looking up though with a new two-stop direct flight from Bangor to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the aircraft type to be used on this new service.

56. (1995) You’ve just been offered a chance to join the editorial staff of Milwaukee based Kalmbach
Publishing, publishers of your favorite monthly periodical, Trains Magazine. First however, you’ll have to fly to Milwaukee for an interview. From your home in Salt Lake City, you’re surprised to find that no airline offers nonstop flights to Milwaukee. In fact, only one airline even offers direct flights with two almost daily departures. You book a seat on the afternoon flight. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

A N S W E R E D

61. (1975) You need to fly from San Juan, PR to Boston. Both of the nonstop flights are sold out but there is a single daily one-stop direct flight that does have space in both First Class and Coach. First Class, please. The flight also has an equipment change at the enroute stopover point. Identify the airline, the routing and the two aircraft types employed on this flight.
A N S W E R E D

62 . (1959) You’re flying on a domestic flight to Miami, Florida. The service could not be finer and you can even have a drink in a galley equipped lounge after lunch. Only one flight fits the bill. Identify the airline and which city you’re flying into Miami from.

This service was not flown north of the 49th parallel

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 15, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, indeed, and if my memory serves me correctly, I think someone may have posted the link to this video right here on the OTAQ&D many moons ago......
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:02 am

For the bonus question, I'll go with New Zealand. I think the only jet (before the 727, DC-9 and 737 became commonplace) that could make it into the original Auckland airport would have been a BOAC Comet IV.

40. A Delta DC-7. DL did not serve SAN at this time, so the flight would have been part of the AA / DL interchange, with AA crew flying the aircraft.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
For the bonus question, I'll go with New Zealand. I think the only jet (before the 727, DC-9 and 737 became commonplace) that could make it into the original Auckland airport would have been a BOAC Comet IV.
Joe, spot on. The new Auckland airport opened at the start of 1966, which was able to handle 707/DC8s. This enabled Air New Zealand to finally buy its first jets, DC8s

Before then Air NZ (it was called TEAL then) and Qantas ran a joint service across to Australia with Electras. Canadian Pacific had to keep its last couple of Britannias for the low frequency service from Vancouver. Pan Am outstationed their last DC7C at Fiji, to make a connection there with their transpacific 707. And BOAC ... managed to get in with Comets, which came all the way from the UK, which had a reduced field requirement compared to the US jets.

What about UTA, to the French islands of the area ? Well, the once-weekly service to Noumea was a shared operation with TEAL, who in turn chartered the BOAC Comet, one of which spent an extra night at Auckland in order run to a return to Noumea and back. I really should have kept that one for a bonus question !

In the late 1950s, when the DC6/Connie generation were coming to the end of their time, the replacement fleet down there was a real conundrum. Melbourne in Australia had exactly the same issue about a 707/DC8 before the new airport at Tullamarine opened (and the same jet service only by BOAC Comets). De Havilland thought they would make a Comet 4 sale, Vickers portrayed the Vanguard as more economical, but a real bit of US-style salesmanship enabled Lockheed to make the end run, a single overall deal for the Electra to Qantas, TEAL, Ansett and TAA all together with an Australian support base left the UK manufacturers completely outsold.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

56. (1995) You’ve just been offered a chance to join the editorial staff of Milwaukee based Kalmbach Publishing, publishers of your favorite monthly periodical, Trains Magazine. First however, you’ll have to fly to Milwaukee for an interview. From your home in Salt Lake City, you’re surprised to find that no airline offers nonstop flights to Milwaukee. In fact, only one airline even offers direct flights with two almost daily departures. You book a seat on the afternoon flight. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.
56. I'll guess Vanguard operating B737-200 service with stops at Denver and Kansas City.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:33 am

Joe, spot on. The new Auckland airport opened at the start of 1966, which was able to handle 707/DC8s. This enabled Air New Zealand to finally buy its first jets, DC8s

Before then Air NZ (it was called TEAL then) and Qantas ran a joint service across to Australia with Electras. Canadian Pacific had to keep its last couple of Britannias for the low frequency service from Vancouver. Pan Am outstationed their last DC7C at Fiji, to make a connection there with their transpacific 707. And BOAC ... managed to get in with Comets, which came all the way from the UK, which had a reduced field requirement compared to the US jets.

What about UTA, to the French islands of the area ? Well, the once-weekly service to Noumea was a shared operation with TEAL, who in turn chartered the BOAC Comet, one of which spent an extra night at Auckland in order run to a return to Noumea and back. I really should have kept that one for a bonus question !

In the late 1950s, when the DC6/Connie generation were coming to the end of their time, the replacement fleet down there was a real conundrum. Melbourne in Australia had exactly the same issue about a 707/DC8 before the new airport at Tullamarine opened (and the same jet service only by BOAC Comets). De Havilland thought they would make a Comet 4 sale, Vickers portrayed the Vanguard as more economical, but a real bit of US-style salesmanship enabled Lockheed to make the end run, a single overall deal for the Electra to Qantas, TEAL, Ansett and TAA all together with an Australian support base left the UK manufacturers completely outsold.
Hobby Master makes a 1:200 model of an Air New Zealand Electra, with Qantas titles, representing an aircraft used on the joint service. This is one of the few times Qantas titles appeared in green. If you like die cast models, this one is a beauty.
jlemon and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
40 . (1959) From San Diego you’ll continue on to Dallas, Texas. There’s a well-timed departure out of Lindbergh every Friday evening offering something called Royal Cavalier Service. Hmm. Sounds nice. Let’s book it. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

A Delta DC-7. DL did not serve SAN at this time, so the flight would have been part of the AA / DL interchange, with AA crew flying the aircraft.

A good guess, and to be sure Delta was once part of a three airline transcon interchange. In this case however, we're looking at a different airline - not one of the majors...
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
56. (1995) You’ve just been offered a chance to join the editorial staff of Milwaukee based Kalmbach Publishing, publishers of your favorite monthly periodical, Trains Magazine. First however, you’ll have to fly to Milwaukee for an interview. From your home in Salt Lake City, you’re surprised to find that no airline offers nonstop flights to Milwaukee. In fact, only one airline even offers direct flights with two almost daily departures. You book a seat on the afternoon flight. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

I'll guess Vanguard operating B737-200 service with stops at Denver and Kansas City.

That's the ticket, JL. Coincidentally, I was just perusing the latest copies of Trains Magazine and Passenger Train Journal this morning. Here's the schedule...

Vanguard NJ 108 Salt Lake City (SLC) 125p-240p Denver (DEN) 305p-540p Kansas City (MCI) 605p-725p Milwaukee (MKE) 737-200 X6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.