Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
12. (2001) Summer is not the best time to be visiting the Dominican Republic, but if you want a chance at winning the contract to supply air-conditioning for a new 310 room resort outside of Santo Domingo, then off you go. Logging in on your new laptop, you access aa.com only to discover that all of AA’s flights into SDQ are sold out in both First Class and Coach. What the – alright then, who else flies down there? I mean, outside of AA, there aren’t a lot of options these days. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover another airline operating a single daily nonstop flight between Boston and Santo Domingo. Even American has never flown nonstop on this route. You quickly book a First Class seat. Identify the airline and the aircraft type operated here.
HINT: We're looking for a U.S. airline

Ah, I meant to say TWA with nonstop Boeing 757-200 service from Boston to Santo Domingo in the DR.

Sure you did, JL! Here's the schedule:

TWA 150 Boston (BOS) 715a-1114a Santo Domingo (SDQ) Boeing 757-200 Daily
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
2- The flight makes three stops enroute, but hey – it sure beats connecting in Atlanta ... we're looking at RSW - MCO - _____ - MCI - SAN.
UPDATE: You'd better tap in quick before jlemon or JoeDTW beat you to it!
2- hmmmmmmmm .... you didn't say anything about staying on board a through flight via ATL ... so that's my guess
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
2- The flight makes three stops enroute, but hey – it sure beats connecting in Atlanta ... we're looking at RSW - MCO - _____ - MCI - SAN.

Hmmmmmmmm .... you didn't say anything about staying on board a through flight via ATL ... so that's my guess

Nope - it wasn't Atlanta. The airport we're looking for is ___________________
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
2- this is gonna take almost as long as that three-stop single-plane TCON trip, since I have to be off the grid for the next few hours

I don't remember every BN destination in 1988, and I'm not gonna refer to "Departed Flights", but if I look at a map of the U.S., there are three other candidate cities that weren't hubs for other carriers ... start with the southernmost, New Orleans (MSY)
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2- I don't remember every BN destination in 1988, and I'm not gonna refer to "Departed Flights", but if I look at a map of the U.S., there are three other candidate cities that weren't hubs for other carriers ... start with the southernmost, New Orleans (MSY)

Keep in mind some carriers shared hubs, and of course just because America West hubbed out of LAS wouldn't preclude BN from flying through there enroute to, say, Reno. Anyway, I'm sure you know all this, so cutting to the chase - look farther north!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

18 . (1959) Your little sister is finally getting married and you can’t wait to go to the wedding. Problem is, she’s getting married in San Francisco and you live outside of St. Louis, MO. This is gonna be an expensive trip. And a long one. You’ll probably have a couple of stops enroute. Imagine then your surprise when you discover a flight operating nonstop between St. Louis and Oakland. It leaves St. Louis at 9:00pm, arriving Oakland at 1:25am so you’ll have to overnight at OAK and then catch the ferry across to San Francisco the next day. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.
The aircraft was a DC-6 and the airline was Trans- something or other... That's right. Its name started with "Trans-" and it operated on behalf of Currey Air Transport, one of 17 carriers holding individual exemptions from the CAB as "irregular transport carriers"

I'm going to go ahead and clear this off as I think it's a bit too eclectic - especially given that the ad I referenced for this question clearly says to call the airline for days of operation. For this I apologize and from now on will stick to scheduled airline services unless the question is of an historic nature about supplemental carriers such as Saturn Airways or Universal Airlines.

Posted below is a picture of the ad taken from my 1959 OAG

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 6, 2020 at 11:32 pm
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We're down to just two questions out of an original batch of 35. At this point, go ahead and answer as many as you want!

2 . (1988) You’ve recently relocated to a new job in Ft. Myers, Florida and you now have your first travel assignment – a trip to San Diego. A check of your pocket flight guide reveals lots of connection possibilities, but what’s this? The RSW-SAN market just happens to be served by a single direct flight that will put you into San Diego in perfect time for a late dinner with colleagues flying in from the Pacific Northwest. The flight makes three stops enroute, but hey – it sure beats connecting in Atlanta or Dallas. Name the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops.
It's Braniff operating RSW-MCO-____ -MCI-SAN The missing city is not ATL or MSY

16. (2001) It’s been an unusually hot summer in Dallas, so when business calls in the form of a weekend conference in Freeport, Bahamas, you couldn’t be happier. In fact, you’re positively ecstatic upon learning you won’t have to make a connection because there’s a one-stop direct flight between DFW and FPO. You quickly book yourself a seat in the forward cabin and start packing your bag. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 7, 2020 at 2:44 pm
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
16. (2001) It’s been an unusually hot summer in Dallas, so when business calls in the form of a weekend conference in Freeport, Bahamas, you couldn’t be happier. In fact, you’re positively ecstatic upon learning you won’t have to make a connection because there’s a one-stop direct flight between DFW and FPO. You quickly book yourself a seat in the forward cabin and start packing your bag. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
It's not US Air or TWA or AA, not a 737, 757 or MD80 and the flight did not route via CLT, MIA or JFK. The "forward cabin" does not necessarily mean "First Class" Some airlines refer to their product up there differently.
AirTran DC-9-30 with a stop in ATL?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
It's not US Air or TWA or AA, not a 737, 757 or MD80 and the flight did not route via CLT, MIA or JFK. The "forward cabin" does not necessarily mean "First Class" Some airlines refer to their product up there differently.

Now we're talkin'! Good call, Herb (And good to see you back here ) Air Tran Business Class via Atlanta is correct. However, we're looking for a different aircraft than the DC-9-30. Care to tap in?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 7, 2020 at 11:52 am
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2- RSW - MCO - _____ - MCI - SAN
the comments about "just because it was another carrier's hub didn't preclude BN from flying there" plus "further north than MSY" are hinting I should guess Memphis (MEM)

Originally Posted by Herb687
Now we're talkin'! Good call, Herb (And good to see you back here ) Air Tran Business Class via Atlanta is correct. However, we're looking for a different aircraft than the DC-9-30. Care to tap in?
16- I know you hate 2-in-1 "either/or" answers, but at this point of the current Quiz (and when an incorrect guess will result in a gimme) I'm willing to go for it

FL only had two other types in its fleet, namely the Boeing 737-700 and 717 (nee MD-95) ... the term "different aircraft" suggests the 73G
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA
18 . (1959) Your little sister is finally getting married and you can’t wait to go to the wedding. Problem is, she’s getting married in San Francisco and you live outside of St. Louis, MO. This is gonna be an expensive trip. And a long one. You’ll probably have a couple of stops enroute. Imagine then your surprise when you discover a flight operating nonstop between St. Louis and Oakland. It leaves St. Louis at 9:00pm, arriving Oakland at 1:25am so you’ll have to overnight at OAK and then catch the ferry across to San Francisco the next day. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.
The aircraft was a DC-6 and the airline was Trans- something or other... That's right. Its name started with "Trans-" and it operated on behalf of Currey Air Transport, one of 17 carriers holding individual exemptions from the CAB as "irregular transport carriers"

I'm going to go ahead and clear this off as I think it's a bit too eclectic - especially given that the ad I referenced for this question clearly says to call the airline for days of operation. For this I apologize and from now on will stick to scheduled airline services unless the question is of an historic nature about supplemental carriers such as Saturn Airways or Universal Airlines.

Posted below is a picture of the ad taken from my 1959 OAG
I can only offer that this airline seems to have paid for publicity but never started.

Currey AT, doing business as Trans-Continental Airlines, based at Oakland, started in the late 1940s with DC-3s. They had a fatal accident with a Burbank to Oakland DC3 flight in September 1955, and that was that. However, Currey reactivated, under their own name, with two DC-6A cargo aircraft, ran them for about a year, then closed down,.

Otherwise, no trace of either Currey or Trans-Continental having had DC-6Bs.

A separate airline called Trans Continental, likely no connection, started up at Detroit Willow Run with DC-6As in 1978 and became quite a force in automotive parts supply cargo flights with, for its era, a very late and large DC-6A fleet. They even got some DC-8s later on, but never did passenger flights.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2 . (1988) You’ve recently relocated to a new job in Ft. Myers, Florida and you now have your first travel assignment – a trip to San Diego. A check of your pocket flight guide reveals lots of connection possibilities, but what’s this? There’s a single direct flight that will put you into San Diego in perfect time for a late dinner with colleagues flying in from the Pacific Northwest. The flight makes three stops enroute, but hey – it sure beats connecting in Atlanta or Dallas. Name the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops.
It's Braniff operating RSW-MCO-____-MCI-SAN The missing city is not ATL or MSY

the comments about "just because it was another carrier's hub didn't preclude BN from flying there" plus "further north than MSY" are hinting I should guess Memphis (MEM)

Alas, it was not MEM. The airport we're looking for serves a city famous for turning its downtown river green for St. Patrick's Day...

I know you hate 2-in-1 "either/or" answers, but at this point of the current Quiz (and when an incorrect guess will result in a gimme) I'm willing to go for it. FL only had two other types in its fleet, namely the Boeing 737-700 and 717 (nee MD-95) ... the term "different aircraft" suggests the 73G

Sorry, J - it was the 717-200. Air Tran did not take delivery of its first 737-700 until 2004, whereas the 717 joined the fleet in 1999. My first flight aboard a 717 came aboard an Air Tran bird in Business Class back in 2000. Here's the schedule for the DFW-ATL-FPO flights...

AirTran FL Dallas (DFW) 550a-859a Atlanta (ATL) 1000a-1145a Freeport (FPO) Boeing 717-200 Daily
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
I can only offer that this airline seems to have paid for publicity but never started.

Currey AT, doing business as Trans-Continental Airlines, based at Oakland, started in the late 1940s with DC-3s. They had a fatal accident with a Burbank to Oakland DC3 flight in September 1955, and that was that. However, Currey reactivated, under their own name, with two DC-6A cargo aircraft, ran them for about a year, then closed down,.

Otherwise, no trace of either Currey or Trans-Continental having had DC-6Bs.
Thanks, WHBM An internet search turned up this book excerpt offering a bit more insight into Currey's operations
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2 . (1988) You’ve recently relocated to a new job in Ft. Myers, Florida and you now have your first travel assignment – a trip to San Diego. A check of your pocket flight guide reveals lots of connection possibilities, but what’s this? There’s a single direct flight that will put you into San Diego in perfect time for a late dinner with colleagues flying in from the Pacific Northwest. The flight makes three stops enroute, but hey – it sure beats connecting in Atlanta or Dallas. Name the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops.
It's Braniff operating RSW-MCO-____-MCI-SAN The missing city is not ATL or MSY or MEM. The airport we're looking for serves a city famous for turning its downtown river green for St. Patrick's Day...

I'll leave this question up until early this evening. Barring correct identification of the missing airport, it goes away and we'll post some new questions.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's Braniff operating RSW-MCO-____-MCI-SAN The missing city is not ATL or MSY or MEM. The airport we're looking for serves a city famous for turning its downtown river green for St. Patrick's Day...
2- the only city I can think of that meets this criterion is Chicago ... so now the question is whether BN served Midway (MDW) or O'Hare (ORD)

and with that inspiration, I think I'll head to the store and pick up some Guinness

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.