Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: BA
6. (1965)
Your 20th high school reunion is coming up and you’ve decided to attend. The problem is, you went to school in Minneapolis and these days you live and work in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Hopefully your travel agent can find a way to get you up north quickly and easily. She calls back to inform you that rather surprisingly there’s a four stop direct flight departing CHA each morning that’ll get you into MSP in the early afternoon. No First Class is offered, but you decide to book anyway. Identify the airline, the four intermediate stops and of course, the aircraft type

The only airline I can think of that served both Chattanooga and Minneapolis in 1965 would be Eastern. Potentially straight up, through Nashville, Louisville, Indianapolis and Chicago, which all I think were Eastern stops then. Lack of first class is a bit strange, but lets go for an Electra, as I think they were all refitted for one class operation to use on the Shuttle.

Eastern is correct! Additionally, you're on the right track with your routing as Nashville, Louisville and Chicago were all involved along with one additional as yet unnamed city. The aircraft however was not the Electra. Let's knock this one off before bedtime.
OK, let's start guessing cities. What about Milwaukee ? As for the aircraft type, not an Electra, and I think all Eastern's normal jets were two class. At the other end of the scale their Convair 440s were "theoretically" first class only - the old A class. Eastern had turned some L1049 Connies into single class for the pioneer Shuttle aircraft, but they also were running down their DC-7Bs as well. Decisions. Let's go for a DC-7B.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
15 . (1988) In mid-1988, only two airlines were operating Lockheed’s L-1011 into Detroit’s Wayne County International Airport. Identify each airline and the city its L-1011 served Detroit from

Royal Jordanian, Amman (AMM) via Shannon (SNN)
Total Air, LAX

But with the answer of BA already given and deemed correct, that would make 3 airlines. Wouldn't it?
if true, yes, but SNN-DTW wouldn’t appear in a North American OAG
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

8. (1965) Your Aunt Mildred is heading off to Mexico for a week and needs someone to housesit and look after her cats. She’ll even pay for your roundtrip airfare from your home in St. Louis to her home in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Well alrighty then! We’ve got a deal! It just so happens there’s one flight a day between STL and FSD and it makes three enroute stops. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops.

23. (1995) Your Miami based company is hosting a weekend retreat next month for its best sales executives up the coast in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Hmm… getting there is gonna involve at least one connection, maybe two. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a four stop milk run. In 1995, no less – just like the good old days! You quickly book yourself a seat and select a window ahead of the wing. Name the airline, all of the enroute stops in order and the aircraft type.
8. Hmmmmm.....I immediately thought of Ozark here, perhaps with a Fairchild F-27.....but then I thought again. So I now believe this may have been Braniff International flying a routing of St. Louis (STL) - Kansas City (MKC) - Omaha (OMA) - Sioux City (SUX) - Sioux Falls (FSD).....and perhaps on to Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP). And while I'd like to say this service was being operated with a brand new BAC One-Eleven, it's more likely it was being flown with what BN called a "Convairliner" which may have been a Convair 440.

23. Four stops en route from Miami to Myrtle Beach, you say......in 1995. Well, this sure sounds like a new start-up op and may well be an air carrier we have discussed here before.... Air South. Let's start with the routing: Miami (MIA) - Tampa (TPA) - Tallahassee (TLH) - Atlanta (ATL) - Columbia (CAE) - Myrtle Beach (MYR). And as for the equipment, I think Air South only operated one aircraft type: the Boeing 737-200.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
It's a shame Jimmy Buffett (little known musically in the UK) doesn't contribute to this thread. A notable old aviation enthusiast, he for a long time flew his own Grumman Albatross flying boat, as well as a range of other personal aircraft. Here he is, looking at his Albatross on the cover of his book A Pirate looks At Fifty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Pira...s_at_Fifty.jpg
This jogged my memory a bit......and Jimmy Buffett had a couple of close calls while flying his HU-16 Albatross which he had named "Hemisphere Dancer".

Back in April of 1994, Mr. Buffett crashed off of Nantucket in the ocean while flying alone in his Albatross. Fortunately, being an intrepid sailor, he knew how to swim. The aircraft was later recovered.

Then in 1996 in Jamaica, Mr. Buffett was shot at by Jamaican law enforcement authorities who mistakenly thought his Albatross was being used to smuggle drugs. On board the aircraft besides Jimmy and his co-pilot were U2 front man Bono along with his wife and kids as well as Chris Blackwell who founded Island Records and now owns and runs the GoldenEye resort in the Jamaica (Lady K and yours truly got to meet Mr. Blackwell some years ago when we vacationed at GoldenEye). The aircraft reportedly was hit several times by police gunfire and Jamaican authorities later apologized for the incident. Very fortunately, no one was injured.

The "Hemisphere Dancer" was retired some years ago and is currently on static display at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville in Orlando:

https://www.margaritavilleorlando.com/lone-palm
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Don't the freight compartment on narrow body combis (737s and 727s) forward to minimize risk loading equipment running into the wing? Only rear-loading combis I can think of are 747s?
My understanding was freight was required to be forward of passengers on U.S. and Canada registered aircraft (both narrow and widebody), but not foreign aircraft operating here, which is why I made that comment that it would be a foreign airline (turns out I was reading too much into the "forward cabin" bit anyway). I don't recall if any U.S. airline ever had a 747 combi?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
13- let’s go with that NA 747 from Tampa (TPA)
That's the ticket, J. On Friday only, NA operated a 747 routing MIA-TPA-LAS and back the same way.

NA 21 Miami (MIA) 1145a-1234p Tampa (TPA) 110p-245p L Las Vegas (LAS) 747 Fri only
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
15 . (1988) In mid-1988, only two airlines were operating Lockheed’s L-1011 into Detroit’s Wayne County International Airport. Identify each airline and the city its L-1011 served Detroit from

Royal Jordanian, Amman (AMM) via Shannon (SNN)
Total Air, LAX

But with the answer of BA already given and deemed correct, that would make 3 airlines. Wouldn't it?
Royal Jordanian still flies to Detroit.

Sorry, Mr. T - the mystery airline is neither Rpyal Jordanian or Total Air, though it had a livery almost identical to Air America.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Your 20th high school reunion is coming up and you’ve decided to attend. The problem is, you went to school in Minneapolis and these days you live and work in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Hopefully your travel agent can find a way to get you up north quickly and easily. She calls back to inform you that rather surprisingly there’s a four stop direct flight departing CHA each morning that’ll get you into MSP in the early afternoon. No First Class is offered, but you decide to book anyway. Identify the airline, the four intermediate stops and of course, the aircraft type

The only airline I can think of that served both Chattanooga and Minneapolis in 1965 would be Eastern. Potentially straight up, through Nashville, Louisville, Indianapolis and Chicago, which all I think were Eastern stops then. Lack of first class is a bit strange, but lets go for an Electra, as I think they were all refitted for one class operation to use on the Shuttle.

Eastern is correct! Additionally, you're on the right track with your routing as Nashville, Louisville and Chicago were all involved along with one additional as yet unnamed city. The aircraft however was not the Electra. Let's knock this one off before bedtime.

OK, let's start guessing cities. What about Milwaukee ? As for the aircraft type, not an Electra, and I think all Eastern's normal jets were two class. At the other end of the scale their Convair 440s were "theoretically" first class only - the old A class. Eastern had turned some L1049 Connies into single class for the pioneer Shuttle aircraft, but they also were running down their DC-7Bs as well. Decisions. Let's go for a DC-7B.

Right on, Mr. M! Here's the schedule - Eastern EA 122 Chattanooga (CHA) 815a-751a Nashville (BNA) 815a-1003a S Louisville (SDF) 1040a-1102a Chicago (ORD) 1135a-1208p Milwaukee (MKE) 1230p-156p L Minneapolis (MSP) DC-7Daily X6
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
8. (1965) Your Aunt Mildred is heading off to Mexico for a week and needs someone to housesit and look after her cats. She’ll even pay for your roundtrip airfare from your home in St. Louis to her home in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Well alrighty then! We’ve got a deal! It just so happens there’s one flight a day between STL and FSD and it makes three enroute stops. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops.

Hmmmmm.....I immediately thought of Ozark here, perhaps with a Fairchild F-27.....but then I thought again. So I now believe this may have been Braniff International flying a routing of St. Louis (STL) - Kansas City (MKC) - Omaha (OMA) - Sioux City (SUX) - Sioux Falls (FSD).....and perhaps on to Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP). And while I'd like to say this service was being operated with a brand new BAC One-Eleven, it's more likely it was being flown with what BN called a "Convairliner" which may have been a Convair 440.

See how easy that was? Correct-a-mundo! Here's the schedule:

Braniff BN 340 St. Louis (STL) 445p-610p Kansas City (MKC) 645p-748p S Omaha (OMA) 803p-838p Sioux City (SUX) 853p-928p Sioux Falls (FSD) Convair 340 Daily X6

23. (1995) Your Miami based company is hosting a weekend retreat next month for its best sales executives up the coast in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Hmm… getting there is gonna involve at least one connection, maybe two. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a four stop milk run. In 1995, no less – just like the good old days! You quickly book yourself a seat and select a window ahead of the wing. Name the airline, all of the enroute stops in order and the aircraft type.

Four stops en route from Miami to Myrtle Beach, you say......in 1995. Well, this sure sounds like a new start-up op and may well be an air carrier we have discussed here before.... Air South. Let's start with the routing: Miami (MIA) - Tampa (TPA) - Tallahassee (TLH) - Atlanta (ATL) - Columbia (CAE) - Myrtle Beach (MYR). And as for the equipment, I think Air South only operated one aircraft type: the Boeing 737-200.

Even easier! Air South is the way to go. I flew with them from PIE to MIA in 1996. $19 one way and a nice flight from check in to Baggage retrieval.

Air South WV 202 Miami (MIA) 745a-840a St. Petersburg (PIE) 855a-940a Tallahassee (TLH) 955a-1050a Atlanta (ATL) 1110a-1205p Columbia (CAE) 1220p-105p Myrtle Beach (MYR) 737-200 X7
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4. (1975)A good business opportunity has arisen in San Francisco, one that the whole world must be aware of based upon the fact that you can’t find a seat on any of the nonstop flights between Salt Lake and any of the Bay Area airports. But wait! Three seats are still available on a four stop direct flight into SFO that even includes a snack served enroute. Oh Boy! Identify the airline, the four enroute stops in order and of course the aircraft type.
It's neither United nor a 737-200
4- let’s try the Top Banana In The West — Hughes AirWest — operating a DC-9-10 via Boise (BOI), Portland (PDX), Eugene (EUG), and Medford (MFR)
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA
18 . (1959)
Your little sister is finally getting married and you can’t wait to go to the wedding. Problem is, she’s getting married in San Francisco and you live outside of St. Louis, MO. This is gonna be an expensive trip. And a long one. You’ll probably have a couple of stops enroute. Imagine then your surprise when you discover an inexpensive flight operating nonstop between St. Louis and Oakland. It leaves St. Louis at 9:00pm, arriving Oakland at 1:25am so you’ll have to overnight at OAK and then catch the ferry across to San Francisco the next day. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.
What about Transocean, with a Lockheed Constellation ?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

4. (1975)A good business opportunity has arisen in San Francisco, one that the whole world must be aware of based upon the fact that you can’t find a seat on any of the nonstop flights between Salt Lake and any of the Bay Area airports. But wait! Three seats are still available on a four stop direct flight into SFO that even includes a snack served enroute. Oh Boy! Identify the airline, the four enroute stops in order and of course the aircraft type.

Let's try the Top Banana In The West — Hughes AirWest — operating a DC-9-10 via Boise (BOI), Portland (PDX), Eugene (EUG), and Medford (MFR)

You're on the right track with Hughes Airwest, J - However, we're talking a slightly larger variant of the DC-9 and the only correct enroute stop you've listed is Portland. Please, carry on!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Let's try the Top Banana In The West — Hughes AirWest — operating a DC-9-10 via Boise (BOI), Portland (PDX), Eugene (EUG), and Medford (MFR)

You're on the right track with Hughes Airwest, J - However, we're talking a slightly larger variant of the DC-9 and the only correct enroute stop you've listed is Portland. Please, carry on!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

18 . (1959)
Your little sister is finally getting married and you can’t wait to go to the wedding. Problem is, she’s getting married in San Francisco and you live outside of St. Louis, MO. This is gonna be an expensive trip. And a long one. You’ll probably have a couple of stops enroute. Imagine then your surprise when you discover a flight operating nonstop between St. Louis and Oakland. It leaves St. Louis at 9:00pm, arriving Oakland at 1:25am so you’ll have to overnight at OAK and then catch the ferry across to San Francisco the next day. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

What about Transocean, with a Lockheed Constellation ?

Close, so close. It wasn't Transocean but you're definitely in the right neighborhood. The aircraft however was not a Connie...
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

American International (Kalitta), MCO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.