Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2020, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well I'm thinking the stop between BOS and CLE has gotta be in New York, and with three more cities to choose from, lets try Syracuse next...
nope, not SYR ... and the answer will likely be a bit of a surprise

btw, that’s a nice photoshop job; would have really been a pretty slick look on a 72S
Old May 28, 2020, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jrl767
nope, not SYR ... and the answer will likely be a bit of a surprise
With that hint, I'm going to go with something more circuitous and guess DTW since it was a big AA station back in the day. Anyone else remember that big AA-themed quilt that used to hang near the AA gates at DTW?
Old May 29, 2020, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Herb687
With that hint, I'm going to go with something more circuitous and guess DTW since it was a big AA station back in the day. Anyone else remember that big AA-themed quilt that used to hang near the AA gates at DTW?
although we’ve mentioned a few roundabout AA flights in the past year or so (I recall something like BTR-DFW-OKC-STL-ORD), the airline wasn’t generally known for routes that involved geographic backtracking

DTW is incorrect

Last edited by jrl767; May 29, 2020 at 12:18 am
Old May 29, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
2. As the Boston effort is wrapping up, you start looking into ways to get to your next project in Monterey TN, and are pleased to find a direct Saturday evening flight into the closest major airport. Please identify the airline, equipment, all three stops in order, and the destination airport.
AA into Nashville/BNA ~ Equipment is not a BAC 1-11 "400 Astrojet" ~ Stops are not LGA, PHL, DCA

Could the missing stop be Columbus in between Cleveland and Cincinnati?

btw, that’s a nice photoshop job; would have really been a pretty slick look on a 72S

I would think they would slide the paint on the Nacelles of the Engines as well
Old May 29, 2020, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
... Could the missing stop be Columbus in between Cleveland and Cincinnati?
close, but not close enough -- CMH is incorrect
Old May 29, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2- As the Boston effort is wrapping up, you start looking into ways to get to your next project in Monterey TN, and are pleased to find a direct Saturday evening flight into the closest major airport. Please identify the airline, equipment, all three stops in order, and the destination airport.
AA into Nashville/BNA ~ Equipment is 727 ~ Stops are CLE, CVG ~ Stops are not LGA, PHL, DCA, BUF, CMH or DTW

So the answer's a bit of a surprise and Columbus is close... Well Cleveland was a United hub back then and with the exception of New York state, just about all of the big east coast cities were United territory. I just don't see anything outside of New York state. Then again, maybe we're going at this the wrong way, i.e. the extra stop comes after Cleveland. As such, let's go with a routing of BOS-CLE-CVG-SDF-BNA
Old May 29, 2020, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2- As the Boston effort is wrapping up, you start looking into ways to get to your next project in Monterey TN, and are pleased to find a direct Saturday evening flight into the closest major airport. Please identify the airline, equipment, all three stops in order, and the destination airport.
AA into Nashville/BNA ~ Equipment is 727 ~ Stops are CLE, CVG ~ Stops are not LGA, PHL, DCA, BUF, CMH or DTW

So the answer's a bit of a surprise and Columbus is close... Well Cleveland was a United hub back then and with the exception of New York state, just about all of the big east coast cities were United territory. I just don't see anything outside of New York state. Then again, maybe we're going at this the wrong way, i.e. the extra stop comes after Cleveland. As such, let's go with a routing of BOS-CLE-CVG-SDF-BNA
the second stop indeed comes after CLE, but it's not SDF ... or CVG, for that matter, so it should be fairly evident now

and as for the 72S, I was on N864AA in Oct 1978 ... ORD-CVG, en route to a week of technical training on the GE CF6-50 engine as part of my introduction to work on 747 Propulsion Staff shortly after hiring in at Boeing

however, the photoshop isn't 100% accurate ... it's missing the two "eyebrow" windows for the flight deck
Old May 29, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
AA into Nashville/BNA ~ Equipment is 727 ~ Stops are CLE, CVG ~ Stops are not LGA, PHL, DCA, BUF, CMH, SDF or DTW

The second stop indeed comes after CLE, but it's not SDF ... or CVG, for that matter, so it should be fairly evident now

Well now, I don't see AA heading over to Indianapolis from Cleveland, so we're left with Dayton, Ohio - the Birthplace of Aviation (Although the first flight was in Kitty Hawk, NC, their Wright Flyer was built in and returned to Dayton for improvements.) The routing then would be BOS-CLE-DAY-CVG-BNA on a 727 of indeterminate variant, but definitely not N864AA as it wasn't delivered until 1977.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With regard to the photoshopped 727, there is an amazing amount of well done fantasy liveries out on the internet, be it photoshop or via simulator. Here are a couple more to consider, the first via photoshop, the second via simulator

Continental DC-8-62

Braniff International 737-627

And, for our pals across the pond...

British Airways 717-200
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 29, 2020 at 2:57 pm
Old May 29, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Let me have a run at this one. Columbus to Boston, 1969, the obvious carrier is TWA. But maybe that's too easy, there are probably too many stops as well. So who else ? I can't think of another main line carrier that would do. Mohawk never got to Columbus I believe, so what about Allegheny ? Both aircraft types ? I think that would mean a DC-9 and a Convair 580.

4 stops from Columbus, not a lot of DC-9s in the Allegheny fleet in 1969, I think that's the Convair. Which way ? Columbus-Pittsburgh-Harrisburg-Baltimore-Hartford-Boston. Something like that.

4 stops changing at No 2 ? Starts on a DC-9, Columbus-Pittsburgh-Philadelphia. Change there to a Convair. Philadelphia-Hartford-Providence-Boston.
apologies for missing this one ... didn’t go back far enough on the previous page of the thread

Allegheny is correct

direct flight:
  • Convair 580 is correct
  • Pittsburgh/PIT is correct
  • Harrisburg/MDT is correct
  • Baltimore/BAL is incorrect
  • Hartford/BDL is incorrect

connecting itinerary:
  • DC-9 is incorrect
  • PIT is again incorrect
  • Philadelphia is incorrect
  • BDL is again incorrect
  • Providence/PVD is partially correct
Old May 29, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well now, I don't see AA heading over to Indianapolis from Cleveland, so we're left with Dayton, Ohio - the Birthplace of Aviation (Although the first flight was in Kitty Hawk, NC, their Wright Flyer was built in and returned to Dayton for improvements.) The routing then would be BOS-CLE-DAY-CVG-BNA on a 727 of indeterminate variant, but definitely not N864AA as it wasn't delivered until 1977.
exactly correct on all counts
Old May 29, 2020, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
and as for the 72S, I was on N864AA in Oct 1978 ... ORD-CVG, en route to a week of technical training on the GE CF6-50 engine as part of my introduction to work on 747 Propulsion Staff shortly after hiring in at Boeing
I'm not sure where all my memorabilia and logs from that era are at the moment but that tail number sounds quite familiar. I think it was N864AA which operated AA's final 727 revenue flight (TPA-MIA on 30 Apr 2002).
Old May 29, 2020, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
I'm not sure where all my memorabilia and logs from that era are at the moment but that tail number sounds quite familiar. I think it was N864AA which operated AA's final 727 revenue flight (TPA-MIA on 30 Apr 2002).
Thought I'd have a look to see what became of N864AA. After leaving American, N864AA American Airlines 28.06.77 Left Fleet N864AA Express One International s11.03.03 Left Fleet N698SS Southwest Sports Aviation r22.04.03 Left Fleet N698SS Paradigm Air Carriers 30.06.10 Active

At various times it was the team plane for the Arizona Coyotes NHL hockey team, the Dallas Stars NHL hockey team and the Texas Rangers baseball team. I was unable to find any pictures of it wearing the livery of its current owner, but I thought it looked quite fetching wearing the livery of the Texas Rangers. Check it out -

Old May 30, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time to start taking a swing at the first part of question 3 in the 1969 quiz.
3- Friends have invited you to join them over Mother’s Day weekend in Long Beach before you return to Columbus. From your arrival airport, the earliest direct service to LAX the morning you need to depart is a two-stop flight that arrives at 7am (which translates to a 3am departure), and the next one (on the same airline, but a different type of jet) is a three-stop that doesn’t arrive until almost 1230pm. Surprisingly, the Eastern Airlines flight to Atlanta is sold out that morning, and more surprisingly Delta doesn’t serve the departure city at all.

Looking at the second closest airport to Monterey (less than 10 miles farther away), you find an early DL flight that connects to their 1030am ATL-LAX. It has an enroute stop, so you figure that it’ll be pretty much a wash to drive to ATL. A conversation with the rental car company reveals that the additional 130-some miles to ATL, along with a higher drop charge, will add over $100 to your total, so you book the two connecting Delta flights.

You call your friends back to advise them of your 1140am arrival time, and are stunned to learn that the rendezvous is actually in Long Beach, WA.

3A- Please identify the airline, equipment types, and all stops in sequence on the two direct flights.
Direct Flight 1: AA Convair 990 BNA-DAL-SAN-LAX
Direct Flight 2: AA 727 BNA-MEM-LIT-GSW-LAX

3B- Please identify the originating airport, the intermediate stop, and the two equipment types for the DL trip.
Flight 1: DL DC9 TYS-CHA-ATL
Flight 2: DL DC8 ATL-LAX
Old May 30, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

1- It’s mid January and you are about to embark on a ten-week project in the Boston area. From your home near Columbus OH, you can take a direct flight with four stops and arrive shortly before 10pm. The same airline also offers a four-stop option that departs CMH an hour earlier; you’ll begin on a one-stop flight aboard a different aircraft type to a connecting city, where you’ll catch a two-stop flight (on the first type) to BOS and arrive a few minutes before 9pm.

1A- Please identify the airline, all four stops in sequence, and the equipment for the direct flight.

1B- Please identify both aircraft types, the connecting city, and all stops in order.

Allegheny is correct

Direct flight:
  • Convair 580 is correct
  • Pittsburgh/PIT is correct
  • Harrisburg/MDT is correct
  • Based upon my experience via two Unlimited Mileage Liberty Fares, let's try Newark/EWR
  • Outside of Hartford, the only stop that seems feasible is Providence/PVD and since you mentioned it was partially correct, let's try it here

Connecting itinerary: We'll have a go at this later. I'm too busy right now on a railroad site...

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 30, 2020 at 5:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.