Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA
DC-6B comes to Europe

Onetime Buffalo Airways DC-6B flew today from Yellowknife to Stavanger, Norway, restored to the old Braathens SAFE livery it wore from 1962 to 1971. It's coming to a museum there

https://www.tv2.no/nyheter/11476888/

Now 1971 I was at university in Edinburgh. For various historical reasons there were traditionally a good number of Norwegian students there, and as there was no meaningful direct air service in those days, every start and end of term they chartered a flight from Oslo to Edinburgh. I recall going out to see friends off just before Christmas that year, and it was a Braathens DC-6B. There were about 150 Norwegian students, so the same aircraft did a double lift, one in the morning and again in the afternoon. I wonder if it's the same one.

Bonus Question : Why did Braathens write SAFE after their name ?

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 2, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
The DC-4 was the first actual Japan Air Lines aircraft, secondhand from USAF. However, before this they had leased several Martin 2-0-2 run for them by US carrier Transocean, who in turn had leased them from Northwest, to operate their first services. So really, either answer is correct depending on the detail of the question.

For further example, the "last BEA Comet service" was 31 October 1971, G-APMA Malaga to London, and appropriately celebrated on arrival. But the BEA Comet fleet was then mostly transferred on to holiday flight subsidiary BEA Airtours at Gatwick, and in the winter they quite often came back to Heathrow and stood in on BEA schedules when there was an aircraft shortage. Same livery, just with the word "Airtours" placed after the BEA logo. They turned up in 1972 and into 1973 doing this.
So which date does one give for a "last service" ?

Hopefully that's where you come in, Mr. M

Really though, another side of the OTAQ&D is the D - as in Discussion. Be it erudite commentary from WHBM or any of the rest of you for that matter, we should be able to come to some kind of a consensus on the truth of the matter. It's certainly one of the most entertaining aspects of this thread.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DC-6B comes to Europe

Onetime Buffalo Airways DC-6B flew today from Yellowknife to Stavanger, Norway, restored to the old Braathens SAFE livery it wore from 1962 to 1971. It's coming to a museum there

https://www.tv2.no/nyheter/11476888/ ...
very cool indeed!

FlightAware info -- 15+44, mostly at 9000 ft; covering over 3900 miles

Bonus Question : Why did Braathens write SAFE after their name ?
isn't it actually "S.A.F.E."?

I believe the airline's founder (Ludwig Braathen) owned a shipping company; he started up the airline shortly after World War II to transport crewmembers to his ships in places like South America (S.A.) and the Far East (F.E.)

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 2, 2020 at 1:06 pm
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
12. (1989) Amazingly, five different airlines offer daily direct flights between Detroit Metro and Ontario International Airport in California. Ontario! What’s up with that? Anyway, only one of these airlines operates its flight with a foreign built aircraft. Identify that airline and the aircraft it flies on this route. Brownie points if you can name the single enroute stopover city.

I have to presume that the A320 is the correct aircraft since you didn't state otherwise ... not too many other Airbus operators in the US at that time, so how's this ... United, in competition with NW out of DTW on the long haul, operating a tag from SFO to ONT

Sorry about that J - I should have acknowledged the A320 as being the aircraft of record. That said, United makes a logical next choice but alas, the airline we're looking for - not to mention the enroute stop - remain shrouded in mystery... Life goes on however, so take heart in the battle cry of the OTAQ&D quiz-meisters:

"Please, guess again!
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
23. (1995) One of the benefits or working the late night shift at Anchorage International is a chance to see some of the 747s that still stop at ANC for refueling. Gone are those halcyon days when all of the European airlines stopped in ANC to refuel on their flights to the Orient. That all disappeared with the advent of longer range 747-400s combined with Russia opening its skies to flyover traffic. European passenger airliners no longer stopover in Anchorage, but three Asian airlines – each of which still utilize the older 747-200 model – come calling in the early morning hours. Each of these flights originate in New York. Identify the three airlines we’re looking for. By the way, you guys are all so good that I’m going to make this one a little more difficult. If one of the airlines you’ve submitted is incorrect, I won’t say which ones are right or wrong – just that one or more are incorrect. Good Luck!

Korean Airlines Correct!
Japan Airlines Incorrect
China Airlines Correct!

I thought no clues as to which one(s) are wrong. Anyway if it wasn't JAL it must have been All Nippon.

Nope - it wasn't ANA, much less any other Japanese airline.もう一度考えてください!Mōichido kangaete kudasai!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 2, 2020 at 6:05 pm
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
12- America West via Phoenix would therefore seem to be the only remaining candidate for a 320 between DTW and ONT
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

12- America West via Phoenix would therefore seem to be the only remaining candidate for a 320 between DTW and ONT
You'd think, but NO!

Please, guess again!
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
29. (1989) 747s are a common sight at Honolulu in 1989. Many flights originate from the west coast. For this question however, we’re looking for the three non-coastal airports on the U.S. mainland with nonstop 747 service to Hawaii. Please provide the airport as well as the airline that serves it. I'm going to go with a very off the wall guess here and say TW with an MD-83 via STL. As for the 747s from the non-coastal cities, I was surprised that longtime flight number UA1 ORD-HNL was not a 747 in 1989. To the correct guess of HP out of PHX, let me add: LAS, also on HP and DEN on CO (if I guess IAH does Houston count as a "coastal" city? )

Herb, I'm not sure what to make of the TWA MD80 guess, so I'll leave that one alone. As for HP out of LAS - you are correct! So far as I know, the only aircraft CO ever operated on the DEN-HNL route was an extension of its service into Denver from London with a DC-10-30. CO did operate a 747 on the IAH-HNL route, but not per the OAG I used to reference this question. So, we're looking for just one more... You are ever so close,,,
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12- once again, I have forgotten about the reincarnated Braniff II, which ran a handful of A320s before declaring bankruptcy in late 1989 ... there were a handful of flights through Dallas (DFW), but most of their operation (I believe we have recently discussed PIT-SEA) ran thru the Kansas City (MCI) hub
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

4. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, there were four transcontinental routes flown with 747s. Identify those four routes and the airlines that flew them.

I think we may have had a similar question a few years back, but I'm going to skip using the "Search This Thread" function
IAD-LAX -- TWA and American Partially Correct. Only one 747 service on this route.
IAD-SFO -- United Incorrect
JFK-LAX -- American, TWA, and United Correct!
BOS-LAX -- TWA Incorrect
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:05 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador

BW - BWIA (almost sure)
DL- Delta (fairly sure)
TW - TWA (plausible)
TS - Air Transat (more like a wild guess, but I recall they kept L10's in fleet for a long period of time)
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

well, you got me on that technicality! *totally* forgot about the co-production birds

that said, was it their entire fleet of MadDogs?
WHBM will know for sure, but I believe there were 4 for sure and possibly 5 Chinese manufactured MD-82s that showed up here in the U.S. They were originally ordered by and delivered to Ozark, then on to TWA and American
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Annoying dupe post due to sub-North Korean quality internet connection

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 2, 2020 at 7:38 pm
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA
With you tomorrow chaps, like S2A wrote about other things go on with life - bit of a rush with the office sales team here. Well it is their laptop
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4. (TCON 747s, 1970)
IAD-LAX -- TWA and American
Partially Correct. Only one 747 service on this route.
IAD-SFO -- United Incorrect
JFK-LAX -- American, TWA, and United Correct!
BOS-LAX -- TWA Incorrect
4- second try (presuming that "incorrect" refers to the airline, but that the routes are correct):
IAD-LAX AA
IAD-SFO TW
BOS-LAX AA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.