Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
18. (1989) There’ve long been direct or even nonstop flights from Edmonton to Minneapolis. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Calgary. Until now that is. Okay, okay, so it makes a couple of stops along the way but what the heck – it beats having to drive up to Edmonton or make a connection in Winnipeg. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

Other than Delta, I can’t think of a US carrier that would have had a two-stop routing between YYC and MSP, and as I’ve mentioned a few times recently DL wasn’t known for flights that had a significant change of direction (YYC-SLC-DEN-MSP). I’m reasonably sure that Air Canada didn’t serve MSP, so that leaves Canadian and their regional affiliate (Time Air?) ... they probably didn’t stop at YWG, but I’ll have a guess at a pair of Saskatchewan stops — Saskatoon (YXE) and Regina (YQR)

Way to work it out, J! Everything is spot on and yet, something's missing...
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here are a few more schedule based questions for your consideration. All schedules are from North American OAGs. As always, please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Thanks!

1. (1990) It’s been a great week of sun and fun in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina but now it’s time to return home to Rhode Island. You drove your sister’s car down from Providence but will be flying back home. Surely this will involve a connection somewhere. Imagine then your surprise and delight to learn that one airline offers a direct one stop flight from MYR back to Providence. Right on! Airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.

2. (1985) Imagine yourself comfortably ensconced in a window seat and enjoying a delicious hot dinner while flying high above Vermont’s Green Mountains aboard a Hawker Siddeley HS748. What airline and route are you flying? (Direction does not matter as dinner is also served on the 748 flight operating in the opposite direction as well)

3. (1995) Per schedules reflected in the OAG I’ve employed to reference this question, I’ve found four airlines that operate Lockheed L-1011s in the Caribbean. Can you identify each of these four airlines? By the way, you guys are all so knowledgeable about this stuff that I’m going to make this one a little more difficult. If one of the airlines you’ve submitted is incorrect, I won’t say which one(s) are right or wrong – just that one or more are incorrect. You have to determine which one. Good Luck! BTW, Eastern was no more per these schedules.
BW, DL & TW identified so far... The other airline is not from the U.S.

5. (1990) Canada is becoming a very attractive place to make movies. As president of the BC Film Commission, you’re flying down to California to meet with the head of Warner Brothers regarding an upcoming movie starring Harrison Ford and Annette Bening. Two airlines offer direct flights between Vancouver and Burbank – one making two stops and the other with just a single stop. You book a First Class seat aboard the one stopper. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stop.

8. (1988) You live in Buffalo, NY and need to arrange a flight for your elderly parents to come up and visit from their home in St. Petersburg, Florida. Your travel agent calls back with good news that there’s a direct one-stop flight to Buffalo from St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport. Really! That’s only a mile from their home. Not having to head across the bay to Tampa International will be a big plus. Book it, please! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.

9. (1990) By 1990 good milkruns are pretty much a thing of the past. Rather amazingly however, you’ve stumbled across a four stop doozie between Wilmington, NC and Boston, MA. So, after alighting from Amtrak’s Palmetto in nearby Fayetteville, NC, you catch a bus over to Wilmington and enjoy a couple of days fishing on the Carolina coast before catching your flight back up to Boston. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the four enroute stops.

10. (1985) You were going to make a road trip of it and drive from your home in Sparks, NV to Albuquerque NM but alas, a late spring blizzard has made getting out of the Reno area an unsafe proposition. A quick check of the schedules shows a single daily direct flight from Reno to Albuquerque that makes two stops but will get you into ABQ in perfect time to have lunch with your beloved Abuela at the El Pinto Restaurant and Cantina, home to the best New Mexican cuisine in the Rio Grande Valley. When your mouth stops watering, go ahead and identify the airline, aircraft and the two stops in order.
It's not PSA. The flight routes through LAX

11. (1970) If ever there were a state made for intra-state milk-runs, Florida is it! To wit, you’ve booked a three stopper between Jacksonville and Miami. Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

13. (1990) As chair of the Paleontology Department at the University of Montana, you’ve been chosen to be the keynote speaker at the American Fossil Society’s convention in Portland, Oregon next month. Three airlines offer direct flights out of Missoula to Portland, but only one of those flights offers First Class, albeit with two intermediate stops. Being as you stand 6’5” in your stocking feet, that’s the flight you want. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

14. (1979) You’re in Miami having breakfast at the “Top of the Port” restaurant located on the top floor of the Miami International Airport Hotel. From your table by the restaurant’s large picture windows you have a spectacular view of the airport concourses and the distant runway. As you savor your buttery croissant, you are shocked to see a Boeing 720 taxiing out to the runway for takeoff. A couple of South American airlines still operate 720s into Miami but this is a US airline! Identify the airline and the destination of this flight.
A N S W E R E D

15. (1990) When business calls for a visit to your Vancouver, BC affiliate from your home office in Milwaukee, you usually expect to have a connection or two to deal with. Not any more, apparently. The company travel office has advised you that there’s now a direct two-stop flight departing Milwaukee each afternoon at 4:25pm. Right on! Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

17. (1990) The last time you had to fly between New Orleans and Miami was twenty years ago. Back then, National Airlines was the only way to go. Now, you’ve got a choice of four airlines. Identify each of those four airlines.
AA, CO & PA identified. Need one more

18. (1989) There’ve long been direct or even nonstop flights from Edmonton to Minneapolis. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Calgary. Until now that is. Okay, okay, so it makes a couple of stops along the way but what the heck – it beats having to drive up to Edmonton or make a connection in Winnipeg. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

19. (1988) You’ve had a great week of sailboarding around the Bahamas and now it’s time to return home to Nashville. Your trip out to Nassau involved a couple of connections, but on the way home you’ll be on a direct flight – albeit one that makes two enroute stops. That’s fine by you – there’ll be less chances to damage or lose your rad sailboard. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order please.

21. (1985) As an avid Green Bay Packers fan, the thought of going to your obnoxious cousin’s wedding in Pittsburgh is not a pleasant one. Still, he is family even if he is an insufferable Steelers fan made worse by the fact that the Steelers have eaten the Packer’s lunch over the past 15 years. Sigh… You dutifully call the travel agency and take some solace in the fact that a one stop direct flight between Green Bay and Pittsburgh is available. Name the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

22. (1990) What’s got two jet engines and represents the only type of air transport available between Midland/Odessa and Lubbock – albeit twice each day? Identify the airline and aircraft please.

23. (1995) One of the benefits or working the late night shift at Anchorage International is a chance to see some of the 747s that still stop at ANC for refueling. Gone are those halcyon days when all of the European airlines stopped in ANC to refuel on their flights to the Orient. That all disappeared with the advent of longer range 747-400s combined with Russia opening its skies to flyover traffic. European passenger airliners no longer stopover in Anchorage, but three Asian airlines – each of which still utilize the older 747-200 model – come calling in the early morning hours. Each of these flights originate in New York. Identify the three airlines we’re looking for. By the way, you guys are all so good that I’m going to make this one a little more difficult. If one of the airlines you’ve submitted is incorrect, I won’t say which ones are right or wrong – just that one or more are incorrect. Good Luck!
A N S W E R E D (Asiana operated a 747-400)

25. (1979) You need to fly from Fairbanks, Alaska out to St. Paul Island, but were hoping to spend the night with old friends down in Anchorage before continuing on to St. Paul the next morning. As fate would have it, you’ve found the perfect schedule involving two airlines, both of which operate the same equipment. Identify the airlines and the equipment in question.

26. (2003) By 2003, the once ubiquitous 727 has become a rare bird over North American skies. Even so, you’ve managed to find a seat aboard one for next week’s trip from Detroit out to Las Vegas. Identify the airline and 727 variant you’ll be flying upon.
It's not Sun Country

27. (1990) It’s been said that you have to be from Bismarck, North Dakotato enjoy living there. You’re not from Bismarck, so when an opportunity comes up fly to Seattle to attend next weekend’s Pacific Northwest Dry Cleaner’s Symposeum, you break out in your Happy Dance. Now it used to be that if you wanted to fly from Bismarck to Seattle you were looking at four or five stops along the way. Not anymore. Now the only service to Seattle is via a single almost daily one-stop flight. Identify the airline, the single stop and the aircraft.

28. (1970) You’ve just completed the fall semester at Notre Dame University. Now you’re flying home to Chicago for Thanksgiving. Normally you fly on United but this time you’ll be flying home on a different airline. Identify the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

30. (1990) “Whaaaat?! You’re tellin’ me that all of Northwest’s flights between Kansas City and Minneapolis are sold out today? Even in First Class?!”

“I’m sorry, Sir” replied the agent with a half-hearted shrug. “There’s nothing until tomorrow afternoon”

Sigh… You should’ve known this might be the case when you decided to make a last minute trip to the Twin Cities to watch your Kansas City Chiefs take on the Minnesota Vikings in a rematch of Superbowl IV. Despite being in different conferences, quite a regional rivalry has built up between the two teams and this year your Chiefs were looking to even the series. As you sat in the airport bar pondering your options over an ice cold Boulevard Ale, you heard you name being paged over the airport PA system. It was the Northwest agent. After you’d left, he’d taken a moment between customers to check further and found that one other airline operated a single daily flight departing in an hour and twenty minutes. Who knew? Especially since Northwest had operated exclusively on the MCI-MSP market for some time now. The other airline had space in Coach though and operated out of Terminal A next door. You thanked the NW agent profusely and asked if he was a Vikings fan.

“Nah. Gophers, ya know”

“Gophers! Yaaah… oh sure, you betcha! Go Gophers!”

Identify the mystery airline and the aircraft type it operated up to MSP.
It's not Midwest Express or Braniff. It is a 727-200

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 5, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
doink! I was in the process of editing the last bit of the answer from "they" to "their Fokker F.28" and must have tapped "Cancel" instead of "Save"
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
23. (1995) One of the benefits or working the late night shift at Anchorage International is a chance to see some of the 747s that still stop at ANC for refueling. Gone are those halcyon days when all of the European airlines stopped in ANC to refuel on their flights to the Orient. That all disappeared with the advent of longer range 747-400s combined with Russia opening its skies to flyover traffic. European passenger airliners no longer stopover in Anchorage, but three Asian airlines – each of which still utilize the older 747-200 model – come calling in the early morning hours. Each of these flights originate in New York. Identify the three airlines we’re looking for. By the way, you guys are all so good that I’m going to make this one a little more difficult. If one of the airlines you’ve submitted is incorrect, I won’t say which ones are right or wrong – just that one or more are incorrect. Good Luck!
China Airlines and Korean Air Lines identified. We need just one more... We're talking an Asian passenger airline not from Japan. This should be glaringly easy!
Cathay Pacific?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
26. (2003) By 2003, the once ubiquitous 727 has become a rare bird over North American skies. Even so, you’ve managed to find a seat aboard one for next week’s trip from Detroit out to Las Vegas. Identify the airline and 727 variant you’ll be flying upon.
This feels like Sun Country. The SY 727s I remember seeing in the late '90s/early 2000s were all -200s so I will guess a 72S.
30. (1990) “Whaaaat?! You’re tellin’ me that all of Northwest’s flights between Kansas City and Minneapolis are sold out today? Even in First Class?!”

Identify the mystery airline and the aircraft type it operated up to MSP.
After leaving a meeting in KC and making the drive to MCI I already feel like I'm in the southern suburbs of Minneapolis.

Can't remember if Midwest Express ever served MSP, let alone from its secondary hub at MCI, but I will guess YX with a DC-9.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

That missing airline is a bit more obscure than supposed. A lot that it cannot be (not OZ, CX, or BR. PR was flying to the NYC area to/from and via other airports around that time and with other a/c, not SQ or other SE Asia airlines). I imagine CA (Air China).
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

doink! I was in the process of editing the last bit of the answer from "they" to "their Fokker F.28" and must have tapped "Cancel" instead of "Save"

If I had a nickle for every time I've heard that one...

Canadian Airlines (Time Air) CP 344 Calgary (YYC) 700a-800a S Saskatoon (YXE) 820a-855a Regina (YQR) 915a-1200n Minneapolis (MSP) F.28 X67

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 4, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

China Airlines and Korean Air Lines identified. We need just one more... We're talking an Asian passenger airline not from Japan. This should be glaringly easy!

Per dfw88: Cathay Pacific?

Per YVR: That missing airline is a bit more obscure than supposed. A lot that it cannot be (not OZ, CX, or BR. PR was flying to the NYC area to/from and via other airports around that time and with other a/c, not SQ or other SE Asia airlines). I imagine CA (Air China).

Who sez it can't be one of the above mentioned disqualifications? (It is)
It is not either Cathay Pacific or Air China

Please - guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 4, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687

This feels like Sun Country. The SY 727s I remember seeing in the late '90s/early 2000s were all -200s so I will guess a 72S.

Sun Country is an excellent guess - especially given the DTW or MSP departure point. But NO! We're looking for a different 727 operator...

Please, guess again!

30. (1990) “Whaaaat?! You’re tellin’ me that all of Northwest’s flights between Kansas City and Minneapolis are sold out today? Even in First Class?!” Identify the mystery airline and the aircraft type it operated from MCI up to MSP.

Can't remember if Midwest Express ever served MSP, let alone from its secondary hub at MCI, but I will guess YX with a DC-9.

You're right - Midwest Express never served MSP. BTW, the aircraft involved was not a DC-9 variant. As such, the search continues...
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist

With only one left, can I still make a guess with two possibilities? I'm going to submit either Air China or Philippine Airlines.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA
Right on! I can't imagine what took ya so long! I always wanted to fly aboard National's 747 but back in the early 70s none of my travels involved NA's route system except for the DC-10 "Phyllis" flying LAX-SAN in 1973. And of course Continental, Northwest and Pan Am were also flying the 747 with Braniff and Eastern joining the ranks the next year.
Eastern's didn't last for long. They were one of the pioneers to order four early aircraft, but never took delivery of them, and they went at delivery to TWA instead. Meanwhile they changed their mind, and leased three aircraft from Pan Am just for 1971. Some got just a partial application of decals, and others a full repaint in the Hockey Stick livery, which somehow doesn't seem to sit easily on a 747. They seem to have gone back just before the first (delayed) Tristars came along. Then 10 years later Eastern thought they were going to be awarded the Miami-London route when National merged into Pan Am. They leased two 747s from Qantas, and they were fully painted up as well in the same Eastern colours in Sydney, but I believe never made it to the USA as such, and Qantas took them back.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA
14. (1979)
You’re in Miami having breakfast at the “Top of the Port” restaurant located on the top floor of the Miami International Airport Hotel. From your table by the restaurant’s large picture windows you have a spectacular view of the airport concourses and the distant runway. As you savour your buttery croissant, you are shocked to see a Boeing 720 taxiing out to the runway for takeoff. A couple of South American airlines still operate 720s into Miami but this is a US airline! Identify the airline and the destination of this flight
Didn't a carrier called Southeast based in Miami run 720s (and 707s), all leased on the grey market, from Miami to San Juan around this time. I think I've found a picture https://www.airhistory.net/photo/10248/N421MA . Looks like a 707-320 with bigger engines behind.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
30- MCI-MSP, 1990: do we have yet another instance of a reincarnation of Braniff ... perhaps operating a 727-200 ?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear

With only one left, can I still make a guess with two possibilities? I'm going to submit either Air China or Philippine Airlines.

Air China's already been guessed and it's not PAL which I believe (perhaps in error) only recently commenced its first service to New York with its A350 aircraft. The airline we're looking for is not from China, Taiwan or HK.

Please, guess again!
Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
14. (1979) You’re in Miami having breakfast at the “Top of the Port” restaurant located on the top floor of the Miami International Airport Hotel. From your table by the restaurant’s large picture windows you have a spectacular view of the airport concourses and the distant runway. As you savour your buttery croissant, you are shocked to see a Boeing 720 taxiing out to the runway for takeoff. A couple of South American airlines still operate 720s into Miami but this is a US airline! Identify the airline and the destination of this flight

Didn't a carrier called Southeast based in Miami run 720s (and 707s), all leased on the grey market, from Miami to San Juan around this time. I think I've found a picture https://www.airhistory.net/photo/10248/N421MA . Looks like a 707-320 with bigger engines behind.

Only you, WHBM... Only you would know this one right off the bat. Great call, Sir! Southeast it was with a thrice weekly run to Aguadilla, Puerto Rico. Here's the schedule:

Southeast Airlines NS 001 Miami (MIA) 800a-1010a B Aguadilla, PR (BQN) 720 Mo We Fr
P.S. My last flight aboard a 720 came in April 1983 aboard a colorful Ecuatoriana bird down to Quito.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.