Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
5. (1990) Canada is becoming a very attractive place to make movies. As president of the BC Film Commission, you’re flying down to California to meet with the head of Warner Brothers regarding an upcoming movie starring Harrison Ford and Annette Bening. Two airlines offer direct flights between Vancouver and Burbank – one making two stops and the other with just a single stop. You book a First Class seat aboard the one stopper. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stop.

American operating an MD-80 via their San Jose (SJC) hub.

Correct! Stand by for the schedule:

American AA 691 Vancouver (YVR) 500p-715p D San Jose (SJC) 755p-903p Burbank (BUR) 737-200 Daily

8. (1988) You live in Buffalo, NY and need to arrange a flight for your elderly parents to come up and visit from their home in St. Petersburg, Florida. Your travel agent calls back with good news that there’s a direct one-stop flight to Buffalo from St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport. Really! That’s only a mile from their home. Not having to head across the bay to Tampa International will be a big plus. Book it, please! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.

8. American operating a B727-200 via their Raleigh/Durham (RDU) hub.

Correct again - except for the 727, which we all know that if it weren't that in 1988, it'd be an MD-80

American AA 814 St. Petersburg (PIE) 1155a-131p L Raleigh/Durham (RDU) 210p-333p Buffalo (BUF) MD80 Daily
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
5. (1990) Canada is becoming a very attractive place to make movies. As president of the BC Film Commission, you’re flying down to California to meet with the head of Warner Brothers regarding an upcoming movie starring Harrison Ford and Annette Bening. Two airlines offer direct flights between Vancouver and Burbank – one making two stops and the other with just a single stop. You book a First Class seat aboard the one stopper. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stop.

American operating an MD-80 via their San Jose (SJC) hub.

Correct! Stand by for the schedule:

American AA 691 Vancouver (YVR) 500p-715p D San Jose (SJC) 755p-903p Burbank (BUR) 737-200 Daily
So this would have been an old AirCal route with (obviously) old AirCal equipment as I don't recall AA operating 732s (AirCal had long been dismantled by the time I got to RNO in the early 1990s, allowing for RenoAir to fill its spot at SJC)?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
13. (1990) As chair of the Paleontology Department at the University of Montana, you’ve been chosen to be the keynote speaker at the American Fossil Society’s convention in Portland, Oregon next month. Three airlines offer direct flights out of Missoula to Portland, but only one of those flights offers First Class, albeit with two intermediate stops. Being as you stand 6’5” in your stocking feet, that’s the flight you want. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

Why not roll the dice with a Continental 737-324 again ... the second stop would have of course been Denver/DEN, with the first being the quick hop from MSO over to Bozeman/BZN

Everything is correct except the aircraft. Given CO's fleet at the time, I'll leave this one out there for you. Obviously, the aircraft was not a 737-300...
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
So this would have been an old AirCal route with (obviously) old AirCal equipment as I don't recall AA operating 732s (AirCal had long been dismantled by the time I got to RNO in the early 1990s, allowing for RenoAir to fill its spot at SJC)?
Indeed, AA did operate the old Air Cal fleet including the 737-200 (American 737-200), the 737-300 (American 737-300) and the BAe-146 (American BAe-146)
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Now all you've got left is to arrange these three stops in the correct order.
c'mon, all the pieces are there, it just takes a little bit of pulling a logic thread through the relevant conversation
11- geography doesn’t really support VRB as the second stop, given that both PBI and FLL aren’t on the routing ... I’ll offer Gainesville/GNV and Tampa/TPA as the first two
GNV proposed as # 1, and TPA as # 2; therefore VRB = # 3
I'll take Gainesville. You can keep Tampa. One more...
GNV confirmed as # 1; TPA off the list
11- I vaguely remember perusing EA timetables in the late 60s and seeing Convair (440?) service at Ocala/Silver Springs (OCF) ... it’s anybody’s guess as to whether they ever upgauged to the Electra, but it’s as good a supposition as any
Ocala is correct!
therefore OCF has gotta be # 2

JAX-GNV-OCF-VRB-MIA

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 11, 2020 at 9:51 am
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
13- CO, MSO-BZN-DEN-PDX, 1990 ... if not a 733, most likely a MadDog (MD-80)

my Air California/AirCal experience was limited to one flight each on the Electra (TVL-SNA, Mar 1978) and the 737 (SEA-SJC-ONT, Jul 1984); I also managed to score an AA 146 (SFO-LAX, Oct 1989)
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Indeed, AA did operate the old Air Cal fleet including the 737-200 (American 737-200), the 737-300 (American 737-300) and the BAe-146 (American BAe-146)
Shortly after American acquired AirCal in 1987, I flew with AA into Lake Tahoe from SFO on board a former AirCal B737-300 which featured the AirCal livery but with American titles:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Amer...9oYOCgh%2BFcQN

And by the end of 1989, the OAG indicates that American was operating B737-200 service into Lake Tahoe nonstop from SJC (and direct from both LAX and SAN via a stop at SJC). BTW, as you can see, American and American Eagle affiliate Wings West were the only air carriers serving TVL at this time:

TVL89p1

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 11, 2020 at 9:33 am Reason: additional info
Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a college friend said he flew on AA's legacy AirCal 738 a few years ago

source

I've seen the TWA one a couple times

source
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
a college friend said he flew on AA's legacy AirCal 738 a few years ago
I've seen the TWA one a couple times
I've flown on the Reno Air one.

I was flamed on the AA board by suggesting that AA's execution of the retrojets is greatly cheapened and degraded by the fact that they have the current American name and logo on the side of the fuselage. They should keep the livery exactly as it was with those former airlines' aircraft.

For a contrast, note how UA's Continental retrojet N75436 does NOT have a ridiculous large "United" on the airplane that totally ruins the heritage livery.

Just more typical AA half-assery. They can't even get a retro livery right.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

:/
similar to US, who plastered their name above the windows on the Piedmont and PSA retro livery A319s (I think AA has kept these, but with "American" in the usual place)

unfortunately Alaska's "Starliner 75" N569AS has been returned to the standard paint scheme
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

11. (1970) If ever there were a state made for intra-state milk-runs, Florida is it! To wit, you’ve booked a three stopper between Jacksonville and Miami. Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

C'mon, all the pieces are there, it just takes a little bit of pulling a logic thread through the relevant conversation
GNV proposed as # 1, and TPA as # 2; therefore VRB = # 3
GNV confirmed as # 1; TPA off the list
therefore OCF has gotta be # 2

JAX-GNV-OCF-VRB-MIA

Way to break it down, Professor 767! Here's the schedule:

Eastern EA 643 Jacksonville (JAX) 225p-253p Gainesville (GNV) 315p-334p Ocala (OCF) 350p-428p Vero Beach (VRB) 445p-525p Miami (MIA) LEC Daily

13. (1990) As chair of the Paleontology Department at the University of Montana, you’ve been chosen to be the keynote speaker at the American Fossil Society’s convention in Portland, Oregon next month. Three airlines offer direct flights out of Missoula to Portland, but only one of those flights offers First Class, albeit with two intermediate stops. Being as you stand 6’5” in your stocking feet, that’s the still the flight you want. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

If not a 733, most likely a MadDog (MD-80)

Nope, not a MadDog either. (How did MD ever gain such widespread acceptance as "MadDog"? When I think MD, I think Mogen David MD 20/20 ) So if, in 1990, it's not a 737 or an MD-80, it must be a ______________.

My Air California/AirCal experience was limited to one flight each on the Electra (TVL-SNA, Mar 1978) and the 737 (SEA-SJC-ONT, Jul 1984); I also managed to score an AA 146 (SFO-LAX, Oct 1989)

Color me envious! My lone Air Cal flight was aboard a 733 SJC-OAK in 1985. Between Air Cal, PSA and Holiday Airlines, I missed out on some great opportunities to log a few inexpensive Electra flights in the late seventies.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 11, 2020 at 4:20 pm
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I always thought Alaska's early 1970s era livery would've looked good on a retro-jet. Here are a couple examples as seen on a 737-700 and a -400

strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just three to go!

13. (1990) As chair of the Paleontology Department at the University of Montana, you’ve been chosen to be the keynote speaker at the American Fossil Society’s convention in Portland, Oregon next month. Three airlines offer direct flights out of Missoula to Portland, but only one of those flights offers First Class, albeit with two intermediate stops. Being as you stand 6’5” in your stocking feet, that’s the flight you want. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

15. (1990) When business calls for a visit to your Vancouver, BC affiliate from your home office in Milwaukee, you usually expect to have a connection or two to deal with. Not any more, apparently. The company travel office has advised you that there’s now a direct two-stop flight departing Milwaukee each afternoon at 4:25pm. Right on! Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

19. (1988) You’ve had a great week of sailboarding around the Bahamas and now it’s time to return home to Nashville. Your trip out to Nassau involved a couple of connections, but on the way home you’ll be on a direct flight – albeit one that makes two enroute stops. That’s fine by you – there’ll be less chances to damage or lose your rad sailboard. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order please.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 13, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
15. (1990) When business calls for a visit to your Vancouver, BC affiliate from your home office in Milwaukee, you usually expect to have a connection or two to deal with. Not any more, apparently. The company travel office has advised you that there’s now a direct two-stop flight departing Milwaukee each afternoon at 4:25pm. Right on! Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
UA 72S MKE-DEN-SEA-YVR

Edited to reverse direction. I see this is westbound.

Last edited by Herb687; Jun 11, 2020 at 5:31 pm Reason: direction
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13- tap-in; CO 72S

9. (1988) You’ve had a great week of sailboarding around the Bahamas and now it’s time to return home to Nashville. Your trip out to Nassau involved a couple of connections, but on the way home you’ll be on a direct flight – albeit one that makes two enroute stops. That’s fine by you – there’ll be less chances to damage or lose your rad sailboard. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order please.
19- this is a carryover from the last Quiz installment

American had a small hub at BNA in the late 80s in addition to Raleigh-Durham (RDU) ... this might have been a 72S operating NAS-RDU-Charlotte/CLT-BNA

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 11, 2020 at 7:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.