Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
2- I'm willing to wager that the PA 707 out of DTW stopped in Boston (BOS) en route to LHR

BOS is correct. PA flew 747s 4x week DTW-BOS-LHR.

On Jan 6, 1977, PA began carrying local DTW-BOS passengers; this was the first route where they were able to carry passengers within the 48 United States. However, later that year PA lost the BOS-LHR route as part of Bermuda II, and began routing DTW-LHR flights via IAD.

6- given the Caribbean pullback, I'm thinking that the two missing no-local-traffic destinations from JFK were medium-sized cities where PA could offer single-plane 707 service to Europe -- let's say Cleveland (CLE) and Minneapolis (MSP)
Neither CLE nor MSP is correct.

As far as I know, PA did not serve CLE before deregulation.

PA did not have authority to serve MSP before deregulation, but PA's aircraft were seen in MSP in the late 1960s and early 1970s, as part of an interchange with NW, with NW flying MSP-DTW and PA flying DTW-BOS-LHR. The interchange ended at the time of the 1973/74 energy crisis. There are a few pictures of NW 707s at LHR, on days when NW aircraft were used on the interchange.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:12 am

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;29035856]7. Pan Am has a 1 stop on Thursday night from JFK to JNB, with a 747 to the first stop and a 707 the rest of the way. Where is the stop?

There weren't many nonstops to central Africa in general back then - Air Afrique to Dakar and maybe Ghana Airways to Accra though I don't know if they'd yet commenced service to New York with their colorful DC-10. I'm thinking it was Lagos, Nigeria. Pan Am competed with Nigerian Airways on that route. Regardless of wherever the stop was, I'm surprised at the change of gauge enroute.

Lagos is incorrect.

The change of gauge will make sense once you realize where the stop is - think hard about this one.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
7. Pan Am has a 1 stop on Thursday night from JFK to JNB, with a 747 to the first stop and a 707 the rest of the way. Where is the stop?

Lagos is incorrect. The change of gauge will make sense once you realize where the stop is - think hard about this one.

SAA used to route through Ilho do Sal (sic ?) and before that Rio but I don't recall PA ever following those routings. Honestly, I can't think of any other viable African stops other than Dakar. So - let's go with that even though I don't quite get the relevance with regard to the 707. Unless the stop was in, like, Monrovia! (Best flown to via a B-Cal VC10 out of LGW in my humble opinion)
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
7. Pan Am has a 1 stop on Thursday night from JFK to JNB, with a 747 to the first stop and a 707 the rest of the way. Where is the stop?

Lagos is incorrect. The change of gauge will make sense once you realize where the stop is - think hard about this one.
I am going to go with LPA - Las Palmas, Gran Canaria. Not remembering anything about PA other than fleetingly with its '70s and '80s Pacific operations (never knew PA flew to Afric south of the Sahara!), I never could figure out why the PA 747 that was involved in the Tenerife collision was headed for Gran Canaria.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

SAA used to route through Ilho do Sal (sic ?) and before that Rio but I don't recall PA ever following those routings. Honestly, I can't think of any other viable African stops other than Dakar. So - let's go with that even though I don't quite get the relevance with regard to the 707. Unless the stop was in, like, Monrovia! (Best flown to via a B-Cal VC10 out of LGW in my humble opinion)
Neither Dakar nor Monrovia are correct.

I, too, would have liked to have flown to Monrovia on a B Cal VC-10 out of LGW, especially if I was spending the night in Monrovia, then taking a DC-3 from Roberts Field to Spriggs Payne the next day. However, to reduce stress, I would make sure I had a Liberian visa.....
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I am going to go with LPA - Las Palmas, Gran Canaria. Not remembering anything about PA other than fleetingly with its '70s and '80s Pacific operations (never knew PA flew to Afric south of the Sahara!), I never could figure out why the PA 747 that was involved in the Tenerife collision was headed for Gran Canaria.
The stop was not on Las Palmas, or for that matter, on any of the islands in the Atlantic.

The 747 destroyed at Tenerife was flying to Las Palmas on a charter flight; most of the passengers aboard were due to board a cruise ship at LPA to explore the Mediterranean.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
7- nobody ever said that the stop was in Africa ... I don't recall any PA services from Europe to JNB, so I'll speculate that the change of gauge occurred at Rio de Janeiro
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Hmm... looking at a map of Africa against what I remember of Pan Am's routes, I just can't see anywhere that would seem to work per 1976. Is it possible Pan Am also routed through South America? If so, let's give Rio de Janeiro a try. The 747 makes sense from JFK to Rio but I find myself still a bit lost as to the 707's benefit onward except that perhaps the onward traffic didn't warrant the larger 747.

Ah, I see jrl767 has beat me to it by 3 minutes! In that case I'll submit as my second choice Buenos Aires (EZE) as the intermediate stop.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 9, 2017 at 9:26 am
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:29 am

7- nobody ever said that the stop was in Africa ... I don't recall any PA services from Europe to JNB, so I'll speculate that the change of gauge occurred at Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro is correct. This route was flown 2x week. On Thursday, it was a 747, changing to a 707 at GIG. On Monday, it was a 707 all the way.

What's really interesting is that the schedule for the return flight shows one stop between JNB and GIG, but the location of this stop doesn't show up in the schedules section of the timetable, the route map, or the detailed flight itineraries at the very back. My guess is that the 707 needed to pick up fuel at an airport that had a lower elevation than JNB to make it across the south Atlantic - but where?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
What's really interesting is that the schedule for the return flight shows one stop between JNB and GIG, but the location of this stop doesn't show up in the schedules section of the timetable, the route map, or the detailed flight itineraries at the very back. My guess is that the 707 needed to pick up fuel at an airport that had a lower elevation than JNB to make it across the south Atlantic - but where?
Did PA ever serve CPT? It would follow that CPT could have been a stop as I recall MH's service to EZE certainly flew KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE. The tech stops can be a devil to trace.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

4. On Fridays, Pan Am has a flight from Montevideo to New York City that makes just one intermediate stop. (a. name the stop, and the equipment. (b. on other days of the week, this flight makes another stop. Name the 2nd stop.

A. I'm gonna go with what would seem to be the obvious - MVD-Buenos Aires-New York with a 707

B. Let's go MVD-EZE-Rio de Janeiro-New York - once again with the 707

5. You arrive at the World Port at 6:50 AM on Saturday morning, and decide to stop at the Clipper Club. You are really surprised at how few flights to Europe Pan Am has from JFK. Two cities are served 2x day, one city is served 1x day, and one city is served 3x week. Name the 4 cities, and the equipment used to each of them.

Hmm... well, London definitely seems like good choice for the twice a day service. I want to say Paris too but Frankfurt makes more sense for 2X given the mini-hub operation there. So then - Paris once a day annnnnnnd, geez, I dunno... let's go with Amsterdam for the thrice weekly.

Wish me luck!

Per YVR Cockroach: Did PA ever serve CPT? It would follow that CPT could have been a stop as I recall MH's service to EZE certainly flew KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE. The tech stops can be a devil to trace.

I agree. And I was just thinking that as much as it seems Capetown would be worthy of mention in the timetable as a stop if not a marketable destination, perhaps Windhoek - 720 miles to the west in what was still South African ruled territory - might be another option.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 10, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4. On Fridays, Pan Am has a flight from Montevideo to New York City that makes just one intermediate stop. (a. name the stop, and the equipment. (b. on other days of the week, this flight makes another stop. Name the 2nd stop.

A. I'm gonna go with what would seem to be the obvious - MVD-Buenos Aires-New York with a 707

B. Let's go MVD-EZE-Rio de Janeiro-New York - once again with the 707

5. You arrive at the World Port at 6:50 AM on Saturday morning, and decide to stop at the Clipper Club. You are really surprised at how few flights to Europe Pan Am has from JFK. Two cities are served 2x day, one city is served 1x day, and one city is served 3x week. Name the 4 cities, and the equipment used to each of them.

Hmm... well, London definitely seems like good choice for the twice a day service. I want to say Paris too but Frankfurt makes more sense for 2X given the mini-hub operation there. So then - Paris once a day annnnnnnd, geez, I dunno... let's go with Amsterdam for the thrice weekly.

Wish me luck!

Per YVR Cockroach: Did PA ever serve CPT? It would follow that CPT could have been a stop as I recall MH's service to EZE certainly flew KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE. The tech stops can be a devil to trace.

I agree. And I was just thinking that as much as it seems Capetown would be worthy of mention in the timetable as a stop if not a marketable destination, perhaps Windhoek - 720 miles to the west in what was still South African ruled territory - might not.
It doesn't happen often with these quizzes, but sometimes, the obvious answer is also the correct answer. MVD-EZE-JFK and MVD-EZE-GIG-JFK are both correct!

LHR and FRA were both served 2x day from JFK with 747s.

AMS was not served nonstop from JFK at this time. It was served 2x week via LHR, with a 747 going all the way through.

1976 was after the PA / TW route swap took effect, so PA did not serve Paris from anywhere in the world. The route map in the timetable shows a lonely dot representing the Paris Inter Continental hotel, but no lines connecting it to anywhere else.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
5- I would guess Rome (FCO) was a daily 747 flight; perhaps Brussels (BRU) with 3x/week 707 service
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
8. Your flight gets into JNB on Friday night. On Saturday, you are able to get the Bobcat working again. On Sunday, you fly to Nairobi, and on Monday you complete the repairs to the Monarch.

On Monday afternoon, Pan Am has a 5 stop from Nairobi to JFK. Name all 5 stops, and the equipment used.
I venture 707 flying NBO-CAI-ATH-FCO-FRA-LHR-JFK
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:58 am

5- I would guess Rome (FCO) was a daily 747 flight; perhaps Brussels (BRU) with 3x/week 707 service
Rome is correct.

Brussels is incorrect. PA served BRU 5x week with a 1 stop 747, via LHR. The other two days were the days the 747 went JFK-LHR-AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.